Running Stamina

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by betrir, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. betrir

betrir New Member

I run very fast but My Stamina is low?
    How can I increase Stamina?

2. Makenzie Miller

Makenzie Miller New Member

Hey betrir!
    Before I joined the ROTC program at my university, I had to improve my own stamina for the 1.5 mile test. What I found most helpful, initially, was the Couch to 5k plan, found here: http://www.c25k.com/. It is designed to improve the stamina and speed of a person who can't necessarily run even a mile, to being able to run a 5k. There are other plans for various fitness levels and distances as well.

If you are already a fairly decent runner, but find yourself unable to maintain your desired speed for long, I recommend running on a treadmill. This tip was passed on to me by a Master Gunnery Sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps, who found that running on a treadmill at a set speed prevented him from inevitably slowing down ever so slightly during his runs, and, instead, forced him to maintain a single speed throughout, eventually improving his both his speed and his stamina.

Another exercise that is fantastic for improving stamina is running 400 meter sprints. These push you past your aerobic threshold into your anaerobic threshold. If you do these regularly, I'm sure you will see results fairly quickly!

Hope this helped, and good luck with your fitness goals!

3. Jreshard91

Jreshard91 New Member

I think one of the best ways to increase stamina is to constantly run and do excercise. Also pushing your endurance to the max is a good way to increase stamina and get the most out of your workout !

4. GGGRRR

GGGRRR New Member

Instead of running as fast as you can, or even running to the point that you are breathing heavily, for a short period of time try running for a longer period of time but slower and once you get comfortable running for that longer period of time start breaking up your runs with periods of faster running and slower running. Eventually the faster pace will become your normal pace.

Additionally, focus on strengthening your body, especially your abs and hips. Having a strong, stable body will allow you to conserve energy while running and help you avoid injuries and soreness.

5. JericSanchez

JericSanchez New Member

For me to increase my stamina is i'll consistently jog everyday of my life for 1 hour it's one of the best way to keep me healthy and because of that not only my stamina increases also my focus on everything i do and i feel great every time,every day because i did a exercise that is so very simple but not most people can do. doing it consistently makes me strong and boost my confidence that i can do everything what i want to do in my life.

6. IvanLim25

IvanLim25 New Member

Running is a natural thing for us humans, there are studies saying we humans has evolved for running, meaning our body are made to run, but sprinting versus long distance running is very different from each other, we use different muscled when we sprint compare to long distance running, but the good news is we can train our body whether we want to be run fast like Usain Bolt or run a marathon like Eliud Kipchoge. I started running 5 months ago to stay fit and healthy, the first was easy, adrenaline is rushing through my body, but as soon as you feel the sore in the body it's really hard just to stay on running schedule and discipline my body, so I decided to do research on workouts on long distance running to keep myself motivated. Number one rule is to never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10 percent, just increase your weekly mileage increase within 10%, this is to keep you away from injuries, second is you need to incorporate three kind of work outs every week, these are; tempo-run, interval work outs and long runs. Temp-run is to run 80% effort, not too slow but not too fast, as long as you can carry a quick conversation while running is a tempo-run, interval work outs are fast - timed run which is done on a interval basis, for example 10X400 meters on maximum effort, this will train your heart to be strong, while long runs are slow distance running, you forget about the time and how fast you go, the only goal is to run as far as you can, incorporate this workouts weekly, for example is you will have 3 tempo runs, 2 interval runs 1 long distance running every week, and I guarantee you, you will not only run farther but also faster.

7. Karlo Baltazar

Karlo Baltazar New Member

If you are looking to increase your stamina, then you should work on pacing.

We will create a make-shift pacing program. It will be a 4 week program, with 4 days of running each week.
    Let's say you run a 9 minute mile (just an example).
    For Day 1 of your 1st week, you will run that mile, without stopping (just a continuous pace), and try to get around the 9 minute mark.
    For Day 2, you will run the same pace, but do only 3/4 of a mile.
    Day 3 will be only 1/2 of a mile at the same pace.
    Day 4 will be 1/4 of a mile at the same pace.
    It's important to run all these paces at your initial time for the first day. So if you ran a 9 minute mile on Day 1, Day 2 should be around 6 minutes and 45 seconds, and Day 3 should be around 4 minutes and 30 seconds, and Day 4 should be around 2 minutes and 15 seconds.

Rest for 2 or 3 days and move onto Week 2.

Now for Day 1 of your 2nd week, you will run a full mile but at a 8 minute and 30 second pace. You will then repeat the first weeks procedure, but keep the pace at 8 minutes and 30 seconds.

Week 3 will be at 8 minutes, and week 4 will be at 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

Now you can push this, depending on your athleticism, and have your 2nd week be at a 8 minute pace, 3rd week at 7 minute pace, and 4th week at a 6 minute pace.

8. HiImFi

HiImFi New Member

Another C25K fan here! The program might seem a bit slow at first, but if you follow it to the letter, it really works. That means doing the running intervals and breaks exactly the way the plan tells you to and also not running more often than 3 days a week either. You really build up stamina and after a few months you'll be able to run a comfortable 5K. There's even a follow-up program that gets you up to running 10K.

If you have a smartphone, there are lots of C25K apps that take you through the program and do all the organization work for you. You just need to run when the app tells you to. Good luck!

9. porkkyextra

porkkyextra Member

You should drink lots of water, eat egg and banana, have enough sleep, and always practice. These are the easiest combinationto get better stamina. I was a swimmer when i was in highschool. I do this every morning and somehow i managed to improve my stamina