Smartphone or Computer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Voadthanaa, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Voadthanaa

Voadthanaa New Member

Many of the tasks you can do on a computer, you can also do on a smartphone or tablet. The computing power of a flagship smartphone generally rivals the best laptops and desktop computers of about five years ago. However, with the aid of multiple processors, 6+ gigabytes of RAM, and powerful graphics hardware, the best smartphones and tablets can be as powerful as a mid-range desktop computer. Also, they can be just as expensive.

If you're deciding whether your next device upgrade should be a desktop computer or a mobile device, there are some key points to consider. Below are some descriptions of the key differences and similarities of each.

1. Power
    -Computer: If you want high performance, the CPU will use a lot of electricity. The TDP of a powerful desktop computer can range from 100 to 600 watts, or more. That's why high-performance computers are plugged into a wall: they use a lot of power. They also generate a lot of heat, often requiring large heat sinks (passive cooling) as well as fans or liquid cooling (active).
    -Smartphone/Tablet: Smartphones and tablets run on batteries, which means they have to use power as efficiently as possible. It would not be feasible to provide raw, constant CPU power to a device powered by such a small battery. So the newest smartphone will not give you as much power as a top-of-the-line desktop computer - in the foreseeable future, anyway. Mobile devices are getting more powerful every day, but traditional computers will always have the performance edge due to consistent access to more electricity.

2. Cost
    -Computer: Prices for a computer can vary widely, depending on its capabilities, storage, and features. A mid-range computer usually costs between $500 and $800, and some of that cost can be offset if you already own peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. More powerful computers will cost you between $1000 and $300, or more.
    -Smartphone/Tablet: The price of a smartphone is often folded into the cost of a multi-year contract with a mobile services provider, such as Verizon or AT&T. Refurbished smartphones can usually be purchased on sites such as eBay or Amazon for $100-$300, and a flagship smartphone, brand new, can cost as much as $800. Tablets, depending on size, usually cost between $300 and $700.

3. Screen size
    -Computer: Desktop computers can connect to a wide variety of monitors, allowing you to invest as much or as little as you want into that component of your computer. Most modern computer monitors are LCDs. Depending on their size, quality, and features, they generally cost between $50 and $600 (although some can cost much more). Their resolutions generally range from 1600x900 to 2560x1600. With a 4K monitor, your computer can display resolutions of 3840x2160. Laptops typically feature screen sizes between 13" and 17", with resolutions ranging from 1336x768 and 2880x1800.
    -Smartphone/Tablet: Smartphone screeds vary somewhat depending on the manufacturer and model. The Apple iPhone 7 has a 4.7" screen, and runs at a resolution of 750x1334. The HTC 10 Android phone on the other had has 5.2" screen and a display resolution of 1440x2560.

4. Portability
    -Computer: Laptop computers, of course, are portable by design. Desktop computers on the other hand are not usually considered portable, but there are exceptions. A NUC, for example, is typically no more than 5" wide and long, and less than 2" high, with a weight slightly more than 1 lb. Computers designed for the Mini-ITX form factor are also highly portable, with the smallest cases sized about 8"x8"x3". Some Mini-ITX cases are even designed with a handle on top, which is great for gamers, for example, who might want to bring their machine to a LAN party.
    -Smartphone/Tablet: Smartphones are lightweight and can fit in a purse or pocket. They are designed to be taken everywhere with you - the very definition of portability. A tablet won't fit into your pocket, but they're light and you can carry them in one hand.

5. Storage
    -Computer: Consumer hard drive capacities already exceed one terabyte (TB) and they continue to increase in size. Even the most basic computer comes with a 250 gigabyte (GB) hard drive today. This applies to both desktop and laptop computers. Netbooks such as the Google Chromebook, which is designed primarily for working within a web browser, sometimes offer only 15 or 32 GB of space. You can always add additional internal hard disks to your desktop computer, as long as your have available drive bays and interface connections available. An external hard disk can be added to desktop, laptop, and netbook computers.
    -Smartphone/Tablet: Most smartphones and tablets come with between 8 GB and 64 GB of build-in storage. In some cases, an expansion slot may be available for additional memory chip providing removable storage. Smartphones and tablets will offer less storage capacity than a computer, and their components cannot be modified like a computer's. It's a good idea to know how much storage you require before purchasing your device, and factor that into your decision.

6. Connectivity
    -Computer: Desktop computers generally come with Ethernet capability, either on the motherboard or a discrete NIC. Most desktop computers require a peripheral device, such as a USB Wi-Fi adapter, to connect to wireless networks. Most laptops include both Wi-Fi and Ethernet networking as a standard feature.
    -Smartphone/Tablet: Smartphones and tablets can connect to Wi-Fi networks for Internet access. Also, smartphones can connect a mobile data network, and many tablets offer mobile data connectivity as an option. These tablets can also usually make phone calls on your mobile network. Mobile data comes at a premium, however: most mobile data plans offer a set amount of data that can use per month, offering additional data at an expensive, metered fee. Speed and consistency of mobile data connections depends on the technology used by your specific device and mobile network.

7. Operating System
    -Computer: Operating systems designed for computers and laptops are full-featured. They are designed to take advantage of fast CPUs, large amounts of disk space, and high amounts of RAM. Also, they take advantage of the features of modern chipsets that are not available on most mobile devices.
    -Smartphone/Tablet: Mobile operating systems (primarily Android, iOS, and Windows Mobile) are specialized for a specific set of devices. By default, they don't offer you complete access to your system hardware (Administrator or "root" access). They also have stricter hardware requirements because the ecosystem of mobile apps and devices is strongly connected to specific hardware features on the newest hardware. In other words, you can't run the newest apps on an older mobile OS and the newest mobile OS won't run on a significantly old device.

8. Data entry and user input

-Computer: A computer uses a keyboard for data entry that most users are familiar with and comfortable using. The mouse is also available for easy scrolling and clicking.
    -Smartphone/Tablet: Smartphones feature an on-screen touch keyboard that is much smaller than that of a standard computer. The smaller keyboard can make typing more difficult for users, especially for those who have big fingers. Some smartphones feature a slide-out keyboard with actual keys to press. Again, this keyboard is much smaller than a standard smaller than a standard computer keyboard and can still be difficult for some users.

2. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the post. I was thinking of getting a smartphone for the purpose of doing some work online but I feel that carrying a laptop is too cumbersome. Though I plan to buy a laptop, I will buy a smartphone first because it is easier to carry and I can do my work even if I am not at home. This was very enlightening. Thanks again.

3. Mbun5011

Mbun5011 New Member

I totally agree that if you are planning to work online jobs you need to opt for a computer to be able to do the task at hand that is expected from you because in reality smartphones can help you yet it will not sustain the expectations that is set for working a full time job online.

4. joanarc321

joanarc321 Member

I prefer smartphone than computer. I am very fond of knowing what the whole world is talking about, updates on fashion trends, on showbiz news, so definitely need a smartphone where I can bring it with me and search in the net anytime and anywhere. It really depends upon your purpose of using the two gadgets. If you are more on finding jobs online then computer is way better than smartphone.

5. masterryan31

masterryan31 Member

The point of comparison between the computer and mobile devices are all correct. So the question whether which is better will now rely on the actual user. It depends on what task are you going to do, and what your lifestyle is, and from thereon you may decide what's the best device for you.
    For example, if you're always on the go, then obviously it's the mobile gadget that's best for you. On the other, if you're doing multi tasking and high performance tasks, and just comfortable in staying at home, then it's better to settle for an ever reliable PC.

6. qualf

qualf New Member

I would choose the smartphone because, even if I can do a lot of things that I can't do on others devices, I spend most of the time on my phone and I take it with me wherever I go.

7. michpiong

michpiong Member

I cannot choose only one because I need both. I need smartphone for my daily work and I can easily carry this. While in computer, it is much better than phones because some of application or site can do better using computer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. markjames1054

markjames1054 New Member

Smartphones are far better than computers because they are handy, easily accessible and convenient. Take, for example, if you happen to search for something over the internet, there is no need for you to bring your computer. Just use your smartphones to toggle search web conveniently and easily without hassle. And besides, smartphones don't need a direct electrical charge, they have batteries that can operate for hours of working, unlike computers that do need electricity.

9. JAO022

JAO022 New Member

for me it is more comfortable to use smart phone when checking email search on google and its games past time. It is also used in business such as buy and sell and much more. but the computer is more powerful than many things. such as program applications needed by smartphones. video photo editing. when it comes to multi tasking the computer is easier to use.

10. userhichou1

userhichou1 Member

computer Of course

11. a21270003

a21270003 New Member

People say that a Computer and a smartphone are the same thing, but they aren't, they are similar.

12. ajithak47

ajithak47 New Member

I hope all the people in the world have their own Smartphone or Computer. and both of these have their unique quality to provide or help people to lead their life smoothly and correctly computer make the most amount of thing then smartphone but smartphone is look like a compact and perfect . I think both of these is useful to us!

13. leony13

leony13 Member

Many of the tasks you can do on a computer, you can also do on a smartphone. The computing power of a flagship smartphone generally rivals the best laptops and desktop computers of about five years ago. However, with the aid of multiple processors, 6+ gigabytes of Ram, and powerful graphics hardware, the best smartphones and tablets can be as powerful as a mid-range desktop computer. Also, they can be just as expensive.

14. Swaggy890

Swaggy890 New Member

Smartphone. It basically is a mini modern computer nowadays in everyday life from surfing the web, checking emails , calling and interacting through social media all through the comfort of your pocket.

15. Georgeliner

Georgeliner Member

smartphone this days is everything makes life easy and its portable.

16. yacinezahi

yacinezahi New Member

Computer wide screen

17. mohab120

mohab120 New Member

computer for sure

18. sheennayu

sheennayu New Member

smartphones and computers are very relevant nowadays it has its own pupose and uses for students and workers. maybe just a reminder for everyone use your gadgets properly and take care of it.

19. Jaysahu

Jaysahu New Member

Smartphone because nowadays computer every features also in smartphone.smartphone is very lighterligh in comparison to computer.

20. RICHDADDY

RICHDADDY Member

Let's take an example which is biased for computers. I am a freelancer and I spend a lot of time with computer. I work on my computer for 6 hours at home for an average of eight hours a day. My smartphone. I use it every time, during office (casual chat, social networking and all), travel (songs, games), at home (chat, songs, etc). Its more than eight hours
    So Smatphones win.:)

21. missmelon17

missmelon17 Member

I think that though both of them functions kind of the same, there is still that little difference that tells them apart just like how human beings are completely unique. For this matter, i must say that both would be beneficial for us and is important because they serve their own purpose but if you were to chose which to buy first. I must suggest that you go and buy a smartphone first and then invest for a computer later on.

22. milkyways

milkyways New Member

Can I pick both? I like smartphones because it is very easy to carry and you can bring it anywhere. You can also listen to music, play games and do whatever you want. I also like computer since it can do things that smartphones can't do. I usually use computer/laptop for work purposes while smartphones for entertainment purposes.

23. xyrusjosh

xyrusjosh New Member

Most users today have both a smartphone and a computer in their home. They use a smartphone for phone calls, messaging, browsing the Internet, reading e-mail, and other small jobs and use a computer for more complicated projects or work. If you are trying to decide between only a smartphone or a computer, also consider a tablet or a hybrid computer, which offers the best of both a laptop and tablet.

Finally, if you're considering a smartphone but don't think you'll use the Internet much, we highly recommend purchasing a feature phone instead of a smartphone to avoid monthly data costs.

At the end both technologies or device is worth it to use in any ways., i cannot say or choose both are better

24. vincedprince

vincedprince Member

I am surprised that no one mentioned in their answers that technically mobile is a computer. So this is a wrong question.
    Definition of computer is “an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program”
    So there is no difference between mobile and computer.

25. vincedprince

vincedprince Member

But at present Mobile phone are providing everything from which you can do your work on your smartphone itself.
    But if you want to use some high end applications you can't use it on smartphones then u have to use computers.
    The thing is smartphone are probably becoming computers in small size.

26. marloarpo

marloarpo New Member

I prefer to use computer. The good thing about computer is you can do everything to make your job easier. You have the big screen and more efficient than phone. You can create documents for projects where easy to present to your clients. Whatever you can't do with your phone the computer does. If you worried about gaming where you can play it in android using "apk" format, you can download emulator such as Bluestacks will allow you to play games like you do in your phone. You can play whatever games you wanted.

27. Frenetic2510

Frenetic2510 New Member

Prefiero un celular inteligente por que es mas necesario en la vida cotidiana

28. I prefer computer because you cam do anything in it.
    While in smartphone you have your limitation.

29. jcvenom

jcvenom New Member

I both use a smartphone and a computer, its because there are limits to what one can do with the device. Smartphones are easy, handy and very useful in storing data, messages, appointments and other necessary things, although it also lacks the more complex features of a computer. The computer on the other hand holds all the data, files and important documents together, plus the amount of games it can carry on its hard drive is astounding. The only downfall of a computer is that you can't put it inside your pocket.