Snack, good or bad, what`s your favorite?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by keithann, Aug 15, 2013.

1. keithann

keithann Member

That`s a hard question for me. I love chocolate of course, but their are some other wonderful snacks out there that can help you keep your hands out of the cookie jar. If I am really craving chocolate then I have a Doves chocolate. Usually more than one. (Afterall, they do have sayings on the inside of the wrapper.) Low calorie wise, I like Slim-Fast shakes and alot of times that will curb my craving. Other times I go for the Reese Pieces.

2. looop123

looop123 New Member

My goodness, this is my weakness, snacks. Sometimes it seems like that
    s all I have the appetite for. So I have 1 or two days out of the month where I indulge myself. I eat whatever I want. That could be ice cream, Doritoes, corn chips (I have an affinity for fried corn). I try not to let it get out of hand. When I have my snack days, I don't feel guilty. So, I'm not prone to emotional eating. That's when I feel guilty, then I eat more junk, then I feel guilty so I eat even more junk and so on.
    When I'm not on a snack day I try to eat some healthy snacks. I love tomatoes, celery and peppers mixed together with low fat honey mustard dressing, mmm. I also try to look online for new ideas for healthy snacks to keep things interesting.

3. TroLLarch

TroLLarch New Member

Almond, apple, peanuts, nuts, grapes are some of my favorites. All of them are healthy and they make you feel full.
    But take notice that apples contain a lot of sugar and all kinds of nuts contain fat which you need but you don't need a lot of it to keep your stomach flat.

4. ash87

ash87 New Member

Snacks are an important part of any diet in my opinion. It depends on what I'm craving at that time but a few healthy choices I keep in mind are things like Almonds, Dark Chocolate (85% cocoa), frozen blueberries or some cheese. If I'm in a not so healthy mood I'll have some milk chocolate. I'm a big chocolate fan!

5. eveprimrose

eveprimrose New Member

I adore snacking but find that it's the easiest way to consume a lot of carbohydrates without even paying attention to it, and pretty soon I have to deal with an extra layer of flab on my belly. So when we talk about "favorite" snacks, guilt definitely makes me like certain foods less. My favorite sort-of-guilt-free snack is organic cacao nibs--they have a great chocolate aftertaste even if they're bitter, they've got a caffeine kick, and they don't cause my body to go into sugar-high tailspin. I've found them perfect especially for long drives, when I need to snack to stay alert.

6. Superjoy

Superjoy New Member

I love to snack too. I tend to go for the sweet kinds of snacks, like cookies, in the evening, but during the day, nuts or apple slices seem to do the trick. I think I like the "crunch" of snacks almost as much as the taste.

7. jackson chen

jackson chen New Member

I love to snack on healthy foods such as nuts/fruit mixed with dark chocolate. I love the fact that dark chocolate is high in antioxidants and it tastes great! If only chips and lollies were healthy for us ):

8. flipperchi

flipperchi Member

My favorite snack is those mint girl scout cookies. I always feel bad when people offer them to me, because I will sit there and eat the entire box. If I was Superman, mint girl scout cookies would be my kryptonite.

9. Myrton

Myrton New Member

I like to snack on sunflower seeds. I like the salted ones in the shell, so I don't feel like I'm eating way too many in one sitting. I can grab a handful and it will take me a while to get through them all, otherwise I'd be mindlessly snacking and before I knew it I'd have eaten an entire bag of chips. Not good. This helps me curb that a little bit.

10. PHdaryl

PHdaryl New Member

Some people think that snacking makes them fatter, but I believe otherwise. I eat five meals a day, three full meals and two snacks. Studies have shown that this kind of eating pattern has a lot of benefits like weight management and sustaining energy. Snacking makes your metabolism work faster for a healthier diet.

I can relate to this as snacking helps me not to binge during lunch or dinner time. Whenever I don't eat a snack, I always feel famished by dinner. Now, I have made a habit to grab an apple or a banana whenever I get hungry midway through my day. Sometimes, I also take a few pieces of almonds or cashews.

11. Mochaminx

Mochaminx New Member

My fav good snack is edamame. It's crunchy, a wee bit salty, filling, full of fiber and portable. My fave bad snack is ice cream. Although I did purchase and ice cream maker so I can start making healthier versions with almond and coconut milk.

12. Roechelle Adair

Roechelle Adair New Member

I have been on a health kick for the past few years now, however I do allow myself to cheat because being healthy is less about what you shouldn't eat and more about what you should. My favorite snack has to be frozen peppermint patties, if you haven't tried this treat, I suggest you do; it is cooling and really satisfying. yum

13. Monique Bowen

Monique Bowen New Member

Am I the only one with a deep seated love for Frosted Flakes? I can't eat the stuff for breakfast (we're all about good, hot breakfasts), but for a late night snack, I'm all over Tony the tiger. Other than that, I like kettle corn or (and this is a bit strange) green tea with half and half. I'm probably the only person on earth who doesn't like chocolate. :eek:

14. PabloDaDiablo

PabloDaDiablo New Member

Chips are my guilty pleasure! Potato chips are at the top of the heap, followed by cheese puffs and popcorn. I go bonkers over Frito Lay's and Doritos chips. Partner that with a good salsa and I'll be oblivious to the world. On the sweeter side, I love chocolate only if it's mixed with something else. Crunch, Ferrero Rochet, Snickers, Reese's, etc.

15. dieselfit

dieselfit New Member

I love all kinds of foods especially ones that send vibes of pleasure through my taste buds!

Now for snacks, it really depends on my mood. If I'm feeling really hungry and I'm too busy to cook up a meal, I'll eat oatmeal. The reason for that is because oatmeal keeps me full for longer and has the perfect type of carbohydrates that help stabilize energy and blood sugar levels throughout the day.

If I just worked out, I'll feel the need to eat something simple like a sugary snack. This helps with replenishing my glycogen levels (energy) and keeps my blood sugar from going too low.

I used to eat all kinds of junk foods when I was 17, funny enough now I don't even have any cravings at all for it. I think the reason for this is because I watch what I eat on a daily basis and my diet is full of protein, carbohydrates and fats. These three food types will help with cravings and keeping me from going on a eating spree!

16. Kasia

Kasia New Member

Snacking is my expertise! Chips are definitely my go-to snack, chocolate leading not too far behind. Several times a year I give up each of these for a one-month period, usually for lent. I always find a way to be sneaky and get those cravings in without breaking my "fast" (I set my own rules of course).

Here are two of my favourites, without feeling too guilty or breaking any of my own rules (eating a chocolate bar or chips during the 30 days):

1. Home-made kale chips:
    Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius
    Wash organic kale and rip into bite-size shreds
    Place onto baking pan lined with parchment paper (not wax paper)
    Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste (lemon, salt, pepper and garlic is what I use)
    Bake until crispy, tossing once or twice during baking (about 10-15 minutes, depending on oven)
    *note: watch closely as kale will blacken and burn quickly if temperature is set too high. You can start off at a lower temperature and bake for longer as well.

2. Home-made chocoalte:
    Mix coconut oil, agave syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice, I also use honey), and coco powder.
    Pour into silicone mold
    Place into freezer for about 30 minutes
    Pop out of mold when ready to eat (only take out what you will be eating at that time, leave the remainder in the freezer until ready to eat as it will melt at room temperature)