Sugar or honey?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by willydakid, May 30, 2016.

1. willydakid

willydakid New Member

Man made sugar and Bee man honey. I really like sugar, plase can someone tell me why to choose honey.

2. Mike Martin

Mike Martin New Member

I really think it just boils down to preference. You might as well throw agave and stevia on the list too! There really is no "healthy" sweetener as they all share calories and some form of processing. However, eliminating processed sweeteners from your diet is never a bad thing, although we like to practice everything in moderation. So I say sweeten as you please! Just don't overdo it!

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 New Member

I prefer sugar over honey even though I know that honey is much more healthy for you. Raw honey (not the fabricated ones) has so many health benefits. Just compare drinking hot milk with honey and then drinking hot milk with sugar. Hot milk with raw honey will be better for you. It will make you sleepy and help if you have a bad cough, for example. Hot milk with sugar, on the other hand, would just taste really gross.

4. aristotlemcdonald

aristotlemcdonald New Member

Natural honey is always my go to sweetener. Holistic practitioners consider it one of natures best all around remedies. Natural honey has been shown to have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Be careful though as children under 1 years of age should not eat honey.

5. Matthew Bonds

Matthew Bonds New Member

I like honey just because it is supposed to be better but also try stevia it doesn't spike your blood sugar and zero calories also it is all natural just do your research and see what is best.

6. kimmy7878

kimmy7878 New Member

By using honey, as opposed to sugar, your body will reap many benefits. Honey is an all natural sweetener that is added to enhance the flavor of many teas and desserts. It contains vitamins and minerals that sugar does not which can help with immune system. Sugar, on the other hand, lacks nutrients and using it constantly can lead to many health risks such as high cholesterol and diabetes.

7. Becky3434

Becky3434 New Member

I enjoy honey, especially with the added benefit of helping our decreasing bee population by supporting honey. If not honey I have agave. I find sugar is already in most foods so I try not to literally directly add more.

Honeycomb13 likes this.
  8. Honeycomb13

Honeycomb13 New Member

First off, honey is extremely beneficial to the human body, specifically created for the human body via our beautiful buddies the honey bees (the endless health benefits aren't just coincidence as many people would think). It's made mostly of sucrose which is a form of sugar made up of glucose and fructose. These simple sugars help regulate blood sugar levels in the body whereas refined sugar does the complete opposite.

Refined sugar is extracted from either sugar cane or sugar beets(majority of which is GMO/ Genetically modified which is highly damaging to the body) through a very daunting and exhausting manufacturing process. Refined sugar is processed through the body very quickly and causes insulin levels and blood pressure and numerous other things to soar and surge. While natural sugars like fructose and sucrose etc. are very important and play key roles in the human body, refined sugar is a highly processed food that contains no nutrients to give and is also bad for the teeth (among other things)

Honey is jam packed with various antioxidants and flavanoids that reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. It reduces countless gastrointestinal disorders like ulcers etc. it's known to soothe coughs and soar throats (which is why it's a well known remedy to give a warm cup of tea and honey to the children or to take one for yourself should you catch a small cough or cold). It's a wellknown healent all over the world in 'traditional' and Natural medicine. Honey boosts the medicinal properties of whatever herbs (if making an herbal concoction) it's added to. The darker the honey the more antioxidants it contains and the more robust the flavor. The lighter the honey the sweeter the taste but I believe has more enzymes if I'm not mistaken. Honey reduces impotence, erectile dysfunction and it promotes gorgeous glowing skin whether applied topically or taken inwardly. Honey is a good source of lactobacilli which is a bacterium located in the lining of the gut (a probiotic or the 'good' bacteria) which is a very essential component of protecting the gut from an overgrowth of fungi or 'bad' bacteria which is known to promote an acidic and parasitic environment.

An overabundance of refined sugar or starchy intake can and has been known to breed grounds for parasites and fungus overgrowth in the human body which is also known to effect emotions, thoughts, and cravings that adhere to feeding strengthening and maintaining said parasites (hence sugar cravings and cravings for sweets like cakes, baked goods, muffins, etc. a lot of which occurs near nightfall as parasitic activity is highest at night) Where refined sugar feeds said parasites, honey (and all it's antibacterial antioxidant enzyme and nutrient rich qualities) helps to kill off the candida inside the body and heal the damage done as well. Honey energizes the body and is a natural preservative because it never spoils and can be a good replacement for anyone who cans fruits etc. any bottled honey sold in markets with expiration dates is not real honey but refined sugar/ high fructose corn syrup.

Honey's a brain booster an energy booster an immune system booster and anti cancer... Honey's fricken superman.. AND it's delicious and sweet... you know the saying 'you can't have your cake and eat it too' well with honey... you can ... admittedly I'm a devout Honey loyalist but to me the question is more so: Why NOT Honey?

All those benefits and it doesn't taste like a foot? You get to be healthy AND sort of indulgent but that's just my opinion ha, hope this helped!

9. Honeycomb13

Honeycomb13 New Member

Hahah FACTS Sister!! They've got added sugar in water bottles nowadays. I just went to the store today trying to stock up on some canned vegetables and there's just sugar in everything. What does a can of spinach need sugar for? I try my best to cut off on the refined stuff but I'm still in transition, sometimes a good Payday just hits the spot but one step at a time! Have a great day!

10. Rizwan Aziz

Rizwan Aziz New Member

Although sugar has better taste, but one should prefer honey over sugar because honey provides more health related benefits as compared to sugar.

11. Shelbs

Shelbs New Member

Honey is the elixir of life. Not only is it completely healthy, it never spoils, it helps with allergy issues, it's a natural energy booster, and it tastes amazing! Honey can be expensive, especially if you buy it from local farmers. However, it lasts for an amazingly long time. If it has been sitting for a while and has crystallized, all you have to do is sit the jar or bottle of honey into a bowl of hot water until the crystals melt. Honey is a natural cure for many allergy problems. It's like a flu shot - you are giving yourself a dose of what you are trying to fight off. Honey is also a natural sugar, so it boosts your energy without the added calories. Even Powerade has high fructose corn syrup in it, so it's not necessarily healthy. I know taste is an individual matter, but if you like the flavor of honey, I highly suggest using it instead of sugar, even raw sugar!

12. Taya McMillan

Taya McMillan New Member

Reach for the honey!
    Sugar is just sucrose, which is made up of two molecules bonded together, glucose and fructose. Our bodies use their own enzymes to break sugar down, whereas honey is directly absorbed by our bodies. When bees produce honey they are able to add a special enzyme to the nectar that divides the sucrose into glucose and fructose. Due to this, white sugar raises our body's blood glucose levels at a faster rate, and to a higher extent, causing more significant problems in life. White sugar has been connected to increasing risks for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some forms of cancers.
    Although neither sugar or honey provide a large amount of nutrients, honey does contain antioxidants and some trace elements, whereas sugar goes through much more processing and contains absolutely no beneficial nutrients.

13. mabzter

mabzter New Member

I choose honey as it is natural and lots of benefits to our body not like sugar which is high in fructose that might cause you to have diabetes. Some countries like Thailand used honey as part of food consumption for those patient in recovery period.

14. pumapipa

pumapipa New Member

Well it depends on the kind of sugar. Coco sugar and Muscovado sugar are healthy options. Personally I prefer to use honey. Honey has many uses, be it in cooking and baking or as natural medicine. Based on my research honey plays a key role in asthmatic patients ( my husband is a known asthmatic) the mere scent of honey prevents asthma attack. Taking a tablespoonful of honey before going to bed prevents this so-called nocturnal asthma attack. Actually, celebrities here in the Philippines already use honey as a way to lose weight. They simply mix honey and lemon and drink it before going to bed. This, according to them speeds up their metabolism while they sleep. I just hope honey is as pure and inexpensive here in our country.

Kakawate likes this.
  15. Kakawate

Kakawate New Member

I agree with what pumapipa said. With all the health benefits that honey can give, it can also be of great help and use when it comes to preparing a meal. Using honey doesn't just help to elevate your dish, it also provide lots of help when it comes to keeping your family healthy.

16. Harvie

Harvie New Member

Natural honey has a greater benefits than sugar. Honey can cure some illnesses.

17. semi_174

semi_174 New Member

I used to consume sugar with all my hot drinks like coffee, tea, mint & peppermint. Then, three years ago, I decided to quit sugar at once and it has been a great experience with amazing results. All my family has followed me in this practice and the positive side is that I can taste the drink better and I have more satisfaction when having my hot drink. However, if you need to choose between sugar or honey, then I suggest to go with high quality honey because it has many benefits to your health when consumed reasonably.

18. jasmine-m

jasmine-m New Member

I prefer honey to sugar. Honey is not just a sweetening agent. It has many medicinal properties. Nowadays, it is very hard to find pure honey. The store- bought ones are not as healthy as we think, because they are loaded with preservatives. Still it is better to stay away from sugar. It is one of the most unhealthy foods. Try to avoid sugar whenever it is possible and stay healthy.

19. b1gjaw

b1gjaw New Member

Honey.. has more vitamins and it's a good for the health.

20. itscamzmarie

itscamzmarie New Member

As a diabetic patient, I need to consume sugar-free goods to live a longer life. I think it's a good idea to consume honey and according to my doctor, it's much safer than sugar of course. Honey tea is my life! Health is life so we better decide have a healthier lifestyle now. Let's choose honey!

21. djboe11

djboe11 New Member

22. MOMC.MC

MOMC.MC Member

Preferably, it's honey for me, honey. Some of our foods today already contains lot of sugar, like cakes and sodas. And it's enough to have diabetes if we wouldn't control or manage what we eat with foods that contain sugar. If i'm going for healthy stuffs, better be with honey. Because honey contains disease preventing and disease fighting ingredients. It doesn't spoil and its uses are endless. You can use it on your face, your body and your hair too. Do you know that it can be a natural cough syrup with just a spoon of it with squeezed lemon? Yes, take honey and you'll be on the road to a healthy you. :)

23. OANN

OANN New Member

I would choose honey. Aside from the benefits it gives for our health it is amazing how honey is being made by bees. There's a lot of difference from how it is being made, who made it and how long will it take to produce honey. The prices have a huge difference as well, just shows that honey is much valuable than sugar.

24. Qamer Abbas

Qamer Abbas Member

Sugar is somehow harmful to the health because it is not natural, on the other hand honey is the gift of nature and cures many diseases and also have good nutrients

Abbas Khan likes this.
  25. Jeffrey Dionaldo

Jeffrey Dionaldo New Member

Both, being honest our body needs sugars potential source of the carbohydrates you need daily, but eating too much may increase your risk for certain diseases.Honey is shows more benefits by today to cure sickness and for skin maintaining balance and remove dead cells, can help kill germs and promote healing of minor cuts and burns. You know that honey is more calories than sugar, in this life we needs balance diet...Saying that what you eat is what you are.

26. anor0421

anor0421 New Member

If you want something sweet to your drinks, honey is best most nutritious source of sweetness. There's a lot health benefits that you can get from honey as it contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It can be a powerful immune system booster that can make you healthy and fight disease.

Honey also can help you lose weight because it can help in digesting the fat stored in your body, help in cholesterol metabolism and helps prevent obesity. It has a healthier glycemic index than sugar which means that when you eat honey, it doesn't cause sugar rush, it absorbed to our body and provides stable source of energy. And it is also sweeter than sugar, very rich in sweetness and delicious.

27. Benkings201712

Benkings201712 New Member

Why go for refined (some times synthetic) products while the natural can do even better?
    Apart from being natural, honey has plenty of health benefits including fast healing, clearing of scars gotten from fire burns or the likes.
    Honey all the way!

28. Jimona

Jimona New Member

I choose honey its an organic sweetener and have alot of health benifits. That is good for our body. Some are using it as beauty regimen for the skin and hair because of the vitamines and minerals thatbis present on it.

29. andeng

andeng New Member

When I am about to make my hot tea, I always reach for honey although I expect most of us will go to sugar. If you love to bake and wants to add molasses taste and moisture, then grab a brown sugar. On the other hand, if you prefer a gentle taste, then pick honey.

Honey and sugar both add sweetness to our foods however, their nutritional values vary in so many ways. They are also both made up of carbohydrates consisting of the two types of sugar: glucose and fructose.

Sugar is made of 50 percent glucose and 50 percent fructose. It is typically found in fruits, and is broken down very easily, leading to a surge of blood glucose. While, honey is also made mostly of sugar, but it’s only about 30 percent glucose and less than 40 percent fructose. However, honey also composed of 20 other sugars which are mostly much more complex. It also has dextrin, a type of starchy fiber.

In terms of glycemic index (GI), sugar has higher GI than honey. It means it raises blood sugar levels more quickly. But, sugar has lesser calories in honey. For a tablespoon, sugar has 49 calories while honey has 64. On the other hand, honey is much easier to digest than sugar. Also, honey has lots of medicinal benefits like cough suppresent, allergy relief, wound healing and was found to markedly improve seborrheic dermatitis, an itchy and flaky scalp condition.

All in all, it is better to use honey than sugar however, keep in mind that honey and sugar are both sweeteners. So too much used of honey or sugar can cause:
    • weight gain
    • increased risk of illness
    • blood sugar peaks and crashes
    • increased risk of tooth decay

30. rowena

rowena New Member

I choose honey and I used it as a sweetener, for coffee, milk, tea, shakes and even in baking, especially the so called raw honey it has a lot of benefits in our body, a good antioxidants and it also sooth a sore throat. Honey can also be use in our face, I used it as a cream scrub mixed with lemon and brown sugar, a very good anti-aging agents and will moisturize the skin. I even mixed it with lemon water and drink it every morning. Well is can be used as a gargle, during morning to have a good breath. Honey has tons of benefits. Its a bit pricey, I bought it in Tagaytay the Ilog Maria honey.