Sugar or honey?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by willydakid, May 30, 2016.

1. MarkAndrews

MarkAndrews New Member

I choose honey, and it's simply because it's natural, man-made sugar tend to carry unwanted chemicals that are bad for our body like artificial sweeteners, this can be the cause for blood-related sickness, on the other hand, honey will be the best choice because it is from nature and does not have artificial sweeteners like man-made sugar.

2. ynel03

ynel03 Member

I rather choose Honey. While both honey and sugar need to be consumed in moderation, if you're looking for a way to sweeten up a treat or drink, honey is a clear winner when it comes to a less refined option with added health benefits.

3. Aharb1410

Aharb1410 New Member

Honey definitely has way more health benefits than sugar. Honey is very sweet but your body does not process it as sugar so it does not make your incline levels rise. Also honey is more natural than sugar and is a great way to sweeten something up in a healthy way.

4. jojosef29

jojosef29 New Member

Honey because of its good benefits in our body. But honey is more expensive than sugar if your in a budget I will just buy sugar. Not all store have a honey that you can buy easily.

5. Teezoe74

Teezoe74 New Member

I have to agree with many of these posters. Honey is much healthier than processed sugar. Honey has many health benefits. Another healthy sugar alternative is stevia. You can grow stevia or buy it processed. I still think natural raw honey is the best choice though. Besides, honey tastes a lot better than sugar. Yum!

6. Gribas

Gribas New Member

It is a provocative question. As everyone knows, sugar is not very healthy and overuse of it can cause different diseases like cancer or diabetes. Honey is a natural product but it is not much healthier. A lot of people are allergic to honey and that is a problem. Although honey has antimicrobic agents and contains different special substances, which help people to cure flu, I choose sugar. Sugar has less calories compared with honey.

7. nivramlop

nivramlop New Member

I do believe it's honey but it should be the natural one. Natural honey have many healthy benefits and can be use also as a home remedy also it can be your partner "Honey" haha.

8. gabgab1218

gabgab1218 Member

Honey is way mre healthier than some sugar that have a chemicals and artificial flavors.

9. Scyllune

Scyllune New Member

Honey is far preferable to sugar. It's a little easier on the caloric intake, and if you have a decent supplier of natural honest, you can be sure that there's no real processing of the product. Most of the white sugar on the market, and even the brown sugar found on the shelves, have been treated several times in order to give that pretty product at the end.

The downside with honey is that the taste varies because the different flowers the bees visit lend a different taste to the final product. I've had the pleasure of having honey that tasted like pineapple because the location of the hives bordered a place known for its pineapple plantations. I prefer honey made in places where there are honeysuckle plants or lavender plants, to be honest.

Sugar is more uniform, though. It has place in cooking and baking, but honey's the real winner for me.

10. edbertn

edbertn New Member

I think it is a matter of moderation. I believe that one or the other is not the question. If you are trying to be health conscious, then it should be a matter of how much you are using. One person could say that honey is healthier, but that wouldn't matter if that person is putting 5 tablespoons in their drinks or on their food. You should be able to go with whatever you please, but just use them sparingly.

11. MsClaverhouse

MsClaverhouse New Member

Sadly, I'm not fond of the flavor of honey. I'm certain it has many redeeming qualities but I just never developed a taste for it. So if I were to choose between the two, I would choose sugar for its more neutral flavor profile. With that being said though, I'm much more fond of using maple syrup as a sweetener than either sugar or honey.

12. Charlotte03

Charlotte03 New Member

Always choose natural. Honey is natural sweetener. It has good benefits. Substituting sugar to honey not just gives you a way better benefits, it also gives a different kind of sweetness plus it dissolves more quickly than sugar. So why not choose honey? You have a lot of reason to choose honey. Always go for natural. ;)

13. healthyfit07

healthyfit07 New Member

Anything that is NATURAL is good for health. Sugar is made by processing sugar cane in industries. Sugar is HARMFUL. Honey, on the other hand, made naturally by Honey Bees. Honey is beneficial for health. Honey is a natural sweetener contains vitamins, minerals, and enzymes which has a lot of beneficial effects. Raw honey has more health benefits than processed one.

14. aneworjin

aneworjin New Member

Honey is more beneficial than sugar. Sugar is higher on the glycemic index (GI) than honey, meaning it raises blood sugar levels more quickly. This is due to its higher fructose content, and the absence of trace minerals. But honey has slightly more calories than sugar, although it is sweeter, so less may be required. Both sweeteners can lead to weight gain if overused. Honey has been used since ancient times as both a sweetener and medicine.

15. Plantgal

Plantgal New Member

I prefer honey over sugar. The honey has antioxidants and is not refined. I drink lemon and honey tea instead of a soda. Soda has about 140 calories and my lemon honey water is only 25 calories because I control how sweet to make it.

16. Lana89

Lana89 New Member

They both have the same amount of calories in one teaspoon but honey is more beneficial in improving our health as it has lots of Antioxidants that plays an important role in fighting diseases such as, Cancer .. etc.
    And the enrgy that is transformed from honey intake will last more than sugar intake.

17. Momamba

Momamba New Member

I'd choose honey because it way more healthier and has a lot benefits than sugar which is high in fructose and can lead to diabetes.

18. hanylen

hanylen New Member

I choose honey, even if it was more costly than sugar. Raw honey have many health benefits. It is for homeremedies, first aid for cough, for burns and for making facial mask. We all know that having it taken on right amount at the right time can help us maintain our health and increase our stamina and immune system.

19. veryel28

veryel28 New Member

For me, it really depends on the type of drinks you put it to. Honey is more preferrable when you are making lemon water (hot/cold) or tea. But coffee or choco drinks? Definitely sugar!! However, honey has benefits. Sugar only adds glucose to your system, and too much sugar isn't what you want for your body.

20. CalvinGold

CalvinGold New Member

For me, these are just both sweeteners .I choose honey and I used it as a sweetener, for coffee, milk, tea, shakes and even in baking, especially the so called raw honey it has a lot of benefits in our body, a good antioxidants and it also sooth a sore throat. Honey can also be use in our face, I used it as a cream scrub mixed with lemon and brown sugar, a very good anti-aging agents and will moisturize the skin. I even mixed it with lemon water and drink it every morning.

In terms of glycemic index (GI), sugar has higher GI than honey. It means it raises blood sugar levels more quickly. But, sugar has lesser calories in honey. For a tablespoon, sugar has 49 calories while honey has 64. On the other hand, honey is much easier to digest than sugar. Also, honey has lots of medicinal benefits like cough suppresent, allergy relief, wound healing and was found to markedly improve seborrheic dermatitis, an itchy and flaky scalp condition.

Preferably, it's honey for me, honey. Some of our foods today already contains lot of sugar, like cakes and sodas. And it's enough to have diabetes if we wouldn't control or manage what we eat with foods that contain sugar. If i'm going for healthy stuffs, better be with honey. Because honey contains disease preventing and disease fighting ingredients. It doesn't spoil and its uses are endless. You can use it on your face, your body and your hair too. Do you know that it can be a natural cough syrup with just a spoon of it with squeezed lemon? Yes, take honey and you'll be on the road to a healthy you.

Honey has many uses, be it in cooking and baking or as natural medicine. Based on my research honey plays a key role in asthmatic patients ( my husband is a known asthmatic) the mere scent of honey prevents asthma attack. Taking a tablespoonful of honey before going to bed prevents this so-called nocturnal asthma attack. Actually, celebrities here in the Philippines already use honey as a way to lose weight.

n overabundance of refined sugar or starchy intake can and has been known to breed grounds for parasites and fungus overgrowth in the human body which is also known to effect emotions, thoughts, and cravings that adhere to feeding strengthening and maintaining said parasites (hence sugar cravings and cravings for sweets like cakes, baked goods, muffins, etc. a lot of which occurs near nightfall as parasitic activity is highest at night) Where refined sugar feeds said parasites, honey (and all it's antibacterial antioxidant enzyme and nutrient rich qualities) helps to kill off the candida inside the body and heal the damage done as well. Honey energizes the body and is a natural preservative because it never spoils and can be a good replacement for anyone who cans fruits etc. any bottled honey sold in markets with expiration dates is not real honey but refined sugar/ high fructose corn syrup.

Refined sugar is extracted from either sugar cane or sugar beets(majority of which is GMO/ Genetically modified which is highly damaging to the body) through a very daunting and exhausting manufacturing process. Refined sugar is processed through the body very quickly and causes insulin levels and blood pressure and numerous other things to soar and surge. While natural sugars like fructose and sucrose etc. are very important and play key roles in the human body, refined sugar is a highly processed food that contains no nutrients to give and is also bad for the teeth (among other things)

Natural honey is always my go to sweetener. Holistic practitioners consider it one of natures best all around remedies. Natural honey has been shown to have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Be careful though as children under 1 years of age should not eat honey.

Honey also can help you lose weight because it can help in digesting the fat stored in your body, help in cholesterol metabolism and helps prevent obesity. It has a healthier glycemic index than sugar which means that when you eat honey, it doesn't cause sugar rush, it absorbed to our body and provides stable source of energy. And it is also sweeter than sugar, very rich in sweetness and delicious.

It's a wellknown healent all over the world in 'traditional' and Natural medicine. Honey boosts the medicinal properties of whatever herbs (if making an herbal concoction) it's added to. The darker the honey the more antioxidants it contains and the more robust the flavor. The lighter the honey the sweeter the taste but I believe has more enzymes if I'm not mistaken. Honey reduces impotence, erectile dysfunction and it promotes gorgeous glowing skin whether applied topically or taken inwardly. Honey is a good source of lactobacilli which is a bacterium located in the lining of the gut (a probiotic or the 'good' bacteria) which is a very essential component of protecting the gut from an overgrowth of fungi or 'bad' bacteria which is known to promote an acidic and parasitic environment.

21. Remziel

Remziel Member

I prefer Sugar. Sugar is higher on the glycemic index (GI) than honey, meaning it raises blood sugar levels more quickly. This is due to its higher fructose content,and the absence of trace minerals. But honey has slightly more calories than sugar, although it is sweeter, so less may be required.

22. romilda

romilda Member

For me, sugar rather than honey to taste naturally sweet.

23. snesz08

snesz08 Member

I really like honey because of the benefits of this like antibacterial, facial cream, cough and many more. I love it when I mix it with tea and lemon because of perfect taste of this. I also used honey as sugar in my recipes like teriyaki sauce and chicken honey glaze. Even though a bit pricey but the benefits is totally good.

24. senseillusion

senseillusion New Member

For me it is very simple. Honey is better. In my country they call sugar the white killer. Yes, you can buy brown sugar, which is healthier, but generally honey is even much more healthier than brown sugar. One of the biggest benefits of honey is its alkaline character.

25. michpiong

michpiong Member

Well, sugar and honey really have the sweet taste. Though they are both sweet, they also have differences between each other.

Sugar
    Pros:
    1. Low in calories
    2. Naturally occurring substance
    3. Long shelf life

Cons:
    1. Increase the risk of certain diseases
    2. Can gain weight easily
    3. Harder to digest than honey

Honey
    Pros:
    1. Can use smaller amount without sacrificing sweetness
    2. Contains vitamins and minerals
    3. May help ease your allergies, cough and sore throats.

Cons:
    1. High in Calories
    2. Not safe for infants younger than a year.
    3. High cost than sugar

I prefer to use honey than sugar. It has more benefits than sugar that will help our body.

26. Stalcius

Stalcius New Member

I prefer honey, because you can use a smaller amount of honey without sacrificing sweetness, it contains traces of vitamins and minerals and raw honey may help alleviate your allergies.

27. Georgeliner

Georgeliner Member

Honey is better of considering is a good natural preservative.

28. marcbarredo13

marcbarredo13 Member

I choose honey as a sweetener rather that sugar. I don't use synthetic products like sugar because regular intake of sugar is linked to many diseases like heart disease, liver disease, kidney failure, obesity, high triglycerides, high blood sugar etc. With these reasons, we should stay away from using sugar as much as possible if we want to live a healthy life. It is much better to use honey as an alternative to use as a sweetener and it has tons of benefits in ways that can help rejuvenate and detoxify our body.

29. Honey for me. it is natural came from bees. it is healthier than sugar no chemicals all natural. it has good benefits like for cough, moisturise skin and face and anti ageing cream. it is also good in mixing some food or drink like coffee, tea and juices.

30. vernixcaseosa

vernixcaseosa New Member

I'll go with honey because there are over 25,000 species of bees worldwide. An adult worker bee's lifespan is about 45 days during summer months. A typical Bee colony consists of 30,000 to 60,000 bees. Male bees are called "Drones" and they do not have stingers, their only purpose is to mate with a Queen bee.