talk or listen

Discussion in 'Website Management & Blogging' started by freda32, May 20, 2018.

1. freda32

freda32 New Member

Listen, there are some people who just don't like to talk. Its not that they prefer to listen. These people like neither to talk nor to listen, saying little meaning much laconic. People who say little but means a lot.

2. jane0207

jane0207 New Member

I prefer to listen instead of talk.

3. Onoda

Onoda New Member

For me it depends on what the conversation is about and how the conversation is being started. If someone comes to me and is asking me to help them solve their problem, I tend to listen. Afterwards, I tend to give my own advice based on what they've said. If someone is asking me to show them something, then the roles tend to reverse where I'll to the majority of the talking and person B will fill in on the back end with whatever commentary they have about the subject.

4. bienn05

bienn05 Member

I think both is important. You cannot drop one unless you want to communicate. You should talk to express your opinions and listen to heard the opinions and feelings of other people. You cannot resolve issues if you will not talk and listen. You cannot be a successful leader without listening and talking. Even presidents of every country, listen and talks to there people.

5. purple viper

purple viper New Member

You need a healthy mix of both. You definitely cannot have a good and unbiased conversation when one person is dominating and expressing themselves while the other only listens. Of course, it does depend on the personalities of the people in the conversation as well. Imagine a conversation with two people; one is an introvert who is comfortable listening and just giving monosyllabic responses while the other is an extrovert who will avidly talk at length. I suppose such situations could be considered an exception although everyone should get the chance to convey their opinion.

6. luislover8

luislover8 New Member

Simply learn to listen. It is proven that we speak much more than what we hear and it should be exactly the other way around. We see key moments of listening.

7. bouyen19

bouyen19 New Member

One of the hardest skills to learn is to listen. Everyone wants to be heard. Everyone wants to talk. But, in order to become better at relationships in whatever level (personal, business, career), we must learn to listen to connect. We must be willing to delay our urge to dominate the talking and develop empathy towards others through genuinely listen to what they have to say. Even leaders must learn to effectively listen to their followers. Businesses should listen to their clients to be more successful.

8. Irishh

Irishh New Member

Listen because as a teenager we learn from other professional so that we can be an inspirational speaker someday.So I prefer to choose listen it can help me to be a good person.

9. kizha

kizha New Member

The saying goes " A good listener is a good leader " . And I truly believe it. You need to listen to your people so you'll know what they want. But it doesn't mean that you have to do what they say, of course, you need to speak up and share your insight. So for me, it depends. Depends on the situation you're in to. Whatever it is, we have to consider other people's feeling and be responsible to our action.

10. ssalynn

ssalynn New Member

In my opinion, Talking and listening should be both balanced. We should learn to listen to the person that is talking and understand deeply the things they are saying before we talk and say something. But sadly, Some people just listen without even understanding the person they are talking to. We listen to reply not to understand anymore, and that is why there are so many misunderstandings that is happening between people. Talking is also essential in communication, but we should also think before we talk. We should consider the feelings of the person that is listening to us. Talk or listen? It's both okay as long as we are responsible on the things we are saying and be more understanding with the people that are talking.

11. FaLaunt

FaLaunt New Member

God gave us two ears to listen and one mouth to talk, so I believe listening is much more important.

12. Marco0406

Marco0406 New Member

Human can't listen while talking or talking while listening. This is two way different. Some are just a listener but are not good in talking or sharing and some can talk so much but is not a listener.

For me as a person, people should learn to do it equally. It is not just possible that only one is willing to listen and the other one will just talk. It should be a give and take process. When it is your time to talk, then talk as much as you want, express your thoughts, express your feelings, say whatever you want to say, it is your right. But when it times that you have to listen, then listen. Listen carefully and deeply, whatever you may hear, accept it, whether its nice or not, good or bad, listen even you disagree or not, listen even if it hurts you or make you happy. Be fair. Not everyone can talk, not everyone can hear as much as they want to have that ability.

Listening or talking can be hard for some but it can be learn. And with that, you can help people to be brave enough to share, you can help a person to hear and be appreciated. Don't be afraid to express.

So what is best? For me, it will always be together.

13. AshlynM

AshlynM New Member

It's important to learn when to open your mouth and when to keep it closed. It's also important to listen to others carefully so you can reply accordingly. Also, just because one doesn't talk, doesn't necessarily mean they are uninterested or shy. It may simply mean they have nothing of relevance to contribute to the conversation or are deep in thought.

14. joshuasoliman15

joshuasoliman15 New Member

Both actually but if this the case i use to be a listener. being listener is the key to be succesful in life.
    After you know what to do then you can do the job that the task will give to you. unlike speaker your always the center.

15. lastcloud_

lastcloud_ New Member

Communication is the key to a successful life. Without communication, everything will fall into mess. It is a two way process and without the other, it would be meaningless. The one to talk would be the listener and the one to listen would be the receiver. Giving without others receiving would be useless, while receiving without nothing to receive would be impossible.By merely listening, ones thoughts would not be heard, and just by merely speaking, there is no unity at work. Therefore, balance is always the key.

16. wilfredorv31

wilfredorv31 New Member

God gave us only one mouth and two ears ... hahaha ... That's what those who share the one who should listen more and talk less say. But this does not mean that we do not speak, but that we are more interested in really understanding what others want to transmit to us, possibly a good part of it is useful to build or complement our own opinions or points of view on any situation.

17. Khalil Khalid

Khalil Khalid Member

talking because when someone wants me to listen to what they are saying I kind of zone out and get in my own little world and not listen to a word that they are saying hehe gets me in trouble all the time.

18. edwardppaolo

edwardppaolo New Member

Vice versa, if I'm listening to you, you should also listen to what i'm saying. That is how communication is all about.

19. rmed

rmed New Member

Well, Talking and Listening are one of the most import to a human being, so it should be both balance. This two thing is a key factor in order for us to succeed to any path we take in the future. Listen if it is needed because once you listen you might get some ideas new to you, it is learning. Talk if is needed or share something so they can get better ideas coming from you, it the secrete way how to succeed.
    Don't be afraid to talk or express your ideas if is necessary because if you don't thing might fall into mess.

20. emig

emig New Member

Reading the holy scriptures reminding me of this topic of listening or talking. According to a passage in James 1:19 "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath", this is an exhortation that giving more emphasis in hearing though it doesn't forbid speaking.

If we follow the argument here, we could see that it implies speaking hastily without hearing first of the matter could lead into something negative or much worst, destructive. Even if we are going to use our common sense, we could prove that most often than not, it is much better to hear first and in the process we could weigh in how things goes on. Then having data analyzed, we could arrived at the proper conclusion and then we could give much better things to speak.

This will help us not to judge inaccurately or not even judge at all. Hearing first, will save many problems relating to miscommunications. It does give a way of balancing things that concerns the issue currently being dealt. We could see this in our government, that why we have congress and senate before any law could be implemented.

21. schesison

schesison New Member

Talking, I will be that talkative person who would tell her best friend everything that is happening in her life. From the moment I get out of my bed up until the moment I come back and sleep tightly. And a very effective friend I would be needing is someone who is good in listening. The one who will sit there with me, listen to my rants about life and say nothing but nods and smile and hugs me.

22. justfrederick

justfrederick New Member

Both are actually important. You want to listen for you to be able to learn something and talk for you to be able to express yourself. I would suggest that you have to listen first before talking. Listening gives you an idea on what you would want to say. Listening gives you information that you may be able to use at a later time when it is your turn to speak. Listening requires a lot of attention though. You have to really process what you have heard for you to be able to understand what you have just heard. And that is called listening. From then on, you would be able to formulate better speeches when it is time for you to speak.

23. Inputss

Inputss New Member

Talking and listening are both important to every one of us. We need to talk in order to make friends, express your thoughts, and making bonds with others. We need to talk to stand for ourselves, for what we think is right and say whatever you think might wrong. And we have to listen as well. It says that listening is other way of showing respect. We have to listen to gain information, to hear what others are going to say. Sometimes, listening teaches us not to be overruled by our emotions.

24. Talking and listening are two different aspects. These two activities play a significant role in having effective communication skills. The ability to talk gives you the power to share your ideas and influence other people. On the other hand, the ability to listen gives you the opportunity to learn ideas from others and gain their respect for letting them speak up their minds. A balance between the two should be maintained for you to achieve great communication skills. You know you have achieved it once you were able to determine when is the right time to talk and when is the right time to listen.

25. normen

normen New Member

I listen. A person inexperienced like me, i rather listen to what they are intended to say. Listening give us time to think and rationalize before we make a decision. Listen first before you talk. That way you can less your mistake. Listen to expert, listen to friends, and listen to all around you. When you're listening, you are having knowledge from their experiences.

26. Jacfalle81

Jacfalle81 New Member

Talking and listening are both extremely important. The key factor here is RESPECT. If someone is talking, allow them to finish. Whether they are speaking calmly or on a rampage, let them speak their mind. Your role is just to "listen". This is one important rule "Customer Service" If you have an upset customer, allow them to voice their mind. Just be a good listener

27. ewapc101

ewapc101 Member

How much talking do you do on an average day, and how much listening? I mean real listening, where you focus on what the other person is saying and take it in, instead of planning the brilliant thing you'll say the moment the other person finishes speaking?

If you're like most of us, the answer is: Not enough. Most people tend to treat conversation like a competitive sport, in which the person who says the most, makes the cleverest point, persuades others of an opinion, or even speaks the longest and loudest is the winner. All of us fall into this trap. All of us find ourselves interrupting, speechifying, insisting, and coming up with witticisms--all to support our point of view or display our superior knowledge.

If you stop and think about it, though, this approach is the opposite of the one we should take. In most conversations, the person who speaks least benefits most and the person who speaks most benefits least.

28. ewapc101

ewapc101 Member

Knowledge is power.

In fact, in our information-driven world, how much you know makes more difference to your long-term success than how much money you have or almost anything else. A person who's talking is giving away information--often more than he or she intended. A person who's listening is receiving information. Who gets the best deal in that exchange?

29. ewapc101

ewapc101 Member

If you don't share a piece of information today, you can always share it tomorrow. Conversely, if you do share a piece of information today, you can never take it back again.

How many times have you revealed something and then later wished that you hadn't? Or expressed a thought you might better have kept to yourself? We've all had these experiences one time or another. The less you say, the smaller the chances you'll share information and later wish you hadn't.

30. ewapc101

ewapc101 Member

Abraham Lincoln said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." I'm not suggesting you remain silent all the time. But it's all too easy to speak thoughtlessly, with insufficient information, or out of a wrong assumption. That can make you look less intelligent than you are, and you will minimize the chances of it happening if you listen more than you speak.