That feeling of "I know I can write but I just can't."

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by frgenesis01, Feb 20, 2018.

1. frgenesis01

frgenesis01 Member

Metal block? Mismanagement of time? What should I call it? What ever it is, it is surely my problem. I know I can write something good. I got the ideas flowing. I can draw each plot in my mind. But I never finish a book. Is there anyone who share the same problem with me? Or anyone who has overcame this thing? Maybe you could give us a piece of advice. Thanks you so much.

Attached Files:

2. MaggieBee

MaggieBee New Member

Writer's block! It's super common, but that doesn't make it any less aggravating. I suffer from it all the time. I've found that the best way to overcome it is to just force myself to write. I know that sounds ridiculously simple, but it really works. Do whatever you can to remove any distractions, sit down with a paper and pen, set aside a specific amount of time (could be as little as ten minutes or as long as two hours, totally up to you) and just start writing. Don't worry about coming up with the perfect plot, amazing characters, or a clever first line. Don't worry about your spelling or grammar. Write whatever comes into your head. Some of my very best ideas have come to me that way.

3. Em Jay

Em Jay Member

Easy -- that's Terminal Self Doubt.

Sometimes, it probably stops you from putting pen to paper in the first place. Other times, you may think you've got rid of it, as you eagerly tap out your ideas with a continuous flow of easy writing... until you're nearly finished. Then the fear begins to creep in. "Can I really write a book?" you wonder, staring at the 275 pages you've already completed. "Of course not!"

Terminal Self Doubt is a very common disease inflicting 99.9% writers. But it is far easier to diagnose than to try come up with a cure. Good luck! (and do let me know if you find the magic remedy).

4. mtshelley

mtshelley New Member

I believe Neil Gaiman mentioned he called his agent to inform them he wasn't really a writer, that he had bamboozled them into somehow believing that he was an author but clearly the jig was up.

His agent observed "ah you've reached THAT part of the book."

Turns out he reached a point in every story of maximum self doubt, when he would turn in his writing cap (do we get caps?) and admit defeat. If it happens to him, it can happen most certainly to any of us lowly mortals.

Keep at it!