The best way to get a publisher...

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by mikeytrge88, May 18, 2018.

1. mikeytrge88

mikeytrge88 New Member

What is the best way to get a publisher? I recently have at leased five to six books on my mind that I would love to start writing. I have already started on one and that is going well. But where do I get a publisher when I'm done. And what kind do I need? The books I am writing are fiction of course, but aren't their different types of publishers even for fictional writers. Is their a difference in publishers between adult and children's writing.
    What is the best way to get a pusher? Should you just hand in your manuscript or should you write them before you do. I don't know that's why I'm asking you. What would you do if you couldn't find one. How much is it to publish a book on your own or even could you? How do you know the right publisher to go to, and how many types are their. Does having a publisher closer to you in distance matter or does doing by long distance work as well. I hope you can answer some of my questions. I'd really like to know?

2. Lynn Fowler

Lynn Fowler New Member

If you want to go through a traditional publisher, you are best to first find an agent. He/she will be able to direct you to the best publisher for your book(s) and help you to prepare them. However, finding a publisher who will accept your work is not easy.

These days many authors are choosing to self-publish. It does not have to be expensive - steer well clear of any "publisher" that wants to charge you thousands of dollars to get your work into print. You can go directly through a POD (Print On Demand) company and your only cost for the actual publication will be the set-up, normally less than $100. Also with POD you do not have to order thousands or even hundreds of copies of your book, you can just get a few at a time.

The other possibility is to publish your book in digital format, either directly through Amazon Kindle or through a distributor such as Smashwords.

Whichever option you choose, you should first make sure that your manuscript is ready for publication, well written and free of grammar and spelling errors. If you can't afford a professional editor, at least have several people who are skilled in the use of English read it and check for errors.

3. Baraquia

Baraquia New Member

Hello @mikeytrge88,
    I have read your questions with regard to finding a book publisher, the book category, the monetary outlay and the proximity of publisher to your location.

Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing is the best solution for you since it offers you a turnkey solution that provides all matters related to digital book publication in-house. You expedite the publishing process of your fiction book by using K.D.P, and avoid the long wait that comes with doing it through regular publishing houses. You will find categories and sub categories that aligns with you fiction genre at Amazon books. Publishing a digital book first is the best way to test the market at Amazon before selling the hardcover version of your book. The authors of The Martian, Fifty Shades of Grey and the Wool book series started with digital publications and moved on to hardcover books due to their success in the digital market.

Your financial outlay is your book cover, research and promoting your book through social media which will not cost that much if you do it through your friends. You will not need to worry about the distance of your publisher when using Amazon K.D.P.

You can learn more about getting started at K.D.P through YouTube and publish you fiction books once you have completed them.

4. hgenoso

hgenoso Member

Write and write and write? Why? The more you write the better you'd improve post it to media platforms to reach an audience and if right the publisher may come to you. You can also submit one to their houses or office.