The importance of vitamin c

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mctavish, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Mctavish

Mctavish New Member

A nutritional element also called Ascorbic acid, is a water soluble vitamin that is needed but cannot be produced by the body. Since it is water soluble this vitamin is not stored in our bodies therefore must be consumed. Sailors were kept alive when they learned that taking lemons prevented scurvy, the most dangerous disease caused by vitamin c deficiency.

The FDA says a minimum of 60mg-day however, health experts state that consumption of 100mg can have huge positive health benefits.

Vitamin C contains antioxidants which aid in fighting off free radicals in the body, warding off infections and viruses. Vitamin c helps build proteins in various types of cellular construction that protects against heart attacks and strokes. Recent studies have also shown that vitamin c promotes healthy teeth and gums.

A variety of fruits and vegetables contain a large amount of vitamin c, however the cooking process will deplete some of the vitamin c that needs to be ingested, unless eating raw fruits and vegetables it is important to take a vitamin c supplement.

2. tipay

tipay Member

there are foods that are rich in vitamin c they include parsley, broccoli, bell peppers, strawberries, oranges, lemon juice, papaya, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens and Brussels sprouts.

3. dposh119

dposh119 New Member

I believe that vitamin C is one of the most important nutritional elements. It is absolutely essential for one to add this beyond beneficiary vitamin to their basic diet. As the original poster mentioned, there are all sorts of sources for this fantastic vitamin.

4. Glen Benson

Glen Benson Member

I believe that vitamin C cannot absorb our water and other words they are water soluble. Vitamins are organic substances that are needed by our body that helps us to fight sickness.

5. Stephanie Anne

Stephanie Anne New Member

Vitamin C helps strengthen or improve our immune system. It is important to always incorporate citrus fruits or other foods rich in Vitamin C in our daily diet. This is because ascorbic acid is one of the most essential vitamins needed by our body. It takes part in many of our bodily functions. Deficiency of this vitamin C in our body makes us prone to colds, bleeding gums, and scurvy. Vitamin C also improve our teeth and bones, Additional source of vitamin C through intake of supplements can be helpful but our body only need a certain amount of daily Vit C. The excess of it will just be excreted out of the body in our urine.

6. Vitamins, including vitamin C, are organic compounds. An organic compound is one that exists in living things and contains the elements carbon and oxygen.

Vitamin C is water soluble, and the body does not store it. To maintain adequate levels of vitamin C, humans need a daily intake of food that contains it.

7. janleo

janleo New Member

This what I noticed. There was a time when the only food I consumed were meat, rice, and fluids (soda and water). At that time, we we're doing some renovations here at home and of course, there were cuts and bruises. Weird thing is that those cuts and bruises healed a little bit longer than expected. I was forced to see a doctor, had to do some weird stuff that cost me money which got me nowhere. So then I easily started getting sick and with so much money being spent on medication, I decided to go organic. I saw these limes at the market which were really sour and I thought they would be a good source of vitamin C which helps in the immune system. So i bought them, took them home, juiced them and drank it. Lo and behold, after a little more than a week, my week long cough and colds were gone, cuts have healed up and the callouses on my hands and feet were gradually peeling off.

8. Xalfred11

Xalfred11 New Member

Vitamin C contributes collagen production thats why wounds, cuts and grazes may heal faster in people with a higher intake of it than is usually available from their food.

9. laroajoel

laroajoel New Member

We really need vitamin c , it protects against viruses you incounter every day ,boost immune system to our body

10. knightmare9000

knightmare9000 New Member

Vitamin C promotes assimilation of calcium into the bone, protects against leaching of calcium out of the bones, and fights the oxidative stress that works against assimilation. Vitamin C is also essential for the synthesis and maintenance of collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body. In short, we need vitamin C.

11. Hi guys. It's me the working mom again. For me vitamin C is very important but don't get me wrong. It is as important as the other vitamins.
    Now Vitamin C as we all know helps our immune system to function well. It helps us to relieve cold symptoms and sometimes reduce the duration of colds. In my case I have 2 kids and we all know kids are so active. With the kind of weather we have now and having climate change, they can easily get sick. A regular in take of fruits rich in Vitamins C will help them boost their immune system. This goes with adults too.

12. Alexander143

Alexander143 New Member

Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is used to: Form an important protein used to make skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Heal wounds and form scar tissue.

13. johny90

johny90 New Member

Vitamin C has a big role in our health because it can boost our immune system, it is the most effective nutrients and it is safe because it has no overdose, it also treats common cold, it enhances our immune system to protect us from cold and cough, Vitamin C helps people with hypertension because it is good in lowering our body's blood pressure to prevent cardiovascular deaseases, Vitamin C affect the mood of a person because it has a role in proper functioning of the brain. There are many sources of Vitamin C like oranges,grapes,strawberries,cabbages,cauliflowers,kiwi etc. Are the rich source of this Vitamin. Cooking food at low temperature is important to keep Vitamin C preserved and beneficial. Vitamin C is an essential beauty too, it is a potent antioxidant, it helps to keep wrinkles and skin dryness by fighting free radical damage, it also helps to fade sides of damage already done by the sun due to its powerful free radical fighting properties, it also produce collagen which helps gives skin its firmness and tone, Vitamin C improve the appearance and texture of skin, without enough nutrients the skin becomes rough and dry. Vitamin C not only gives strong immunity but also gives beautiful physical appearance.

14. Balatszki_07

Balatszki_07 Member

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, meaning that your body doesn't store it. You have to get what you need from food, including citrus fruits, broccoli, and tomatoes.

You need vitamin C for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It helps the body make collagen, an important protein used to make skin, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is needed for healing wounds, and for repairing and maintaining bones and teeth. It also helps the body absorb iron from nonheme sources.

Vitamin C is an antioxidant, along with vitamin E, beta-carotene, and many other plant-based nutrients. Antioxidants block some of the damage caused by free radicals, substances that damage DNA. The build up of free radicals over time may contribute to the aging process and the development of health conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and arthritis.

It’s rare to be seriously deficient in vitamin C, although evidence suggests that many people may have low levels of vitamin C. Smoking cigarettes lowers the amount of vitamin C in the body, so smokers are at a higher risk of deficiency

15. Mohamed Lachgar

Mohamed Lachgar New Member

Vitamin C protects against cold diseases throughout winter and helps young people maintain normal and good growth. It works to repair the skin because it contains antioxidants, and works to benefit hair and accelerate the process of healing wounds. Sometimes it plays an important role in strengthening the immune system, and protects the blood vessels. The vitamin C sparkle is of great importance in protecting the cardiovascular system from diseases and reduces cholesterol in the blood. Vitamin C protects the skin from premature wrinkles, delays signs of aging, removes spots from the skin, increases its freshness and prevents skin infections. If you feel stressed, Vitamin C is the solution because it reduces tension and stress and calms nerves.

16. kyrieirving

kyrieirving New Member

vitamin c is very impotant to every one because it can protect us from many kind of virus and it also help us to improve our immune system and it also easy to get from eating fruit

17. suhmita

suhmita New Member

Vitamins, including vitamin C, are organic compounds. An organic compound is one that exists in living things and contains the elements carbon and oxygen.

Vitamin C is water soluble, and the body does not store it. To maintain adequate levels of vitamin C, humans need a daily intake of food that contains it.

Vitamin C plays an important role in a number of bodily functions including the production of collagen, L-carnitine, and some neurotransmitters. It helps metabolize proteins and its antioxidant activity may reduce the risk of some cancers.

18. Aironskie

Aironskie New Member

Vitamin c is important to our body because it protects our body. Example of this is what gappening to me now i have cough and flu because I have not enough vitamin c to avoid in many diseass. And my mother told me to take vitamin c so that my body have enough to fight against cough and flu.

19. janlabajan

janlabajan New Member

What are the importances’s of Vitamin C. but first let us know what is Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid and L-ascorbic acid is a vitamin found in food and used as a dietary supplement.
    Vitamin C was discovered in 1912, isolated in 1928, and in 1933 was the first vitamin to be chemically produced. It is on the World Health Organization Model List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient involved in the repair of tissue and the enzymatic production of certain neurotransmitters. It is required for the functioning of several enzymes and is important for immune system function. It also functions as an antioxidant. Foods containing vitamin C include citrus fruits, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, raw bell peppers, and strawberries. Prolonged storage or cooking may reduce vitamin C content in foods. So What if your lack of vitamins C in your body what will happen? It can causes “scurvy” what is Scurvy Signs of vitamin deficiency include dry and splitting hair; gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) and bleeding gums; rough, dry, scaly skin; decreased wound-healing rate, easy bruising; nosebleeds; and a decreased ability to ward off infection. So Vitamins C is very important in our body.

20. Jamella18

Jamella18 New Member

Vitamin C helps our body to produce collagen, L-carnitine (convert fatty acids can be used as energy), and some neurotransmitters (transfer of the impulse to another nerve fiber). It also helps metabolize proteins and its antioxidant activity may reduce the risk of some cancers. Researcher says that Vitamin C helps to reduce stress.

Doctors usually encourage individual to take Vitamin C that you can buy on the drug store, or eat fruits rich with Vitamin C such as, guavas, bell peppers, kiwifruits, strawberries, oranges, papaya, broccoli, tomatoes, snow peas, and kale.

For me highly suggest taking the Sodium Ascorbate Non Acidic Vitamin C. It is good for those acidic persons like me. And if you will notice and studies most of illness involve acid, so to stop the rapid increase on our body better to take the Non Acidic Vitamin C.

21. Kenneth Rafales

Kenneth Rafales New Member

For me, vitamin C is a vital nutrient for health. It helps form and maintain bones, skin, and blood vessels. It occurs naturally in some foods, especially, fruit and vegetables. Supplements are also available. Vitamin C may help in treating cancer. As an antioxidant, it protects the body against oxidative stress and helps prevent the oxidation of other molecules. It appears to regenerate other antioxidants in the body, too.

22. Amrit lohani

Amrit lohani New Member

Adult males should consume 90 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C per day and females should consume 75 mg per day, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). During pregnancy, women should have 85 mg a day, and 120 mg while breastfeeding. The best sources of vitamin C are fresh fruit and vegetables. Heat and cooking in water can destroy some of the vitamin C content, so raw foods are best. The maximum recommended daily intake of vitamin C for adult males and females is 2,000 mg. Vitamin C is necessary for healthy mucosa and helps reduce inflammation, so the NIH recommends that smokers consume an extra 35 mg of vitamin C each day.

23. Hailey Spurlock

Hailey Spurlock New Member

Vitamin C is important to your overall health. They say to increase your intake of vitamin C if you are taking a cold or around a sickness. I take vitamin C gummies every day just to give my immune system an extra boost.

24. joferaileensasuke

joferaileensasuke New Member

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, meaning that your body doesn't store it. You have to get what you need from food, including citrus fruits, broccoli, and tomatoes.You need vitamin C for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It helps the body make collagen, an important protein used to make skin, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is needed for healing wounds, and for repairing and maintaining bones and teeth. It also helps the body absorb iron from nonheme sources.Vitamin C is an antioxidant, along with vitamin E, beta-carotene, and many other plant-based nutrients. Antioxidants block some of the damage caused by free radicals, substances that damage DNA. The build up of free radicals over time may contribute to the aging process and the development of health conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and arthritis.It’s rare to be seriously deficient in vitamin C, although evidence suggests that many people may have low levels of vitamin C. Smoking cigarettes lowers the amount of vitamin C in the body, so smokers are at a higher risk of deficiency.Signs of vitamin deficiency include dry and splitting hair; gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) and bleeding gums; rough, dry, scaly skin; decreased wound-healing rate, easy bruising; nosebleeds; and a decreased ability to ward off infection. A severe form of vitamin C deficiency is known as scurvy.Low levels of vitamin C have been associated with a number of conditions, including high blood pressure, gallbladder disease, stroke, some cancers, and atherosclerosis, the build up of plaque in blood vessels that can lead to heart attack and stroke. Getting enough vitamin C from your diet -- by eating lots of fruit and vegetables -- may help reduce the risk of developing some of these conditions. There is no conclusive evidence that taking vitamin C supplements will help or prevent any of these conditions.

25. kentnryden

kentnryden New Member

You need vitamin C for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It helps the body make collagen, an important protein used to make skin, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is needed for healing wounds, and for repairing and maintaining bones and teeth. It also helps the body absorb iron from nonheme sources.

26. Abundant777

Abundant777 New Member

Our body definitely needs vitamin C. It is an essential vitamin that is responsible for the proper metabolic function of our system. We don't produce vitamin C unlike most of the mammals. Thus, we have to take vitamin C from external sources like fruits and vegetables.

27. joaisa

joaisa New Member

We need Vitamin C for the growth and repair tissues in all parts of our body. It also help our wounds to heal fast, also repair and maintain our bones and teeth. Vitamin C has been shown to increase many different immune functions, including enhancing white blood cell function and activity; and increasing interferon levels, antibody responses, antibody levels, secretion of thymic hormones and the integrity of ground substance.

28. marifecurtis

marifecurtis New Member

Vitamin C is essential for the synthesis and maintenance of collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body. Collagen comprises about 25% to 35% of the total protein content in the body. Its strong, connective, elongated fibrils are found in skin, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, bone, blood vessels, the intestines, and the discs between spinal vertebrae. It is also found in the cornea and in muscle tissue.
    Vitamin C maintains the gel-like state of the basement membrane, helping to suppress tumor invasion through the basement membrane. Vitamin C deficiency reduces the release of basement membrane components (Type IV collagen, laminin, elastin) in blood vessels. Vitamin C accelerates the deposition of other important basement membrane proteins in the area between the dermis and epidermi.

The immune system functions of vitamin C are so important that they are discussed in greater detail in [link to] 20 Ways Vitamin C Supports a Healthy Immune System.

29. nzha1

nzha1 New Member

Vitamin C prevent colds during intense physical activity, and when people exposed to stress.
    Increase iron absorption.

30. Raymund1980

Raymund1980 New Member

Ascorbic acid also known as vitamin c,it is a water solible nutrients found in many different foods.Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant,protecting our body from the damage of free radicals,free radicals play a key role in the aging process,so getting plenty of vitamin c can protect our health.Vitamin C prevents and treat common cold,increase or boost our absorption of iron,also vitamin c decreases the risk of developing a urinary tract infection(UTI).Diets which are high in vitamin c are associated with improvements in cardio vascular health,if your diet includes more vitamin c than the RDA(recommended daily allowance),you may be able to increase your HDL(good cholesterol) while reducing your LDL(bad cholesterol), high level of LDL associates with cardiovascular disease.You also may be able to reduce your blood pressure.Vitamn c is a well known antioxidant,this may explain why diets which are high in vitamin c are associated with a reduced risk of cancer,stroke and cardio vascular disease.It also help the increase of our bone density,improves blood circulation,improves moods,increases the absorption of calcium.Vitamin c plays very important role in our body.