The importance of vitamin c

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mctavish, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Lady

Lady New Member

We all know that our body needs vitamins in order for us to protect our immune system for us to be more functional. Vitamin C not only makes our immune system strong but rather it also helps our skin to look healthy as well as our hairs and nails and it's really essential.

2. Musah

Musah New Member

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin. It is needed for normal growth and development.Water-soluble vitamins dissolve in water. Leftover amounts of the vitamin leave the body through the urine. That means you need an ongoing supply of such vitamins in your diet.

Vitamin C is important to all animals, including humans, because it is vital to the production of collagen. Vitamin C is also important because it helps protect the fat-soluble vitamin A and vitamin E as well as fatty acids from oxidation. Vitamin C prevents and cures the disease scurvy, and can be beneficial in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia.Collagen is the most ubiquitous substance in the body because it is the most abundant of the fibers contained in connective tissue. Connective tissue gives our body form and supports our organs. To give you an idea of how important collagen is, here is a list of the five types of collagen, and where they are used in the body.

3. Joemax31

Joemax31 New Member

Vitamic C or what we call ascorbic acid is one of the essential vitamins needed in our body. It acts by enhancing or boosting your immune system which acts as our defense against infections. Aside from that, it is also used by our body in other ways such as, absorption of glutathione to give us a lighter or even whitish skin color and also it functions as healing your cartilages and even decreases flare ups if you have arthritis especially those who have gouts. At least 1000mg ascorbic acid must be taken to see the effect on gouty arthritis.

4. gee

gee New Member

vitamin C help prevent immune system deficiencies such as cardiovascular diseases, wound healing process, dry skin, nose bleeding and even wrinkles.
    Lack of enough vitamin C causes scurvy.

5. hedros3

hedros3 New Member

I've been taking ascorbic acid 500mg since I was a little kid. And I continue to take this supplement on a daily basis. I take one tablet after breakfast. If I have a cold or cough, I may take another tablet after dinner. I believe that ascorbic acid does provide substantial health benefits. Of course it is best to couple this with balanced nutrition and enough rest. As others have posted here, specific health benefits such as increased immunity, antioxidant features, quicker healing of wounds, are some of the benefits that I can confidently claim.

6. Calvin Karlo

Calvin Karlo New Member

The role of vitamin C as an antioxidant also helps repair tissue and reduce damage from inflammation and oxidation.

People with adequate levels of vitamin C are thought to be better able to fight off infections compared to people with vitamin C deficiency.

Vitamin C may also help prevent acute respiratory infections, especially in people with malnutritioned and those who are physically stressed.
    Vitamin C may help in treating cancer. As an antioxidant, it protects the body against oxidative stress and helps prevent the oxidation of other molecules. It appears to regenerate other antioxidants in the body, too.

7. Celea

Celea New Member

Vitamin C is one of the most essential vitamins that our body needs. It plays an important role on immune system, it boosts immune system that's why it is very important for children to take up ascorbic acid because children are immunocompromise. Viitamin C also helps to repair tissue during wound healing. One thing about Vitamin C, for me it's most important role is it enhances absorption of iron which is also a very important element especially on heme synthesis for hemoglobin. Vitamin C is very essential and I advise everyone to have enough amount of it.

8. ejpj11

ejpj11 New Member

Vitamin C is a vitamin. It helps in scurvy. It is an antioxidant. The vitamin is needed by the human body. Without Vitamin C the human body can get sick. That is why it is taken in foods or as supplements.

9. Asterfighter

Asterfighter New Member

It may not be the cure for the common cold (though it's thought to help prevent more serious complications). But the benefits of vitamin C may include protection againstimmune system deficiencies,cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skinwrinkling.
    Vitamin C (also known as ascorbic acid) is abundant in vegetables and fruits. A water-soluble vitamin and powerful antioxidant, it helps the body form and maintain connective tissue, including bones, blood vessels, and skin.
    You need vitamin C for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of yourbody. It helps the body make collagen, an important protein used to make skin, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is needed for healing wounds, and for repairing and maintaining bones and teeth.

10. edz26

edz26 Member

As a mother, I always make sure vitamin c is included to our regular diet. Many of fruits and vegetables has vitamin c like oranges, pineapple, mangoes, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage and other leafy green vegetables. The benefits of vitamin c are good for repair and maintain bones, teeth, cartilage and for fast healing of wounds. I used fruit juices with rich in vitamin c for my husband to lower his blood pressure.

11. Eziox

Eziox New Member

Vitamin C is essential for the synthesis and maintenance of collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body. Collagen comprises about 25% to 35% of the total protein content in the body. Its strong, connective, elongated fibrils are found in skin, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, bone, blood vessels, the intestines, and the discs between spinal vertebrae. It is also found in the cornea and in muscle tissue.Basement membrane is a thin, sticky layer that supports epithelial cell layers tissues that line the surfaces and cavities throughout the body (like the lining of the stomach and the lining of blood vessels). It binds the glomerular capillaries in the kidneys to the Bowman’s capsule which is necessary for blood filtration. It also attaches the pulmonary capillaries in the lungs to the lung alveoli. In addition, basement membrane functions as a restrictive barrier to prevent cancer cells from passing deeper into tissues.Vitamin C is an essential cofactor for the synthesis of carnitine an amino acid that is necessary for the transport of fatty acids into mitochondria. This transfer of fatty acids is an important factor in the production of the ATP that is necessary for cellular energy.Vitamin C is directly involved in the synthesis of neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are biological molecules that facilitate the electrical flow between neurons and nerve cells in the body and in the brain. The body’s ability to respond to the environment, as well as the brain’s ability to think and to remember, is dependent on these essential substances.The formation and maintenance of quality, high-density bone material requires vitamin C. Vitamin C promotes assimilation of calcium into the bone, protects against leaching of calcium out of the bones, and fights the oxidative stress.Supplemental vitamin C may also lessen the duration and symptoms of a common cold, help delay or prevent cataracts, and support healthy immune function.Deficiency symptoms include fatigue, muscle weakness, joint and muscle aches, bleeding gums, and leg rashes. Prolonged deficiency can cause scurvy, a rare but potentially severe illness.

12. rebeccaverdad

rebeccaverdad Member

vitamin C helps our immune system to be more efficient and be more productive in terms of fighting bacteria and unwanted things in our body. That's why if we have cough and colds we have to double the dose of taking vitamin c.
    Vitamin C is the easiest to find the right amount or even more in fruits like guava, citrus fruits and vegetable.

13. Jaymalie

Jaymalie New Member

Vitamin c also called "absorbic acid" is a water soluble nutrient from in fruits such as orange.
    Vitamin c supports
    Production of interferons
    Functions the antibodies
    Natural killer of cell activity
    Detoxifies the histamine
    Production of cytokine
    Helps in proper functioning of phagacytes

The amount of vitamin c taken depends on the age of a person .Too much vitamin c can harm the body anything eaten in excess its always harmful to the body .

Some of the importance of vitamin c is :
    Prevent aging of the skin
    Improve libido and mood
    Improve the circulation of blood
    Helps in absorption of calcium
    Increase the density of bone
    Reduce cataracts in the body
    Prevent urinary track infection
    Prevent the appearance of scurvy
    Boost absorption of scurvy
    Prevent damage of muscle and soreness

14. maumaumau

maumaumau New Member

I remember a simple experiment that was done in a health convention I attended which showed us how amazing Vitamin C is. The speaker got an apple and cut it into halves. The other half was rubbed with lemon juice, and the other half was left as is. After the speaker finished talking, he showed us the 2 halves of the apple. The one rubbed with lemon juice looked fresh without any discoloration while the other half of the apple was already starting to change its color and is no longer fresh. As we all know, lemon is rich in Vitamin C and that made the difference in the experiment. Vitamin C or ascorbic acid helps to repair our body tissues and boosts or immue system. Without Vitamin C in the body, we tend to get sick easily. Lack of Vitamin C will also cause our skin to look dry and saggy. To look great and feel great, we should always load our body with the Vitamin C that we need.

15. andykarve

andykarve New Member

Vitamin C, also known as Ascorbic acid, is a key nutritional element. Ascorbic acid is important in various biochemical functions in the human body. It catalyzes key reactions such as Collagen formation. Collagen is a protein that is involved in growth, development and wound healing. Collagen when calcified also helps in bone formation. So adequate Vitamin C in the diet is critical.

16. MelvinRabang

MelvinRabang New Member

For a long time, I never drank any vitamins. I just did whatever I wanted to do and worked a bit and then played some hoops and I was good. However as I got older and my work got more stressful and stressful, I noticed that I would get more sick often. For some time I ignored it but it came to a point that whenever I played basketball or I exercised I would get sick the next day. It made me not want to play basketball and this kept on happening until I decided to ask the doctor about it during the routine checkups I had with the doctor from being sick all of the time. And the doctor told me to take vitamins everyday and I tried it. From that moment on, my life has been better and I was able to enjoy life and not be depressed from being sick all of the time. Vitamins is essential for living and for your health and well being,

17. Herlyn123

Herlyn123 New Member

The most prominent role of vitamin C is its immune-stimulating effect, e.g., important for defence against infections such as common colds. It also acts as an inhibitor of histamine, a compound that is released during allergic reactions. As a powerful antioxidant it can neutralize harmful free radicals and it aids in neutralizing pollutants and toxins. Thus it is able to prevent the formation of potentially carcinogenic nitrosamines in the stomach (due to consumption of nitrite-containing foods, such as smoked meat).

1 person likes this.
  18. bhie

bhie New Member

Here are some tips why Vitamin C is important:

• Vitamin C helps protect the skin by promoting the production and migration of fibro blasts that support normal wound healing.

• Vitamin C protects against skin wrinkles seen in premature aging. 

• Increased vitamin C uptake by vascular smooth muscle cells increases the synthesis and maturation of Type I (aka Type 1) collagen.  Type I collagen accounts for about 90% of the body’s total collagen content.

• High concentrations of vitamin C stimulate synthesis of Type IV collagen, which has important filtration characteristics in the kidney, the blood-brain barrier, and the arterial lining .

19. orozcojessamae

orozcojessamae New Member

Vitamin C is important to all animals, including humans, because it is vital to the production of collagen. Vitamin C is also important because it helps protect the fat-soluble vitamin A and vitamin E as well as fatty acids from oxidation. Vitamin C prevents and cures the disease scurvy, and can be beneficial in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia.
    Collagen is the most ubiquitous substance in the body because it is the most abundant of the fibers contained in connective tissue. Connective tissue gives our body form and supports our organs. To give you an idea of how important collagen is, here is a list of the five types of collagen, and where they are used in the body.

20. Vitamin C is vital for the body’s growth and maintenance. Fortunately, it is found in many foods, such as green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, black currants, and strawberries. Citrus fruits are one of the principal suppliers of vitamin C, and this, of course, includes lemons. The amount of vitamin C in a lemon depends on many factors, such as the climatic conditions the fruit grew in, the ripeness of the fruit, and even the position of the fruit on the tree.

In some countries the recommended daily intake of vitamin C for healthy adults is about 100 milligrams. An average-size lemon would provide an adult with about half the daily recommended amount of vitamin C.The orange, that familiar symbol of vitamin C, pales in comparison with a fruit that is hailed as “the new queen of vitamin C.” Even the acerola, the sovereign among the fruits rich in vitamin C, must concede defeat.

21. anokaaso

anokaaso New Member

Vitamin C is one of the most important nutrients to consume and is essential for you to even live a healthy life. The most common reason everyone knows about Vitamin C is for boosting the immune system,
    • Helps you recover better from intense training programs
    • Vitamin C is also an antioxidant
    • Required for the repair and growth of your body’s tissues
    • Vitamin C supports healthy testosterone levels for men
    • Strong immune system booster
    • Assists with protein metabolism

This is also an antioxidant, which means it helps your body protect itself against free radicals produced through energy conversion of food.

You could also even reduce chances of some damage caused through chemicals. This is why they recommend smokers have a high diet in Vitamin C.

Another type of benefit to look at for Vitamin C is that it helps tissues repair and grow including muscles. Then there is the fact that this nutrient forms a protein called collagen, which assists with your skin and the maintenance of bones and cartilage.

22. Qwerose09

Qwerose09 New Member

Vitamin C does a lot of good benefits to our body. It helps strengthen our immune system, fights viruses, improves collagen and vitamin E our production in our body and its an anti cancer. So start boosting up you vitamin c intake it could be taken from fruits and vegetable or from vitamin c supplement i do prefer supplement because its higher in dosage and its easier to take.

23. germavz123

germavz123 New Member

Vitamin C is essential for the synthesis and maintenance of collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body. Collagen comprises about 25% to 35% of the total protein content in the body. Its strong, connective, elongated fibrils are found in skin, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, bone, blood vessels, the intestines, and the discs between spinal vertebrae. It is also found in the cornea and in muscle tissue.
    • Vitamin C helps protect the skin by promoting the production and migration of fibroblasts that support normal wound healing.

• Vitamin C protects against skin wrinkles seen in premature aging. 

• Increased vitamin C uptake by vascular smooth muscle cells increases the synthesis and maturation of Type I (aka Type 1) collagen.  Type I collagen accounts for about 90% of the body’s total collagen content.

• High concentrations of vitamin C stimulate synthesis of Type IV collagen, which has important filtration characteristics in the kidney, the blood-brain barrier, and the arterial lining .
    Basement membrane is a thin, sticky layer that supports epithelial cell layers — tissues that line the surfaces and cavities throughout the body (like the lining of the stomach and the lining of blood vessels). It binds the glomerular capillaries in the kidneys to the Bowman’s capsule which is necessary for blood filtration. It also attaches the pulmonary capillaries in the lungs to the lung alveoli. In addition, basement membrane functions as a restrictive barrier to prevent cancer cells from passing deeper into tissues.

Vitamin C is related to the basement membrane in the following ways:

• Vitamin C maintains the gel-like state of the basement membrane, helping to suppress tumor invasion through the basement membrane. 

• Vitamin C deficiency reduces the release of basement membrane components (Type IV collagen, laminin, elastin) in blood vessels. 
    • Vitamin C accelerates the deposition of other important basement membrane proteins in the area between the dermis and epidermis. 
    Vitamin C is an essential cofactor for the synthesis of carnitine - an amino acid that is necessary for the transport of fatty acids into mitochondria. This transfer of fatty acids is an important factor in the production of the ATP that is necessary for cellular energy. Vitamin C is directly involved in the synthesis of neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are biological molecules that facilitate the electrical flow between neurons and nerve cells in the body and in the brain. The body’s ability to respond to the environment, as well as the brain’s ability to think and to remember, is dependent on these essential substances.

The formation and maintenance of quality, high-density bone material requires vitamin C. Vitamin C promotes assimilation of calcium into the bone, protects against leaching of calcium out of the bones, and fights the oxidative stress that works against assimilation.

Additional relationships between vitamin C and bone metabolism include the following:

• Vitamin C stimulates the formation of the cells that incorporate calcium into bone tissue (osteoblasts). 

• Vitamin C inhibits the development of cells that dissolve calcium out of bone tissues (osteoclasts).

• As a powerful antioxidant, vitamin C fights oxidative stress in bone tissues. 

• Collagen cross-linking, required to form the dense matrix for optimal bone strength, requires vitamin C. 
    Vitamin C supports:

• Production of interferons

• Function of phagocytes

• Cytokine production by white blood cells

• Cell-mediated immune response

• Nitric oxide production by phagocytes

• T-lymphocyte proliferation

• B-lymphocyte proliferation

• Antibody production and complement activity

• Natural killer cell activity

• Prostaglandin formation

• Cyclic GMP levels in lymphocytes

• Localized generation of, and/or interaction with, hydrogen peroxide

• Detoxification of histamine

• Neutralization of oxidative stress

• Immune response to vaccination

• Mucolytic effect

• Function of antibiotics

24. ulisesguerrero

ulisesguerrero New Member

I just got a fever, and several of my friends say its because I don't take enough Vitamin C. So, as I'm healing I'm taking a lot of citrus to help boost my Vitamin C supply. I don't believe that it is healthy to take man-made pills, because its not going to be as good for the body as a natural item.

I would love to have citrus fruits year round, but they are only in season for six months, and then they get really expensive and they are not ripe or ripened artificially. There's just nothing like taking freshly picked fruits.

25. shangayesha

shangayesha New Member

Vitamin C is water soluble, and the body does not store it. ... Vitamin C plays an important role in a number of bodily functions including the production of collagen, L-carnitine, and some neurotransmitters. It helps metabolize proteins and its antioxidant activity may reduce the risk of some cancers.Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is necessary for the growth, development and repair of all body tissues. It's involved in many body functions, including formation of collagen, absorption of iron, the immune system, wound healing, and the maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth....It is needed for the health and repair of various tissues in your body, including skin, bone, teeth and cartilage. Persistent lack of vitamin C in your diet can lead to a condition called scurvy. Symptoms of scurvy include easy bruising, easy bleeding and joint and muscle pains...Symptoms of scurvy result from severe vitamin C deficiency. They include bleeding sores, tooth loss, anemia, and a reduced rate of healing for injuries. Scurvy is treatable with oral or intravenous vitamin C supplements...

26. heyitsannnee

heyitsannnee New Member

Vitamin C plays an important role in a number of bodily functions including the production of collagen, L-carnitine, andsome neurotransmitters. It helps metabolize proteins and its antioxidant activity may reduce the risk of some cancers.

27. eddiealex

eddiealex New Member

Vitamin supplements especially vitamin c is very important for the overall health of any man. It's always advisable to take vitamin c regularly

28. Arshi

Arshi New Member

Aside from its ability to prevent scurvy, vitamin C is also required in many essential metabolic processes.

Vitamin C is essential for the synthesis and maintenance of collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body. Collagen comprises about 25% to 35% of the total protein content in the body. Its strong, connective, elongated fibrils are found in skin, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, bone, blood vessels, the intestines, and the discs between spinal vertebrae. It is also found in the cornea and in muscle tissue.

Basement membrane is a thin, sticky layer that supports epithelial cell layers — tissues that line the surfaces and cavities throughout the body (like the lining of the stomach and the lining of blood vessels). It binds the glomerular capillaries in the kidneys to the Bowman’s capsule which is necessary for blood filtration. It also attaches the pulmonary capillaries in the lungs to the lung alveoli. In addition, basement membrane functions as a restrictive barrier to prevent cancer cells from passing deeper into tissues.

Vitamin C is an essential cofactor for the synthesis of carnitine - an amino acid that is necessary for the transport of fatty acids into mitochondria. This transfer of fatty acids is an important factor in the production of the ATP that is necessary for cellular energy.

Vitamin C is directly involved in the synthesis of neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are biological molecules that facilitate the electrical flow between neurons and nerve cells in the body and in the brain. The body’s ability to respond to the environment, as well as the brai

The formation and maintenance of quality, high-density bone material requires vitamin C. Vitamin C promotes assimilation of calcium into the bone, protects against leaching of calcium out of the bones, and fights the oxidative stress that works against assimilation.

The immune system functions of vitamin C are so important . Vitamin C Supports a Healthy Immune System.

Here is a list of how vitamin C works with the immune system:

Vitamin C supports:

• Production of interferons

• Function of phagocytes

• Cytokine production by white blood cells

• Cell-mediated immune response

• Nitric oxide production by phagocytes

• T-lymphocyte proliferation

• B-lymphocyte proliferation

• Antibody production and complement activity

• Natural killer cell activity

• Prostaglandin formation

• Cyclic GMP levels in lymphocytes

• Localized generation of, and/or interaction with, hydrogen peroxide

• Detoxification of histamine

• Neutralization of oxidative stress

• Immune response to vaccination

• Mucolytic effect

• Function of antibiotics

29. writeaslym

writeaslym New Member

Vitamin c is important for immune function, cell protection and wound healing. According to the health people, vitamin c comes from fruits and vegetables mostly. There are supplements but they produce too much vitamin c so it is wise not to exceed a certain max limit each day. Getting 5 fruit and vegetables servings each day will actually be enough to supply the required amount of this vitamin

30. Jaylaw

Jaylaw New Member

Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is used to: Form an important protein used to make skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Heal wounds and form scar tissue.Vitamin C is a vital nutrient for health. It helps form and maintain bones, skin, and blood vessels. It occurs naturally in some foods, especially, fruit and vegetables.