Tips for Aspiring Playwrights

Discussion in 'Writing for Stage and Screen' started by ellamcasi, Mar 14, 2018.

1. ellamcasi

ellamcasi New Member

* Look for the people who tell stories all the time. You'll soon start spotting them everywhere, from newspapers to snatches of overhead conversation.
    * Ask yourself what your story is.
    * Get into the habit of writing. You're short time, try writing little but often.
    * Overwrite, then cut.
    * Do whatever works for you.
    * Give your main character obstacles to overcome.
    * What are your characters' wants and objectives?
    * Make your character extraordinary or larger than life in some way.
    * Read your play out loud to yourself.
    * Don't send script out immediately.

2. whifflet

whifflet New Member

I'd also say to try cutting your teeth on adapting extant works that are out of copyright, like Dracula.

3. chrissychris

chrissychris New Member

Damn, I do most of this stuff already! I'm surrounded by talkers. My mom is the biggest talker I know. I bet if I interviewed her I could have tons of material.

4. sybilchristie

sybilchristie New Member

Playwriting is a form of artistic expression still the play is created with the purpose to be staged and thus a balance has to be achieved between freedom of expression and theatrical value.Best play writers such as Ionesco,Shakespeare or Beckett masterfully combine both.

5. Brokewriter

Brokewriter New Member

Yes, well, all of those things are true for every form of writing. Not just playwrighting. To me what separates a true playwright form a regular writer is the fact that they can imagine how it would look if it was made into a play. Learn from famous playwriters, William Shakespeare is a big one. Have you ever read a Shakespeare play and realize that there the majority of the play is only dialogue, no setting or descriptions? That's because how the play will look is not your concern. It's the theatre troupe who will be making it. Also, this is where you need to think small. If you take a look at everyday life, there's not a lot of big and dynamic scenes that happen. Make your play like that mostly. Have a big scene but make sure that it makes sense in the context of the show. If you have a show about a young man trying to reconnect with his distant, dying father, then having the big scene be about the father being a drug dealer. Won't really make sense. Playwriting is a form of artistic expression but let it be grounded in a sense of realism and let it be something unique to you. Otherwise, we will just have more and more Marvel and Star Wars knockoffs with big scenes and not a lot of character development.

6. Sirjp

Sirjp Member

Thank you for the tips. It will help future ans aspiring playwriters. Please post more tips in tjis forum.