To root or not to root...

Discussion in 'Cell Phones & Tablets' started by jetpackjeff, Jul 3, 2016.

1. jetpackjeff

jetpackjeff New Member

One of the things that draws me to using Android over iPhone is the limitless ability to customize my phone using root and all of the different tools and apps that require system access. I can really personalize my phone and make it operate and look exactly how I would like it.

Rooting is a little bit of an in depth technical process depending on your phone make and model. Most Samsung and LG phones are pretty easy to root following simple Youtube tutorials or reading tutorials on the XDA forums for your specific model. Rooting requires a little technical knowhow and persistance however.

The problem with rooting is the fact that this process is sometimes not reversible and could damage your phone and void your phone useless if you do something wrong to the filesystem. It also normally voids your warranty so if anything else happens to your phone, the manufacturer will not provide warranty repair or replacement service.

Do you think rooting is worth the risks? I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

2. trojohn.war1991

trojohn.war1991 New Member

The procedure on how to get your phone rooted is not easy to follow if you're not really into it. I had my phone soft-bricked multiple times but managed to get it working with the help of online resources.

It may sound unnecessary but having a rooted phone would mean that you have the freedom to make alterations without having to worry about system restrictions. I love the idea of being able to install great applications (for rooted phones only) which would make your phone work even better. I also love the idea that I can make it look different by customizing its interface. I can remove pre-installed apps to have enough memory and etc.

3. Bankaimaster

Bankaimaster Member

Oh yes definitely root. If it is one thing I tend to like it is custom ROMS. Plus being able to sideload apps and get rid of junk I don't need is a huge plus. I did that for my Samsung Galaxy Note II when I had it, slapped on JediROMS on it. Man I enjoyed that phone so much I am tempted to get a Note 3...but nope my Oneplus is fine. Tooting is one of the reasons I like Android in the first place. Gives you a lot of options, which depending on what ROM you use, may even include overclocking and such.

4. 144hzmonitorguy

144hzmonitorguy New Member

I think the answer to this question lies in the interest of your specific phone model. For root to be accessible, someone (on XDA, it's usually Chainfire, the author of SuperSU) or a team of people must find a way to root a specific phone and then publish that information for others to use. The availability of that information depends on how interested people are in your phone, and therefore how devoted they are to create a rooting tool. Samsung, LG, HTC, and other popular phone makers obviously attract most of the rooting attention. My point is, usually more popular phones have more success in root and custom ROM territory. With that out the way, if your phone has a root method that is stable enough, I definitely agree on rooting. Android is already a very free operating system and granting root access to the user only expands it. Customization is endless on various levels; aesthetically, functionally and even on a hardware level as well (locked LED light mods, for example). I'm definitely pro-root, if your specific phone model has a stable means of granting root access.

5. TeraBill

TeraBill New Member

Personally, I go with the ability to personalize or customize any device over a standard "blackbox" build of any variant. I wish phones would take more of a standardized approach to hardware as they seem to have done with software and allow users to have the ability to update their phones individual components (much like say a desktop computer?) and allow us to change and swap out hardware and software as we please. Alas, I'm a victim of the Apple walled garden and cannot have access to any of these features and i doubt any of us will for quite some time, however I remain optimistic for the future and hopefully where we wont have to circumvent software conventions and instead have the options incorporated into the product from day one.

6. geekyhumans

geekyhumans New Member

I think the answer to this question is “Yes”. Since I’ve rooted my phone I can say that it’s better to root your phone. But before rooting you should know that there are some disadvantages like:-

1. You may brick your phone.
    2. It voids warranty.
    3. If you are using Nexus devices, then you may not able to download the system updates.

Gaining root access on Android is akin to running Windows as an administrator. You have full access to the system directory and can make changes to the way the OS operates. As part of rooting, you install usage manager (SuperSU is the main one right now). These tools are basically the gatekeeper of root access on your phone. When an app requests root, you have to approve it using the root manager.

7. camshaq23

camshaq23 Member

I usually root my new android phones as I get them. It's better to have your phone rooted in order for you to gain certain privileges that could help you modify the phone to your heart's true desire.

8. Hux

Hux Active Member

I think it's worth it. There's hardly any risks, so long as you know what you're doing.. I used to jailbreak my iPhones for the same reasons, and I do think it's worth doing.

9. Weeb

Weeb Member

Rooting is always reversible (as long as you have a backup), but I personally always choose to root my device as it unlocks it's full potential and I love switching to roms up on my device as well so I can check out the different experiences you can have with the device. Only thing I suggest is that you do some research into your device to see if it has a large history with bricking the device or not.

10. Veezyjay

Veezyjay New Member

Rooting is definitely worth the risks. Using a non-rooted phone feels like being bounced at a party, and you have to wait outside when you could be having a really good time inside. I don't think I have ever used a phone that is not rooted. I usually root it on the first night I buy it. If you follow the right procedures, there won't be any problem. The only thing to watch out for would be apps that try to take unnecessary advantage of the root privilege, by popping out annoying ads every now and then or installing things without your permission. To stay safe, you just have to be careful about the apps you install after rooting, and also be sure to make a full backup in case things get out of hand. Recently, unrooting isn't a problem because there are apps that can unroot your device in just one click, so you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty.

11. rajputshiv276

rajputshiv276 New Member

I think rooting will definitely kill your phone.I have done it with two of my phones.In starting it provide you feel good because you are able to access all the feature but lately it start loosing its performance.

12. ignisfatuus

ignisfatuus New Member

One of the main reason I root my phone is because to get rid all the bloatware in my phone. You'd be surprise how many space you can get by removing all these unwanted apps. And if you're using old device and you want to update to the latest Android, rooting and flashing new custom ROM is the way to go.

13. adeyemi

adeyemi Member

To root is better because you will be able to explore your phone to it's maximum without any restrictions though warranty will be void if there is any faulty during the process

14. Realest

Realest New Member

Using a rooted phone feels so much better. Most phones come with a lot of bloatware installed in them, and it is only through rooting that you can be able to uninstall them. This releases a lot of space on your ROM which can be used for more useful things. When done right (using appropriate methods, and making full ROM backup), there are no risks involved in rooting. And it is now very easy to unroot, thus taking you back to the previous state of your phone, in case you are worried about warranty.

15. jcole

jcole Member

Rooting a mobile to my opinion indirectly simplifies damaging the phone i.e allowing unknown software sources to act on it which is highly risky and may lead to early damage.

16. Afrojuju

Afrojuju New Member

To root or jailbreak your phone, all depends on the type of user you are. if you are the average consumer, which 95% of smartphone users are. there is really no reason to root or jailbreak a phone. The basic features should probably be enough for you. on the other hand, if you are a nerd or just curious on attening the optimum username expirence that a smartphone can offer, most importantly if you know what you are doing. Then, rooting our phone can be a fantastic idea. especially on Andriod phones.

17. celine.amaris

celine.amaris New Member

Rooting a phone are only for those people who wants to personalize their phone in a deeper manner. I would prefer not to root because rooting could cause some troubles and I don't want to experience it. For me simplicity is beauty!

18. rapain

rapain New Member

I'm an Android user even my newly brought android phone I'm really tempt to root it, doesn't matter to me the warranty will be voided.
    I really like customizing my phone to its limit like flashing custom roms ,exposed modules,apps that need root access
    its really depend to the user if your a tech enthusiast you can go for root.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  19. Calvin Karlo

Calvin Karlo New Member

The advantages of rooting
    Gaining root access on Android is akin to running Windows as an administrator. You have full access to the system directory and can make changes to the way the OS operates. As part of rooting, you install usage manager (SuperSU is the main one right now). These tools are basically the gatekeeper of root access on your phone. When an app requests root, you have to approve it using the root manager.

The risks of rooting
    Rooting your phone or tablet gives you complete control over the system, and that power can be misused if you’re not careful. Android is designed in such a way that it’s hard to break things with a limited user profile. A superuser, however, can really trash things by installing the wrong app or making changes to system files. The security model of Android is also compromised to a certain degree as root apps have much more access to your system. Malware on a rooted phone can access a lot of data. Again, you need to be careful what you install.

20. Cris2377

Cris2377 New Member

Basically rooted phone or a jailbreak iphone is depend or what u want to do on your android or a iphone if u want to use the full capacity of your phone or something to modifide apps, to speed up phone or os
    For me i like my phone not rooted

21. xdarwinx

xdarwinx New Member

To root..
    The advantages of rooting

• Gaining root access on Android is akin to running Windows as an administrator. You have full access to the system directory and can make changes to the way the OS operates. As part of rooting, you install usage manager (SuperSU is the main one right now). These tools are basically the gatekeeper of root access on your phone. When an app requests root, you have to approve it using the root manager.

So what can you do with root specifically? Let’s say there’s a system app that you really don’t like seeing, but it can’t be disabled through the standard method. With root you can run an app like Titanium Backup to delete or permanently hide the app. Titanium can also be used to manually back up all the data for an app or game so you can restore it to another phone. Want to change the way your device’s CPU behaves or alter the system UI? Those also require root. Ad-blocking software on Android needs root access as well (it modifies the Android hosts file to block known ad servers).

[​IMG]

Android has more built-in backup smarts than it once did, but having root access ensures you’ll never lose anything again. Not only can you restore “deleted” files, you can make full backups of your apps and system. That’s handy in case your tinkering breaks something, and you have to repair the OS.

22. mr.edan09

mr.edan09 New Member

For me root because there are more things that can I do in rooted device. There are more tricks that can I do and you can upgrade your android device at your own risk. My phone is rooted I used some application that makes me happy like Apk editor, Xposed installer, Ram expander and Lucky patcher. The common tricks that can I do on my rooted device is to hack my neighbor wi-fi using Andro dumper that's why many of my friends amaze with me because I know all the password of our neighborhood wi-fi.

23. iAmMe23

iAmMe23 New Member

I believe rooting your phone can damage your device and if it is new phone then you just rooted it your warranty become useless for them. But for me, it would be better to have your phone rooted because you can do lots of things. You can customize you device, increase the speed performance and even your phone battery life. I know that because I'm using a rooted android phone :)

24. joshyyy

joshyyy New Member

Why do people root their phone?

For those who feel their phone can’t do enough, rooting it may provide the ultimate sense of liberation. The practice of rooting first gained traction in the early days of Android, especially by those who loved the idea of tinkering with their phones and who wanted to extend the functionality beyond what the manufacturer had allowed.

For me, you should not root your phone because the most prominent risk of rooting is that you void the warranty on your phone. This could be an expensive problem if you’ve recently spent $700 or more on a new device and something goes haywire. People with excellent development skills may be able to restore their phones to their original states if something goes wrong, but it is a risk you’ll have to consider.
    Policies on rooting vary widely by manufacturer. Some phones are sold with an unlocked bootloader and may not restrict rooting. (Of course, if you pick up a used device from a site such as eBay or Swappa, you’re on your own anyway.)

Not to mention, there’s this tiny thing known as Android malware. Rooted phones are more susceptible, as your custom ROM is very unlikely to be kept up-to-date with the latest Google security updates, which are released each month. Yes, it’s true that not all manufacturers release these updates to their devices each month. There’s also the chance you may brick your phone, meaning you’ve made errors with the software that cause the phone to stop working altogether.

25. Em Jay

Em Jay Member

Are any of you actually reading and writing these posts with a straight face? I've never heard of rooting, as opposed to routing, a piece of technology. These comments are hilarious! (Maybe they're lost on people who aren't from Australia?)

26. RNicoMada

RNicoMada New Member

Well.... rooting is a thing and it's not related to routing. Rooting is the process of accessing superuser privileges on a device. If you didn't know, Android is based of the Linux operating system and in a Linux based OS the default superuser (think windows administrator if you have no idea what Linux is) is called root, that's where the name come from. Nowadays most Android phones do not give you root access by default for security reasons. However, one might want to root his phone if he wants or need to, usually to install applications which need more access to the phone or to customize the Android system itself.

27. Em Jay

Em Jay Member

ROFL!!! :laugh: Rooting is two things, actually. At least here, in Australia. But I'm sorry I mentioned it. Lol.