To skip or not to skip breakfast?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by NBair, May 17, 2015.

1. NBair

NBair New Member

I know some people believe they are too busy to eat breakfast while others believe fasting is the best way to lose weight. Studies have showed that eating a good sized breakfast actually causes you to burn more calories throughout the day! What are some good, quick breakfast ideas?

1 person likes this.
  2. penny_32

penny_32 New Member

Skipping breakfast is not a good idea! Most studies I've read have shown that eating a filling and healthy breakfast is good for you and will help you lose weight. Eggs are a great breakfast idea, since they're filled with protein. Hard boiled eggs can be prepared the night before so you can just grab them and go. Are you on any dietary restrictions?
    I'd say anything with protein will be good for your breakfast. I have toast with peanut butter sometimes, which is quick and easy.

3. arash1

arash1 New Member

Skipping breakfast slows down your metabolism, but leaves you hungry so you eat more at other meals. I think if you are trying to live a healthy lifestyle, you learn to make time even if that is the night before. On mornings that I don't have time because I am headed to school or work, I always make breakfast the night before. Its easy and simple, you can make overnight oats by simply mixing some oats and milk in a jar/container and leaving it overnight and in the morning simply add fruit or nuts. Another great idea is to have some fresh fruit portioned out so the mornings I really don't have even a few minutes all I have to do is grab it out of the fridge.

1 person likes this.
  4. elsiejean

elsiejean New Member

Eating Breakfast in the morning is a fuel booster. It doesn't have to be a big IHOP type of breakfast, but something that has fiber and protein to hold you over until lunch. Breakfast containing a lot of sugar should be avoided, because it will make you more tired after the sugar rush wears off. And it will only make you more hungry sooner. For those that don't have the time to cook a quick breakfast, a granola bar on the go will help.

1 person likes this.
  5. quemism

quemism New Member

Skipping breakfast alone should not slow down your metabolism. Others, however, are correct when they say that not eating breakfast will make you more hungry when you finally do eat a meal. If you are prone to overeating then skipping breakfast may not be in your best interest. If you are not working out in the morning, I recommend that you eat a high protein breakfast with a piece of fruit. If you are working out, I recommended a little more carbohydrates with a decent amount of protein. Greek yogurt is good in this case. You can add fruit or cereal to your yogurt and you should be full until lunch. However, everyone is different. Experiment with different foods for breakfast and learn what works for you!

1 person likes this.
  6. karon7787

karon7787 New Member

Studies show that skipping breakfast slows down your metabolism. You should never skip breakfast. If you are spare on time in the mornings try to prepare fast and easy meals that are have nutrients in them. For instance, maybe make a quick smoothie in a bullet blender. Or grab some fruit and yogurt! Something is better than nothing when it comes to breakfast!

1 person likes this.
  7. blanka

blanka New Member

Hi my name is Blanca and I don't think skipping breakfast is a really good idea, breakfast is necessary in order to reach your peak when it comes to having energy for the day, it is highly recommended to have at least three meals a day breakfast of course is the most important one of these, even though lunch and dinner play an important part to Staying healthy, breakfast can keep us going throughout the day as long as we eat the right foods.

1 person likes this.
  8. DoraAubree

DoraAubree New Member

Eating breakfast is a metabolism boost for the body and helps the body burn calories all day. Be sure to include protein and healthy carbs with breakfast, including cottage cheese and a piece of fruit or a hard boiled egg and unsweetened applesauce w/cinnamon. You should try to eat every 3 hours. When you don't eat, your body goes into fasting mode, so that when you do take in food, your body wants to store it instead of using it for energy.

1 person likes this.
  9. Corzhens

Corzhens New Member

Take this from my father - breakfast is the most important meal of the day because your digestive system had been at rest for more than 8 hours. I didn't believe him then especially when I was already late for school. It was my wont to skip breakfast until the time I graduated and got a job. In the office, I learned to eat good breakfast and had developed that habit which I carry until now. So when the schedule is very tight and I am in a hurry, I would drink milk and grab a few biscuits to tide me over until I get the time to eat good breakfast.

Here are examples of a good breakfast.... Fried egg with bacon and bread. Or fried rice with fried dried fish with salted eggs and tomatoes. For dieters, you can settle for soup and crackers plus fruit juice.

1 person likes this.
  10. PeytonKay

PeytonKay New Member

NEVER skip breakfast, if you want to 'fast' to loose weight make it the 4 hours before bed that way everything is out of your system when you sleep. For breakfast I like to have block cheese cut up with some fruit. I don't like cereal and I'm allergic to oats but for a quick breakfast I normally have cheese and fruit and maybe a protein. Now, for a day where I am willing to wait about 40 minutes my absolute favorite breakfast is salmon. Roasted and seasoned anyway and served alone or with something. It is rich and healthy but also fatty enough to make you feel full and have plenty of energy. Plus is it delicious.

1 person likes this.
  11. lightofurlife

lightofurlife New Member

I have read some articles that claim eating a big breakfast actually boost your metabolism because you have all day to burn off the carbs. But I personally skip breakfast most of the time because I'm not a morning person and the last thing on my mind is breakfast when I barely want to get out of bed.
    If you really have to have something to munch on in the morning I'd suggest a granola bar, instant oatmeal, or a breakfast sandwich because they're quick and filling.

rjortec21 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. carl

carl New Member

This question is one of plenty questions everybody asks. I say to skip breakfast is extremely unhealthy for your body. Without having a healthy meal in the morning it can have an negative toll on your body throughout the day.

1 person likes this.
  13. markoid

markoid New Member

Skipping breakfast has been proven to be unhealthy. Not only that, but breakfast also helps you get on your feet and stay energized for the beginning of the day (where it matters the most).

1 person likes this.
  14. md12

md12 New Member

I personally can't skip breakfast, or I feel like I'm dragging through the day with a cloudy, unfocused mind. I also tend to be extremely irritable, though this is helped by getting my morning dose of coffee! However, if I don't eat something, the coffee usually sours my stomach and makes me more jittery instead of focused.

My go-to for a quick, healthy breakfast are some steel-cut oats, made in 2-3 minutes in the microwave with cut up bananas and peanut butter stirred in. Carbs keep me going, peanut butter helps me stay full and gives some decent protein. Cheap too!

1 person likes this.
  15. cia

cia New Member

Breakfast is really important! There is a German saying that goes 'breakfast like a king, lunch like a citizen, dinner

DONT skip breakfast!
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and also the time where you should eat the most. I barely have time in the morning to make all the food that I am supposed to eat in the morning which is why I am a huge fun of meal preparation. For example if some chicken breast is left over from dinner or whatever meat you have left, put it in a lunch box with cutted vegetables that you like in a salad. Prepare the dressing in a bowl or in a container whatever you have at home. Then in the morning put the dressing in the lunchbox and shake the box (I wouldnt do this with tomatoes) and you're done. If I still have time left I make myself a sandwich with wholewheat toast and guacamole!

16. Camoz

Camoz New Member

I don't think it is meaningful to take breakfast. I believe one should take a meal when they have earned hunger. Skip breakfast for one day and see if there is any effect in the normal working of your body. Skip it for a couple of days and soon it will be an habit. Eat only when you have an earned hunger and your body is going to be perfectly fine. Give it a try.

17. dpaclipan

dpaclipan New Member

I can't skip breakfast. I will probably have a headache and a tummy ache if I do.

18. abbiria

abbiria New Member

Never ever skip breakfast. Your body needs fuel for the whole day and eating the right foods for breakfast is really important on your daily nutritional diet. There is a possibility that you will over eat if you dont eat breakfast. Cereals, sandwitch or fruits can be a good start. Always make time to eat in the morning ypur mood will lighten up and you will feel more energetic all day.

19. Navishka

Navishka New Member

Skipping breakfast is not advisable as it results in a greater consumption of food throughout the day leading to weight gain. My favourite breakfast is Avacado sandwich which only requires a few thin slices of avacado and tomato on whole grain bread and some salt and pepper sprinkled on top.

20. kiyoung

kiyoung New Member

Definitely not skip breakfast. I've been skipping breakfast for such a long time before and it just made me really cranky, sleepy and weak throughout the day. You would say you don't have time for it but there are loads of quick and easy breakfast recipes out there that you can try to have a hassle free morning. Always remember that starting your day with a nutritious breakfast can make a huge difference in your health and in your life.

21. 707freelancer

707freelancer New Member

I skip breakfast more often than I should, thats for sure. In fact this post just reminded me that I haven't eaten breakfast yet today. I should probably go do that now.

22. bigforum

bigforum New Member

You are correct. I see many overweight people say they skip breakfast every day in order to lose weight, but it doesn't seem to be working out too well for them. Also, eating a big breakfast can also mean you don't have such a big lunch, or a big dinner at the end of the day.

Countless time I ate an enormous breakfast and a big lunch, but when it came time to have dinner, I just couldn't fit any more in. Having a small dinner means you will lose weight, because you do not use up many calories when you sleep. Also, if you have a small dinner, it will be easier to wake up with an empty stomach and consume a big breakfast.

Some good and quick breakfast ideas can include:

- Egg on toast
    - Low fat cereal
    - Banana Oatmeal
    - Berry Smoothies

I hope this helps.

23. dmathon

dmathon New Member

Please don't skip breakfast I think it is the most important meal of the day! Whatever "time" your breakfast falls in is fine but eat something healthy and filling. I personally enjoy oatmeal its quick and easy and you can spice it up any way you like, different fruits/spices. Or a egg whites with avocado, for a quick walk out the door "breakfast I'll grab a homemade granola bar, a piece of fruit, and a water. Explore different healthy options to find something you love!

24. Rebecca Jacobs

Rebecca Jacobs New Member

Eating breakfast is so important for weight loss as well as hormone balance. When you eat a high protein breakfast it will help to balance blood sugar levels and help to regulate cortisol levels which in turn will help with weight loss. What you eat is important as well. You want to stay away from high sugared breakfast items and opt for a high protein clean breakfast. A great breakfast could be 1/2 cup of oats with 1 egg and some blueberries.

25. JohnMan

JohnMan New Member

I think The majority of people do not have enough time to get their breakfast. I personally think that they do not know about the advantages of breakfast. The first one, it gives accurate energy throughout the day. The second one, There is a research that illustrates I you do not take you breakfast you will increase the probability of developing diabetes. Those two strongly inform us to take our breakfast.

26. burrdun

burrdun New Member

I feel sick if I skip breakfast, I have to have something to get me going. I don't have a massive breakfast though, toast or cereal will do. I would love a big breakfast of bacon and eggs every morning but I couldn't be bothered with the cooking so I just make quick and easy things. When I do treat myself to a big breakfast like that I can manage on quite a light lunch so I don't think big breakfasts make me overeat.

Studies seem to suggest that breakfast is important but I do know some people who say having breakfast makes them feel ill so I think you've got to do what works for you.

27. Fahima

Fahima New Member

If you're trying to live a healthy lifestyle and lose weight, I would say definitely do not skip breakfast. As many people say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Also, you are supposed to eat the most calories during breakfast time to help fuel you for the rest of the day.

1 person likes this.
  28. texasmamapreneur

texasmamapreneur New Member

You know what, I love breakfast.. but eating it during an actual breakfast time, almost never happens! But I started being more conscious of the fact that I need to eat breakfast regularly and began to make smoothies or breakfast shakes. Oh man! What a difference I've noticed! I feel more energized and alert in the morning and it's nice to get some fruits and veggies in early where I wouldn't otherwise.

My suggestions for quick morning breakfasts.. fruit smoothies, meal replacement shakes, granola bars, yogurt, and egg muffin cups. Not all at once of course. But these are great ideas to start your morning off right!

29. Bexxv

Bexxv New Member

I'm not for or against breakfast. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't force myself to eat. When I do have breakfast I try to keep it healthy and as simple as possible. Half an avocado on wholegrain toast with a poached egg is a favourite. I also keep ziplock bags in the freezer containing ingredients to make a smoothie. It's so easy to grab one out of the freezer on a morning, throw it in the blender and have a smoothie to take with me to work.

30. tuvy

tuvy New Member

My best and big eat for the day is breakfast. Then I slowly taper down my food intake for lunch and dinner.

1 person likes this.