Wanting to write in English but having a hard time in grammar

Discussion in 'Writing Digital Content' started by ahllen, Aug 31, 2018.

1. ahllen

ahllen Member

I love writing and sharing the world about my views and oppinions but I'm having a hard time with my grammar. How great it will be if I'm able to talk and write fluently in English so I will have more chance to share my thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  2. Lushh

Lushh New Member

There are some useful English grammar tools online. I would start with doing a search in Google and choose one of the free courses to work with. From there I would work with someone who is good at English grammar to look over my work to ensure everything is in tact so I can get my thoughts out there to the world. All the best!

1 person likes this.
  3. English is not the measure of intelligence but it is a skill that can be work out. Me, personally im not good in english but we can develop on it by practicing through speaking and writing. Also, everywhere in the world have diffirent languages so its understadable that everyone can make mistakes gramatically but its always advantage to be good in english because its an Universal Language.

2 people like this.
  4. ahllen

ahllen Member

that's true

1 person likes this.
  5. ahllen

ahllen Member

yup! im thinking off trying some online courses to improve.

1 person likes this.
  6. iambeth

iambeth New Member

There are a lot of resource materials that you can use to study. You're lucky nowadays that you can search for anything that you need to know in the internet. Look for online courses you can enroll in and there are a number of tutorial videos in You Tube you can watch as well. Your determination is inspiring so stay motivated and I'm sure you'll succeed.

1 person likes this.
  7. looper23

looper23 New Member

I think the best way to be fluent is to just immerse yourself in the language in all its forms. Reading books would be the best way, but you could also read comic books and magazines. Also, you could watch English movies and TV shows with subtitles on. This way, you could get into the flow of things and see how English speakers actually talk with their slang words and expressions. It will probably take some time, but you will get used to it. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. Caret26

Caret26 New Member

Read books, listen to people with good English command, watch movies and personally set yourself into studying dictionaries.

1 person likes this.
  9. LesY

LesY New Member

True that. What I can suggest you is first don't give up! I know it feels like you are never going to make it (I've been there), but if you dedicate time and keep writing you will out best yourself in no time. Second, you can try Grammarly, Spellcheckplus, or any similar website so you can review what you write and correct the mistakes you make, this way your writing quality will improve and you will feel more confident.

Third, don't get discouraged if someone at some point criticizes your writing, don't forget the majority of people who criticize are those who are not brave enough to try and you have the most important thing to succeed which is the will to improve.

Great advice @looper23. I agree with you there is no better way to learn or improve a language than to surround ourselves with it. I might add there is an app called HelloTalk where you can talk with people who are fluent in the language you want to learn and you can help them with your mother tongue or any other language you may know. Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  10. courtney00

courtney00 New Member

Hi, You can write in English . then if you want to have good grammar easily, there's a website , just search "correcting grammar" copy your Sentences then paste on it. Correct grammar of your work with come out

1 person likes this.
  11. MaggiNoodles

MaggiNoodles New Member

There are a lot of ways to improve your grammar. Start by reading about the basics of English grammar, as it is one of the most direct ways to improve on it. If you don't like that approach, learn by reading tabloids, articles, magazines, and other English written media. I highly recommend reading more formal articles to improve your writing grammar.

1 person likes this.
  12. bigredcar

bigredcar New Member

As others have mentioned, I think the best way to get better at English is simply to read English text whenever possible. Read books, articles, forums, anything you can get your hands on in English. The more you are exposed to the language the better you will retain it.

Even people who speak English as their first language have problems with spelling and grammar. I would give those people the same advice as you. Usually, those who are good at grammar, spelling, syntax, etc. are avid readers. When you see the language so often it becomes part of your subconscious. You innately know how to spell words and how to write proper sentences. I know it would be harder for someone who was learning English as their second language, but it does work.

13. chillea

chillea New Member

I agree with the replies here. Do not give up trying and learning, as it has its rewards. In terms of grammar, why not try to go back to the basic grammar lessons like tenses and then subject-verb agreements, then adjectives and so on. You may also try to read newspapers, journals and academic books so you can have a grasp of the proper grammar usage. You can also download apps and tutorials online. If you also have more time and extra finances, you can also enroll in a basic English and or English writing class where you will be literally taught in a classroom setting with a teacher. At least in this way, you can converse freely and immediately during the session.

14. spiderplant

spiderplant New Member

One thing that's helped me with learning the grammar of other languages is thinking of a short phrase I want to say in the language, and then entering that into a search engine to see if people actually say things that way. You can learn a lot about grammar as it's naturally used by native speakers by doing that. Some phrases seem like they would be used if you just look at the grammar rules in a textbook, but native speakers don't actually say things that way.

I'm a native speaker of English, and I certainly don't envy people who are learning it as a second language. There are so many arbitrary rules to learn, and our spelling system is atrocious.

15. aileenbcd

aileenbcd New Member

Being in a country with a lot of dialects, the first thing we do here in the Philippines when we transfer to a province with different dialects is to find kids and converse with them. By doing this, we are spared from being made fun of. We won’t get conscious of our mistakes in attempting to try the dialect. Why? It is because children do not care if we make mistakes. This is a good starting point in making small conversations. I believe this too is a good method in terms of learning the English language. By immersing oneself to a place where English is the language being used, this I think is the fastest way to learn English.

I am sure the net is full of information on how to learn something. Youtube has tons of videos to help you. The key here is patience and determination. How much do you want to be fluent and grammatically correct? How much time are you willing to put in order to learn? All the best and good luck!:):):)

16. gcm2455

gcm2455 Member

The best way to master grammar is to read a lot, aside from studying meticulously grammar rules. Enhance these efforts with writing or expressing your thoughts. Automaticity of learning syntax and rules follows.

17. Treveez

Treveez Member

For me
    reading a language, you don't need to know as much grammar. ... If you want to get better at writing, do more of it

18. jajamon04

jajamon04 Member

The best way to practice is through continously write something everyday. Grammar can be learned through constant practice. Also, read a lot of books as much as you can as it also helps you grasp how a language is constructed.

19. gcm2455

gcm2455 Member

I think you can express your ideas well and you can fluently express your thoughts.

20. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

Let your passion lead you. Just start writing what you want people to read about you. When you are done, go over your work. Organize your ideas and edit your work. I was hesitant at first but not anymore.

21. Treveez

Treveez Member

Many people struggle with writing in English and it can seem like a real ... using flash cards and test yourself whenever you have some spare time.