What are some foods high in protein?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Thomas Russo, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Thomas Russo

Thomas Russo New Member

I have been trying to put on muscle and I was wondering what are some foods high in protein? I have been eating a lot of chicken, fish, and legumes, because of their naturally high protein content, but I was wondering if there were any other foods that were high in protein? What are your favorite foods and food brands?

2. DangerPost

DangerPost New Member

You might be surprised to hear that broccoli has very high levels of protein in comparison to a lot of other vegetables. Grains like quinoa and brown rice contain protein as well. These are great alternative sources of protein if you (or your digestive system) is getting tired of all the meat and legumes that you have been eating!

3. PrettyPeachyKeen

PrettyPeachyKeen New Member

What other macros are you tracking outside of protein? That's definitely going to influence recommendations.

When I'm eating a "normal" diet where I'm trying to hit a protein goal + a calorie goal without limiting fats or carbs, I aim to only eat foods that have 1 gram of protein for 10 calories. That's pretty easy and the list is long; I love Chobani greek yogurt, Fairlife Chocolate Milk, pre-made brown rice Spicy Tuna Sushi. "Wrap-outs" have a flat bread that's usable like a tortilla that is 100 calories with 10g of protein. I've baked it at 350 to make tortilla chips, used it as a flatbread pizza and made breakfast wraps from it. ALDI grocery stores carries a similiar "flat" for cheaper, too.

If you're limiting fats or carbs, the list becomes MUCH shorter-- the things you listed out plus only a handful of others: non-fat cheese, non/low-fat cottage cheese, tuna, egg whites. With the latter, spices and low-cal sauces like soy sauce and hot sauce become critical to keeping things interesting.

And worst case scenario, you can always sip a protein shake to hit your protein goal!

4. acenter10

acenter10 New Member

For me, tuna has been a lifesaver- it's delicious, cheap, and high in protein. Granted, as with anything good in life, you can't have too much or it'll possibly kill you/make you horribly sick. I usually limit it to 2 cans of chunk light tuna per week.

I also love making my own smoothies using high-protein, low fat (or fat free) dairy. Typically, I'll add berries, skim milk, oatmeal, and vanilla greek yogurt. Sometimes to spice things up a bit I'll add a bit of PB2, which is basically powdered peanut butter with way less than half the calories.

5. edz26

edz26 Member

Healthy protein are found in white meat, lean beef, milk, eggs and beans. Sea foods is an excellent source of protein. Some exotic food like insects has high content of protein too. But always remember eat right amount of kind protein for the sake of your health.

6. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

of contents
    Eating foods high in protein has many benefits, including muscle building, weight loss, and feeling fuller after eating. Though eating lots of protein may be beneficial, eating a balanced diet is an essential part of staying healthy.

7. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Eating a protein-rich diet can help people lose weight because it can help them avoid overeating. A high protein diet can help build lean muscle when combined with exercise. Lean muscle helps to burn more caloriesthroughout the day, which can also help with weight loss.

8. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Black beans are often an inexpensive source of protein. Black beans can be prepared in a variety of ways, making them a very versatile ingredient when preparing meals.

9. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Yellow corn has about 15.6 g of protein per cup. Additionally, corn also contains a good amount of fiber and minerals, including calcium.

4. Salmon

Salmon is considered a fatty fish, meaning it is full of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon is also an excellent source of protein and can help a person feel more satisfied at meals. Salmon may not be as budget-friendly as some other protein options.

5. Potatoes

Potatoes have a reputation as a starchy carb but are good sources of nutrients, including protein. One medium potato with the skin on contains just over 4 g of protein. People should use caution when preparing a potato as the extras that people often put on potatoes can increase the calorie count.

10. Marshawn

Marshawn New Member

I would like to leave a comment on a plant based protein called moringa. Everyday knowledge tell us that meats are our best source of protein. But there is a plant based protein source on the market called moringa that has the same amino acid break down as meat.This is very important to the human family just based on the fights with cancer heart disease etc. Off the top of my head moringa is one of the best healthy sources of protein.

11. 118

118 New Member

The most affordable source of protein is egg. Eggs have 6 grams of high-quality protein and that a protein packed breakfast helps sustain mental and physical energy throughout the day?

12. Lhang

Lhang New Member

You should eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods. Like for example meat, poultry, fish, dairy, whole grains, healthy fats, fruits and veggies. What matters most is how many calories you eat and getting enough protein. If you want to avoid eating too many calories, watch out with processed foods.

13. CalvinGold

CalvinGold New Member

These are organised by food group and given in measurements of grams of protein per 100 grams of food portion. Most natural foods are composed largely of water. The reduction of water content has the greatest effect of increasing protein as a proportion of the overall mass of the foodstuff in question. It is to be noted that not all protein is equally digestible. Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS) is a method of evaluating the protein quality based on the amino acid requirements of humans. Eggs and other food s with beans are the best source of protein since it also has a low carbs and calorie.

14. CalvinGold

CalvinGold New Member

Probably the most publicized health benefit of broccoli is its possible ability to help prevent cancer. "Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable, and all vegetables in this group may be protective against some stomach and intestinal cancers. Not just a source of protein but a good anti cancer food.

15. CalvinGold

CalvinGold New Member

Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high quality protein. More than half the protein of an egg is found in the egg white along with vitamin B2 and lower amounts of fat than the yolk. Eggs are rich sources of selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper.

16. Remziel

Remziel Member

Protein makes up the building blocks of organs, muscles, skin, hormones and pretty much everything that matters in your body. For this reason, you should eat high-quality protein at every meal.
    Here is a list of 10 delicious foods that are high in protein.
    1. Eggs - They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, eye-protecting antioxidants and brain nutrients that most people don't get enough of.
    2.Almonds- Almonds are a popular type of tree nut.They are loaded with important nutrients, including fiber, vitamin E, manganese and magnesium.
    3. Chicken Breast- Chicken breast is one of the most popular protein-rich foods. If you eat it without the skin, the majority of calories in it come from protein.
    Chicken breast is also very easy to cook, and tastes delicious if you do it right.
    4. Oats - They are loaded with healthy fibers, magnesium, manganese, thiamin (vitamin B1) and several other nutrients.
    5. Cottage cheese It is loaded with Calcium, phosphorus, selenium, vitamin B12, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and various other nutrients.
    6. Greek Yogurt - also called strained yogurt, is a very thick type of yogurt. It tastes delicious, has a creamy texture, and is high in many nutrients.
    7. Milk - contains a little bit of almost every single nutrient needed by the human body and can provide several impressive health benefits.
    8. Broccoli - is an incredibly healthy vegetable, loaded with vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber and potassium. Broccoli is also high in various bioactive nutrients believed to help protect against cancer.
    9. Lean beef - is very high in protein, and also tastes delicious.
    10. Tuna - is a very popular type of fish. It is low in both fat and calories, so what you're left with is mostly just protein. Like other fish, tuna is also very high in various nutrients and contains a decent amount of omega 3- fats.

17. hexokwon

hexokwon New Member

Meat is high in protein. Some good examples are lean chicken breast, lean ground turkey, ham, beef jerky, etc.
    If you're not about that you could always go for nuts. Some examples are almonds, peanuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, things like that. There are also nut products like almond milk, peanut butter, cashew butter, etc.
    Soy is also an excellent source of protein. Tofu is great because it's pretty bland -- you can add almost any flavor to it. One trick -- if you freeze tofu and then let it thaw, you can wring it out and it will soak up any flavor you want. It changes the texture of the tofu to more of a meat texture. Then fry it on the stove! Another food from soy is edamame. You can usually find them in the frozen section. It's super healthy and great to snack on!

18. vinramoscareer

vinramoscareer New Member

My friend is into bodybuilding, so basically he tried to avoid fats, carbs, and even solid protein such as meat. You know what he has been doing? He drinks broccoli+chicken shake. For me, I think it's gross, but my friend is ripped, so I guess I'll give it a try.:confused:

19. romilda

romilda Member

Animal meat are high in protein.