What are some good websites to generate writing prompts?

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by crdavidson, May 6, 2018.

1. crdavidson

crdavidson New Member

I know there are lots of people out there who struggle to find things to write about, or at least to get started with a story. I am one of these people. Does anyone know any sites that are good for generating a list of random ideas, to get people started with a story?

2. blar567

blar567 New Member

Hello crdavidson! It can be hard to think of a topic to write about creatively if you're focusing on the fact that you can't come up with any ideas! I've found that Reddit has been a great resource in my writing journey, specifically the subreddit r/writingpromts. I like this subreddit because it can help me think of topics to write on, but can also serve as entertainment because other writers post their stories inspired by the writing prompt. It's heavy on the fantasy/futuristic genres, however, so if that's not your preferred genre in writing it may not be the best suited for you. There are other prompts available, however, so take a look and see if anything gets the words flowing from you!

3. SolChar

SolChar New Member

I use various sources myself. I have a few friends, I engage in writing events of various writing sites.
    You can also, as already suggested go to Reddit.

I also like http://www.springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/plotgens.htm as it had a lot of different generators, including random ideas. Then there is Pinterest and Tumblr. The search Writing Prompt or Writing Ideas should give you a good amount of results as well.

I hope this helps!