What are the disadvantages of online shopping?

Discussion in 'Internet' started by Glorianne123, May 29, 2018.

1. Glorianne123

Glorianne123 New Member

Technology had really influenced the lives of many people around the world. Many people purchased and pay their products online through credit and debit cards others were paying it through COD method. But what are the disadvantages of buying products online?

When you buy products online, expect that you can't really get what you want. For example, we shop online and buy our clothes but sometimes if the seller does not have the available color of the clothes they just substitute it with other colors without letting the buyer know. Others won't mind but there are still other people who chose that specific color of item for a reason. Sometimes the substitution policy does not make sense especially if you want to get the exact thing. Another is when you buy products online, you need to wait for 2-3 business days to get it delivered at your home so it's all about waiting game. Also, when you order products online you cannot guarantee if the product that you're trying to buy is authentic or not since a lot of scammers are spreading online so we should always be careful and buy only on trusted online stores.

Those are just a few examples of the disadvantages on buying products online. You can comment down below if you have something to add. Thanks for reading :)

michelle agapay likes this.
  2. bienn05

bienn05 Member

The emergence of online shopping is very obvious nowadays. Lazada, shoppee, zalora, instagram, and even facebook are some of the apps in online selling. Online shopping is very convenient for those who do not have time for going to malls just for buying something. A lot of executives used online shopping to have an easier shopping but this online shopping has also disadvantages.

Personally, I bought some things from Lazada so I think I have the authority to talk about this topic. Online shopping is very fun. The thing that you can track the items and deliver it infront of your door. The number one disadvantage I saw is the quality of the product. Sometimes quality is not like what you are expecting. Low quality products are very famous in this online shopping apps. Another disadvantage of this online shopping is the fact that sometimes someone else tend to fake the items and priced it a lot higher than the normal price.

3. eya0717

eya0717 New Member

I am an active online shop buyer, and for now, some of disadvantages are, 1) don't expect the appearance of the item to be exactly the same as you see on the pictures(mostly the color). 2) You can't guarantee the quality of the item 'cause you can see and inspect it after the delivery only. 3) Hard to exchange the item if it has a damage. (depends on the online shop though , ZALORA is a thumbs up in refund and exchange). But there's also a lot of advantages too, it's really a hassel-free shopping especially for some office-workers who can't even walk around in the office because of a lot computer works like me. You don't need to go around the mall, walking restless, and in the end you can't even find what you are looking for. Online shopping is very convenient for me, and i still using it these days regardless of disadvantages.:)

4. jenzkiedot

jenzkiedot New Member

Here are the most disadvantages of online shopping:
    * Delay in delivery. Long duration and lack of proper inventory management result in delays in shipment. Though the duration of selecting, buying and paying for an online product may not take more than 15 minutes; the delivery of the product to customer’ s doorstep takes about 1-3 weeks. This frustrates the customer and prevents them from shopping online.
    * Fraud online shopping. Sometimes, there is disappearance of shopping site itself. In addition to above, the online payments are not much secured. So, it is essential for e-marketers and retailers to pay attention to this issue to boost the growth of e-commerce. The rate of cyber crimes has been increasing and customers’ credit card details and bank details have been misused which raise privacy issues.
    * Lack of close examination in online shopping.
    A customer has to buy a product without seeing actually how it looks like. Customers may click and buy some product that is not really required by them. The electronic images of a product are sometimes misleading. The colour, appearance in real may not match with the electronic images.

People like to visit physical stores and prefer to have close examination of good, though it consumes time. That's why they prefer to order online.

5. K1ssesW1ns

K1ssesW1ns New Member

One thing I would like to add is how online shopping can be so damaging to actual brick-and-mortar retail locations and malls/shopping centers. There is an epidemic in America right now where many shopping malls are just completely dying...and the majority of the blame can be pointed to online shopping. Though I do love to shop online sometimes, I do want to support business and stores in my local community.

6. dina83

dina83 New Member

Certainly the internet has points which are positive, but like everything else, must have great caution in some of the actions is carried out over the internet, please this is to buy among the first actions, where you have to think carefully about how we will be carried out. First caution that I buy online and noticing whether the page is reliable, especially the methods of payment which are so easy to make a successful purchase, I have friends who have told me that this is one of the obstacles that just buy online that at the time of making the purchase, to pay all it becomes difficult.

This online world has become fashionable, that at this point any quantity of products purchased online, at this time to buy an insurance policy can be done by this means, this gives many benefits, especially if we are busy people who don’t move us much of our workplace, we can make the purchase from the comfort of our home, but not everything is rosy, there is always its negative points, in this medium and more even, which most of the time everything is impersonal way.

The disadvantage I have lived when buying over the internet, is the delay of delivery, this is really distressing, since as it takes long, you get to thinking that we have been cheated, this produces a very large uncertainty, this is why many people There is no and go to the store and bring your product at once, without having to wait until I sent him the purchase. Since to buy directly from the store, you can review your product at once if it is damaged, in the case of buying online is a great disadvantage is not known as reach the product.

7. nekochan30

nekochan30 Member

Shopping online makes our life easier and comfortable you don't need to go to the market to make a line at their cashier and it also saves your time that may convert your time to the family instead of going to the market. But make sure that when you buy products online check the quality first.

8. sumanapphia

sumanapphia Member

the disadvantage of online shopping is delay in delivery.lack of the real view of products.the products may be not as shown in pictures, there may not be enough discount than in the real market.

9. Airabaclor08

Airabaclor08 Member

The disadvantages of online shopping is you never know what exactly the product will be given to you, you can't measure it and you don't know if the product has a good quality. Unlike in the actual shopping you can touch and see the quality of the product that you are going to buy.

10. zajgrin

zajgrin New Member

The disadvantages of online shopping is delay in delivery. Sometimes long duration and lack of proper inventory management result in delays in shipment. Fraud and identity theft are a constant threat when buying over the internet. There are also major issues concerning the privacy of the data that is supplied to retailers by buyers. And only few sites offer free delivery. Shipping fee i often discouragement for online shoppers.

11. kaela23

kaela23 New Member

Online shopping is widely being used for convenient purposes like having it delivered straight to your home so hassle free going outside. However, there are disadvantages when shopping online.

-There are times that the delivery won't arrive to the date it should be shipped.
    -The most frustrating is since we're unable to see the actual product may be different than what was shown online or even worst defected products.
    -There's also issues with fraud, privacy of your information and not trustworthy sellers.

12. amdadoy

amdadoy New Member

A few disadvantages might deter customers from buying goods online like you can't try things on. If you're buying a clothing item, you can't feel the material, try it on, and see how it's made. Unless you know your measurements and are familiar with the brand of clothing offered, this could end up being a bad experience. Most stores online make it easy for you to return your item for this reason. Clothing websites usually post detailed measurement and fabric information to minimize returns. You can't always talk to someone immediately. If you have a question about what you're looking at, you may have to wait 24 hours to get a question answered. This situation is improving as many sites have added "instant chat" to address concerns and answer questions on the spot. Privacy and security are legitimate concerns for any online shopper, but there are precautions you can take to make sure your transaction is a safe one. For example, paying attention to HTTPS protocols, installing free spyware removal tools, knowing how to identify online scams and hoaxes, surfing anonymously, and keeping your web usage private are all smart ways to address any privacy and security issues.

13. Zeus20

Zeus20 New Member

The disadvantages of the online shopping, first is that you cant see the actual quality of the product you wanna buy, second is that you don't know if it works fine or it has defect, and lastly there is a lot of online shopping scams all over the internet. So my advice is, only shop to those trusted and proven online shopping sites in the internet never take the risk to buy on those who are just new online shops. Specially when you are paying via credit card there is a possibility that they will use your card and take away all your money. Beware.

14. abegailtangara

abegailtangara New Member

Online shopping is great especially for the people who don't have enough time to go to the market or malls. Many people also prefer shopping online because of the vast choices of products they can choose from. But despite of its advantages one of its greatest disadvantage is that people can't actually see or touch the product. From my experience, since I'm a fan of online shopping, it depends on what product you will order. I ordered a t-shirt once and it doesn't fit my size and I am disappointed with its quality. So, as I said it will greatly depend on what product you will order, I can suggest that you can trust them when it comes to gadgets, appliances, and other things.

15. flapdoodle_02

flapdoodle_02 New Member

There are plenty of disadvantages when shopping online. I think the major problem when shopping online is the chance to get scammed. According to a survey i read there are millions of money lost by scam when shopping online. that is why people should be very careful when shopping online.

16. Ronald Lopez

Ronald Lopez New Member

The main disadvantage of online shopping is, you can not receive the product immediately. you have to wait until the the product arrives.

Returning the item is difficult in case of online shopping. They usually wants the item within a short period of time and also you have to pay for the shipping charges again which is hard for customer to pay money from his pocket.

17. Relaterion

Relaterion New Member

Returns are an incredible pain. Luckily, many online stores will just refund you without returning the item because they understand the hassle and want you to leave happily, but what if they don't? They're not obligated to give you your money back on something they sold to you.

To return an item sent to you from the internet, you have to pay for shipping to return the item. Sometimes, the company doesn't even refund you for that shipping cost! You just paid for shipping on that item twice, and you weren't even satisfied with the item!

Worse yet, the item may get lost in the mail on the way back to the company. The company has no reason to believe you even attempted to send it back, so now you're left without the original cost of the product, the shipping costs you just paid to return the product, and you don't even have the product anymore!

I don't even bother with returns. If I can't get my money back immediately for their wrongdoing, it is not even worth the fuss.

18. MitchYan

MitchYan New Member

For me one of the disadvantages of buying something online is I do not physically seen the items that sometimes photos of items you see online are much better than once you have the item in front of you. I can bear waiting for the item because most of the time it was from abroad.

19. Arsal

Arsal Member

First of all please do not buy online items because you cannot physically see the items that you are going to buy, and there are confirmed the risk of fraud with you. lack of interaction surely, the main problem is that there is no salesman.there are may be shipping charges or overcharges. but in spite of that people love to buy things online because there are some sites that can 100% sure to deliver your selected item to send at your home with no charges. you can find the better price in online shopping, convenience, too much variety, price comparison, they allow you to buy things at the lowest rate as compared to physical shops. so I think online shopping is becoming more secure nowadays. Thanks

20. ferretales28

ferretales28 New Member

Well the disadvantage is only when you received the item different from what you expected because it really looks good on the picture shown so it is like expectation vs. reality after receiving it.

21. Hdmsc

Hdmsc New Member

Online shopping, although convenient, has a lot of disadvantages. First, you're more prone to impulse buying because you are presented with a lot of options. I've had personal experiences of only wanting to buy a particular item but ended up buying more because I saw them whilst shopping. Second, shipping can be a hassle especially if you don't live within the city. Sometimes the promised 2-3 days of shipping can take much longer. Although rare, there will be cases of your items not arriving, being incomplete, or have damages. Even if stores will have shipping protection, it's an additional work to file for. Lastly, there's the risk of scam. One way to combat that is to buy from real shopping websites or trusted online sellers, but there are some independent sellers who might have the item you want. The scam is not just when the items don't get shipped to you after paying but also if the items arrive and they look so different compared to the pictures posted.

22. bonesmith

bonesmith New Member

If you live in the US, Amazon's trying extremely hard to make online shopping more convenient than in-person shopping. With a click of a button, I can order groceries that'll be at my doorstep whenever I want them- and thanks to Amazon's Whole Foods buyout, I know exactly what I'm getting. The real disadvantages are honestly much more systematic than the potential for delayed shipping or a scam from a third-party seller; if you live in a small town, Amazon wreaks havoc on local economies, and the way it treats its laborers is unconscionable.

23. LefthandSuzuki

LefthandSuzuki New Member

My problem with online shopping is that all the power lies with the seller and the platform they are using that takes a cut of the money. When browsing at malls or outlet stores, you can see the product for yourself and hold it in your hands. There might even be store assistants to help you make a selection should you find yourself undecided.

Online, those rules don't apply. If you want reviews of a product, you'll have to search yourself and read what other strangers have been saying. The virtual market now necessitates that you use your best judgement to make a judgement. Too often are there sellers willing to prey on ignorant buyers using a variety of scams.

Amazon and eBay attempt to combat this with the rating and review system. But what happens when you're shopping prefernces don't align with an online community? Or you're buying from a new shop with no rating? This is where the seller can potentially cheat you out of your money by lying about what's being offered. You have no guarantee until the product arrives.

24. Positivevibess79

Positivevibess79 New Member

I have shopped online for many things depending on the item's it can be a great benefit instead of going in a department store and standing in line. Some disadvantages I find are with shopping for clothing or shoes, because you don't really know how well they are going to fit if at all and even if they have a return policy then you have to end up shipping the item(s) back.

25. Ozella Decola

Ozella Decola Member

delivery problems
    fraud
    not seeing the actual product

26. shemabosinos

shemabosinos New Member

I have been an online shopper for few years and the disadvantages are quite many, the first time I had a purchase in Amazon I didn't know that my item has already been shipped to my country and city's postal office since I didn't received any notification thru email, I just continuously received a letter notification from the post office for few times but it didn't include that I have a parcel waiting for me to be received since I know that it will be delivered in my home address and not in the post office. So the final notice was sent and so I went to the office to know why they are sending me mails. That's when I know that I my online item was delivered. It took about a month for me to get my item. But may it's just for the international online shops so I really understand. Another disadvantage is the lack of interaction to the item you will be buying for the first time. It happened to me when I bought a dress online. The measurements were available at the site I made my purchase in so I measured my self with the size that is match to me, but when I got my delivery, the dress is much larger and is not fitted to me. Luckily, I was able to have it repaired from a local sewing shop nearby and I get to use my purchased item. But it is sometimes best to buy clothes in boutiques and malls since you'll have an immediate interaction with it and not be hassled by online shopping mistakes. But overall, I still want to continue online shopping since some items especially those that are only available internationally can now be purchased in just a few clicks.

27. Disadvantage in online shopping is you can't test or see what is wrong with the object your buying. One simple answer.

28. Online shopping have created lots of business over centuries. It also helped a lot of people who can't find time to stop by in a shop or transport for the things that they necessarily need or want out of vices or luxury. Nowadays, when I'm too busy and I need a new dress for an event or a meeting. I'll just grab my smartphone and go to my trusted shopping app and shop. Next few days before the said event, I already have my order with no sweat on my forehead and nose. Clearly it has made any one who uses the flat forms life so easy. Yet despite all this innovative and brilliant idea, there are some people who take advantage of this platform in a wrong way and affect legitimate sellers in some way too. For example, receiving the item in the post mail but its not the same quality that what you ordered or not receiving the item at all after paying through your credit card. That's why i am very skeptical to shop online before. Before I engage in online shopping, I use to ask my friends what are the things I need to consider and be skeptical about ordering stuffs online. I find these advice so effective for me and maybe this can help you too before you shop online. One of my friend said, you can make sure that the seller online is 100% legitimate if the review you would see in the comments is good and have trusty comments. Second, wich is my idea. If the online seller enables the comment option in their selling account, then you need to be skeptical in ordering. What you would do is ask if they have a Cash on Delivery Order. If none, then you need to review some more information from them like asking for a social media account or a latest delivery receipt. You can even ask for a buyer's review post info. In this way you are protecting your right as a customer and they will have repeat business in return of their effort.

29. yuzupon

yuzupon Member

There are numerous cons to online shopping. The picture of the product may not look like the actual product being sent. Some sellers also send fraud/fake items or even to the extent of scamming the buyer and sending useless stuff. Also, delivery could pose a huge problem for people living far or abroad. The shipment might take a long time to arrive than the predetermined arrival. The package might get damage without a refund or return. It could also get stuck in customs and one might have to travel and pick the package for whatever reason it was stored in customs and not being sent/shipped. This happened a lot to me. But I would still choose to do online shopping since there are items we could never find in our local stores.

30. veeraveera

veeraveera New Member

Main disadvantages of online shopping:
    -You need to wait for the items to be delivered
    -You cannot be sure about the quality of the product beforehand, and returning the products might not be easy
    -Fraud / Scam sites that steal your money