What are your favourite songs to help calm you down and chill out?

Discussion in 'Music' started by TheCanehdian, Jun 11, 2016.

1. TheCanehdian

TheCanehdian New Member

Mine would have to be anything by Bon Iver, Calgary and Holocene are some of the best songs ever made in my opinion. What about you guys and gals?

2. DeJuan

DeJuan New Member

Songs to calm and mellow you out are always needed. Also, it’s best to have multiple songs that aren’t all from the same genre. Here are a few songs I tend to like to mellow out to. You might know some or you may look them up and like them. There’s “Minus The Bear - White Mystery, The Weekend - The Morning, Curren$y - 100 Spokes, Gorillaz - Tomorrow Comes Today, Wiz Khalifa - The Race, Paul Hardcastle – Desire, and of course Bone Thugs N Harmony – It’s All Mo Thug”. Those are some that come to mind first, but you get the idea.

3. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member

These songs might betray my lack of relative youth to some extent but I was a big fan of the 70s-80s ballads. Some of my favorites were "Wayward Son" by Kansas, "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey, "More Than a Feeling" by Boston and "Africa" by Toto. A very eclectic mix to be sure but one that has provided many hours of relaxation over the years.

4. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to Pink Floyd to get into a Zen-like state. Also, in addition to the list of favorites I listed earlier, you certainly can't go wrong with Tom Petty or Steve Winwood. 'Stairway to Heaven' by Led Zeppelin will always be a great song to let the day's troubles drift away.

5. Asela Haynes

Asela Haynes New Member

Songs that calm me are usually anything by Death Cab For Cutie, Bright Eyes, Bon Iver or Daughter. Admittedly though, those artists can be depressing, but it's their melody and voice range that really chills me out. Most times, I don't even register the lyrics. Or the band will have a non instrumental song. For example, the band Daughter, has a song with only instruments and a soft, vocalized "ooohh" and "ahh" every now and then. Other than that, it's just an accordion, harmonium, and bells. It reminds me of Christmas day as a kid. All innocent and calm feeling. Check it out, it's called Switzerland,

6. MiguelASpain

MiguelASpain New Member

Some of my favorite pieces of music for just mellowing out or chilling (without also being depressing) are DJ Shadow's album Endtroducting..., Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Can's Future Days, Erik Satie's Gymnopédies and pretty much anything by the Celtic musician Alan Stivell.
    I must heartily recommend Alan Stivell to anybody who has even a slight interest in Celtic music. Some of his earlier stuff is definitely more on the rock fusion side, but his later stuff tends to be more folk based. Either way there's almost certainly something in his catalog you'd like if you're into the world music scene.

7. Jekaterina Maslova

Jekaterina Maslova New Member

For years now when I feel mellow I have listened to the band Daughter. The vocals are soothing, the acoustic sound just fits in perfectly and the lyrics are mostly sad. They recently released a new album and I really enjoy the song Doing the Right Thing.

8. sergiobhansen

sergiobhansen New Member

Among many genres that I like, including arabian, oriental, prehispanic and indian traditional sounds, I prefer the medieval English music, Enya, the celtic harp, melodies almost forgotten of Santo and Johnny Farina, the big bands music, songs Blues and Spanish guitar, even those old and agressive but nostalgic rock hits.