What are your thoughts on the Paleo Diet?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bairesgirl, May 7, 2017.

1. bairesgirl

bairesgirl New Member

Hello everyone!!!
    I used to do the Paleo diet before I got pregnant and now that my baby is almost 2 months old, I had decided it is about time I start eating healthy again and shed the extra pounds that pregnancy and then some anxiety while my baby was at the NICU for a couple weeks has given me...
    I would like to hear your thoughts on the Paleo diet, I had amazing results with it in the past but I know there are different opinions out there.
    Have you ever tried eating paleo? if so, How did it workout for you? if not, what other diet or " lifestyle" worked for you?
    Thanks for reading my post and feel free to share what kind of nutrition plan worked for you better!

Leslie

2. laurie98

laurie98 New Member

Hi Leslie,
    The only diet that worked for me was going vegan. Before you start to panic, let me tell you, if properly planned, vegan diets are optimal for all stages of life, from in utero till elderly. This is what The American Dietetic Association has said. The World Health Organization has classified all processed meats as a Class 1 Carcinogen. Not to mention that animal products have been linked to quite a few of our diseases. You can get all your nutrients on a plant-based diet except B-12. But animals don't have B-12 in their bodies naturally anyway, their food is supplemented with it or they're given B-12 shots. You'd be better off just taking a supplement. Whatever you decide to do, good luck on your weight loss journey and congrats on having a baby.

3. TheDiscerningGranny

TheDiscerningGranny New Member

I'm currently doing Whole30, which is very similar to Paleo. For 30 days I am eliminating all sugars, even natural ones and sweeteners, grains, dairy and legumes. It's vegetables, meat, eggs, fruit and nuts except peanuts. I prepared a bunch of crockpot freezer meals for dinners and I just stick them in the crock pot in the morning so it's done for dinner. The hardest part for me is no creamer or sweetener in my coffee. I'm using unsweetened Almond milk, though. The 30 days acts like a food detox that gets all processed food out of your system. After the 30 days you slowly add in dairy, grains and legumes one at a time to see how your body reacts to them. This is supposed to help you identify what foods give you problems. I'm not having a hard time with it and the meals are actually quite good. I even made homemade ghee!

4. Zachary Hadley

Zachary Hadley New Member

I think that a very convincing argument could be made for following the Paleo diet, but one caveat is that the animal products that you consume should be grass fed, organic, free range, and healthy! The basic premise of this diet (that the human body is still essentially ancient and can't handle much of the modern "food" that we feed it) seems to make a lot of sense.

Evidence is increasingly showing that processed sugars and carbohydrates promote obesity and a whole host of other problems. Our bodies simply were not made to eat all of the junk that is in the typical western diet, and it is making us very sick! The Paleo diet also allows a lot of fat, and therefore seems counter intuitive for most people. The key is that you are eating plenty of healthy fats, and not processed ones.

Overall, I think the Paleo diet is a good one, but one should make sure that their fats and proteins are from quality sources.

5. Ariada2013

Ariada2013 New Member

I love the Paleo diet. It was very effective for losing weight, but I also love all of the recipes. Everyone I have tried has been really delicious. The have been super filling too. My problem is that I get very snacky during the day, and eating these recipes keeps me full during the day. I was nervous at first that there would not be enough variety, but I have found it to be the exact opposite. The recipes are also good for my whole family. I have two young daughters that happen to love meat, so accommodating for the them has been very easy. Even if I do not follow the Paleo diet strictly, I will continue to use the healthy recipes and a few of the pointers I have picked up from it.

6. Anna Kowalski

Anna Kowalski New Member

I believe going Paleo, especially as a guideline for eating healthier, is a great diet. And I don't necessarily like the term "diet", because that automatically tells your brain that you "can't" have something. It has to become a way of life. I've seen numerous podcasts and read multiple blogs and articles written by professional health care providers and fitness instructors with information backing up research done on this diet plan. Studies have shown your brain is made up of fat, good fats, such as Omega 3's found in nuts, fish and avocados. As is with any diet, research, research, research. What may work for some may not work for you. I can only speak from my experiences and friend and family's experiences and our success in losing weight and becoming healthier by participating in this diet plan.

7. sspi

sspi New Member

I think that the Paleo diet is way too difficult to retain for a prolonged period. I agree that it revolves around healthy eating, but it is too bland! I would definitely not be able to stick to it. I would rather opt for some other diet such as the Atkins diet or a Mediterranean diet.

8. nietzsche

nietzsche New Member

One of our clients offer meal subscription and one of the choices is paleo diet. I got intrigued and tried it. I'm confident that it is much healthier for us than all the processed foods we have introduced to our bodies over the last couple thousand years. We, as humans, were not built for processed food, just look at the obesity and cancer rates which significantly increase and are now higher than they have ever been at the moment, like what Zachary said above. I think, the biggest mistake people make while on paleo is not eating enough. The paleo diet will be lower in carbs, since fruits and vegetables are not calorie dense therefore, we need to compensate for this loss of calories by eating more protein and healthy fats. Most people fail on the fats, as they get a bad reputation, when in reality they are vital for hormone production. We can get healthy fats from walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, etc.

9. Ephedrine

Ephedrine New Member

When it comes to the Paleo diet — which is based on eliminating grains and legumes due to their phytic acid content — it’s more of a lifestyle choice to focus on eating quality foods that support digestive health . Most dairy products are also off limits on the Paleo diet because they contain lactose, which is hard for most people to digest (although some people do include ghee or grass-fed butter).

By removing the most difficult foods to digest, the Paleo diet can be therapeutic for gut health, autoimmune conditions, blood sugar balance, and weight loss.