What catches your ear the most?

Discussion in 'Music' started by mghica035, Aug 29, 2019.

1. mghica035

mghica035 New Member

Personally, I'm not of the opinion that there is no objective value to be judged in music, or art in general. For sure there are some things which transcend personal taste, and can be recognized as giving a piece of music validity and quality. Things such as, how the composer is aware of the instruments they use, and how those can function together; how they are searching to give the listener something unique and not just a rehashing of popular elements already proven to work; their dedication to make the sound coherent, full, constantly interesting, and many others, are things that really can be argued and discerned as giving one piece of music more artistic value than another. Yet, even among those elements that can be clearly discerned as competent songwriting, some of them will pop up faster to one person's ear than another. Either one or the other, when it shows up, will make me, or you, or someone else go, "Wow, now this is getting real. I need more!"
    So, usually when I like a place or a group for music discussion, I like to ask people what elements are those for them. Basically, which ones jump on your ear first and grab your interest when listening to a new artist or record?
    To me, it is the texture of the music. Something a bit hard to explain, but just how the different timbers coming together create both a sense of space and fullness, and the way they interact shows up a really tactile quality. When I feel this type of connection, I honestly forget about genre, or if the lyrics and the universe of the song are something I can relate to or not. It just sets me in the zone right away, and most of the time I spend looking for new things to listen, this is what I'm hunting down.
    What about you?

2. Osayiogbebor

Osayiogbebor New Member

Nothing like some trap music to feel a little vibe of the streets, not everyone might like this type of genre of music but it is very appreciated where I'm from.

1 person likes this.
  3. Osayiogbebor

Osayiogbebor New Member

I used to like a lot of Rock but that's just too loud for me now that I'm much more older. I don't want anyone beefing on my decision lol

1 person likes this.
  4. Osayiogbebor

Osayiogbebor New Member

There's a lot of Afro and Jazz being appreciated in Africa, I mean banging!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. aprilmonedero11

aprilmonedero11 New Member

Oh well! I love Latin,Pop,Jazz,Blues,Rnb. I don't have a favorite.It depends on my mood and day.
    But Latin is my favorite,I just love listening and dancing to it. I feel like,when I start playing it,my day will be productive and it's contagious.

6. yetyet

yetyet Member

There's no such specific genre that I like when it comes to music. What catches first my attention is the beat of the music, yes that's what I noticed to myself. Every time I hear a music especially when they are new to my ears I don't mind it's lyrics and sometime I was just shocked when I knew that it's a sad song or song for brokenhearted people. Well I really don't care about for whom is that music, what's important to me is like its beat, it catches my attention and help me enjoy and relax when I listen to it. Oh well, music is life so be it.

7. Orochimagaara

Orochimagaara New Member

Some funk with a pure clean Stratocaster with the neck pickup or a pure clean Telecaster with bridge pickup :D

Damn, sweet sound :D

8. Lasheen123

Lasheen123 Member

The first thing catches my ear is the beat, if I like it I continue listening to the song or that piece of music. However the melody itself also could catch my ears and could be an important factor in whether I would listen to this song again or not.

9. RyanIsTrying

RyanIsTrying New Member

Nice guitar intros and meaningful/ deep lyrics definitely catch my ear the most.

10. KMG666

KMG666 New Member

I'm a metal head by heart so anything metal would suffice but my ears tends to listen to Complicated music dynamics such as Progressive metal and Jazz musics, I don't about it but I think it's a good exercise for our brains because it has to work hard to process all that odd time signatures and timings of that kind of music.