What Do You Do To Help Our Environment?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by QueenMab, Aug 25, 2018.

1. QueenMab

QueenMab New Member

It's no secret that our planet is caught in a constant struggle with the somewhat destructive tendencies of humans. Centuries of unsustainable practices have had detrimental effects on our air and water, and global temperatures have, as a general rule, risen from where they should be. My question is, how do each of you combat any negative footprint you may leave? It doesn't have to be anything major or drastic, like chaining yourself to a tree in the rainforest to stop a logger. One of the easiest everyday things I do is recycle those goods that my city accepts. This includes glass, metal, plastic, and paper products. I know that not every city has a large recycling system, but it's still important to see these materials get a second life rather than filling up a landfill. A weekly or monthly trip to a center that accepts these goods for recycling could make a great difference in how much trash ends up in landfills. Another good way to help is picking up trash from areas, especially beaches or the banks of creeks and rivers. This helps divert waste to more proper facilities for processing and keeps trash from being consumed by wildlife that may be harmed by it. What steps have you taken?

1 person likes this.
  2. dumi.scarevnea

dumi.scarevnea New Member

Our environment needs help. It is an well-known information but most of the people don't know how to help the environment. Firstly, we should behave with our environment like with a beloved person: love, respect and protect. Secondly, we should teach others how to do the same. That's way we will help not only environment but also humanity to prosper. What is your opinion?

1 person likes this.
  3. boogie030

boogie030 New Member

Taking steps to conserve and reuse is one of the best things you can do to help save the environment, and it is easier than you might think. Start small and do your part just by changing your daily habits. To help save the environment, try decreasing energy and water consumption, changing your eating and transportation habits to conserve natural resources, and reducing, reusing, and recycling to be more environmentally friendly. Once you've made your own lifestyle more environmentally conscious, you can also engage in activism to help educate others on doing the same.

Use reusable items whenever possible to limit the trash in landfills. While disposable items are super convenient, anything made to only use one time and throw away should be avoided. Not only do they create more environmental waste, they end up costing you more money in the long run. Always use your own reusable shopping bags instead of the plastic bags provided by the store. It may mean more clean up, but try using your regular cups, plates, and utensils at your next birthday party or event. Most tap water in developed countries is safe to drink, which means that buying bottled water is unnecessary. Buy a glass or metal bottle and fill it with water. Next time you need batteries, get rechargeable ones instead of disposable. Most batteries can now be thrown out with the regular trash, thanks to a reduction in chemical use however, they still take up space in landfills. If you're menstruating, consider using a reusable menstrual cup, such as the Diva Cup, rather than pads and tampons. These cups are easy to insert inside your vagina, just like a tampon, where they collect your menstrual fluids for hours at a time.

1 person likes this.
  4. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Going green is easier than you think. There are little things you can do every day to help reduce greenhouse gases and make a less harmful impact on the environment. Taking care of the Earth is not just a responsibility -- it's a privilege. In that spirit, HowStuffWorks came up with 10 things you can do to help save the Earth.

1 person likes this.
  5. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Pay attention to how you use water. The little things can make a big difference. Every time you turn off the water while you're brushing your teeth, you're doing something good. Got a leaky toilet? You might be wasting 200 gallons (757 liters) of water a day [source: EPA]. Try drinking tap water instead of bottled water, so you aren't wasting all that packaging as well. Wash your clothes in cold water when you can.

1 person likes this.
  6. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Leave your car at home. If you can stay off the road just two days a week, you'll reduce greenhouse gas emissions by an average of 1,590 pounds (721 kilograms) per year [source: EPA]. Combine your errands -- hit the post office, grocery store and shoe repair place in one trip. It will save you gas and time.

1 person likes this.
  7. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Recycle.You can help reduce pollution just by putting that soda can in a different bin. If you're trying to choose between two products, pick the one with the least packaging. If an office building of 7,000 workers recycled all of its office paper waste for a year, it would be the equivalent of taking almost 400 cars off the road

1 person likes this.
  8. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Compost. Think about how much trash you make in a year. Reducing the amount of solid waste you produce in a year means taking up less space in landfills, so your tax dollars can work somewhere else. Plus, compost makes a great natural fertilizer. Composting is easier than you think.

1 person likes this.
  9. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Change your light bulbs. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) last 10 times longer than a standard bulb and use at least two-thirds less energy. If you're shopping for new appliances or even home electronics, look for ENERGY STAR products, which have met EPA and U.S. Department of Energy guidelines for energy efficiency. As of December 2013, ENERGY STAR had helped families and businesses to save an estimated $295 billion on utility bills and prevented more than 2.3 billion tons (2.1 billion metric tons) of greenhouse gas emissions from being released over the past two decades [source: ENERGY STAR]. (Learn more about proper disposal of CFLs

1 person likes this.
  10. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Make your home more energy efficient (and save money). Clean your air filters so your system doesn't have to work overtime. Get a programmable thermostat so you aren't wasting energy when you aren't home. When you go to bed, reduce the thermostat setting -- you won't miss those extra degrees of heat or air conditioning while you're asleep.

1 person likes this.
  11. arianab521

arianab521 New Member

I do the smaller things. Reduce, reuse, recycle. I recycle like a crazy person. I also use reusable totes but I have a bad habbit of only bringing them grocery shopping but not thinking to take them into other big stores like Target or Walmart. I'm trying to cut down on my plastic bags and also return them to the grocery stores. I don't throw things like batteries or light bulbs out. I don't flush medications (bad for the ocean). I try to donate all my old clothing (except for undergarments), and other miscellaneous things I no longer need rather than throwing them out. I use reusable water bottles. I'm still a work in progress because I know there's more changes I can make but at least I'm aware.

1 person likes this.
  12. justfrederick

justfrederick New Member

There are really a lot of things that we can do to help our environment, but it would actually start within ourselves. Before we do something, we should ask ourselves if it would help or ruin the environment. It could be something like throwing anything out or using chemicals for something else. I actively participate in our city's advocate to help the environment by separating biodegradable and non-biodegradable trash and throwing them out on the right place; using ecosystem friendly bags when shopping; and using water and electricity wisely.

1 person likes this.
  13. naililmuna

naililmuna New Member

The most important thing to do to help our environment is: stop buying things just because they're available on the market. We should sort out the most important and qualify things to buy. Don't buy just because there're huge discounts. These small actions to buy or not to buy will lead to butterfly wings effects to our global and local supply chain. Buy things because it's cheap will lead to wrong massage that there was huge demand on certain product, within certain price range. This will lead producers to force themselves to make the product, could end up in natural and human resources exploitation. Think that every single item has its carbon trace: any energy had been used to make it, transport it, distribute it, promote it and house it. So please make sure, all carbon trace instilled in every product we buy is worth every penny. Make use to the most, every item belong to us. Again, please don't buy things JUST because they're available. Moreover, for especially for me, never buy things just because we thought that we can recycle them later. Intriguing? maybe. But it's my most point to help our environment.

1 person likes this.
  14. jocelyn_v

jocelyn_v New Member

What i do is i inform people and tell them the effects to earth if we do not take care of our nature. Because I know that informing people is the best way to help our environment. So people know the effects of the bad things that they are doing and they can change it. If we do something but someone is reversing what we do then what we are doing is nonsense. Along with that is I decrease my usage of plastic, segregate my garbage and put it in the right place. I do recycle everything that I know is recyclable.

1 person likes this.
  15. JSPL1000

JSPL1000 New Member

Save gas by using your car less. I can use my bicycle or just simply walk. In this way, I can save more money and at the same time enjoy my physical exercise. If a car really necessary for mid to long travel, then I can consider car-pooling with family or friends. This is lesser evil than 2 to 3 cars with single passengers consuming a lot of fuel.

16. JSPL1000

JSPL1000 New Member

We can help by growing our food at home. If we plant food locally we can decrease our dependence from food full of pesticides and preservatives. Growing organic food at home reduces use of pesticides and chemicals which are harmful to the global ecosystem. On top of this, growing plants or gardening at home is therapeutic and relieves one from stress.

Here are a few suggestions which can be planted at home with minimal care and through regrowing.
    1. Ginger roots.
    2. Water spinach.
    3. Camote tops.
    4. Onion leeks.
    5. Spring onion.

17. ZSDayag

ZSDayag Member

Adopt the Zero-Waste Lifestyle little by little. Start from the 5R's which is Refuse, Reduce, Reuse/ Repair, Recycle and Rot. And you can also join a support group on Facebook so you could learn more, not just about the Zero-Waste Lifestyle, but you could also join their programs to help the environment such as Ocean or River Cleanup Drive, etc.

1 person likes this.
  18. jinnprixx

jinnprixx Member

There a lot thing we can do to help in our environment, but first we must discipline. Even in small way can help a lot in helping our environment. But the really problem we don't have discipline, we don't care. We know what the right to do but most the time we didn't care.

19. newlife

newlife New Member

My husband and I are always mindful when we use the water and electricity at home . We kept a big plastic container and placed gray water from laundry to clean the garage , dog cage , and water some of my sturdy plants . We even use the container to tap rain water . We observe " one person , one light lit " in which we switch on the light when someone is using a room and switch it off when not in use. We gave up using venetian blinds to let natural light gets in our home. Setting simple house rules and the willingness of each member of the family to participate will really keep out planet safe.