What foods did you hate as a child, that you love now?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Natalyatarasenkova, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Viv

Viv New Member

You could never have gotten me to eat breadfruit, lettuce, carrots, or cucumbers. Now...it's like I prefer these things to the fast foods. I have grown to become so much more health-conscious than in prior days. Your health is your wealth. If I could have force my kids to eat these foods, I would have; but I had to relate to their preference and so I stopped bothering them.

2. beanieman

beanieman Guest

Eggs: bleck! My mother would fry up a nice, big, carcinogenic non-stick pan of bacon and then crack the eggs into the same pan. There, they would sputter and solidify in a lake of molten bacon lava, as my mother basted the yolks with spoonfuls of grease. The whites lost all their white and came out slick, rubbery and brownish. If the eggs wound up scrambled, the look was even more unappetizing. A sleepover when I was eight years old revealed to me how yellow and fluffy scrambled eggs could be. The family doused them in ketchup, which created somewhat gory scenarios on the Corningware, but I discovered the pleasure of those little yellow, soft spongy balls of egg. "Breakfast for Dinner" is common mealtime theme here in our house. These days, I spin the pepper grinder with vigor and let the cracked black pepper rain down upon my always sunny yellow, yellow eggs.

3. wakeUp

wakeUp New Member

I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same way about mushrooms until I had mushroom pizza in my teens. Then it all changed.

4. As a child, my mind was more inclined to favor texture over taste. In particular, I would experiment with the way things felt in my mouth and then tasted separately, as opposed to how they contributed to the taste of the whole dish. That was never the object for me. This brought me to dislike most vegetables, particularly onions, tomatoes, and mushroom. The textures were spongy and I couldn't bring myself to eating most veggies on their own.

There comes a point in a child's life, however, when he finally sits down at a table with grownups and realizes he has to eat like one. That is the point where you decide to take a bite of whatever is on the plate and put forth your best effort to polish it off, lest insult your hosts or embarrass your parents. Or worse even, embarrass yourself in front of the other kids at the table. So you take in your first bite and you chew. Inevitably you wind up tasting all the flavors. Then in the next morsel you figure out why your hosts are joyously feeding you their signature dish: it is delicious, tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushroom, and all that yuckyness included. Eureka.

Then, to top it off, the defining moment really comes the moment you have to cook for yourself. Inevitably you will realize that all those hated veggies are the harbingers of flavor! Without them, foods you take for granted simply taste like nothing. At that point, it's bring on the onions, the tomatoes, the peppers, the mushrooms and more. You will throw in the kitchen sink to find the right combination to give you that flavor you crave. Your food aversion is finally over. Except for that occasional artichoke or eggplant....still no flavor and all yucky texture. Eeeeew! We will always be finicky eaters with preferences. That's just human nature.

5. Sunshinegurl

Sunshinegurl New Member

Broccoli was one of the foods that I despised as a child but as I got older I acquired the taste and just love it now. Even my children love broccoli now:)

6. plasticponies

plasticponies New Member

SPINACH.
    Learning to love broccoli seems to be a universal human experience :)

7. AnaLara

AnaLara New Member

My whole life I've been a big eater. But never the less, I hated beetroot. Now I can't get enough of it. Beetroot is actually one of my favorite vegetables now. I've always loved potatoes but i started to dislike them a few months ago. now i can barely stand them

8. ablock0914

ablock0914 New Member

I was a very picky eater as a child and I still am very picky. One thing I remember hating as a child was pizza. I have no idea why I didn't like it but for some reason I would not eat it. When I got a little older I tried it and loved it and now it's one of my favorites.

9. jgautreaux

jgautreaux New Member

I hated liver and this past summer my grandpa made me try some again and I loved it. Now I eat liver with onions every month. I think it all depends on how the liver is cooked.

10. Janalowitz

Janalowitz New Member

Believe it or not, when I was younger I was not a big fan of pizza. But now I absolutely love it! (Maybe it came with being a teenager. Teens and pizza seem to be a package deal.)
    Sad but true fact: I do not like chocolate, and unfortunately I don't think I ever will. (Oh, how I wish I liked it though! It looks so delicious, but it just doesn't taste good to my tongue. Oh well.)

11. Hannah Dowrey

Hannah Dowrey New Member

I could not stand spaghetti, milk or carrots. Now I love all 3 and eat them quite often. I think it is funny how our taste preferences change overtime!

12. Lassilsa

Lassilsa New Member

I hated tomatoes, carrots, roast beef, fish (especially perch and catfish), oranges, raspberries, the list goes on. Now, I love nearly all of those foods. I still don't like catfish and oranges.

13. Angela Aguilar

Angela Aguilar New Member

When I was a kid I hated mushrooms. It wasn't until my twenties until I started to enjoy them. A friend of the family would always bring her sauteed mushrooms to our dinner gatherings and I couldn't stop eating them. My husband still makes fun of me. Teasing me about eating mushrooms when I so hated them before. Now I cook the sauteed mushrooms with lots of butter and garlic, YUM.
    One day I didn't have fresh mushrooms and used canned ones instead. My daughter complained that something didn't taste right with the mushrooms and I told her they came from a can. Then I realized why I hated mushrooms as a kid, my mom always cooked with canned mushrooms. YUCK.

14. Mary Eloise

Mary Eloise New Member

Oh I hated moringa with a passion when I was a kid. My Mom said I would vomit at the smell of its boiled leaves. Now that I'm a breastfeeding mom who knows the wonders of moringa to breastmilk production, I try to put moringa in almost all of our dishes! I even bought moringa capsules just to be sure I have my daily dose.

15. zweetieh

zweetieh New Member

I was an incredibly picky eater, I didn't like beans, vegetables or many meat types. I used to refuse to eat tomatoes because of the seeds in them:). Now I've made up for all my picky eating times and I eat almost everything. My kids aren't very picky, I'm very grateful for that.

16. Brianna Jay

Brianna Jay New Member

I was a very picky eater as a kid. I especially didn't like vegetables. As an adult, I've learned to love foods like spinach, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, zucchini, avocados, squash, and tomatoes. I hated all of that stuff when I was younger. The funny part is, I wouldn't even try it as a kid. How can you not like something if you've never tried it? I guess I just started trying these things one day and decided they weren't so bad after all.

17. alowe18

alowe18 New Member

As a child, I "disliked" chocolate. I know this may be unbelievable to some, but it is very true. When I was a baby, my parents were convinced, after a series of allergy tests, that I was allergic to chocolate. I grew up eating a chocolate alternative known as carob. I never knew what true chocolate tasted like and therefore shunned the treat until I was much older. I was a teenager when a family member inadvertently gave me true chocolate instead of carob. I immediately tasted a difference and realized what I had been missing all those years. I was retested and it was determined that, if I ever had an allergy to chocolate, I had outgrew it. Now, I am a chocolate fiend. I eat it all the time, in any form possible. I am definitely happy that overcame my childhood "dislike" of chocolate.

18. katyb

katyb New Member

I was a really picky eater as a teenager. I went through phases of not liking things like tomatoes, onions, butter, mushrooms and cream. I stopped being so picky when I went travelling before I went to University. It was a case of eat things I wasn't too sure about, or starve. I became quite adventurous with food and now I will eat pretty much anything, apart from coleslaw, I can't stand the smell of it.

Weirdly, the thing I always loved as a kid was Brussels sprouts. My Gran used to call them "Dolly's Cabbages" which made them seem very exciting.

19. Angela Aguilar

Angela Aguilar New Member

When I was a kid I hated mushrooms. It wasn't until my twenties until I started to enjoy them. A friend of the family would always bring her sauteed mushrooms to our dinner gatherings and I couldn't stop eating them. My husband still makes fun of me. Teasing me about eating mushrooms when I so hated them before. Now I cook the sauteed mushrooms with lots of butter and garlic, YUM.
    One day I didn't have fresh mushrooms and used canned ones instead. My daughter complained that something didn't taste right with the mushrooms and I told her they came from a can. Then I realized why I hated mushrooms as a kid, my mom always cooked with canned mushrooms. YUCK.

20. ursell

ursell New Member

I never like to eat peas and beans. I still don't like peas but I do like beans especially red beans I like the
    way my mother cooks them. They are very good now and good for you.

21. sandstorm543

sandstorm543 New Member

This may sound strange, but as a child I hated plain pizza. I always insisted on eating white pizza with no red sauce. Of course, I got over that stage eventually, and I now love plain pizza, and don't like white pizza. It's funny how tastes change over the years!

22. Where do I start? I was a very picky eater as a child. I disliked all seafood. I also disliked almost anything boiled, regardless of what it was. I think I was a typical child shown on north american TV that only likes pizza, burgers, fries, pop, fried chicken, potatoes and white bread. I do remember how my eating habits started to change. Especially memorable was a family trip to France for my uncles wedding. I tried everything served there including rabbit, sea urchin, livers, deer, and other weird things.. The experience changed me. Nowadays, I couldn't live without seafood. As a matter of fact I am snacking on roasted seaweed!

23. mand1

mand1 New Member

When I was a child I hated olives. I would cringe, gag and spit them if I ate even the smallest bit. Now I love them. I am not sure when it changed, how or why. But I could put them on everything now or eat them straight out of the jar. It's funny how your tastes change over time.

24. laby

laby New Member

I wouldn't eat coconut or pineapple as a child but I love them both now. I also wouldn't eat peas, I still won't unless they are fresh or frozen. I can't stand canned peas.

25. Angelus Mwas

Angelus Mwas New Member

Vegetables. They formed a part of my meal and were ever present at all meals. This meant taking more of vegetables and very little of chocolates. My passion for them decreased day in day out until i couldn't stomach them no more. This went on until i came across an article explaining the benefits of having vegetables in your meal. Later on I met a relative of mine suffering from diabetes who made me see the sense of keeping off junk food. A couple of weeks later I attended a "Healthy Eating Workshop" that made me take a U-turn on vegetables. Today I sometimes even have a blend of vegetables for my supper and find it healthy.

26. Wiseone.search

Wiseone.search New Member

As a child I did not like fried fish. Over the years I gradually began to gain a taste for it and it eventually came to be one of my favorite foods.

27. cbean

cbean New Member

I seriously hated peanut butter as a kid, but I love it now! (The chunkier the better!) I'm not sure why I hated it so much, but the smell would just drive me crazy. I remember my dad loved it and used to open the jar and go "mmmm, smells so good!!" and try to get me to smell it and I would run away, haha. :) I actually love a chunky peanut butter sandwich on 12-grain bread now, mm mm so good.

28. SofieB529

SofieB529 New Member

Theres quite a few of foods I avoided as a child that I now whole heartedly embrace! Like spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, beets and olives! Sorry Mom!

29. Avilio Munoz

Avilio Munoz New Member

Oh, I hated vegetable soup, They would serve it for lunch as a starter but I would always end up eating it last, of not at all. I would delay eating until the end. Now, I love a good soup, how ironic!

30. autograph

autograph New Member

During my childhood, I almost never ate any broccoli and fruits. I would drink fruit juices, but never eating the fruit. I also always found the vegetables taste to be bitter, especially broccoli. My God, how much I hated broccoli as a child. Nowadays, I am okay with eating it. This may have something to do with our tasted bud being more sensitive when we are younger. As we grow older, our taste bud becomes less sensitive and almost any food will just start to taste the same.