What genre of songs do you like most?

Discussion in 'Music' started by paulcesna, Oct 31, 2018.

1. paulcesna

paulcesna New Member

When I was young, I really love ballads. I'm thrilled every time I hear those melodic parts rise as it reaches to its highest notes. I love listening to Celine Dion, Whitney Huoston and Mariah Carey. But when I get older, I realized that I wasn't gifted with such a high-pitched voice, so I decided to find my own "forte". One day, I heard a wonderful song sung by Michael Buble and I found it much easier to reach its notes, and the groove? It's awesome! Then and there, I started to love jazz music.

How about yours?

2. astraherondale

astraherondale New Member

I've always been in love with romantic ballads. I love how the smooth, rich voice of the soloist glides through the emotionally-charged melody, plus the message of the song never fails to tug on my heartstrings. The combined exquisiteness of the arrangement and the carefully crafted lyrics make for such heartfelt song pieces that give life to the poet in me. I also like how most of the singers in this genre have rich vocal timbres, which is a personal preference of mine.

A close second would be classical/musical theatre. Theatre is an entirely different world as it involves classical training. Flawless runs, riffs, belts, and all-out performances by singers showcasing incredible ranges leave audiences with their jaws on the ground. While ballads are more like poems, theatre songs are exciting storybooks, and I am often mesmerized by the way the story unfolds through these songs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Benvolio

Benvolio New Member

I always gravitated toward complex, drawn out, songs with multiple recurring themes. I grew up fascinated with bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, and King Crimson. Bands which utilized a lot of techniques of classical music in the context of jazz, blues and rock music. This creates a very interesting story-like experience even if very few lyrics are heard. The music is so specifically orchestrated to change and evolve and different moods and hooks come in and out and are reinterpreted in many different ways. The structures are almost visual, like scenes from a film rather than just going back and forth from verse to chorus. In a rather interesting parallel with the previous poster, it does come down to a certain excitement of being mesmerized and taken on a journey of thought and emotion, and clearly I'm not alone in seeking out such traits in music. Only a slightly different context.

4. mike37

mike37 New Member

Many reactions pick ballad.Yes of course,balland have a smooth and clearly deliver the messages througth emotion that easily feels to our heart.
    But aside ballad genre,i turn also goth rock.It is not smooth like a ballad but a little bit such like.A little faster but also have emotion action to send a story by the song.

5. rose61

rose61 New Member

I love gospel music. They offer biblical teachings and Christian truths.Gospel music gives hope not only Christians but also listeners of other faiths.Some gospel songs are designed in form of prayer,a prayer a day keeps the devil away.

6. Kyaseyn

Kyaseyn New Member

I love listening to rock music, screamo, metal, hardcore etc. Whenever I listen to them, I feel like I were the one playing the guitar, hitting the drums and singing the song. Though I listen to different genre, I find rock music special though most people say specially the old ones that it is a music from hell. I don't think it is. It's because since music is a way of expressing our emotions, musicians of rock music are also telling us what the feel. Peace in the World yow! Rock and roll.

7. totoadrian

totoadrian New Member

I honestly don't really know genre wise, since a lot of my music seems to cross genres a lot. I just listen to what I like and don't care about labels. However, I definitely lean more towards rock and associated genres. I tolerate most everything, but only some things I like are actually in my playlists that I actively seek out and listen. Three Days Grace, Black Veil Brides and 3 Doors Down (though I don't listen to this band itself as much, it's here because of the sheer volume of songs) are what I would say are my heaviest hitters, with the vast majority of their music found in my playlists. My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Nickelback, 10 Years, Flyleaf, All Time Low, Sleeping With Sirens, Seether, Evanescence, and Breaking Benjamin are all in there with varying levels from several albums' worth (but not as much in proportion to their total music amount compared to the main three) to about an album and a half worth of songs, and are listened to anywhere from occasionally to almost every time I turn on music. Of Mice And Men, Bring Me The Horizon, Yanni, Trapt, Drowning Pool, Falling In Reverse, Finger Eleven, Styx, Skillet, Green Day, Get Scared, Twenty One Pilots, Gerard Way, and Disney (these being soundtracks from movies) have between two songs to about an album's worth in my playlist, again varying in how much they are played. Staind, Adema, Hinder, Stone Sour, Taylor Swift, Foreigner, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Shinedown, Katy Perry, Florence + The Machine, and The Struts all have one song each, and aren't all that important in my music repertoire collectively. Which artists are played and what "type" of song (sad, upbeat, inspirational, etc) I focus on depends on my mood mostly. Also, as time goes on I tend to drift from older favorites and listen to newer (to me) artists/bands more until a new album is released (if there ever is one), to which I usually obsess over however much of the new music i like for a time. When I start getting tired of my current group of highly played songs I either form a new one, occasionally search for new music by either finding new artists/bands or giving other music from my current lineup another listen to see if my opinion on the song has changed, or just listen to my entire "master playlist" for a while. New music gets added every once in a while, and I listen to far more in the car with my dad due to his liking of everything from Pink Floyd to Bruno Mars to Celine Dion to Metallica. That stuff just isn't in my playlist, though some of it will eventually find its way in there.
    You probably didn't want an in depth look at my listening habits or a list of every band and artist I listen to and the specific amounts from each, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out in describing my music preferences in a few words and not a paragraph like I have to now (otherwise I feel like something's been left out because to be completely honest my memory sucks and I had to go looking through my master playlist to even remember half of these artists/bands).

8. imperialrosmarie

imperialrosmarie New Member

I like pop, and old songs, everytime i hear those song I feel I am able to back in time. All old songs are full of emotion, That I also carried away to the meaning of the song. Sometimes i go along and sing also.

9. Misterme

Misterme New Member

Well over the years i think your taste in music matures ,i like most types of music but i do not like euro pop music its so annoying , the repeating bangs it just frustrates me.I prefer to listen to music form the eighties that was my era , music like Bob Marley and the Queen .Thanks Jordan Durante

10. LukaC

LukaC New Member

While I generally don't mind most genres, except rap, i mostly listen to classical, folk, metal, j-pop, and remixes of soundtracks from Touhou games. Mostly I avoid music with lyrics in a language i can understand, since most popular ones are either dumb, annoying, or boring.