What hardware and features do you look for in a new computer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by hellodjcity, Jan 25, 2019.

?

What are the two main purposes you use your computer for?

1. Work

2. Leisure Entertainment

3. Competitive Gaming

4. Academic

5. Social

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hellodjcity

hellodjcity New Member

I don't play games anymore but I really do enjoy building computers on newegg.com for video production and 3d animation rendering.

Working with such large data sets, I need all the POWER! :)

Here is a list (in the order of importance) of the top 10 hardware and features I'm looking for in my next (dream) PC.

1. I must have a multi-core, threaded, high clock CPU. The higher clock speeds are good for real-time timeline scrubbing in video editors with 4k or higher resolution footage. Multi-core is also good for physics simulation and multiple application threaded workloads. I would only consider an 8core, 16thread CPU with a clock speed of 4GHz.

2. High capacity RAM. I would only consider 32GB for 4k projects and 64GB if I'm doing serious projects involving lots of sourced media (more than simple Youtube production) and doing particle simulation VFX work. I would only consider over 64GB for complex simulations and massive particle simulations involving physics in order to handle such large data sets and not crash - and would consider ECC ram at the point of 64GB or higher for more stability.

3. One or two powerful GPUs. This can be one of the hardest decisions where I often bo back and forth between AMD and Nvidia. Because it all depends on the applications I'm using an what they support and are optimized for. With the new RTX Quadros having the ability to share memory via the NVlink, my eyes have become way bigger than my wallet. I really only would consider GPUs with a minimum of 8GB of VRAM (HBM2 or GDDR6 with error correcting ability). Must be able to handle Dell's absolutely stunning 8k monitor.

4. A great monitor must have accurate color and high resolution. Must be at least 27" to 32" and reproduce Adobe RGB 100% and sRGB 100%. For productivity having a refresh rate of 60hz is fine. Dual monitor setup is preferred but not necessary.

5. Fast M.2 NVMe SSD storage is a must like the M.2 1TB WD Black professional NVMe SSD with writes of 2800MB/s and Reads over 3000MB/s. Fast storage is essential to having absolute fast rendering times and real-time playback. Large capacity storage is important to keep large video files and large cache files for projects, renderings, and simulations. My OS drive needs to be at least 1TB and having a second drive for my working project would be an M.2 2TB NVMe SSD and I would defiantly have an archive 7,200rpm HDD of 8TB-12TB to be a good starting point. Note that the HDD archive would be external so I can just dock new drives, store older ones, and pull and connect them when needed.

6. Cooling is next on the list. I'd get an AIO for the CPU with at least a 280mm RAD to get my clock speeds as high as they can go for saving on that precious rendering time and increased real-time video scrubbing.

7. A case that has good features for cooling, storage, radiators, room enough for the components. I'm a fan of small form factor PC. :)

8. The power supply must be reliable and powerful enough to give the system the headroom for peak performance and have a high power efficiency rating. Because power consumption is an ongoing expense of operation.

9. Expansion any add-on PCI cards or external devices to expand the functionality of the computer for streaming or live capturing, switching live feeds and soundboards.

10. Motherboard selection. why last, to support the needs of the computer. this may affect the speeds of your RAM, # of GPUs, # of storage drives, CPU selection, and connectivity. This is only last more as a check to make sure all the hardware is compatible with each other. The Motherboard is the most important for the parts are nothing by themselves.​

I tried to put this list into an order of most important, but because it's a system and all parts work together it was challenging and hard to say that this component is more important than another.

Like my list, like this post. :D

Here would be my current build list [still under revision]:
    • CPU: Ryzen 7 gen 2 (gen 3 when available) 8c/16t ECC memory supported
    • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62
    • RAM: Supermicro DDR4 2666Hz 64GB of ECC memory 4x16GB
    • GPU1: RTX Quadro 5000 [connected with GPU2 via NVlink]
    • GPU2: RTX Quadro 5000
    • Alt GPU1: AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 8GB 2048-bit HBM2
    • Alt GPU2: AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 8GB 2048-bit HBM2
    • Monitor: [Dual] Acer ET322QK 32” 4K UHD LED Monitor, 3840x2160, 10bit Color, HDR Ready, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort, AMD Freesync
    • M.2: 1TB WD Black M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
    • M.2: 2TB Intel 660p Series M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND
    • External HDD Dock: StarTech.com USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) Single-Bay Dock for 2.5"/3.5"
    • Add-on PCI: Fenvi FV-9260 AC2030 Wireless PCI Express Wi-Fi Adapter, Up to 1730Mbps Data Rates, Dual Band, Bluetooth 5.0!!
    • Add-on PCI: Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt3 Certi [not compatible with Ryzen, but got working by Youtube Level1. official support from Intel is coming...
    • Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 AMD Promontory B350
    • Case: NZXT H500i White
    • Add-on PCI: Avermedia Live gamer 4k Capture Card (for tutorial screen capturing)
    • Accessories: Elgato Stream Deck - Live Content Creation Controller with 15 Customizable LCD Keys
    • Accessories: Ergotron 45-549-026 Lx Dual Stacking Arm Tall Pole - Desk Mount For 2 Lcd Displays - Aluminum, Steel - Polished Aluminum
    • Accessories: Logitech Craft Wireless Keyboard
    • Accessories: Logitech G703 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Gaming Mouse, RGB Lighting, 12,000 dpi
    • Accessories: Logitech Z906 500W 5.1 Speakers
    • Accessories: APC BR1500MS 1500 VA

1 person likes this.
  2. allenrose1424

allenrose1424 New Member

Features to find in a Computer:

1. RAM
    2. Storage (HDD)
    3. Audio and Video Quality
    4. Size of the laptop
    5. LAN, HDMI, USB, & SD CARD hub or connectors
    6. Screen Resolution
    7. Batter or the power supply
    8. Accessories
    9. Cooling system
    10. GPU System
    11. Motherboard

1 person likes this.
  3. jennielyn23

jennielyn23 New Member

Top things I look into a computer:
    • the processor dual core @ 2.4 GHz (i5 or i7 Intel processor or equivalent AMD)
    • RAM - 8GB to 16GB
    • Hard Drive - 256 GB or larger solid state hard drive
    • Operating System - Windows 10 Home or Professional edition
    • Warranty - 3 year warranty - desktop only

1 person likes this.
  4. iwor00

iwor00 New Member

1. RAM
    2. Storage (HDD)
    3. Audio and Video Quality
    4. Size of the laptop
    5. LAN, HDMI, USB, & SD CARD hub or connectors
    6. Screen Resolution
    7. Batter or the power supply
    8. Accessories
    9. Cooling system
    10. GPU System
    11. Motherboard

1 person likes this.
  5. marinnedelev

marinnedelev New Member

I always prioritize the ones that cannot be upgraded. If the device has 4 GB of ram, but supports 16 and has 2 slots it's not an expensive upgrade. Same goes for the hard disc for example.

When buying a PC I focus mostly on processor, motherboard and graphics card.

1 person likes this.
  6. hellodjcity

hellodjcity New Member

I agree with you Marinnedelov, being able to upgrade key components is a must for any computer. ;) Because the way we may use our devices may changeover time and may have a greater demand more RAM and STORAGE speeds, and being able to access and upgrade these options adds great value to the product and should be considered when investing in a new computer.

With a special mention for Thunderbolt 3 being in the rise of interest for many prosumers that are looking into adding external GPUs. This port is becoming a bigger key feature that people are looking for in their next laptop and desktop, not to mention the benefits of the bandwidth and docking capabilities of Thunderbolt 3 are the best at this moment.

The news is that Intel will open Thunderbolt 3 to be used cross-platform with third parties. Which should amazing! But, there is no date on when they may do so.

Imagine having four TB3 ports on an AMD Treadripper with 64pcie lanes and the possibilities for the next-gen Pro Tier Tablets.

Look at the dock Caldigit has made, This is the perfect dock for me. :D
    (thunderbolt station 3 plus)

If you like this post, give it a like! :thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  7. gxdummy01

gxdummy01 New Member

I recently bought a budget Ryzen PC for work and gaming and I would say I am looking forward with the GPU and internal recording. I'm waiting for news regarding NAVI and hopefully its internal recording system for streaming. Bandicam is the software I'm using until I can buy a GPU. Also, low TDP CPUs. I want my system to be power-friendly as electricity costs in our country is too much pricey.

8. omego23

omego23 New Member

Look for the best processor performancelike CPU i7 . And a powerful graphics card and memory of about 16 GB RAM . So help in the design