What is the best way to stop smoking?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Amber Brown, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Imrul103

Imrul103 New Member

To avoid smoking is not so easy. Actually smoking is a habit. This habit does not develop in a day. So avoiding smoking is not a matter of day. First of all u have to determine to avoid it. Sudden withdraw is usually not so easy. So gradual withdraw is needed. Another way to avoid smoking is replacement of smoking to other habits like drinking tea ,coffee and other soft drinks.

2. cjctm11

cjctm11 New Member

I did try to stop smoking and it was successful so I will tell something about how I stop my smoking habit. 1st one is decide when to stop, give yourself some time to stop for about 1 or 2weeks, you can't stop immediately and it will only lead you to more cravings and when your date to stop is about to come just lessen your daily intake of cigarettes. 2nd is how to control your cravings? Avoid the usual things you do while having your cigarette like walking from home to work or while having some coffee, or after a meal, If you felt the needs of cigarette, just grab some candy or gum. Well it was hard at first but you will get used to it and you will be happy in the end.

3. Moldovanu91

Moldovanu91 New Member

To get motivated , You need a powerfull,personal reason to quit. It may be to protect your family from secondhand smoke. Or lower your chance of getting lung cancer, heart disease ,or other condițions. Or to look And feel younger. Choose a reason that îs strong enough to outweigh the urge to light up

4. Moldovanu91

Moldovanu91 New Member

when you stop smoking , nicotine withdrawal may give you headaches, affect your mood,or sap your energy . the craving for just one drag is tough.

5. billeftimoski1

billeftimoski1 New Member

Very gradual process - I strongly recommend finding some sort of supplement which you can temporarily supplant cigarettes with. Black coffee was a no brainer for me because not only did it give me a kick but it also kinda has that ashy, smokey taste. Maybe it's just me? Dunno, in either case your best bet is to find some other non-toxic substance which you can take in spades whenever you feel like a cigarette

6. danok05

danok05 New Member

Quitting the Smoking Habit

In the journal World Smoking & Health, two scientists report that the best way to stop smoking is the “cold turkey” method: quitting abruptly. This is better because when one stops little by little, the agonies of withdrawal are stretched out. The withdrawal problem is said to be the most acute during the first two weeks and especially at about 7 p.m. This induces relapse among many who try to quit little by little. Another advantage of quitting all at once is that there is an easing of withdrawal symptoms in the first few days. This, in turn, makes it easier to hold out until the symptoms have subsided.

7. writemebackrightnow

writemebackrightnow New Member

Hello everybody !

It is well known that the tobacco and the alcohol are addictive. I think tobacco is more addictive than alcohol.
    I started to smoke late, at the age of 34, after my mother's death.
    It is not easy to quit smoking definitively. First time I have stopped smoking for about 8 months, using pills (prescribed by a doctor). I have tried to smoke during the medication but I have felt bad. It has seemed I will not smoke again because I have not felt the need to smoke during the treatment.
    Because of the stress I have started again to smoke.
    The second time I have stopped smoking, without taking pills, but after two months without smoking I have made the mistake to smoke just one cigarette and I restarted to smoke untill now.
    My conclusion is that the pills have helped me a lot. By example, after I have used the pills, I have been not felling the need to light a cigarette when I have been seeing someone smoking.
    After I have stopped smoking, without using pills, I have been felt the need to smoke, wanting to go inside first stote in my way to buy cigarettes.
    So, I restarted to smoke more quickly after I stopped smoking, without taking pills.

Kind regards,

8. alexkt90

alexkt90 New Member

A strong will power.
    Without it, its difficult.No matter what you try. At the end one will end up one atleast.
    So best ways are
    -A strong will
    -a Sponser/buddy/friend who will help you to encourage and stop you.
    -remove stress from mind. it trigger at most to your vulnerability.

9. elai19

elai19 New Member

Definitely if you are a boy you need a girl to stop smoking. and if you are a girl you need a guy. I am a smoker and when i got a partner in life i change my habit and as of now i dont smoke anymore.

10. Sgovies0425

Sgovies0425 New Member

I haven't had much luck quitting. I have an e-cig that works fine when I am at home, but if I leave the house I start craving. I have managed to cut down to a pack a week but cannot seem to make that final push and quit once and for all. I have slowly changed to lights where there are less nicotine or so they say, but I am stuck there. I suppose the next step will be to just use the e-cig, it is just taking a lot of time to get there. I agree with the stress part, I do chainsmoke when I am stressed, and crave less when I am relaxed. But we are all different, so I will keep trying everything

11. Marshawn

Marshawn New Member

In my humble opinion the best way to stop smoking is to do as much research as you can on the negative aspect of what you are doing to your body.Another opinion of mine is to always have a something other than yourself that motivates you to stop.Children can be an example. Etc...

12. markedizon

markedizon New Member

to avoid for me is if you feel like you're going to give in to your tobacco craving, tell yourself that you must first wait 10 more minutes — and then do something to distract yourself for that period of time. Try going to a public, smoke-free zone. These simple tricks may be enough to derail your tobacco craving.

13. tommylacroix

tommylacroix New Member

I have smoked since I was a teenager and quit dozens of times. They say it gets easier every time, but so far I have not been able to permanently rid myself of the habit even though it disgusts me, has impacted my health, and destroyed my family, meaning; my older sister died of lung cancer after smoking for 50 years.

I have tried many of the so-called "cessation" products, vaporizer pens, gum, patches, mints... the problem with these things is they all deliver nicotine into your system and the nicotine is what I am addicted to. Every time I have just wound up going back to the ciggies. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to mankind.

I know people who have taken certain anti-depressants that are supposed to help (they didn't) and others who tried hypnotism (also useless) It seems people will try almost anything... except the only thing you know deep down that is what you have to do to beat the habit.

From talking to people I know who successfully quit for good the only thing that really works is going cold turkey and having lots of will power. Some tips I have been given that seem to make good sense are;

Plan to quit: give yourself a "quit date" a week or two in the future so you have time to mentally prepare for the day you will stop. It also makes you think about every smoke you light up in the mean time. Savor how awful each puff is. It really is gross, isn't it?

Be active: Exercise and activities to take your mind off smoking will help you immensely.

Count your money: put aside the money you would normally spend on smokes each day. Before you know it you will have a pretty nice pile of cash.

Keep plenty of carrots celery sticks and healthy snacks on hand. It helps with the oral cravings.

And remember this: Each "nic fit" or severe nicotine craving only lasts 120 seconds. It' the truth. The craving passes after two minutes. so when you think you cant take it anymore and just have to get a smoke, look at your watch, do 2 minutes of exercise... the craving will pass and your safe for now. Eventually the cravings get further apart and soon enough they wont occur at all.

Anyways, I'm going to kick one day. I believe it. And I believe in you too.

Just do it!

14. hubs

hubs New Member

I smoked for more than 10years and it's difficult to quit, I got sick and that's the time I realized that I will not benefit from it. don't keep a pack of cigar in your pocket and gradually decrease the sticks per day. it will help.

15. shienah24

shienah24 New Member

I may not be a smoker in real life but I want to share something on how my Aunt quit smoking. Way back last year 2018, she was rushed to the hospital because of pneumonia and then the doctor asked if she smokes, and she answered "Yes". That's when the doctor said that being a smoker cause a lot of diseases into your body. It does not only affects your lungs and all your systems. When she was discharged, she minimally stopped smoking and changed her smoking into eating menthol candies. Time after time, her system got used to it and finally she stopped smoking up until last Dec. 13, 2018 because she left us.

16. Uncleclem

Uncleclem New Member

Vaping is a godsend for me, it helped me quit by providing the simulation of smoking while not inhaling any smoke or carcinogens, I know it's not perfect and not vaping at all would be ideal however it is a lot better for you than smoking. Bonus is you don't smell like an ashtray and save a quite substantial amount of money.

17. ittiaz1

ittiaz1 New Member

Some say vaping is the best way to stop smoking, and to be honest, I have seen a lot of people give up that way. Many don't though I'm afraid, like me. However, those that have, they have ended up vaping all the time which isn't helping the lungs. The best way in my opinion is through the medication CHAMPIX. I tried everything, patches, vaping, tablets and it was all a failure. Then I came across champix. 2 tablets a day for the first week, while still smoking!!! By the end of the week I felt kinda nauseous towards smoking. In the second week I picked a day to stop smoking and while taking the medication, I stopped, just like that. The medication course is 12 weeks and through the time I felt absolutely sick of cigarettes and it's been 3 years and smoke free. Best thing I ever took: CHAMPIX

18. kers

kers New Member

I know it's really hard to quit smoking once you already started doing it. But I think the best way to stop yourself from smoking is to indulge yourself in things you love doing. Get yourself busy all the time doing something that you won't even have to think about smoking. It will be hard, I know, but determination is the key. After all, everyone knows that smoking is not good for our health.