What is the common problem of a freelance writing jobs?

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Jobs' started by lyniekepz, Jan 12, 2018.

1. lyniekepz

lyniekepz New Member

The freelance writing is the practice of writing for money, in its simplest state. The freelance writer produce whatever written text is needed by their clientele, generally at home in their own office, for money. For you, what is the common problem of a freelance writing jobs?

1 person likes this.
  2. Noel Angeles

Noel Angeles Active Member

The biggest problem of a Freelance Writer to me is if he accepts an unfamiliar subject. Take it from me
    research won't do the trick, you
    need to have some kind of connection or experience in relation to the given subject or else the output would be cold and lacking.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. tikosi tina

tikosi tina New Member

I think the most common problems freelancers seem to face are:getting enough cash for the work done.You may have plenty of work,but if you can't make it every month of what you make as a freelance writer there might be a problem.In that case it would be recommended to increase your rates if you have been charging to little cash for your work.

4. Bitrate

Bitrate New Member

Well, there is more than one problem of a freelance writing job, almost about 10. Here are some of them:
    - Getting paid well: a writer may put all of his soul and effort into his work and get only money for a bread
    - Time and loneliness: you may have already a soulmate, but definitely less time to spend with him/her and you are probably working from home so this might feel you lonely as well, as we are social creatures and need to work in a team
    - Difficult clients: most of us probably heard that freelancing doesn't require talking to complicated people and dealing with them, but it's not true. The client might keep up adding tasks on to the original project and contact you while you are already in bed or on a holiday
    - No inspiration or creative block: beginners are the one who faces this problem mostly because of their fear to fail and it might even take away their wish of freelance writing

5. AmosM

AmosM New Member

The biggest challenge that freelancers land on is not finding a legitimate online employer.some companies asks for membership fees which will never result to a positive employment.

1 person likes this.
  6. MommyH5

MommyH5 New Member

There are a few issues I run into as a freelance writer. One, being unfamiliar with a required topic. I would have to agree with user Noel Angeles, if you accept a job you're unsure of how to accomplish, I believe the end result could be a total disaster. Researching an unfamiliar subject will not do the trick. You need to look for jobs in which you have a personal connection or experience in. Another issue I have, personally, run into is a difficult client. Whether you are proud of your work or not, it all comes down to the satisfaction of the client. When I run into this issue, it is generally because the two of us have a different vision of the final product. Communication is key when discussing a job, all aspects of the job should be covered from the get go. Including, but not limited to; word count requirements, pay scale, estimated job length, required elements and key works, verification of business names (websites, links, etc.) and spelling, and additional info. Another example of an issue I have run into is promoting yourself as a Freelance Writer. It is extremely difficult to get your Freelancing career jumpstarted. A few of my simple ideas for promoting your handwork include promoting yourself on socia media, starting a free website to advertise your skills and capabilities with examples, being open to negotiation, and keeping an open line of communication with a positive attitude. To conclude, there are many different challenges and obstacles you run into as a Freelance Writer, but it all depends on your personal level of motivation and determination to succeed.

7. Stacey Wing

Stacey Wing New Member

One of the most common problems of freelance writing jobs is the pay. When you work on Freelance sites most the clients are looking for the cheapest price. It is a good place to start to get your feet wet and if you do a good job the client may hire you on long-term. You could then work out a price that meets your expectations and the clients as long as you continue to perform well after being with them awhile.

However, if you are serious about writing you should look into setting up your own website. There you can showcase your experience and expertise in a variety of topics and platforms such as blogs, forums, etc.

8. charles2reality

charles2reality New Member

The chief problem for clients is finding high-quality and unique content.

The chief problem for freelancers is finding high-quality and high-paying clients who respect their writing!

9. AnukAusar11

AnukAusar11 New Member

The first problem if you'd like to call it a problem is the fierce competition with other freelancers. This makes the value of the work drop as there are other freelancers willing to charge much less than you are quoting. The second problem is related to the first one as you might put your heart and soul into the work but get a lot less than what the work is worth. Again all because of the competition. Another challenge is when you have to take on newer and unfamiliar tasks from your client or employer; this is where you have to be really careful because it is a question of your reputation here. You probably have to do some research but what helps most is that you can connect and flow with the topic in one way or the other if not it will certainly be a disaster and that can really ruin things for you.

The important things are to keep working on yourself and never give up. Constantly updating and upgrading your resume and skill set will certainly keep you relevant in the field you have chosen. Setting up your own blog will surely go a long way to serve you eventually and there's no doubt about that.

10. ianjames25

ianjames25 New Member

The common problem of a freelance writing job is when you're not a native English speaker. Most native English speaking clients prefer writers who are native English speakers for obvious reasons. If by chance a client hires a writer who is not a native English speaker, chances are the budget must be ridiculously low.
    There are free lessons online for non-native English speakers to improve their writing skills but the best thing to show the client that you are capable would be your existing blog. Just make sure that you have carefully proofread all your posts.

11. msjillian

msjillian New Member

Depending on your chosen field, freelancing can be extremely competitive, so it may be tempting to underprice yourself. Especially for those working in first-world countries, competing with the absurdly low prices charged by freelancers from much poorer countries can prove impossible. The one thing most successful freelancers have in common is they have learned not to even enter these types of lowest-bidder free-for-alls. Instead of trying to win jobs by accepting a fraction of your worth, price your services according to your skill level and seek out clients who can afford to pay for quality.

12. Ed_idied

Ed_idied New Member

It would really depend on what type of platform you have applied for or the employer that you are pursuing. Some employers would only want you to write for them on a single instance. As a freelance writer for 1 and a half year, I really see it as one of the main problems with freelance writing. Some problems would be the amount of salary that are sometimes lower than your hourly rate. Still, you need to see this as a challenge rather than a problem if you would really want to see yourself improve.

13. nivek

nivek New Member

Freelancer writer : oh god! Is this project giver an alien or a 1year old kid I don't understand what he talking about!?

Yeah right, almost freelancer writer know this reaction because they experience it by themselves, some project giver has a topic that no one can explain except for geniuses or outer space creatures

Poor freelancer writer

14. Davisho

Davisho Member

the ones that make you bid on the job and then you have to take a test to qualify.

15. bonesmith

bonesmith New Member

For me, it's clients who aren't really sure what they're after, and then communicate poorly when they try to explain it. I'm a writer, not a mind-reader! Competition and earnings can also be tough- I admire the hustle of those who do this full time!

I kinda like the "Projects from Mars" that Nivek talked about. Sometimes the strangest prompts can be the most fun.

16. rustyj

rustyj New Member

I hired 4 writers the other day for the same project just different topics. I suspected it would take at least 2 hours to research and write, but one guy had his completed work to me within 20 minutes. He was furious when I rejected his work and asked for a rewrite because it was so basic on the topic that I could have had my 4th grader wrote it. Another turned in something that really was meaningless and did not provide any new knowledge to the reader, all he did was fill in the word count. But the last 2 did wonderful jobs. I would say like a few above, there are a lot of writers who are just trying to pop out as much as they can in a day instead of investing into the work. That is why I hired 4 to find that 1 good one.

17. Brokewriter

Brokewriter New Member

One of the biggest problems I think freelance writers run into is that they treat this like something you can do in your spare time. A lot of websites say, "write in your spare time", well, no writing is not a hobby. It's a job, you're a business, you're offering a service in exchange for money. The instant you become a freelance writer, you are a business person, get into the mindset of a businessman or woman. Don't go out looking for clients, instead, let them come to you. Take a photographer for instance, do you see a photographer go knocking on people's doors, looking for work? Hell no, they have people come to them. You have to build something that people want to come and look for. You're a business you need to treat like a business. Build an email list, get your work out there for people to see, if someone rejects your work think about what you did wrong so you can fix it. If you know what you're worth then get what you're worth, yes that's a rocky quote but it works, and as for clients guess what there are millions of you guys out there. Anyone can come and ask for a content to be written, not many can actually write the content. That's what I don't like about this whole freelancing game. Clients think that they have all the power just because they're hiring me. No, you're my client, not my employer. If you give me something to write then I'll write it how I want to write it. You don't like it, too bad, bye. I can find work wherever I very well, please. Why, because I'm constantly looking for new clients and I'm constantly building my portfolio. The truly meaningful ones won't wait until you come looking for them. They'll find you. That's how a freelance writer should operate. Tell me I'm wrong.

18. chatcrazy

chatcrazy New Member

One common problem is that owing to the freewheeling nature of freelancing, one might have a tough time switching over from a 9 to 5 office job routine to "no fixed hours". For starters, one can deal with this challenge by setting aside a definitive time-frame for freelancing pursuits, shutting out all distractions as if it were an office job.

And yes, you are right b... writer. One need not go knocking on people's doors. All the same, mechanisms like a mailing list and a portfolio help one reach out to prospective clients though platforms such as freelancing websites, micro job sites and even social networks. One has got to be willing to learn from mistakes, and even from trial and error along the way. That is what makes for growth day after day.

19. Lhits

Lhits Member

• Problem: Too many places to look. ...
    • Solution: Pick only the best sites. ...
    • Problem: Too many applicants. ...
    • Solution: Make sure you stand out. ...
    • Problem: You get no response. ...
    • Solution: Include keywords and use social media.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  20. Teachergeorge

Teachergeorge Member

The common problem is that most freelance websites are still paying little amount of money, secondly, no consistence with daily assignment which can enable one to meet his bills.