What is the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mihail Cristian, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mihail Cristian

Mihail Cristian New Member

I just finished 1984 last night and was wondering what your last book was. I started reading The girl with the dragon tattoo now and it's looking promising so far.

Dani J, traffix and mandy3 like this.
  2. CasimirStone

CasimirStone New Member

The last book I read was The Enemy by Charlie Higson. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have since moved onto the next novel in the series. If you like post-apocalyptic horror, I recommend it! Charlie really holds no punches for the characters in the story. That is probably my favorite part about it.

3. littleJ

littleJ New Member

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider. It was really good. You should read it :)

4. mandy3

mandy3 New Member

The last book that I read is called "Crazy Love" by an author I was so inspired by that I looked up her email and have been conversing with her since devouring the book in a mere few hours, Leslie Morgan Steiner.... Not a soft theme, nor a content to be appreciated or empathized by just anyone, but it certainly struck a chord deep inside of me. She strings her words together artistically and I would recommend this to anyone who has ever been involved or is currently tangled in an abusive (physically or emotionally) or addictive relationship (or a messy combination of both), and feels trapped, ashamed, alone or is housing any other unpleasant and plaguing emotion in lieu of what can feel like a third arm sprouted from somewhere alongside the heart...........

5. mandy3

mandy3 New Member

Mihail Cristian likes this.
  6. Mihail Cristian

Mihail Cristian New Member

Yeah it's definitely not an "enjoyable" book, but it was very interesting and intense in the end. One of the best dystopian novel along with Brave new world by Aldous Huxley.

7. michele2042

michele2042 New Member

Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert. Anyone that was a fan of Little House on the Prairie would enjoy this book about "Half Pint" and her life through filming of Little House and beyond. Learned a great deal about the sweet little innocent girl as she grew up. Great book.

8. Elaine Wang

Elaine Wang New Member

Flowers for Algernon. It's a novel about a mentally disabled man who goes through an operation to change him to an intelligent person. It's quite an interesting read, especially if you're into how the topic of how mentally disabled are treated in society and what smart/dumb means. It's a beautiful story, it made me cry, admittedly.

9. writer9

writer9 New Member

I've just finished American Pastoral by Philip Roth. It's a multi-layered story about the trails of a former small-town golden boy. His anti-war teen daughter goes to extremes, tearing the family apart. The story is largely about how her actions alter her father's paradigms in the most striking ways.

Dani J likes this.
  10. Pauline Reyes

Pauline Reyes New Member

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I wasn't able to read the books when the first movie came out and I got interested after watching Catching Fire. I was interested to find out what was going to happen in Mockingjay and I have to say the ending was disappointing.

JcLaY17 and psjarudji like this.
  11. Manny Perry

Manny Perry New Member

Shortcuts by Carver. I absolutely loved Robert Altman's movie adaptation of it. This was the only time I felt the movie was better than the original book, but it was still enjoyable.

12. Stavros Milonas

Stavros Milonas New Member

The last book I read was “Villa Incognito”, a novel by Tom Robbins that has hilarious moments and involves three American veterans from Vietnam war, a chrysanthemum seed and a Tanuki (Japanese badger).

This book made me fall on the floor laughing, gave me food for thought about politics and other serious matters. It has great descriptions and many weird characters that connect with the main plot perfectly.

The writing approach of this author is always non-linear, and in this particular novel he achieves this in a very spectacular way, that leaves you wanting for more.

Highly recommended are also other books of the same author, like “Still life with Woodpecker”, “Jitterbug perfume” and “Skinny legs and all”.

Dora M likes this.
  13. sld1000

sld1000 New Member

The last book I read was Under the Tuscan Sun, and I didn't even finish it. With a couple of pages to go I completely lost interest.

14. wisesam

wisesam New Member

Just finished 'An astronaut's guide to life' By Chris Hatfield. I have always loved science and space and seeing him really hit up social media whilst he was commander of the ISS was inspiring. I also got to meet him at a book signing. Super nice guy and the book was great. Not the best book I've read about space flight however, that would have to go to 'The Last Man on the Moon: Astronaut Eugene Cernan and America's Race in Space' by Eugene Cernan. Fascinating insight into space pioneers.

15. TheDarthMoogle

TheDarthMoogle New Member

'New Model Army' by Adam Roberts. I hadn't picked up a Roberts book before, but I certainly will be grabbing more in future. This one will unputdownable from the very start. It's a satire on our current Western political systems, projected on the surface of a fictional civil war in the United Kingdom. It's a complex read, and has the potential to drive you mad, but the concepts behind it - those of true democracy and the pseudo system we employ today are easy to spot. This made a change from the spacey sci-fi I casually work my way through. I'm on an Ian Banks Culture binge at the moment.

16. fenalpha

fenalpha New Member

I feel like I should read a little more. I write a lot, but I need to make time for reading. I find myself sitting down to read and then only reading the book halfway through. Then I give up and put the book back on the shelf. Some books I've enjoyed previously are "The Book Thief" and "The Lovely Bones". The book thief is pretty good, definitely something to make you cry.

sophia newman likes this.
  17. elfprincess

elfprincess New Member

I have just finished reading Brick Lane by Monica Ali. It is the story of two sisters from Bangladesh. One ends up in an arranged marriage and moves to London, and the other remains in Bangladesh. The book tells their stories and how they exchange letters. I got the book from my book club, and I had never heard of the author before but I really enjoyed this book, and I am thinking about trying another one of her novels soon.

sophia newman and cayso like this.
  18. wildcat3208

wildcat3208 New Member

The last book I read was The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I had heard so much about the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series but I never gave them a try. About a week ago I started on the first book in the series, finished it quickly, and now I've read the second one. I love the dry humor and references that are made and it has made for a pleasant, relaxing read that I use so that I don't get fatigued over reading a bunch of articles for class. I'll probably start the third book in the series tomorrow.

Rowena Lundquist likes this.
  19. Caffajake

Caffajake New Member

This isn't quite as well-respected as what everyone else is reading (who am I kidding, it's total rubbish) - A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. It's about a witch, Diana, living in a world where vampires, daemons and witches hide their existence from humans. Diana has rejected her witch heritage and works as a historian at Oxford until she accidentally triggers a spell that brings the attention of the entire supernatural world down upon her, not least the attention of ancient vampire Matthew Claremont...

(end dramatic blurb)

The problem with this book is that the setting is fantastic but the plot is not. Harkness sets the book up so well - the main character is immersed in a life of English academia mixed with American witchcraft, struggling to balance the demands of two worlds. The plot begins very promisingly but soon devolves into a really boring Twilight-esque story of her unrealistically fast and intense relationship with her stalker-vampire boyfriend. It has a few inappropriately slow-paced chapters more or less devoted to describing his house in France - I wanted to read about the supernatural creatures chasing her, not a lengthy description of his garden! A really good premise brought down by a sappy love storyline that becomes the main storyline when it should have stayed as a sub-plot. Bah.

(end rant)

20. KWalsh556

KWalsh556 New Member

I am reading through A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin right now. My boyfriend got me hooked on the show Game of Thrones, so I decided to read the series as well. I just finished the third book, A Storm of Swords, and it was incredibly good. If you are a fan of the show, then you should know that the books are so much better. The show is very faithful to the original content, but there is so much you'll be missing out on if you only watch the series. I'm not normally a fan of fantasy, but this series is more historic fiction with fantasy elements. If you like political intrigue, action, historic settings, and epic sagas then you should give these books a try.

21. Ashley Atchison

Ashley Atchison New Member

The last book I finished was Crank by Ellen Hopkins, and it was a masterpiece. All of her work is a masterpiece. I now am working on False Memory by Dean Koontz. I'm almost done with it as well. It's a great book but I'm starting to feel like it's dragging on a little.

22. Juliana

Juliana New Member

It's been a while since I've actually finished a book that isn't a textbook, but I got my Kindle Paperwhite in the mail today and just started reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie! I absolutely love mystery novels, especially ones that involve murder, so this is definitely my thing :D. I actually read this book before, in middle school, and back then, I believe it was called Ten Little Indians. I remember learning that they had to change the title of the book, because it was offensive to Native Americans. I'm loving the book so far!

23. KUnendlichkeit

KUnendlichkeit New Member

I was reading Enders Game and it was great. I think you all know what Enders Game is.

24. tch212000

tch212000 New Member

The last book I finished was called My Lobotomy and it was amazing! It's a book about a man who had a lobotomy while he was a child and it changed his life and effected him as a child and adult. It is crazy what this man had to go through as a child with a wicked stepmom being behind everything he went through. This is a must read and if these type of things intrigue you then I suggest getting a copy of it.

25. sceleratis

sceleratis New Member

I have a serious hard-on for post-apocalyptic zombie literature so one of the last things I read was actually a re-read of World War Z. The movie is atrocious and I refuse to speak of it, but the book, if you have not read it, is absolutely divine. It requires a strong constitution and a stronger stomach, but it is worth every gory page.

26. juliemo711

juliemo711 New Member

I just finished "I hate you don't leave me". A book about borderline personality disorder. I'm now anxiously awaiting my amazon order to ship because I ordered "An Unquiet mind". This one is about bipolar disorder.

27. Luddite5000

Luddite5000 New Member

The last book I finished was Cormack McCarthy's 'Child Of God'. I'm halfway through his much more complex book, Suttree.

28. sshawuk

sshawuk New Member

Just finished "John Dies at the End" by David Wong. This surreal story captured my from page one. A thoroughly enjoyable read, with some real mind-bending ideas and plot twists.

29. Dreamlee

Dreamlee New Member

I just recently finished reading Flowers in the Attic, by V.C. Andrews. I have read it at least two other times, and it gets better every time I read it! The book has a quite a few disturbing scenes, but that is part of what makes it hard to put down. I know a book is good when I can read it over and over again, and not get tired of it. I highly recommend reading Flowers in the Attic.

30. Scott Schroeder

Scott Schroeder New Member

The last book I have read was "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It was wonderful. If you like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory mixed with video games, this book is right up your alley. It was fast paced and I finished it in less than a week. Might have to re-read it again to enjoy the roller coaster ride once more.