What is the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mihail Cristian, Feb 15, 2014.

1. abhiraj

abhiraj New Member

the last book i read was harry potter and the half blood prince.

2. Charredbysin

Charredbysin New Member

I recently finished reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, which is the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles series. I was warned before I began the series that it was an addictive read, but I didn't realize that I'd finish both books so quickly. The third installment in the series is nowhere in sight, but I cannot wait to get my hands on it already.

The best way to describe this book series is that it's a more adult version of Harry Potter. There's a magic school all aspiring magicians attend, and the author spends time detailing class lessons. Overall though, the book has a much more adult theme. It's thoroughly enjoyable!

3. spikerfreelancer

spikerfreelancer New Member

• The last book I read was "Temple of the Winds", by Terry Goodkind, the fourth book out of fourteen in The Sword of Truth series. I series I highly recommend. If you'd like to read it, the first book is " Wizards First Rule". I personally would recommend you start with this book and not the prequel, " Debt of Bones".

4. KRDG#1

KRDG#1 New Member

The last book I read and finished was Paper Towns by John Green. He is an amazing writer and I like a ton of his books. I heard about it from my teacher who recommends great books like The Five People You Meet in Heaven and It's Kind of a Funny Story. Both of which I haven been meaning to read and hope I get the chance soon. They are all great interesting books and recommend them all.

5. slippersocksmedium

slippersocksmedium New Member

Five Star Billionaire by Tash Aw. I highly recommend! It's a bit like A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, following the inter-weaving stories of several characters. The city of Shanghai is pretty much a character as well - a quite cruel and unforgiving one. I discovered the author when I read his short story that won the O. Henry prize and I'm definitely going to check out his other books.

6. Karia Davis

Karia Davis New Member

This is so sad to say but I haven't read a book in a long time. I tend to read online blogs or magazine's. I will read people magizine, Jet or home living but mostly online blog's or stories with all the new technology I find myself reading online and less and less books. I need to go out and buy some books LOL.

7. greenrose6

greenrose6 New Member

I am currently trying to get myself to finish the first part of heart of darkness by Joseph Conrad. It's for school, I have been so intertwined with school, I cannot remember the last time I sat down and read a book that actually interested me.

8. alan_jackson89

alan_jackson89 New Member

The last book that I read was from Danielle Steel. She is my favorite writer. The book was called "Once in a life time". I could not wait to finish that book. I was reading many pages per day. It was a very interesting book and I was obsessed after it. I read for many hours and I could not give enough. But I miss that time. Now I do now read book, or I read a few because the internet takes most of my time. But reading books is a very good thing because it riches our vocabulary.

9. laureng818

laureng818 New Member

The last book I read was "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty. It probably could be described as chick lit but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Alice Love wakes up on the gym floor after hitting her head and believes she's 29 years old, newly married, and pregnant. The reality is that she has forgotten the last 10 years of her life. She has three kids that she doesn't remember and is in the process of divorcing her husband. The story takes you through a week of Alice's life in which she recovers memories and learns what led to the unraveling of her marriage.

abdobe likes this.
  10. MichaelHersey

MichaelHersey New Member

Тhе lаst thing І read аll thе wау thrоugh wаs, Тhе Culture оf Fear: Whу Americans Аrе Afraid оf thе Wrong Things, bу а fellow named Barry Glassner. Тhіs book іs а pretty eye opening lооk іntо media manipulation аnd unjustified panic thаt іs sо prevalent іn thе U.Ѕ. Basically, Glassner asserts thаt іf уоu watch TV, surf thе web, оr read thе newspaper, уоu аrе bеіng conditioned tо thіnk negatively. І hate admitting thаt а book аffесtеd mе, but І саn honestly sау thаt thе book changed thе wау І view news. І nоw rarely watch TV news аnd І tаkе internet articles wіth а grain оf salt. І bеlіеvе іf уоu read thіs book аnd tаkе thе message seriously, іt will mаkе уоu mоrе alert tо whаt іs happening іn оur wоrld. Thinking bасk tо news stories frоm whеn І wаs younger, І саn clearly sее thе media manipulation thаt Glassner talked аbоut. Іf уоu grew uр іn thе 1980's оr 90's, уоur parents wеrе рrоbаblу terrified оf уоu gеttіng kidnapped. Тhоugh thіs іs а legitimate fear, thе extent tо whісh parents wеnt tо protect thеіr children hаs proven tо bе ridiculous аnd unnecessary. Reading thіs book hаs honestly mаdе mе mоrе optimistic аbоut thіs country. Оnсе уоu read іt, уоu'll definitely lооk аt аll media differently.

11. Cedric L

Cedric L New Member

The last book I read was "Destined To Reign", by Joseph Prince. This work is a riveting and eye opening account of the message and ministry of "Grace, as opposed to Judgement and Punishment" a message that has had a powerful and liberating effect on so many. The book proclaims, "it's not about what you have to do but what has already been done, it is not about what you must accomplish, but what has already been accomplished for you". Being someone myself who came from a religious background that incorporated a mixture of "grace and law" with the real emphasis being heavily weighed on the side of law. I found his totally captivating guidance through the sometimes complicated maze of religion refreshing and enlightening full of hope not frustration, discover how not to feel defeated by unyielding laws, but how to Reign in life.

abdobe likes this.
  12. Katya

Katya New Member

Honestly the last "book" I finished was a comic book. I'm in a constant cycle of starting a book, getting bored, putting it aside, and asking around for a new interesting read. Right now I'm in the starting a book part of the cycle with "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Fairly interesting read so far. I've gotten further into this one than I have in almost all of the others. Maybe this one will reverse my curse.

13. LoneWritingRose

LoneWritingRose New Member

I remember the last book I read left me so shocked and sad. "Stuck In Neutral" by Terry Trueman is a short story that has you laughing yet holding your breath till that it's fateful words. I can't to get started on his sequel, "Life Happens Next". Terry Trueman is an amazing author of short novels that bond you to the characters and envelope you into their world.

14. borjaelefante

borjaelefante New Member

So the usual hype the series have is for real? I want to read them but still haven't find the chance.

I finished "The sand Woman" by Kobo Ama; at the begining I didn't find it to be really good but at about half it became a lot better, it's a really good read, still, I couldn't stop thinking how much this book could be taken as an allegory of our own world.

15. SmartBiscuit

SmartBiscuit New Member

I reread Stephen King's "On Writing." It's a really great narrative about how to write and also about how he became a writer. Amazing advice and lots of anecdotal reminiscences about his childhood and where he got some of his ideas for his most successful books. I would say it's a must read for anyone considering writing as a career and for anyone who is a big fan of Stephen King.

16. thatredhead

thatredhead New Member

The last book I read was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. This novel is a classic that most people have as a required reading in school. However, since it never was a required reading for me, I decided to read it myself. It turned out to be an incredible novel. I really enjoy dystopian novels. They can make one seriously think. A lot of times, these novels can promote change in the world because people get scared from dystopian civilizations.I loved this novel. The writing was very detailed and allowed the reader to be enraptured in this world where books are illegal. Also, the bizarre idea of firefighters starting fires is one of the most captivating concepts in the whole novel. It really makes the reader see the amount civilizations can change over time. All in all, it was a great novel.

17. keepdreaming

keepdreaming New Member

Today I just finished 50 Popular Beliefs That People Think Are True by Guy P. Harrison and really enjoyed it. Some of the topics could have probably been combined but I guess 50 beliefs looks better on a book cover than 20 or 30. Harrison has a very easy to read style which makes even complex things easy to follow. A lot of the information presented was been talked about in other books but there were a couple of things that were real eye openers.

18. Chen

Chen New Member

I rarely read books because of the mere fact that I am way too busy. But, I do remember the last book that I have read about 3-4 months ago. The Promise by Danielle Steel was quite moving it left me crying every single time. The story was about high school sweethearts on different social levels who wanted to get married. The guy is the heir of a huge company whilst the girl is a painter. Of course, the guy’s mother refused to give them her blessing. The love between them was so strong they decided to make a promise of their undying love and stay with each other and elope. But a huge accident destroyed their fate.

19. timetotravel

timetotravel New Member

I just finished reading Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour, which was SO good. I heard about it on booktube and I am glad I did! That was the first book I had read by her, so now I definitely have to check it out some more of her stuff. I'm still not sure what I want to read next... probably something I ordered on Black Friday. ;)

20. shehab

shehab New Member

I Just finished reading a book called "Buried in the sky" its about himalayan climbing from the sherpas point of view autor peter zuckerman/amanda padoan.

Before that one i read "into thin air" for maybe the 15th time by the author jon krakauer. I am mostly reading books about either climbing or other human feats like "between a rock and a hard place" by the author: aron ralston, its a amazing story which later on "2010" was also made into a movie "127 hours" book is better tho

21. JcLaY17

JcLaY17 New Member

In response to what Pauline Reyes said;

I would have to agree Pauline. The ending to the Hunger games series, for me anyway, was slightly disappointing. In a way they threw in a twist at the end to really capture the readers attention. I don't want to be a spoiler for anyone who has not had the privilege to read the series however, I will say that while reading the series I was expecting the ending to go in a completely different direction. Gale was one of my favorite characters throughout the book and I expected him to "come out on top," if you know what I mean. ;) Also Prim, a fantastic secondary character. Lets just say I cried a lot throughout the series! I have not yet seen Mockingjay Part 1, however I am quite looking forward to it!

22. violetturningviolet

violetturningviolet New Member

Because I (apparently) don't have enough to do with my time, I recently decided to take on the "Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge". I love books, and I love Gilmore Girls, so it seemed like a good fit. ;)

I chose A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for my first target (actually, a random number generator chose it for me). There are quite a few books on the list I've read before, but this wasn't one of them. I really enjoyed it, although I agree with some of the criticisms that suggest a number of the characters are kind of hollow stereotypes. Still, I can see why it's a classic.

The Crimson Petal and the White, which I've actually never even heard of before, is up next!

23. Lhyt

Lhyt New Member

I really need to read more books. If the last one is the one I read then I feel horrible because it was over a year ago. Excluding books I had to read for a class, the last book I read was The Hunger Games. I just decided to pick it up and start reading for fun and quickly became swept up into the story of it all. Sadly I am still in need to read the two other books in the trilogy.

24. skslxxbjk

skslxxbjk New Member

I just finished Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha. It was an incredible tale that walked me through the vivid, harrowing journey of the life of a geisha, Sayuri. I couldn't put it down at all - her story is so captivating, as it deals with the most base of human emotions: love, hate, jealousy, sorrow, and desperation. All in all, it was a must read, and I highly recommend it to all readers.

25. Grinnie

Grinnie New Member

I recently finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's a love story, with a gorgeous mystical circus setting and filled out secondary characters. It was the first book I've read in a long time I can truly describe as a page-turner.

26. Daniel Rayner

Daniel Rayner New Member

I have just finished reading The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. It was suggested to me by a friend who knew I love the series Wheel of Time. I have fallen in love with Mistborn for is simplicity weaved with complexity. All the typical elements found in many Epic Fantasy Novels are there but its so nice to have a weave of science fiction in there. Not in a huge way but just the avoidance of "magic" is refreshing. Everything in this series is what made me fall in love with Epic Fantasy Novels but with twists and turns that are the mid-ground between Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones.

27. Daniel Rayner

Daniel Rayner New Member

These books are great. and worth rereading again and again. I would suggest once you have read them get the audio book. Its read by Stephen Fry and Martin Freeman and are great to come back to and listen to. I find I get into reading so much that I don't stop to imagine the sound of things. These two really make it come to life in their reading of it.

28. Grinnie

Grinnie New Member

I absolutely agree, this is a must read. What I found cool and disturbing about this book was how at odds the poetic language is with the vulgar acts of HH. The purple prose makes you want to find the meaning beautiful, which feels so wrong when the main character is such a repulsive man.

29. Joshawa

Joshawa New Member

I just finished reading Best Served Cold by Joe Ambercrombie. I was about to put the book down after a couple pages, but then the action started, and I was enthralled to the end. The main character, Monza Murcatto, is betrayed by her employer, the Grand Duke. She recruits the best mercenaries she can find in order to enact revenge on the Grand duke. Best Served Cold is a story of revenge, action, love, and vengeance. If you're a fan of fantasy be sure to put this at the top of your reading list as this is one of the best books that I have read.

30. casscillac74

casscillac74 New Member

The last book that I read was the same book that I read every day.It's a one of a kind best seller.I tell you it can be found in most house but, most over look it until they need to read it.It gives you the best read of your life better than any other I have seen.The BIBLE