What is the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mihail Cristian, Feb 15, 2014.

1. joseb8

joseb8 New Member

A Mind of its Own: A Cultural History of the Penis by David M Friedman. Robert Hale,

2. deb.ram.oro

deb.ram.oro New Member

I just finished reading Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James. My friend said I just had to read them since I loved Twilight when I was in high school. The books are very out there, and it's pretty entertaining, but I gotta say I've read better romance ones. Now she's trying to get me to read Christians side of the books; still somewhat unsure though.

3. diegomorales

diegomorales New Member

The last book i read was Coldbrook by Tim Lebbon,i really enjoyed it. My sister actually bought me the book at her schools book fair and wow i'm really in love with it, the story is really lengthy and has a lot of little details. The story is basically of some scientist that open up a portal to another earth but in a different dimension and zombies start crossing over and killing everyone. I really recommend the book and it's a really cheap book too!

4. Zeroneverends

Zeroneverends New Member

No Country for Old Men was the last novel I read. McCarthy is a master of prose. I would certainly read the book again.

5. Timothy H

Timothy H New Member

I just finished reading Paradise Lost. It was an incredible experience, one that I would recommend to any accomplished reader. Milton's poetry is absolutely beautiful on every level, and his portrayal of Satan and Eden are magnificent. It is probably the most difficult work I've finished, though, and I'll have to return to it to truly understand Milton's poetic genius.

6. Megan Rogers

Megan Rogers New Member

I just finished "Plain Truth" by Jodi Piccoult. I've heard everyone raving about her lately and finally jumped on the bandwagon. It was longer than necessary and had some useless side stories, but was overall a good read. I know Piccoult likes to put twists in her stories, and this one definitely caught me off guard, which is good because I hate predictable endings. I'd recommend it if you're into mystery/drama themed novels!

7. bigchunkycharlies

bigchunkycharlies New Member

The last book I read was Notes from Underground, by Dostoyevsky. A friend had been trying to convince me to read one of his books for a long time, so I decided to get one of Dostoyevsky's shorter works. I must say, it exceeded all my expectations. The main character felt incredibly realistic, I felt as if I was actually speaking with him face to face in the streets of St. Petersburg. Not only did he feel realistic, but also I (and I think most of us) could recognize among his thoughts some of my own, and sympathize with him. This is what makes Notes from Underground such a great work, in my opinion. I will definitely read another book by this author, as soon as I have the time.

8. Samothy

Samothy New Member

I just finished reading Gone Girl a few days ago. It was one of those that just disappears after two or three sittings. Originally I bought it because I obstinately refuse to watch a movie before I've read the book, but it turned out to be one of the most engaging and mind-bending novels I've read in a while. Highly recommended!

9. CassieT

CassieT New Member

The last book that I read was Landline, written by Rainbow Rowell. Rowell is a terrific writer who gained notoriety with her YA novels Fangirl and Eleanor & Park (which I also read and loved). Landline is about a TV writer who hits a rough patch in her marriage. While her husband and her kids are out of town, Georgie (the main character) decides to stay with her mother. There, she discovers a telephone that allows Georgie to speak to her husband in the past. The phone acts as a sort of time machine, which gives Georgie an opportunity to try and fix things with her husband.

Rainbow Rowell's words and sentences read like poetry and I love the characters she creates. I highly recommend checking out any of her books.

10. faeiry

faeiry New Member

Right now I am reading "1Q84" by Haruki Murakami, and the last book I read was also written by him. Well actually it wasn't a book, but a short story called "Yesterday". I really enjoy reading Murakami because he makes me feel like I am actually part of his story

11. horsenextdoor

horsenextdoor New Member

Last book I read was Job - The Story of a simple man by Joseph Roth. It is a school lecture so it already spreads the boredom all over the place. It has its moments, but I really do not like it. The lectures we read before were more interesting than that.
    Other than school lectures, I do not read any books. It is the time of the internet guys!

12. edensavette

edensavette New Member

I'm currently in the process of reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. It's hilarious so far, but I might be a little biased because I'm head over heels for her. It's a good read and I would (and have) suggested it to friends. It was worth the money.

13. ibsassy72

ibsassy72 New Member

Just read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Great book about MMORPG's and what the internet could be. Fun kind of mystery too. Young adult fiction, but still fun.

14. Josh Perdue

Josh Perdue New Member

I recently finished book seven of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, titled A Crown of Swords. For anyone who hasn't heard of this wonderful series before, I encourage you to try it. The scope of the characters and the world itself is immense. There are 13 books in the series total, and the story follows about 8 different main characters. It is in the fantasy genre, and could be compared to Tolkien and Martin in some ways, but is much too unique to be a generic fantasy story. I urge anyone to give it a try!

15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 New Member

The last book I've read is Singing Songs by Meg Tilly. This is one of the best books I've read so far. The author, Meg Tilly, cleverly captures the naïve voice and view of a little girl named Anna. Anna lives in a dysfunctional and abusive family. It's difficult to say that I like this novel since the subject is really intense and serious. Actually, I was not that prepared for those graphic scenes which made me cringe in my seat. This isn't the book suitable for those faint of heart. It's an eye-opener though.

16. hbryant

hbryant New Member

The book I just finished is called "The Summer I Died" by Ryan C. Thomas.
    Not a book I would typically read, but all the great reviews on Goodreads had me intrigued. Must say, I couldn't put the book down, but it was very hard to get through. There's apparently a sequel, but I may have to give it some time before attempting!

17. inayat shah

inayat shah New Member

I'm reading a book right now, and it's called Fallen by Lauren Kate. Here's the thing. I LOVE the paranormal romance genre, which is what this is, but...It's just sort of...weird! Like, the love story is complete rubbish! The main character, Luce, has no reason to like her love interest, Daniel. He's just a weird person who must be bipolar or something. I mean, this girl is obsessed with him, and we know nothing about him! Throughout the book, it's just been cryptic messages that make NO sense, and he just doesn't want to be with Luce, but she keeps up her persistence. I do sort of like it, I want to know what Daniel's problem is. Plus, the book just has this insane, eccentric feeling to it. But the romance isn't good at all, and it feels forced.

18. chelseamk

chelseamk New Member

The last book I read was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was a great book, really kept you on your toes. He can be a hard author to follow sometimes but, this is one of my favorites. He has great writing skills but, doesn't use a lot of grammar such as quotation marks. Once you get used to his writing style, you won't be disappointed. It is similar to a post-apocalyptic book.

19. eggnogg

eggnogg New Member

The Last Book I read was The Revenge Of Seven by Pittacus Lore. If you are into sci-fi fiction stories , I recommend you read this particular book series. Firstly, the characters are all so diverse, each has their own characteristics. Although some have the same powers, (Yes, this book is about Alien Beings with extraordinary abilities) each character has distinct personalities which I applaud the author for. The story is very exciting and the way it draws you into every event in the story makes me want to become a part of them, to be in that story. There is action, which is amazingly detailed in the book, you will feel the intensity while reading them.

The best thing about it is that it does not revolve around a single character, I mean, the perspective changes. In one part, a certain character is the one narrating and it switches to another character so you will deeply understand what is going on in the story.

20. Elenora

Elenora New Member

The Secret. "“You become what you think about most.. But you also attract what you think about most."

21. stephanieornelas

stephanieornelas New Member

The latest book I’ve picked up and finished is The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. As far as dystopian novels go, this is a great read. The premise was interesting enough, and it’s still relevant to this day. It’s about people who live in a society where things like genetic mutations are seen as curses and blasphemy against God. Of course, it just so happens that the main character is able to read minds.

The novel delves into bigger concepts like how religion can easily be misread by people, which can turn them into hateful bigots. It reads like somebody’s personal journal and it’s a pretty fast read at 200 or so pages. I definitely would recommend other people to read it sometime.