What is the ultimate comfort food?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by sewintofabric, Oct 27, 2012.

1. kristentheangel

kristentheangel New Member

I agree that apple pie is true comfort food. I love the way the apples fall apart when you bite into them. Sometimes I will bite into a bitter apple, but that doesn't bother me. I, like you, usually have a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. I think that this may be a strictly New England thing, but I love to have sharp cheddar cheese melted on the pie before I eat it. If you haven't tried it yet, I encourage you to do so!

2. Melissa Miller

Melissa Miller New Member

For me, Shepherd's Pie is the ULTIMATE comfort food. One can only hope that it will be compatible with my future plans to go gluten-free. There are many variations, so as far as a recipe is concerned, you might check allrecipes.com or food.com.

3. daisy chainsaw

daisy chainsaw New Member

Mmm, just reading these is making my mouth water! The first thing that springs to my mind is mashed potatoes with butter, and tomato ketchup mixed in , to make the potatoes pink, lovely! Or, Walkers cheese and onion crisps with chopped up cheese in `em, Danish Blue cheese, tangy and creamy, yum! Cadbury chocolate, Lindt chocolate, any fancy hand-made chocolates, I could go on!!

4. Jacenta

Jacenta New Member

If I had to pick only one food to be my comfort food, it would be cheese! I can successfully add it to practically anything, depending on what mood I'm in. And I'm not talking about some store brand sliced cheese that tastes like wax. I'm talking about some hot, gooey cheddar cheese, melted mozzarella, shredded Colby Jack, and the list goes on. This includes when I'm eating a salad to stay healthy, a burger or sandwich, or mixing up a mashed potato, chili and cheese concoction that will put me over the calorie limit for the next week. :D
    Also, cheese isn't not so bad in small doses as a way to stave off hunger. I will regularly slice off a small chunk of some Colby Jack as a snack for the kids and myself, and when I add some crackers, it's practically a meal. (As far as my kids and I are concerned, Cheese and Ketchup have their own food group!)

Kerri likes this.
  5. Dottie

Dottie New Member

Ice cream just has to be one of the best comfort foods ever! I grew up on the hand churned ice cream that took hours but haven't messed with that in years. In fact there's a brand that you can now buy in some grocery stores that is amazing. Graeter's ice cream, made in Cincinnati is a cut above the rest. Everyone should try the Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip. They make the ice cream in small batches and their chocolate from scratch. It is a smooth and creamy goodness you will not put down. There's no sharing at my house!

6. SigmaOctans

SigmaOctans New Member

Dry roasted peanuts drenched in honey. Boy, if I didn't care about my waistline I would chow down bowl after bowl of the stuff. I also like sprinkling a little granola on them. It's heaven in your mouth, to put it lightly.

7. Brandonazz

Brandonazz New Member

Cheesecake. I literally cannot experience negative emotion when that golden-white goodness is dissolving in my mouth. How mankind came to create this heavenly ambrosia on its own is totally beyond my comprehension. Divine intervention was almost certainly involved.

8. atjuh

atjuh New Member

Comfort food I would settle for a Ben and Jerry with cookie dough, any day of the week regardless what happened.

9. katemcbride

katemcbride New Member

A freshly whipped cone of ice-cream along with a chocolate flake is a great comfort food. Alternatively chilli flavor tortilla chips with sour cream and chive dip makes all the difference when watching telly in front of a real fire.

10. jess1236

jess1236 New Member

There are many, but my favourite to make is lasagna.
    I make a big pot of vegetarian bolognese with lentils, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and herbs, followed by a pot of bechamel sauce with milk, butter, flower, shaved Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
    Then I layer it all with pasta sheets, top with a little (but really a lot) more Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven.

11. artsyferrat

artsyferrat New Member

I usually either go for fried potatoes or vanilla non-dairy ice cream, only due to lactose intolerance. Fried potatoes are especially the comfort food I choose over all else.

12. Grammargirl

Grammargirl New Member

The ultimate comfort food is home cooked beef stew. The smell of stew in the kitchen as it cooks all day always brings me back to my childhood and happy holiday gatherings. Fresh cut carrot, celery, potato and a well prepped roast beef slowing cooking to perfection is something to look forward to all day and then enjoy with each bite at dinner time.

13. Jillian

Jillian New Member

Definitely takoyaki! I've learned to make it (thanks to my Japanese friends) and when I have the time I make about 30 balls and can finish them all in one day! If I don't have time I go for milk chocolate :)

14. lupitabaires

lupitabaires New Member

My typical comfort food is potatoes, especially roasted in the oven. They're super easy to make. You just stick them in the oven and forget about them. If you season it well with herbs and spices, it's so much better and healthier than French fries. Usually I just cut up a few potatoes into wedges or medium-sized cubes, throw on black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, etc., then put them in the oven at about 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave them in there and maybe toss them a bit after 30 minutes or so. Cook until golden brown and crispy on the outside. It's perfect when you don't feel like cooking much.

15. tayla717

tayla717 New Member

This may be cliche, but my favorite comfort food has to be a large bowl of cookies and cream ice cream. Something about a cold, unhealthy (but extremely delicious) dessert soothes my soul. It's definitely not a healthy habit to pick up, but it can make a bad day a lot better!

16. Ashley Wills

Ashley Wills New Member

Mine is definitely macaroni and cheese. It is my total go to when I am feeling down. I'm not sure anything can beat pasta and cheese!

17. smlewis00

smlewis00 New Member

My comfort food is my mother's homemade chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes. She makes the noodles homemade and they are absolutely amazing! My uncle raises chickens and she uses fresh eggs to make the noodle. Sadly, I live 16 hours away from her, but when I do get to go home, she always makes that meal for me. I find so much comfort not only in the delicous taste, but because it is "home."

18. KylieS

KylieS New Member

The greatest comfort food is definitely chocolate. Milk chocolate!

19. LilliusWilkins

LilliusWilkins New Member

I can never go wrong with ice cream! If I'm feeling sad then gourmet ice cream from a parlour picks me up pretty quickly. =) Unfortunately, it also picks up the numbers on the scales.

20. vfefmama3

vfefmama3 New Member

I would have to say that the ultimate comfort food is what we call "Birthday Macaroni" which is macaroni noodles, tomato/spaghetti sauce on top, and melted marbled cheese mixed in. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like it, and it's filling too!

21. gracechelle

gracechelle New Member

Talking about comfort food, mine has always been Coffee Crumble ice cream from Selecta. After all the hard work and the stress, it just feels so good to sit down, watch a feel good movie and dig in direct from the tub of my coffee ice cream.

22. Mary Beth Caires

Mary Beth Caires New Member

I am a southern girl so comfort food to me means fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, corn, greens, and lemonade. Unfortunately eating too much of those foods has given me high blood pressure, so I am currently learning how to make these foods a bit lighter.

23. beanieman

beanieman Guest

I was going to say, "Hands down, green bean casserole!" But, I don't think it can stand alone without its comfort food posse, meatloaf and mashed potatoes. No, I'm going to name another comfort food. Please let the voice in your head read this in a German accent: "Kielbasa und sauerkraut." My husband convinced me to swap the pork Boston butt (why, why must it be called a "butt" when it's part of the shoulder?) for a long, snaky link of kielbasa. My protests, calling it a spiced up hotdog, fell flat. And so, without further ado, he chopped the link into bite-sized pieces, nestled them in a bed of onion and sauerkraut, poured in a cup of Guinness, spread a spicy brown horseradish mustard over the top, and let five hours on low work its magic. Pork and sauerkraut is supposed to bring luck in the new year. I ate very unladylike portions of this lucky dish over the course of three days, at which point I would have eaten more, except for the fact that the "sauer" in the kraut was turning into wine. I expect 2014 to be quite the lucky year.

24. ursell

ursell New Member

My comfort food is chicken pasta and seafood pasta. I can eat pasta every day. All three meals of
    the day. I think that pasta might be my favorite food.

25. Janny G

Janny G New Member

My go to comfort food, probably would have to go with Chinese! I could easily order 3 to 4 things off the menu and eat them all by myself while watching a good movie or a marathon of any of my favorite series. You can also never go wrong with sweets. From a simple vanilla ice-cream to a hot fudge brownie sundae!

26. kaninfordays

kaninfordays New Member

My comfort food is pizza. Whenever I'm traveling overseas and I'm homesick, pizza always makes me feel better. I'm not exactly sure why that is. It doesn't really matter what toppings are on the pizza, just as long as it's pan-fried and cheesy.

27. UncleJesse

UncleJesse Member

The secret to the best comfort food can be found in the potato. Yes the common household potato. The greasier the better. Here's what I do:

1.) Peel (or don't peel) 3-4 large russet potatoes
    2.) Put a few pads of butter (the kind without additives) to the pan
    3.) Add a few teaspoons of canola oil to the pan with the butter
    4.) Add all the potatoes to the hot pan you just oiled
    5.) Cook with lid on for faster cooking "steamed" like potatoes
    or leave the lid off for slower cooking, crispy style potatoes.

Experiment, you will get the hang of it! Super cheap and super filling!

28. UncleJesse

UncleJesse Member

Also, I cannot deny my mom's home made pasta sauce with ribs and sausage. This has to be some of the most comforting food there is. I mean, home made Italian food from an original recipe your ancestors brought over on the boat? Forget about it!

29. stevenwallac

stevenwallac New Member

Тhеrе аrе sо mаnу comfort foods thаt іt саn bе difficult tо choose јust оnе! Іt depends оn whаt уоur personal tastes аrе but fоr mе І love Pizza. Fоr а whіlе аftеr І bесаmе а vegetarian І wаs а bit bummed thаt І couldn't hаvе pizza аnуmоrе. І hаd nо business eating cheese аnуwау sіnсе І аm lactose intolerant but І stіll ate іt but јust walked аrоund wіth а bloated stomach, І аlwауs looked fоur months pregnant lol. Еvеn thе vegetarian cheese hаs traces оf dairy іn іt, but thеn І discovered thаt pizza tastes јust аs good wіthоut cheese! І wаs sо happy. Fоr mе pizza іs mу ultimate comfort food.

30. ambers01

ambers01 New Member

Whereas I generally eat only healthy foods, when I'm feeling down, I make a huge casserole-sized chicken pot pie with a huge serving of macaroni and cheese. Everything made from scratch of course, because there is nothing comforting about processed garbage.