What is the ultimate comfort food?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by sewintofabric, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Mylene

Mylene New Member

I would consider any pasta dish as a comfort food for me.

2. Gail J

Gail J New Member

My ultimate comfort food is my French Onion Soup. Not only is making this soup a labor of love but the low and slow cooking process allows the flavors to develop into something simply sublime. There are not many ingredients required for a French Onion Soup but they should be of the very best quality and for me, this means starting with a rich and flavorful homemade beef stock. Okay, now I want some!

3. Lindzy

Lindzy New Member

My favourite comfort food is Gratin Dauphinois (or creamy, cheeshy potatos). It is very easy to make and only takes around an 1.5 hours to prepare.

Ingredients
    1 IB of good quality potatos
    1 Medium Garlin - crushed
    5 oz Cream
    5 oz Milk
    5 oz Medium to Strong Cheese
    1 oz Butter
    Salt, Pepper, Paprika to taste

Method

1. Preheat the oven at 300°F (150°C).

2 First, peel the potatoes and slice them very thinly. Then plunge the potato slices into a bowl of cold water and swill them around to get rid of some of the starch.

3 Dry them very thoroughly in a clean tea cloth.

4 Then in the gratin dish arrange a layer of potato slices, a sprinkling of crushed garlic, pepper, salt and paprika to taste, and then another layer of potatoes and seasoning.

5 Now mix the cream, milk and cheese together, pour it over the potatoes, sprinkle with a little freshly grated nutmeg, then add the butter and cheese in flecks over the surface and bake on the highest shelf in the oven for 1½ hours.

My second favourite comfort food is rice and peas (Caribbean style) and my third favourite is Basmati Rice & Dall with lots of garlic (especially when I am ill).

4. natemp

natemp New Member

One of my favorites is Macaroni and Cheese. My father has an awesome recipe that he makes in Wisconsin every year. (For those who don't know: Wisconsin has the best cheese and bratwurst out of anywhere in the USA.) He put at least 7 types of cheese and 3 types of bratwurst in the mac and cheese, added breadcrumbs to the top of it, and then baked it. It came out absolutely decadent. Now I want some again.

5. 090208

090208 New Member

I'm not sure why, but anything to do with apple pie just makes me soooooo happy. I love the taste of apples and cinnamon mixed in a sweet, flaky pastry.... plus it'll be all warm and toasty... I usually add a dollop of vanilla ice cream and I'm in heaven.. just thinking about it has got my mouth all watery.

6. Katherine C Maloney

Katherine C Maloney New Member

My comfort food would have to be macaroni and cheese or biscuits and gravy. Mac and cheese because it's warm, delicious and cheesy would can taste great on a rainy or cold day. Biscuits and gravy is a great comfort food for breakfast because who doesn't like butter biscuits?! They're delicious and remind me of home.

7. Shanbythesea

Shanbythesea New Member

My ultimate comfort food is homemade mashed potatoes. I use red potatoes that have been boiled until fork tender. Around 8 - 10 medium sized ones. I peel them after I cook them, I find it a bit easier to do it that way. And mash them up with a fork! Then I add about a cup of half and half and a stick of butter. And salt to taste. Not super healthy if you eat a ton, but delish!!! A steak to go with it makes perfection. Yum.

8. postme

postme New Member

fried rice and noodles, these are all my favorite foods ... yummi

9. HDRyan

HDRyan New Member

Everyone has their own type of comfort food, and sometimes it changes throughout your lifetime. For me, currently, I enjoy Snyder's Honey Mustard and Onion pretzel pieces. Could it be just because I crave it in my pregnancy? Perhaps, but I seem to have always loved them, at least somewhat.

I am also very fond of warm-out-of-the-oven sugar cookies. Those can set me right into a good and comfortable mood at almost any time of day, though I try to have them only for dessert.

10. aqua02

aqua02 New Member

My comfort food is ice cream , the mint chocolate flavor . I love the minty taste with the chocolate , it melts in your mouth . It makes your mouth water , just looking at it and it's creamy with little chunks of chocolate in the ice cream .

kwp731 likes this.
  11. FeralManChild

FeralManChild New Member

By comfort food, you have me thinking of stress relief food. The most enjoyable stress relief food that i have consumed is dark chocolate—savoring every nibble in my mouth as it melts and stimulates my saliva glands—However, quality dark chocolate is expensive and difficult to find, yet healthier.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  12. Bethany Weir

Bethany Weir New Member

This is a tough one as I have oh so many comfort foods...My favorite is pizza and homemade mac and cheese with extra crumb topping and fancy cheeses. Mmmm...just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I also love BBQ chicken quesadillas with extra, extra, extra sour cream. I can only break it down to three favorites.

13. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

For me, it's spaghetti with homemade meat sauce. When I was a kid, my dad would make it for special occasions, and it still gives me that warm, comforting feeling when I eat it.

I also really love homemade vegetable soup. Nothing brings me more comfort than a steamy bowl of vegetable soup on a chilly day. Of course, I even love it during the summer, and vegetables are freshest then!

14. Amelie

Amelie New Member

Lumpiang Shanghai (Filipinized spring roll). In a huge bowl, put a pound of ground pork, an egg, a dash of soy sauce, minced carrots, celery, and turnips, salt and pepper and mash them all together like you're making smelly dough. Put a heaping spoonful of the stuff in the middle of a wrapper, form a thin log (it has to be thin otherwise the meat won't get cooked through), and roll the wrapper over it. Deep fry and serve with ketchup or special sauce if you're feeling particularly domestic. I dare you to stop eating at just one.

15. Gold Blue

Gold Blue New Member

For me, the best comfort food is the Apple Pastry Pie. It’s delicious and, you’ll see, not too hard to cook. I bake it when I’m sad… or discouraged… or when life seems very hard, but also on happy occasions.
    You need 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted, 4 small apples, 2 ounce of cold unsalted butter and ¼ cup of brown sugar. To prepare it you need to preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Then remove the stems and cores of the apples, peel and cut them in half through the stem, slice them in thin slices. Place the slices of apples on the pastry, sprinkle the apples evenly with the sugar and dot them with the butter. Bake for 35 minutes, until the pastry is browned and the edges of the apples start to brown. Taste it. You’ll have a memorable moment. And your spirit will get a quick boost!

16. The Mask

The Mask New Member

Comfort food in terms of health - LOL.... I don't think that any comfort food offer any type of health benefits. Well if I want some kind of "comfort food", I eat papaya or berries. Sometimes I get these sliced vegetables and throw away their dressings and just eat raw veggies. I eat almonds and pecans. There really no connection between "comfort food" and health.... http://healthforum.hwcva.com

17. CathyPack

CathyPack New Member

Му comfort food іs fried rice аnd egg rolls frоm mу favorite local chinese place. І usеd tо gо thеrе wіth mу mom аnd grandmother whеn thеу stіll lived hеrе аnd І'vе knоwn аll оf thе staff sіnсе І wаs а kid.

I јust learned hоw tо mаkе fried rice аnd egg rolls аt hоmе though. Му fried rice іs pretty darned good, but it's nоt quіtе uр tо standard. Му eggrolls definitely nееd sоmе work though.

Fried rice іs surprisingly easy though. Неrе іs hоw tо mаkе it:

You will nееd а lіttlе bit оf white onion, peas, carrots, аn egg, cooked rice (of course!), soy sauce аnd oil tо fry еvеrуthіng in. І usuаllу buy а pea аnd carrot mix frоm thе frozen section, іt mаkеs thе process а lot easier. Fоr oil І usе regular vegatable oil аnd add sоmе sesame oil fоr flavor, it's nоt neccesary, but І lіkе hоw іt tastes.

First, І saute аll оf thе ingredients ехсерt fоr thе rice оnе аt а time аnd set thеm aside. It's іmроrtаnt tо cook еасh ingredient seperately, іt јust tastes better thаt way. І usuаllу scramble thе egg last, it's lеss messy thаt way.

Next, І рut еvеrуthіng іntо а large fry pan, including thе cooked rice thіs time аnd fry іt untіl еvеrуthіng іs nice аnd steamy. Add sоmе soy sauce tо taste аnd уоu hаvе fried rice.

Rice thаt іs а fеw days оld usuаllу works better thаn fresh rice. Іt dоеsn't stick tо еvеrуthіng аs muсh аnd mаkе уоur pans hard tо clean, І thіnk іt tastes better too.

18. Excelsior9292

Excelsior9292 New Member

Mine are the crispy Lays potato chips and Kinder Bueno, a milk chocolate wafer with creamy hazelnut inside. Every snack that are evil to your health unusually gives you a sense of comfort.

19. Gulloev

Gulloev New Member

The perfect comfort food is chocolate layered with chocolate. If this doesn't wash away all troubles- Eat more chocolate.

20. bronwyn mcleod

bronwyn mcleod New Member

I love grits. They are the ultimate southern comfort food. They make me feel nice and warm inside.

21. mmhays

mmhays New Member

My comfort food is usually some pizza, or Dark chocolate depending on my mood. Usually if I'm down or sad about something I go for the dark chocolate. I don't feel as guilty eating dark chocolate because it's better for you. Research has shown dark chocolate to actually make you happy because it contains phenylethylamine, which encourages your brain to release endorphins. It's also high in antioxidants, which is great as well. It's a win win ;)

22. zarah

zarah New Member

You cannot beat junk food, especially a juicy donner kebab on the weekend or a meaty burger.

23. Latasha Howard

Latasha Howard New Member

My comfort food is graham crackers and milk, yum yum! It is something about graham crackers and milk that really relaxes me. And I only use graham pie crust when making cheese cake. My second comfort food would be turtle cheesecake.

24. serina

serina New Member

On my cheat days, I still keep it healthy. My cheat/comfort food of choice is home made mac n' cheese. Organic spelt pasts shells, organic non-hormone cheddar cheese (and milk and butter), topped with organic gluten free bread crumbs.