What is your favorite easy meal?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by plsargent, Aug 10, 2012.

1. plsargent

plsargent Member

I'm in a cooking rut and could use some new ideas. What your go to meal for quick and easy or favorite dish?

2. ouzo12

ouzo12 New Member

A quick and easy meal that doesn't take a lot of prep, time, or cooking knowledge? I've got you covered!

Pita Pizzas - Low in Fat, 15 minutes.

- Whole Wheat Pita
    - Tomato Pesto (a concentrated tomato paste with spices, found in your pizza sauce section)
    - Deli meats (turkey breast, as a low fat option)
    - Feta cheese (or shredded cheese)
    - Olives, spinach... and other veggies

Take your whole wheat pita and put some pesto on top. Decorate it with crushed feta cheese, olive slices, and spinach leaves. Top it with your sliced deli meat turkey (aka the pepperoni!) Throw it in the oven on top of a cookie tray that is lined with tin foil. Bake it at 350 until lightly brown (6-8 minutes). For an even easier cook, warm it up in the microwave! (Microwave tip: to make the bottom crispy like pizza, throw the pita in the toaster before you load it with toppings!)

Cheap, low in fat, quick, easy, and super cute at parties!!

plsargent likes this.
  3. plsargent

plsargent Member

That sounds so good! I'm grocery shopping tomorrow and I will deffinetly be adding this to my list, thank you for posting this.

Anyone else I need new ideas for my family, I/we are board of the same thing week in and week out. Time to spice it up a bit.

4. Starving.Student

Starving.Student New Member

Pasta! Take a jar sauce, but add ingredients. I like to put in oregano, garlic, onion, green pepper, tomato, ground beef and zucchini.

The trick is to cook all the extra ingredients together first, then add the pasta sauce. Absolute heaven. Also, I love whole grain pasta, much healthier than the regular stuff. Oh, and the dish takes 20 mins in total to prepare.

5. Dot

Dot New Member

I have a lot of favorite meals. One of them is rice. I can boil some rice in 11 minutes and have a nice meal. Rice can fill up the stomach quickly also. I can fry and egg really quick (and serve it with the rice). I've been cooking so long that I can whip up something quick without a second thought. But my favorite quick meal would be chunky chicken noodle soup. Open a can, pour in a pot and let it sit on the stove for 10 to 15 minutes. Mmmm Mmmm good.

6. Marianna1988

Marianna1988 New Member

One of my favorite easy meals is chorizo and eggs. Just crumble chorizo in a skillet like you would hamburger, add a few eggs and scramble it all together, and then wrap into a tortilla with some cheese. Sometime I add in onion, bell pepper, or whatever we have on hand. It's really versatile and yummy (we're eating it for dinner tonight! Mmmm!).

I also like to roast chickens and then clean all the meat off the bones. Then we have quick easy meat for sandwiches, salads, etc.

7. potatochips101

potatochips101 New Member

Easy breakfast: fresh baked biscuits, fruit smoothie and well seasoned scrambled tofu and oven fried potatoes.
    Easy lunch: Large leafy salad with sprouts, garden fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, raw sunflower seeds, left over scrambled tofu with fresh pressed garlic/olive oil/lemon juice/pink salt dressing. Dessert a mango or some cherries, apple slices and a piece of fresh pineapple.
    Eating two meals keeps the stomach from being overworked and keeps you from feeling sluggish.
    Easy and healthy guilt free :)

8. Dawn Jehue

Dawn Jehue New Member

Frozen Broccoli, Chicken Breasts, Cream of mushroom soup. Combine in crockpot and 4 hours on low. Great meal.

9. IronSight90

IronSight90 New Member

For me it has to be a good old jacket potato. I will admit, I am impatient, so I like to go for the microwave approach. Pierce a few times with a fork, nuke for 3 and a half minutes each side, cut almost in half and add beans and cheese.
    Perfect!

Of course you can add anything you want, that's the beauty of the jacket spud, it is so versatile!

10. hellotina

hellotina New Member

Quick and easy meals cannot get better than pizza bagels. If you are planning to make pasta one night and always have left over sauce (marinara) then this is the thing for you. Place the halves of bagels on a cookie sheet and toast for about 5 minutes depending on temperature setting. Then spread marinara sauce on to the tops of the bagels, and spread your choice of cheese. I like to garnish with pieces of basil but your toppings are entirely up to you! Quick and easy, voila!

11. antoinetteschoeman

antoinetteschoeman New Member

My favourite is Breakfast Fried Rice, using cold leftover rice, either jasmine or basmati. Make runny scrambled eggs, using 3 eggs, and put aside. Using the same pan, so you have some crispy bits of egg, add some vegetable oil and fry one portion of rice for a minute or two. Add some frozen peas (or any vegetables you like) and cooked bacon, and fry for another minute. Add the runny scrambled eggs, stir well, then add about 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Add some ground black pepper, and voila! The best breakfast ever!

12. Jen Hershman

Jen Hershman New Member

I love my crock pot. You can throw just about anything in it and it will come out amazing. Assuming you have some idea how long to cook it. :) I got a book called Easy Entertaining years ago and I still use it all the time. I also like that you can find a recipe for just about anything with an internet search. My husband recently started Weight Watchers. I've had to tweak most of my favorites a little, but have found good alternatives online.

liberty4all likes this.
  13. adonnis latson

adonnis latson New Member

My favorite easy meal is Pizza. All you do is take it out of the box, put it in a cookie sheet, turn the oven on and wait until the cheese melt. Its that easy.

sandi246 likes this.
  14. jdzla

jdzla New Member

i'd go with bacon. Candied bacon. It tastes like candy AND bacon. You can never go wrong with bacon, eggs and some bread. =)

15. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirl New Member

I love cooking a "stir-fry". Toss whatever veggies I have on hand in a pan, sauté with soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Then add an egg or two and cook until the egg is done. Lastly, add in slightly under cooked rice and cook until warm.

16. EmilyA874

EmilyA874 New Member

My go to easy (and healthy!) meal is what my family calls "salsa chicken". I take a couple boneless skinless chicken breast and dice them up, layer a 9x11 pan with about an inch of salsa and toss the chicken on top and put it in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes I add a can of black beans over the top of the chicken and salsa and put it back in for 5 minutes, then add mozzarella and put it in for another 5 minutes so it's nice and melted. I usually serve this over brown rice or wrapped in whole wheat tortillas, super yummy and easy to make!

17. Mcosn

Mcosn New Member

Simple : 2 Chicken Breasts , 1 Wholewheat wrap , lettuce , Mayonnaise , Old el Paso Taco spice mix

- Cook the chicken until it's completely done
    - Add some spice mix and about 50ml of water
    - Microwave the wrap for 30 seconds full power
    - Add the chicken, lettuce, mayo to the wrap

Enjoy! 10 min preparation time max.

18. Ronin

Ronin New Member

If you're looking for cheap, quick, and easy meals, look no further than ramen! One of my favorite ideas with ramen is to add tuna or salmon to the pot as you're cooking the noodles. You can also add vegetables, seasonings, and anything else. It's great for people on a very tight bidget like me, or for beginning chefs to toss some ideas around.

I hope this helped.

19. pdumas3

pdumas3 New Member

One of my favorite quick fixes is fried ground turkey burgers with brown rice and gravy, and green peas.

20. bdawn

bdawn New Member

Macaroni casserole with salad. So fast and tasty. Just get some Kraft Mac & Cheese (we like the white cheddar kind!) and, well, make it. I usually go with one box per two people. After you have the cheesey goodness all made up, get some hotdogs (or use whatever you like... I've tried tuna too and it was good!) and cut them up into the Mac & Cheese.

Spread the mixture into a 9x13 pan and put a little shredded cheese on top. Bake it in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. While it's cooking, mix up your salad!

It may sound unhealthy, but we always load our plates up with the salad and then usually each have a 1/6 of the pan slice. The whole thing is usually around 500 calories, and it's tasty, quick, and filling!

21. ausetamen

ausetamen New Member

A quick meal would be some veggie pasta. All you need is some pasta noodles along with some spaghetti sauce and your in there. You could also add some green peppers and onions if you like.

22. iampeebs

iampeebs New Member

My favorite easy meal is tried and true. Pick up your phone and get a pizza delivered. I am not a fan of cooking, but sometimes you have to do things you don't like.

23. Jacek

Jacek New Member

Salsa Chicken
    Chicken breasts without skin (4)
    Taco seasoning (1 package)
    Cover chicken with salsa as hot or mild as you like.
    Cook chicken until done about 45 min
    Take chicken out add 2 cups of sour cream to pan stir then put chicken back in sauce.
    Serve with rice and a salad.

A real favorite and so so easy. Enjoy

24. KennyKoolster22

KennyKoolster22 New Member

A quick easy meal for me is Maruchan Noodle Cups. It's quick easy, and edible. Probably the most low-budget cost food you can ever buy.

25. Sheri

Sheri New Member

If you like shrimp and garlic, you'll love shrimp and spaghetti! Its easy and tasty! All ya need is:

Box of spaghetti
    1 LB. shrimp (fresh is best) but can use frozen
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Tbsp. butter
    2 Tbsp minced garlic (fresh or in a jar)
    1 Tbsp garlic powder
    1 Tsp seasoning salt
    1/2 Tsp salt
    1/2 Tsp pepper

Boil spaghetti as directed.
    Place oil in a cast iron frying pan, ( or frying pan) on med-low heat, (do not fry the shrimp) add shrimp and garlic, and simmer on low for about 12 mins, turn off heat and let set.
    Mean time spaghetti should be done, drain and add butter, salt, pepper, seasoning salt and garlic powder. Stir and add oil and shrimp to mixer. Season to your liking, can add more garlic or salt and pepper ect.

I like to serve it with garlic bread and a tossed salad. It's one of those dishes that is even better the next day. Enjoy! :)

26. Erik Serrano

Erik Serrano New Member

My idea of a easy meal is diced chicken mixed into a bowl of romaine lettuce with a little bit of caesar dressing. Take the mixed up lettuce and chicken and serve it in a pita bread pouch. Fast easy and yummy

27. Heartnsoul

Heartnsoul New Member

My favorite easy and "go-to" meals are pasta salads(with any raw veggies we have on hand) and quesadillas-same thing-we use any veggeis we have on hand. And the kids love them too, so it makes a qucik easy family friendly meal.

28. Poochy Ponders

Poochy Ponders New Member

My favorite "in a hurry" "super easy" meal is a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew served over Pillsbury Grand Biscuits. Comfort in a few minutes...

29. carm123

carm123 New Member

cereal or pasta

30. LadyBast

LadyBast New Member

I'm not sure if it is really classed as "easy" as it takes a bit of prep and it's not even hugely quick, but it's definitely a favourite dish of mine, and isn't difficult to make at all - chicken enchiladas & roasted vegetable cous-cous.

I use packet cous-cous, as it's just easier, but I make the enchiladas from scratch and as such I don't have precise measurements - just a case of adding to your own taste I guess!

Ingredients:
    Chicken; sliced red onion (softened & caramelised to taste); tomato passata (tin/jar of sieved tomatoes - make sure they don;t have herbs already in them!); tomato puree; paprika; chilli powder/flakes; garlic (either fresh or groud - makes little difference as it will be in the sauce); cayenne pepper; grated cheese (you need to put some cheese in the sauce & save some for the tops of the enchiladas); tortillas (either bought, or freshly made -easy to find a good recipe through Google & dead easy to make them!)

Method:

Slice & cook-off the red onions, caramelising them to your own taste & put to one side when done;
    Slice & cook off the chicken until just getting some colour on it;
    Mix spices, tomato puree & passata together in a separate bowl & remember to keep some of this aside to top the enchiladas before putting in the oven!
    Once chicken is cooked, put onions, sauce and some of the grated cheese (remember to keep some aside!) into the pan & let simmer until the cheese has melted and thickened the sauce slightly.
    Spoon the mixture into pre-heated tortilla wraps, then fold & place onto a baking tray.
    Top with the remainder of the sauce mix & cheese, then pop in the oven for about 12 minutes on 180-200C.

Enjoy! :D