What is your favorite game series?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Kass-, May 28, 2015.

1. Kass-

Kass- New Member

Mine is probably torn between Dragon Age and the Fable series right now. I haven't played Dragon Age in a while, but I've recently been playing a lot of Fable. So, yeah, what game series have you enjoyed the most?

2. O_Wright

O_Wright New Member

For me, my favorite video game series has to be Fallout or Grand Theft Auto.

GTA. The world famous action game that has taken the world by storm.
    Whether it was back in the days of San Andreas (the best) or current day and GTA 5 we have all played a GTA game and appreciate the time and effort the games have taken to be made. Truly an incredible franchise. The hefty price tag however does bring the game down slightly but frankly who cares? It's GTA.
    Fallout. My oh my. This franchise maybe my favorite.
    • The limitless possibilities
    • Number of DLC
    • Choices made and decided by the character
    All of the above are miniscule features of the Fallout franchise, not to mention the quadrillions of hours this franchise has taken from my life. What a game!

Noteable Mentions
    Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time is the best game I have ever played.
    FIFA

LaizureBoy likes this.
  3. Oddball

Oddball New Member

As far as the series above go, I haven't ever really been a fan of GTA, or any of the clones. I got Watch Dogs because it seemed like a cool clone that I might enjoy but it quickly got boring for me. Assassin's Creed was fun for a while but I had a hard time keeping up with the games they were spitting out.
    My favorite series is a bit of a tie, and an awkward one at that: I am a huge fan of Kirby games, in all their easiness and simplicity-- but I am also a huge fan of the Silent Hill franchise (even though they just cancelled Silent Hills). Those and Amnesia, but there are only two of those out so far so I'll hold off on claiming them as my favorite. Horror games are my go-to, but I like to unwind and play simply Nintendo games from time to time. Something that isn't difficult, but is equally as rewarding.
    I'm also a huge fan of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games, but most any fantasy or sci-fi game can win in my book. Surprised no one has come in here proclaiming love for the Elder Scrolls series!

4. supersentai69

supersentai69 New Member

Final Fantasy 7 was the game that changed my vision of videogames, the story is amazing, the setting of the world, when i listen the music it give me chills, i travel to the past. When i finished FF7 i just can't help it but play FF6, i hope FF15 could rise the bar again.

5. AngelElfie

AngelElfie New Member

I can't agree more with @supersentai69. My favorite video game series, hands down, is Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy 6 was my first game actually, and I loved everything about it. The characters are always so real, I like the fact that they put so much effort into their characters' backstory, making them relate-able in a fictional world, and having such an amazing environment to go with it, is just a recipe for success. I didn't like where the series was going on Final Fantasy 13, they tried changing the normal battle system that we loved into something that didn't require strategy, and what's worse is that they kept it for the rest of the spin offs in that installment. I was disappointed when playing it. I really admire the fact that they try to change it up, like with Final Fantasy 12. Overall, this series is flawless; the BGM (background music), characters, story, battle system, environment is perfect. I am looking forward to Final Fantasy 15, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of the battle system that it offers, but we'll see if my feelings would change after playing it!

6. Brit333

Brit333 New Member

GTA will always be a great ongoing series, But my personal favorite game series of all time is Silent Hill. The very first game I played in the series was Silent Hill 2. I was never really into horror games but this is the one that got me hooked! The ambiance in the games are really spooky. The older games of this series in my opinion are just as scary as the newer ones. There was going to be a brand new Silent Hill game coming out for the PS4 but that had just recently been cancelled. I am truly devastated to find this out considering the playable teaser they had released on the Play Store had been unlike any other scary gaming experience I've ever had. The graphics were very realistic looking and the monsters look just as crazy as ever. If your looking for a scary puzzle game that really gets you thinking, the Silent Hill game series is the way to go 100%.

7. fatguy39

fatguy39 New Member

Mine would be the Final Fantasy series. I've played it ever since when Final Fantasy IV was still branded as II in the US. A lot has changed since Final Fantasy IX, but I'm still interested. When games with decent plots were still hard to find before, the Final Fantasy series was a nice refuge for me. Final Fantasy IV was enough to get me hooked in the series. It's story nowadays it too cliche, but back then, it was something else, and the amount of content it has as well as what it offers compared to RPGs back in the days was out of the question, the best. It continued on of course. The fan-favorite Final Fantasy VII and the like for example. My two most favorites would be Final Fantasy VI and IX though, with Final Fantasy IX only able to show its full glory if you are familiar with the earlier ones.

If you are interested, try looking for the Final Fantasy Retrospective in YouTube. It was originally compiled by Game Trailers, and offers a nice look of all the Final Fantasy games in detail (up to XII at least). It's comprised of 12 episodes, and is a pretty nice thing to learn about it.

8. fatguy39

fatguy39 New Member

Mine would be the Final Fantasy series. I've played it ever since when Final Fantasy IV was still branded as II in the US. A lot has changed since Final Fantasy IX, but I'm still interested. When games with decent plots were still hard to find before, the Final Fantasy series was a nice refuge for me. Final Fantasy IV was enough to get me hooked in the series. It's story nowadays it too cliche, but back then, it was something else, and the amount of content it has as well as what it offers compared to RPGs back in the days was out of the question, the best. It continued on of course. The fan-favorite Final Fantasy VII and the like for example. My two most favorites would be Final Fantasy VI and IX though, with Final Fantasy IX only able to show its full glory if you are familiar with the earlier ones.

If you are interested, try looking for the Final Fantasy Retrospective in YouTube. It was originally compiled by Game Trailers, and offers a nice look of all the Final Fantasy games in detail (up to XII at least). It's comprised of 12 episodes, and is a pretty nice thing to learn about it.

9. zachary j altstadt

zachary j altstadt New Member

It used to be Resident Evil... But then the creators ruined it all...
    So I moved to Final Fantasy series... but then again, the creators ruined it all...
    My love for Survival horror and RPG make me a fan of Parasite Eves, but then again...

So whats left?

-Demons-Dark Souls Series
    -KoF Series
    -Maybe Silent Hill Series... (can it be called series today?)

10. Xdexa

Xdexa New Member

ven though I like RPGs like Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Witcher 3, I'd have to go with Grand Theft Auto series. I have played GTA since London 1969 and all of the games are really solid. All of the games have had really good stories, great cities, lots of freedom, and good gameplay. GTA San Andreas was my favorite. GTA 4 was a huge disappointment, but I guess it was an okay game. Elder Scrolls, Demon/Dark Souls, and Halo series are a close second.

11. Alucard0

Alucard0 New Member

I actually have two favorite game series and I can't decide which one is better because they are both so different.
    One is Grand Theft Auto series and the other one is Need For Speed(half of the games).
    From what I've read GTA was popular choice and it doesn't come as surprise because, well it's amazing. I feel like no one can't judge or critique any GTA because every time new game came out, there was new standard set for other games(maybe except ones before the third). Not many people now that third installment in the series was phenomenal at that time, literally no game matched up to it. Then came out Vice City and San Andres which were beautiful and unique in their on way. GTA 4 was also like the biggest thing in 2008 and now we have gta five, another masterpiece by Rockstar.
    Oh, counter-strike. Perfectly balanced, competitive shooter which was a thing for more than ten years. It's hard to call it a series when you switch games every 6 years or so. Not much to say there other than that 1.6 was THE legendary game and now CS:GO is starting to get more popular due to betting community and that it is fun to watch when others play it.

12. bennybear14

bennybear14 New Member

Call me crazy, and slightly out of the norm, but I've never played GTA or Final Fantasy. The best series, to me, is easily Gears of War. The first two were very strong in the storyline, but weak in the multiplayer areas. Then came along GOW 3 and BAM, you have the best third person shooter of all time. Action,action, action. There is so much unnoticed detail involved in this game, from Cog tags to moveable objects. The campaign, obviously, rocked and got a 10/10 star vote from me. But the real MVP is Horde mode, where 5 players work together to survive 50 waves of attack from the locust army. This to me really improved the series as a whole. Sure, the first two had Horde mode, but you couldn't buy fortifications in those. With three, money earned can be spent towards fortifications, which greatly improve the sustainability of the group as a whole.

GOW judgement had a solid campaign, and introduced a neat game mode called overrun, which allows players to be both humans and locusts. The one downside of this game is the extraction of horde mode, but the unique gameplay and improved fighting capabilities balance that out.

And coming in 2016 is the newest installment of the GOW series, known as Gears of War 4. I may have to get an Xbox One just for this... Does anyone else like this series?

13. Colin

Colin New Member

Honestly, I truly believe that the best game series is Mass Effect. While I do enjoy Battlefield (and yes, that's Battlefield, not Call of Duty, because the graphics are SO much better and more realistic), and any other occasional first-person shooter, Mass Effect is truly a world in which one can be amazed at all the different types of outcomes which could potentially occur. Yes, the ending to the third in the series was so-so, and quite a disappointment (I had actually seen it online before I got to the ending), but truly, the amazing thing was that not only did your characters save from game to game, but at the end, you could play it AGAIN and potentially get a COMPLETELY different result!

14. sheabr97

sheabr97 New Member

The MegaMan Battle Network series, as well as the Mother/Earthbound series. The gameplay in both is really unique and require a lot of strategy, and they both have fantastic storylines that I absolutely adore. Pokemon is another big one, as I've been playing it since my childhood and the games are so good. :)

15. chelsearosexo

chelsearosexo New Member

I would have to say the BioShock series is my all time favorite video game series. It is beautifully made and extremely fun. I could play them over and over again and never get bored of them. Not only are they pleasing to the eye but the music is also enjoyable. It fits in well with the story and the atmosphere of the game. I like how you can run around and look for things that are hidden in places like cabinets and drawers. You can also build and upgrade certain items which makes the game more fun.

16. BlackBimmer

BlackBimmer New Member

For me, it's a race between The Assassins Creed series, The Elder Scrolls, or The Witcher. If I had to choose, I would say the Witcher. The time I've spent reading all there was to read and learn in The Witcher games surpasses that of maybe even actually playing the game. I just love the whole world environment and the "feel" of the Witcher universe. The story is (for me atleast) the best in any game ever. If you're looking for a game where you really have to plan ahead and make quick and smart decisions, then check out The Witcher. If that doesn't convince you, just look at the success of The Witcher 3.

17. antrofin

antrofin New Member

The Witcher series. The game has one of the best stories i have ever seen and it even made me buy the Sapkowski's books. A game where all of your decisions matter and a world ( like the one we live) that nothing is black and white and everything has its consequences. I love the series, its plots, character stories and the details that have been put into everything. No wonder the polish fellows are on top of the charts with Witcher 3.

18. Atul Anand

Atul Anand New Member

Uncharted without a doubt for me. It has to be one of the best story, action adventure type games I have played and the way the game looked was just stunning. The story, the characters and the visuals (again) were just amazing. I got Uncharted 2 and 3 the day it released and I am going to do the same once Uncharted 4 hits the shelves. Can't wait!

19. Gibs

Gibs New Member

I don't really know. I'll easily claim fandom of individual games, but as the Metroid series has shown me, claiming that one entire series is, always has been, and always will be better than everything else isn't really something I want to do. Clouds my judgement of quality and all that.
    Still, thus far I'd say Metroid if you exclude Other M and Hunters. You also excluded Mega Man and Donkey Kong Country and, well, a metric shitton of other stuff that should be in there. I'd say a poll was a bad idea.

LaizureBoy likes this.
  20. countgenesis

countgenesis New Member

I have to agree with most of you on GTA & Skyrim. For me, the Tony Hawk games from Pro Skater all the way until American Wasteland were life changing. Every year it was a new game with new features, and as a child it was the only game I would look forward to getting. After American Wasteland, it seemed like the beginning of the end. I'm still trying to figure out just what it was that made me lose interest. A big part of it could have been the end of GameCube releases.

Sigh. One can only dream that Nintendo will come around with the Game2ube....

21. mm117

mm117 New Member

For me this is easily the Halo series. There is so much lore and complexities that you can only really get if you play all the games and read the books, but the storyline is a lot more rewarding if you do. Besides that the gameplay is consistently entertaining and not so constant and boring like I've experienced in a lot of other shooter games. Personally a bigger fan of Halo 1, 2, and 3, but Reach was fun and I have confidence that Halo 5: Guardians will be as well(4 was ehh for me).

22. Great White

Great White New Member

I'd have to say the GTA series because of all the effort put into developing it. The story-line in the most recent game was great and they went all out hiring amazing voice actors, designers, consultants, etc. The reason the GTA series takes my number one spot is because in each game, you step into a new characters shoes, and it's as if you're living in a whole new world and in each game it's a totally new experience!

23. Cameron Ness

Cameron Ness New Member

My favourite series would have to be Age of Empires. I've never been grown bored of it in over a decade of playing, and it fills me with nostalgia. I really enjoy how no two games are the same, and the customization available in the third game, such as your own city, always appeals to me.

24. jilax

jilax New Member

Without question my favorite video game series is Mass Effect. Bioware was able to create a universe that was rich in characters, places, and history and placed you in a great story. Despite the snafu with the ending of Mass Effect 3, it remains my top series. When they released the Citadel DLC, that was reinforced for me. Through those three games, whether you realized it or not, you grew attached to the characters (your crew). I didn't realize how attached I was to those characters until that DLC. The final party with Grunt gleefully turning away guests, and Javik starting wars in the living room, all culminated in a great amount of nostalgia with the group photo at the end.

25. Leandro Lima

Leandro Lima New Member

Tough choice, but I would say the Devil May cry franchise due to it's gameplay. I was always a fan of hack and slash genres and I always felt that the series was the pinnacle of it.

26. nataliasoze

nataliasoze New Member

Tomb Raider for me! :)
    While the franchise has had its ups and downs, the game is still one of the best explorations titles ever created.

I loved entering the Egyptian tombs for the first time, swan diving off the waterfall, and playing that game that was full of complex and compelling puzzles. It also made me feel so incredibly uneasy, even though the only dangers were rats, bats and the odd tiger here and there :)

I hope the franchise goes back to its roots and forgoes the quick time events and uncharted style shooting... Not long to go before we will know for sure :)

27. Mallorymonster

Mallorymonster New Member

My favorite video game series is most likely The Bioshock Series. I've played all the games and I like the dark vibe that you get from all the games. I loved Elizabeth in the games, I actually ended up Cosplaying her from Bioshock Infinite :3, but I also love Booker. I love the Little Sisters and the way everything looks is so dark and creepy and it makes it so much more fun to play.

28. Tony Williams

Tony Williams New Member

Devil May Cry is my favorite game series by a long shot. It made me fall in love with gaming! It's changed a lot over the years but I can honestly say I enjoy the newer ones as much as the older ones.

29. UKremlin

UKremlin New Member

I gotta say there's no one series that I like the most, my personal favourites are Fallout, GTA, and pretty much all of the Paradox Dev Studio games (Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, Victoria, Crusader Kings) The PDS games are just awesome in my view just because you can never really get "bored" of them because there's just so much replayability and flavour in those games. While Fallout I love for its setting, and who doesn't love Skyrim with guns? (Some people apparently) GTA is a classic and while probably not as polished as some of the other Rockstar titles (Red Dead Redemption) it's still great fun to play.

30. Clyde Gambrel

Clyde Gambrel New Member

Age of Empires is my all time favorite game, so I am going to have to go with them. I love that fact that they remade my favorite of the series Age of Empires 2 the Conquers recently. However wish they would have taken more time to have really made a full blown expansion.