What is your favorite vegetable?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by gcel, Jul 7, 2014.

1. kay17

kay17 New Member

It's funny because up until a couple years ago, I didn't eat vegetables. My boyfriend is a huge vegetable eater and when he had me try several different types, I was in love. I would say my favorites would be a toss between carrots and asparagus. I love having carrots for dinner smothered in butter with a heavenly roast. Asparagus is amazing when it is fried in the pan with a little bit of butter or oil. I could probably eat asparagus for every meal ever day and never get tired of it. I do have to say though that it is pretty good with a nice steak.

2. Jwrite

Jwrite New Member

I agree, so hard to choose! But I guess anything from the squash family would be my first choice, and sweet corn...it seems to go with any meal :)

3. cantslowdown

cantslowdown New Member

I LOVE sweet potatoes. I did a Whole30 about two years ago and it wasn't until then that I discovered how versatile they are. I usually just microwave them and add a little salt and pepper, but I also like to roast them, put them in soups, make mashed sweet potatoes, or cut them up for some sweet potato fries. I'm actually surprised that I'm not sick of them yet.

4. powera

powera New Member

I think green beans are amazing! Just crunchy enough, quite filling and even kinda fun to eat. However, broccoli and carrots have their place as well as side dishes. It's all about the situation to be honest, its just that green beans are great in so many.

5. sandrasccr

sandrasccr New Member

My favourite vegetable is a red onion. I think they are quite versatile and easy to cook. Plus they add a whole bunch of flavour to anything they go in. I also like the vibrant colour.

6. mdrogge

mdrogge New Member

Potatoes are my favorite! They are so versatile; you can cook them in so many different ways. They're stock full of many vitamins and nutrients. And they're always so delicious!

7. CassieT

CassieT New Member

This is a rather difficult question, as I love all of my vegetables! I do have to say, though, that I love roasted brussels sprouts. Tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper, they take on a delicious and nutty flavor. I highly recommend this if you haven't already tried it!

8. Brandontw

Brandontw New Member

Cauliflower is turning out to be an unexpected favorite, because its very versatile, and makes a suitable substitute for high-carb foods like potatoes, rice, bread, and noodles.

-Makes an acceptable pizza-crust when processed into a mush and spread out.
    -Makes surprisingly good "fried rice".
    -Steamed cauliflower can hold your pasta sauces almost as good as pasta.
    -Fills out soups and stews with fiber and nutrients, and takes on the flavor of its surroundings.

One of my favorite personal cauliflower recipes is my "Crockpot Thai Red Curry Beef". It goes together as follows:

3 lbs of beef roast or stewing beef, cut into 1" cubes
    oil for pan-browning
    2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    9 carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
    1 pk mushrooms, sliced (you can use celery too, but I don't like it, so I skip it)
    2 can coconut milk
    5 Tbsp red curry paste (I like the Mae Ploy brand)
    2 Tbsp fish sauce
    cashews or peanuts and chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

Heat a bit of oil in a pot or fry pan and brown the beef cubes on all sides. Doesn't have to be perfect. Transfer the meat to the crockpot, but keep the pan handy.

Add the onions, garlic, cauliflower, carrots, and celery/mushrooms to the crockpot.

Stir it all up.

Now back to your pot/pan. Combine 1 can coconut milk, fish sauce, and curry paste. Heat on low or medium.

You want the curry paste to melt and blend into the coconut milk, but you don't want to boil the crap out of it or anything. A little heat just seems to help blend the sauce ingredients better.

Pour the sauce over the other ingredients in the crockpot.

Depending on the size and model of your crockpot/slow cooker this could take anywhere from 4 hours to 8 hours to cook on low.

When finished cooking, stir in other can of coconut milk.

9. Oniska

Oniska New Member

It's hard to pick, but if I think about my weekly grocery list, it has to be carrots. I eat about one or two pounds of carrots per week. I think they are incredibly versatile. You can have them sweet, salty, or spicy. They can be raw, grilled, boiled, baked and still taste amazing. You can make them a side dish, an appetizer, a main ingredient, or a desert. Carrots are just amazing in that way.

My favorite thing to do with carrots is to cut them julienne, sprinkle some olive or coconut oil in a pan, mix the carrots with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander seeds and a pinch of chilli, then bake them at 200 C for 20 min. It's great as a side or a snack!

10. SteadJ

SteadJ New Member

Definitely baby carrots. Just so easy to eat and then I can make some dip to go with. Longtime favourite for sure.

11. seenbyiandi

seenbyiandi New Member

My favorite vegetable is the almighty brussel sprout. They're like tiny cabbages except much, much better. My favorite method of preparing them is sauteing them in a pan with grass-fed butter and locally grown garlic, but unfortunately it's rare that I find these beloved brussel sprouts in my area of residency. I can find uhm...adulterated brussel sprouts, but one cannot consider those food!

12. bunbaka

bunbaka New Member

Just imagine if potatoes never existed. What a terrible time that would be. Potatoes can be made so many different ways, all the way to where it may not actually be viewed as a vegetable anymore, but a treat or junk food. Potato chips, french fries, hash browns, tater tots, mashed, scalloped, au gratin, baked, fried, steamed, grilled.... the possibility are endless!

I also love broccoli! The only downside to it is that most of the time when you are cooking it, it lets of a smelly odor. I mostly notice it when I am steaming it. Thank goodness it does not taste the way it smells. Delicious!

13. chemmomma10

chemmomma10 New Member

I love broccoli too! Unfortunately, my husband hates it. He says the smell bothers him. That's why I started eating it raw, but I do miss steamed broccoli. It is so yummy with some salt and pepper!

14. IcyBC

IcyBC New Member

I love all vegetables: carrot, green bean, broccoli, celery, mustard greens, collard greens, spinach, water cress, and cabbage, you name it and I will eat them all. To pick one is hard to choose. I buy these vegetables on a weekly basis, but tend to lean more on broccoli and green beans as my son is very picky when it comes to vegetables. I would rather have a plateful of vegetables or salad any time of day than anything else as far as eating goes.

15. DeEtta

DeEtta New Member

My favorite vegetable is cauliflower. Cauliflower is my choice for numerous reasons. I really enjoy steamed cauliflower all by it's self with a little salt, add some cheese and even better! Aside from it's taste cauliflower can be used as a substitute to many other unhealthy carbs. For example you can use cauliflower to replace mashed potatoes, rice, pizza crust, and many more great and health ideas.

16. selam

selam New Member

My favorite vegetable has to be potatoes. I love potatoes and latterly I could eat it every day, I like all kind of potatoes fried, baked, boiled and sautéed. There are so many ways to prepare them and very easy to make and that's why I love potatoes.

17. blues

blues New Member

A few years ago, I wasn't that huge of a vegetable fan, but now I eat a whole bunch! I like broccoli a lot, not the bushy part but the ends. I feel like not many people eat it this way but my parents made it once and I've loved it since. You just cut the ends of the broccoli stalk so that the flower shape is thick enough to not easily tear while cooking but also thin enough that the whole thing is soft and cooked with the oil/seasonings. It's sooo good! I've also gotten a hankering for sweet potatoes recently. They're super nutritious and easy to prepare: just throw it in a steamer or the oven for a few minutes and you're good to go!

18. chelseamk

chelseamk New Member

I love zucchini! It's one of my favorites for sure. There are so many things you can make with it. I eat a lot of green beans too! I prefer to buy them fresh and then cook them myself. They are much tastier that way then out of a can!

19. Laura Bean

Laura Bean New Member

My favorite vegetable is anything green. Asparagus and romaine lettuce are both staples of my diet but if I have to choose then the top spot goes to broccoli because it is so versatile in soups, stir fries, casseroles, or just raw. I have even been known to have a dinner comprised solely of a heaping plate of steamed broccoli with a bit of homemade cheese sauce on top. Delicious!

20. sameer khan

sameer khan New Member

We should eat all the vegetables because all of them have their own benefits but i love spinach because Popeye was definitely on to something. Spinach is a super food loaded with tons of nutrients in a low calorie package. Dark leafy greens like spinach are important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.

One cup of raw spinach contains 27 calories, 0.86 grams of protein, 30 milligrams of calcium, 0.81 grams of iron, 24 milligrams of magnesium, 167 milligrams of potassium, 2813 IUs of Vitamin A and 58 micrograms of folate.

21. riddlesMac

riddlesMac Member

I love roasted brussels! Get a pan, some olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, and then put them in the oven and make em crisp up. Very low call side to any protein dish. Remember, protein first, then veggies.

22. Kashawna Marshall

Kashawna Marshall New Member

I looooove peppers and onions. They just make everything taste better.

23. 4rainydays

4rainydays New Member

It's hard to pick just one! If I had to choose, maybe potatoes? Potatoes are so versatile and filling. I love making potato pancakes, mashed potatoes, french fries, baked potatoes.... Speaking of baked potatoes, there's a new store in my town that's charging $6 for a baked potato with a topping. Expensive right? The other day, the supermarket was selling 5 pounds of potatoes for $1. The potato has gone a long way from being just a "lower class food" in the old ages. Can you imagine anyone trying to sell dressed-up potatoes for $6 back then?

24. aladkins

aladkins New Member

I really love broccoli! It's interesting though, because I did not eat many vegetables when I was growing up.

25. sjs1234

sjs1234 New Member

I'm not sure why, but I really love broccoli! I think I really liked broccoli as a kid growing up because my mom would sprinkle a little cheddar cheese over it. Now I like cooking broccoli with lemon and garlic and butter. Sometimes I get kind of a craving for broccoli, a super strange feeling to have about vegetables!

26. shadowpoo

shadowpoo New Member

I love all kinds of vegetables..I would have to say My favorite vegetable is sweet potato, I love them mashed with butter :)

27. Kat R

Kat R New Member

There are so many great vegetables to choose from! I love carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, pea pods, cucumbers, and green beans. However, I would have to say my favorite vegetable is peas fresh from the garden. They are like candy! I grew up on can peas, yuck! I hated them. Then one day I tasted my first fresh pea. It was pure heaven!

28. Lithera

Lithera New Member

I would have to say that my favorite vegetable is butternut squash. I really only like it once it has been ground up though. I like it best with lots of butter and by ground up, I mean put through a food processor. The creaminess is delightful, and is almost like eating soup. It's wonderful for a cold winter day because it warms me right up! My second favorite would have to be acorn squash because of how sweet it is with butter and some brown sugar popped in the oven to bake... So good.

29. bohomama

bohomama New Member

I love so many vegetables it is hard to choose just one. That said, if I had to choose I would say the lowly beet! It tastes delicious in soups and stews or roasted in the oven or on the barbecue. My all time favorite way to cook and eat beets is: boiled until al dente , drain, add a pinch of salt and pepper, fresh garlic and butter to coat. Superb!

30. Michelle Elizabeth

Michelle Elizabeth New Member

It's a toss up really between avocados (I know they aren't technically vegetables but lets just pretend) and asparagus. I love the versatility and texture of an avocado and how it's great a condiment, side dish or main ingredient. I love the health benefits and just overall taste. But asparagus is so crisp and bright tasting...if you've never put them in the oven sprinkled with some olive oil, sea salt and Parmesan cheese you're really missing out!