What kind of milk do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Jennavive, Feb 21, 2014.

1. vandemiere92

vandemiere92 New Member

Currently, my preferred milk is Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. It's a nice alternative to cow's milk and tastes great on cereals!

2. NEpps

NEpps New Member

I used to drink 2% milk or fat free when I was young. As I got older, I started breaking out in a rash on my chin or neck, whenever I drank milk or had something made with milk. My doctor told me to switch to a non-dairy form to see if this helped. I started drinking Almond milk and Soy milk and my rash disappeared and headaches were less frequent. I would get terrible migraine headaches in my teenage years and twenties. Changing my diet helped a lot!

3. Tobi-Lynn

Tobi-Lynn New Member

I have heard about the benefits of drinking soy milk, almond milk and other types of non-dairy milks. I purchase these items on occasion but I must confess that I have always been a milk drinker. I don't see this changing any time soon. I have tried to replace white milk with soy milk by trying different brands but I always go back to milk. However, I only drink it at breakfast time. I am also a lifelong lover of chocolate milk. There was a local milk company that was producing dark chocolate milk last year that I absolutely fell in love with! However, it turns out that it wasn't a big seller so they got rid of it. Too bad! I used to drink two percent milk, then went to skim milk to cut back on the fat content. I noticed though that I drank a larger quantity of it at a sitting because it contained no fat at all and my body missed that. I think of skim milk as "colored water." It wasn't for me. So then I started drinking one percent and I have stuck with that. Now when I try two percent it tastes too rich to me. Let's face it though, fat gives beverages and food flavor which is why we like the taste of it so much!

4. Jake Annunziata

Jake Annunziata New Member

I drink different milk depending on the mood I'm in. Personally, I'm going through an almond/coconut milk phase and have been mixing in some malt flavored ovaltine. It is one fabulous combination that I encourage trying. (It's also much healthier :D)

5. mdrake001

mdrake001 New Member

Lactose intolerant here (despite my profile picture) I never did like milk even before developing this intolerance. I recommend the Silk Chocolate Soy milk or the Blue Diamond Vanilla Unsweetened Almond milk. Both are great but the Almond milk is better for you and better tasting so I would definitely recommend that one instead.

6. road2awe

road2awe New Member

A non-dairy milk is better than a dairy milk with the exception of soy-based milk. Firstly, the dairy milk is not compatible with the digestive enzymes that adults have in order to process the milk. It's only made for babies to drink. Second, soy contains the plant equivalent of estrogen, which can mess up your hormone balance. I like almond milk with different flavours, but coconut is good too.

7. Lyssi

Lyssi New Member

I prefer almond milk. I buy the silk brand. However I heard that it is really easy to make and I am going to try making it soon!

8. DavitosanX

DavitosanX New Member

I found almond milk to be my favorite. I like regular milk, but the taste of almonds is one of my favorites, and now I don't want to go back. It has no cholesterol, so there's that too. It is a bit expensive, so sometimes I do have to get regular milk, but only when the need arises.

9. ezereviews

ezereviews New Member

I am an avid drinker of semi-skimmed milk. I use it on my cereals, drink in my coffee and always have a glass before I visit the local pub for a night out!

10. hpaul09

hpaul09 New Member

Almond milk all the way! It has way more calcium than regular milk, tastes the same, and has less calories than actual milk. I had a friend who was training for a fitness competition tell me about how most mammals stop drinking milk after they are done nursing and it opened my eyes to how we consume things we may not need to. Either way I drink it for the calcium.

11. Amirah El

Amirah El New Member

I drink coconut and almond milk. Almonds have the highest source of calcium and the taste is very pleasing to me. My favorite milk is the Chocolate So Delicious Coconut Milk. It is truly addictive.

I don't drink cow's milk because I'm lactose intolerant. There risk of unwanted ingredients in cow's milk. Some of these ingredients may include hormones, allergens, fat and cholesterol. One of my favorite sites use to get updates about cow's milk is www.notmilk.com.

12. I can't handle soy anymore. I can't tell you how great I feel after giving up soymilk! I was drinking almond milk, but I don't like all the stuff they put in it to make it. I have also drank goat milk. It's SO tasty! But since it's also expensive, it's a rare treat, and I usually just make cheese out of it. Right now I'm drinking lactose free organic cows milk if I want cereal.

13. ranchdressing

ranchdressing New Member

The only kind of milk I drink these days is almond milk. I used to buy it from the supermarket but now I prefer to make my own, which is incredibly simple. Just take a bag of almonds and soak them in water overnight (to soften them) then pour them into a blender (water included) and you have yourself some homemade almond milk.

Srb1006 likes this.
  14. Srb1006

Srb1006 New Member

I love milk. Rice and almond milk though are probably my favorite kinds. I was introduced to Rice milk six years ago when we discovered my nephew was allergic to the whole world. Dairy, soy and tree nuts were among these which only left the poor child with rice milk as an option. Since he was required to drink it, the whole family kept some on hand for him. I hadn't seen him in some time and my stash was about to expire. Instead of wasting it I opted to use it and must admit it was delicious.

15. ERK

ERK New Member

I drink almond milk or raw milk. Raw milk is excellent because of all the digestive enzymes that it contains and can actually help ease any digestion difficulties. Most milk that can be purchased at the grocery stores, even organic milk, has been pasteurized which destroys these powerful enzymes. Unfortunately, it is not legal to sell raw milk in many states. I was traveling in Poland a year ago and they actually had raw milk vending machines. Personally, I think almond milk is a great choice. It has antioxidants, less fat, and less calories. It also contains vitamins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, copper, and zinc. In regard to taste, it is delicious if you enjoy nuts. You can also purchase flavored almond milk such as vanilla almond milk. All in all, if you are looking for a healthy alternative to regular milk, almond milk is a great candidate.

16. Julie Rowlett

Julie Rowlett New Member

I usually don't drink milk, as I am lactose intolerant. But for my children I buy and like Whole Milk. All the other milks just don't taste like milk, they taste like they have been watered down, at least to me anyway. So my preference is whole milk.

17. 4thelovofwrds

4thelovofwrds New Member

I drink Lactaid Milk in the purple and white carton. I cannot consume any other types of milk, reason being is I am Lactose Intolerant. Lactaid milk has been my best choice for many years now aside from being too pricey.

18. jm27

jm27 New Member

We drink raw milk. Before we had our herdshare, we purchased whole milk from a local dairy. We follow a whole foods diet and don't consume low-fat dairy products. In baking, I occasionally use almond milk since we are limited to one gallon of raw milk per week from our farmer.

19. emmygrace

emmygrace New Member

Silk Very Vanilla Soy Milk is my milk of choice. I am lactose sensitive so that was the initial reason for starting to drink soy milk. Silk soy milk has 50% more calcium than milk. A down side of soy milk is that my doctor advised me not drink soy while trying to get pregnant and during pregnancy and breast feeding. On that same note, I do know other doctors that are not concerned about soy milk consumption during pregnancy.

20. BradVermont

BradVermont New Member

Yum, I'm on the fence about alternative milks but some of your posts have really convinced me. I was oblivious to the fact that there's coconut milk. That sounds amazingly refreshing. And chocolate almond milk sounds like the biggest cheat for a milk intake ever LOL

21. NMB

NMB New Member

Shout out to all of you almond milk fans! I am with you. Almond milk is the best substitute for dairy, and the added health benefits are incredible. I started drinking almond milk about two years ago and haven't looked back since!

22. Hazzardwolf

Hazzardwolf New Member

I mostly buy 2% dairy milk. I like whole milk once in a while but it's too rich for me to drink much of it. Skim milk is not for me, it's far too watery. Non-dairy milks are useful if you are lactose intolerant or have special dietary restrictions. Nutritionally, they aren't that great. I'll have almond or soy milk in my coffee now and then, but I wouldn't replace all the milk in my diet with them.

Almond milk is fairly low calorie if it isn't sweetened, but is lacking in protein and only contains significant calcium if it has been artificially added. Coconut milk and rice milk are both really low in protein and calcium, and rice milk is just packed with carbs. Soy milk is the closest to cow's milk in protein and calcium, but it is also a common food allergen and when consumed in excess can change your body's natural hormone levels.

23. chrystalou

chrystalou New Member

After following a health food link, I was surprised to find out that pure cow's milk is much more wholesome than reduced fat milk, so I stopped the skimmed and low-fat milk and bought full-cream instead. Almond milk is expensive here, plus many versions are chucked full with preservatives, artificial sweeteners and other additives that make them less healthful. I myself use milk more in food preparation, I drink it cold sometimes, hot with my coffee occasionally and with my cereal whenever I do cereal.

24. Tawanna Morant

Tawanna Morant New Member

A long time ago I used to drink whole milk, and then I wanted to change some things with my health and make better choices so I decided to start with changing my milk. 5 years ago I went from whole milk to 2% milk, and I started to drink that for a while and then I went to 1% milk. I have been drinking 1% milk for the past 3 years and that is what I prefer to drink, and I have noticed that my stomach does not cramp and I don't have any issues so I am glad that I made the change.

25. MLMoonFace

MLMoonFace New Member

I am vegan so I exclusively use non-dairy milks, generally for cooking and smoothies, not for drinking out of a glass. Of course, chocolate almond milk is an exception! Unsweetened almond milk is my favorite to use for most things. I'll use coconut milk for curries and soy milk if I have no choice. I try to keep my soy intake low, however, to avoid the GMO controversy.

26. Phoenix_indy

Phoenix_indy New Member

When I can, I drink milk straight from the cow, that's right Raw milk. Right now, you might be having an immediate reaction...you might be thinking that is crazy and be asking why would someone drink Raw milk, isn't bad for you? This is a common response and I am used to it. The truth is Raw milk is not pasteurized. It is full of vitamins A, B, C (including B) and it contains the enzyme IgG. When I started drinking Raw milk I was surprised at how much healthier I felt. I have more energy and if I put Raw milk in my breakfast cereal, I honestly feel like my breakfast sustains me for a longer period of time. But don't take my word on it, do the research, there is reported health benefits to drinking Raw milk.

27. codale

codale New Member

I've never tried almond milk. Maybe that's something I'll have to add to my grocery list. I normally by whole milk for my two kids, and that's what I end up drinking. Once in a blue moon I will buy soy milk. I drank that early in my pregnancy and for a few weeks after I gave birth. My doctor suggested it to help with night sweats due to my hormones changing so quickly.

28. lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach New Member

Almond milk has a nice flavor and I love soy "nog" at Christmas, but you can't beat cow's milk for protein and calcium. Some of the alternative milks add calcium and other vitamins, but calcium from the original dairy source is more bio-available (easily absorbed by your body). I've also read that your dairy should include fat. The fat helps your body absorb the fat-soluble vitamins like A and D.

29. Kate McKelvey

Kate McKelvey New Member

Almond milk is by far my favorite. There are so many differing opinions on dairy and whether or not to consume it, and plenty of supporting research on both sides. I personally prefer to be dairy-free, but regardless of your reason for trying it, it's just delicious! Califia Farms makes a great unsweetened version, with minimal additives. For anyone who's an avid almond milk drinker, have you tried making your own? Add 1 cup of raw almonds and 3 cups of water to a blender, blend until it's smooth, then strain it. Easy, additive-free and super yummy!

30. Gulloev

Gulloev New Member

I love coconut milk. It works wonders for those who are lactose intolerant.
    The vanilla flavoring added to the milk enhances most cereals. It is great for the skin, and it's an allround excellent healthy choice