What makes a good copywriter?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by mpros1, Oct 29, 2018.

1. mpros1

mpros1 New Member

To start off, I have virtually no experience at copywriting and couldn't market the best invention in the world to save my life. I am, however, curious as to what you all think is effective copywriting?

Is it an emphasis on a catchy headline? Or is it more effective to have brute-force, all caps, 24pt bolded fonts all in red? Or does it depend on the circumstance?

I don't intend to make a career out of this, but I think it could be a useful skill to have in today's world. My understanding is that more and more people are becoming desensitised to online marketing tactics, which places ever more emphasis on standing out.

2. TOMSHANJ

TOMSHANJ Member

TODAY AM GOING TO TELL YOU THINGS THAT MAKE A GOOD COPYWRITER
    1-GOOD READER; READ EVERYTHING BEFORE COPYWRITING TO AVOID MAKING UNNECESSARY MISTAKES
    2-TRY TO FIND SENSE IN THE WRITTEN STATEMENTS
    3-MAKE CHANGES WHERE NECESSARY
    4-MIND YOUR GRAMMER
    5-AVOID REPEATING WORDS
    WITH THE ABOVE YOU ARE GOOD TO GO

3. chiel2330

chiel2330 New Member

If you’ve ever shopped for a copy writer, whether on a freelance or employee basis, you know how hard it can be to choose one.

After all, while good copy writing is not an esoteric art, it’s also not common knowledge.

What you should be thinking about, once you approve a copy writer’s portfolio, is chemistry. You need to “click” with him or her, particularly if the project requires back-and-forth collaboration.

Nothing… well, almost nothing hurts a project’s outcome more than dislike or disapproval of the person you’ve hired to do a job.

Personal chemistry is — naturally — subjective. It’s also a two-way street. Although I don’t know you obviously, I can help you by sharing the traits ALL good copy writers have. By knowing what to look for, the selection process will be a lot easier for you.

It’s essential that the copy writer you hire have all five of these traits. If he or she is missing even one, you’ll run into problems down the line. So in the early stages of exploration, when you’re getting to know a copy writer — in-person, on the phone, over email — ask questions that’ll flush them out.

4. Var

Var New Member

First and foremost, what comes before writing is observing the people you write for, and you do not do it when a job shows up, it's in the nature of a good copywriter to be observant and to have a sense of what moves people. A good copywriter is also a good consumer or at least can step into the shoes of one.

Secondly, a good copywriter has the ability to spin the mundane around and make it interesting. That is exactly what's going to encourage the audience to read about an ad that sells something as boring as a detergent bar.

Third, the ability to say the most in the least possible words. After all, the advertising media in expensive.

Fourth, a good command over language.

Fifth, good attitude to understand and listen to the client's problem.

There must be more, but these are all that come to my mind.

Cheers!