What makes a great song; lyrics or beats

Discussion in 'Music' started by Atenya, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Atenya

Atenya New Member

This question has been around for ages but I really wanted to share my view and get some feedback. I think that it all depends on audience and occasion. For example beats matter more in a club banger song whereas in a love song the lyrics matter more.

This can be seen clearly when comparing songs from artists like Migos , whose songs mostly gain fame for their beats and rhyme , and songs from someone like Ed Sheeran , where the popularity is gained from the lyrics and smooth use of words to pass his message.

Anyway that is all I wanted to say feel free to add your own opinion on the matter. P.S I am personally a fan of songs that focus more on lyrics than beats. Bye

2. KMG666

KMG666 New Member

I think it depends on the mood you're in because I read on some article that if you are happy you tend to gravitate to the Beat of the music and much to the lyrics but when you are sad you tend the listen closely the lyrics of the song which in my experience is very true.

3. illuminniall

illuminniall New Member

I would have to say the beat matters more in the making of a great song. Sometimes people just tend to enjoy what they hear and they don't really pay attention to what message is being delivered. One example is "pumped up kicks" by Foster the People. The beat caught my attention first, before I realized what the song was really about and it's the same for most of the first time listeners of the song.

But other times, some lyrics are just way too controversial to be ignored, you end up not enjoying the song despite it having a great beat because the lyrics just ruin it all for you. A song is composed of a group of words and rhythm, and both have its purpose and is equally important. What truly makes a great song is if the lyrics and beat actually compliment each, rather than enjoying the half part of what is suppose to be enjoyed as a whole.

4. Shainnahernandez

Shainnahernandez New Member

I think it's a tie between both. One reason is because with a great beat, but terrible lyrics would make a bad song in my opinion. Also amazing lyrics but a bad beat doesn't quite make a well made song either. So I would not be able to choose between the both. In my opinoopboth are equally important

5. jsales

jsales New Member

Both. They have to be both good before I could enjoy and repeat listening to it over and over.

6. Andrijana15

Andrijana15 New Member

I think that both the lyrics and the beats MUST be great. If the lyrics are great, but the beats are not, it's kinda disappointing. Also, when the beats are cool, but the lyrics are not, you want to dance and sing, but you're like 'I'll just pretend that I don't know the lyrics'. Disappointing - again. What I mean is, the lyrics and the beats must feel each other, they must belong together. That's why they both have to be great in the same way.

7. ewi102

ewi102 Member

it depends how you felt when you heard the music.some great music dont have good melody but a catchy lyrics and some have great melodies.

8. mateusredfield

mateusredfield New Member

The Beats complement the lyrics. Sometimes few instrumental is enough but the vocal, lyrics and beats together are incredible. For me lyrics are the most important, but a song can be a mega hit regardless of whether it has a good beat or a good lyrics.

9. subhan456f

subhan456f Member

I’m into music as I have stated in previous postings and this is one subject I’ve done research on for starters and too what I have noticed. So here we go what makes a hit is basically what your asking: The singer, the tune, the recording studio, exposure of him/her. Elvis stated the song has’t to have hooks, what he meant by this term you hear that song then the rest of the day you’re either humming it wanting to buy that recording and you just can’t get the song (tune) out of your mind. This why Elvis, Beatles, Roy Orbison and I could go on and on why they were so popular it takes all of these factors.

10. snowvocaine

snowvocaine New Member

Personally, what I have always noticed first when I find a song that I like is the way it sounds. It's really important, I guess-- its catchiness, since songs don't always have meaningful lyrics anyway, or lyrics in a language you can understand, or any lyrics at all. I believe that sounds, even only a collection of beats and unaccompanied by words, has the ability to evoke certain emotions from a person and it's powerful in this sense.

Although I think that people are able to relate to a song more when they hear its lyrics, which is how it works for me sometimes as well, it's really the beat that overpowers the lyrics. Most of the time, I put songs in a playlist depending on the mood that they're perfect for-- regardless of the lyrics.

So, to sum it up, I think it's the beat that makes a great song for the reason that it can make you feel a certain way even without containing any lyrics.

11. ctemple85

ctemple85 New Member

It's the beat that makes a song good, the words are important as well, but with a good drumbeat added to other instruments playing the same song, nothing could go wrong.

12. revismatt78

revismatt78 New Member

The "beat" (or the instrumentation, if you're old like me) is typically the aspect of a song that catches the listener's attention; However, crafty, identifiable lyrics can turn a lackadaisical listener into a faithful fan. From a marketing perspective, the beat is definitely important, since it is usually the first part of a song you will hear, but a catchy lyrical hook can be just as infectious.
    In the end, every song has a different dynamic, and the writing dictates whether it's the beat or the flow that stands out the most.

13. sallyjean08

sallyjean08 New Member

For me, what makes a song great is the combination of both beats and lyrics.
    The beat gives the impact of the lyrics.
    while the lyrics portray the message of the writer.

14. Celsojay

Celsojay New Member

To make a great song just put love Purity and dedication don't use malicious words just because it's sound good you will put it the song that's very wrong, you know playing music will affect children always if you let them listen to it it would be probably bad idea.

15. bayinnah12

bayinnah12 New Member

It depends on what frequency you are on. The type of music I enjoy now has changed from when I was younger. I used to like the top hits because that's all I experienced. Once I got into jazz and classical music then my ears and my mind changed. Music or sound for me is a thing of beauty in tune with lifes ups and downs, it can be the best thing at the worst of times. It can make one fall in love and break a heart. Its an art and is presented in so many ways depending on the artists and those who are in tune with his or her "music". The best music captures the audience in its rapture and conveys feeling whether instrumental or in words.

16. SaimaElas

SaimaElas Member

For me its the beat of the music. Sometimes i cant understand what they are saying in the lyrics but because the beat what good it makes me like that music

17. bnnyjhnn

bnnyjhnn Member

Actually, both are important to make good music. The beat and the lyrics should sync well to each other so that their connection will bring out a good vibe in a whole song. The actually depend on each other so they should really be worked up together in order to produce a bop music.

18. Fatmasong

Fatmasong Member

I believe the lyrics of a song is everything. There are many songs which may have good beat but the lyrics are what made it popular

19. opossumway

opossumway New Member

it depends on what genre the music is. genres like country or rap are more lyric-based, while techno and jazz don't use vocals at all.

20. lilzhou

lilzhou New Member

I think it depends. If it's a dance-y or hype up song, beats definitely matter because they carry the energy. However, when you're using music as a therapeutic measure or to feel understood, I've found that lyrics are what draws me to certain songs and not others.

21. ImNoStalgia

ImNoStalgia New Member

For me, I like a soft rhythm for music. I like lyrics, which specifically build up emotions or creates somewhat like storytelling.

22. Efrvme420

Efrvme420 New Member

Depending on genre actually, because for EDM, it's basically the beats. For RNB great lyrics, composition and beats. But all great songs are usually composed of both.

23. GaryNewman

GaryNewman Member

Lyrics to me are what make the bulk of the song. Maybe many would like a catchy beat, and that's what would get played on the radio and become famous, but the true songs that would stick out for me are the ones that have meaningful lyrics. It doesn't have to be famous or anything, but if it gets to me because of the lyrics, those are memorable to me.

24. Dijwar

Dijwar Member

I chose beat, I have always been someone who could care less about the lyric, What really matters is the sound of music. When you start to listen to music by sound, it can be weird at first to not listen to the lyrics.

25. Biisting

Biisting Member

Beats is the key to good music.The importance of the beats is that it makes the song to be so catchy and more attractive to the ear .Some songs have got great lyrics but the beats are poor making the songs to be whack but the vice versa is not the same.