What motivates you to exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by paigeswan, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Janthea

Janthea New Member

I exercise for three reasons, to keep fit and supple, to keep my weight within the range for my height and body type and for my own enjoyment.
    I am well into my sixties and want to keep active for as long as I can.
    I walk my dog for an hour every day whatever the weather. I enjoy the fresh air and watching the change of the seasons while I'm doing this.
    Exercising gives me more energy and I often feel like jogging home after my philates classs.
    Our bodies were made for movement, and I intend to keep moving mind for as long as possible.

2. Jerms

Jerms New Member

This is going to sound extremely weird but what really motivates me to work out and exercise is the soreness that comes after a workout. The day after heavy lifting or a long run usually builds up some lactic acid in our muscles. That feeling, to me at least, shows that what I did is altering my body in a good way. It's making me a healthier individual. Even though it may be harder for me to work out the next time due to my soreness, I'll know that what I'm doing is actually working!

3. Cass_1200

Cass_1200 New Member

What motivates me to exercise? I would say that life itself does. I know it sounds really plain as an answer, but I have my reasons. I've been through a lot in life, and I've learned to appreciate every single day of my life. It's part of life, and I love being active too. I love the burn in my muscles that let me know that I'm working hard, and it's working. I just really love to be active. Although there are times that come and make me loose motivation, I just remind myself to appreciate the fact that I can spend time with nature, or that there are gyms we should be appreciative for. Another motivation that I might get is when I see all these beautiful models that are all toned and skinny. That just makes me want to get up and work out until I look good.

4. Alesio

Alesio New Member

I do parkour and it's SO FUN! I can't imagine spending an afternoon not doing it, it makes me feel light and agile and build a lot of strength in the upper body, especially when you do muscle ups. Plus, summer is coming and I wouldn't want to be ashamed of taking my shirt off at the beach.

5. nessbee

nessbee New Member

My main motivation to keep on exercising is the fact that a lot of the clothes in my wardrobe no longer fit. I have been trying on clothes today in preparation for my summer holiday and felt really disheartened afterwards.

I've only really been exercising properly for around six weeks, so it is still early days. However, it also inspired me to purchase some kettlebells so I can work out at home as well as at the gym classes. I really don't think that I'll have a flat stomach or a thigh gap before I go on holiday, but at least I'll feel a bit better about myself!

6. Bsims24

Bsims24 New Member

After a long day of work, exercise and eating right are the last things on my to do list. Nevertheless, I build up to gumption to get up and go to the gym, do a jog around the neighborhood, or see the sights on my bicycle. So what motivates me to exercise? For me, the answers are the past and the future.

In the past, I have struggled frequently with my weight. There were times when I was really heavy and there were times that I was really in shape. I look at old pictures where I was out of shape and I say to myself never again!

As for the future, I want my healthy lifestyle to be a part of my future family. In a few months, I will getting married and I can't wait to begin building a family and having children. My hope for the future is that I remain consistent in my exercising so that I could model these healthy habits to my kids.

7. KayShrade

KayShrade New Member

Nothing motivates me to exercise! I've found that I just have to schedule it and force myself to follow through. I would rather do just about anything, but I know that I need to move for my health. I have a Fitbit, and I try to take at least 7,000 steps a day. You'll often find me running circles inside my house before bedtime, trying to hit my goal!

8. Twanda Jones

Twanda Jones New Member

Personally for me my motivation comes through my mind. I just wish i could motivate my mind to want to continue on with other things. Exercise and keeping in shape for health benefits runs through my family. From my parents on down, we all have been into living healthy and getting good cardio. I would say for me its like having an ascribed behavior for me and my siblings. I also kept a picture of a person with a nice body in front of my bedroom mirror and in my mind for a long time. With this picture was an article of the exercises that she performed at times. She also did a few weights for a short period of time. She is a older woman like myself. This motivated me. Also, heart issues runs in my family and I am conciously aware of what I eat and how much cardio I get. You also may have a close friend that in your opinion is in shape, this may motivate you also, especially if he/she works out. Sometimes it just takes another person you care about to give you the boost that could help motivate you. I just feel better throughout the day when i get the workout in during the morning. Also what helps is that I know of a 4-minute exercise called the Tabata that has really help keep my weight at bay. Just knowing that its 4 minutes, I said I can do it and you can too!! Best of Luck!

9. Shanna Pentico

Shanna Pentico New Member

I set goals for myself and sign up for races so that I have to train. I am active and prefer to be outdoors so working out has never been hard for me to do. My boyfriend and I often train together which makes it more fun too!

10. Jekaterina Maslova

Jekaterina Maslova New Member

Well for me the motivation comes mostly from the way I want my body to look. I don't want to be the person that is constantly unhappy with their body image so that's why I started working out. It keeps me happy, energetic and I set my own goals in fitness. Working out also helps me to eat clean food, since I don't want to ruin all that i have accomplished by simply eating burgers and drinking soda.

11. Anna Markwart

Anna Markwart New Member

Finding motivation to exercise can be extremely hard. Especially when it a lot easier to sit on the couch and snack down on a bag of chips. I think the best way to avoid this is by thinking about the big picture. How you take care of yourself is important for your future. You need to make smart choices that have positive effects on your body rather than negative effects. In order to motivate yourself you need to think about what you want most, rather than what you want now. Would you rather be in the best shape of your life? Or would you rather snack on a bag of chips? What you want most is what motivates you.

12. abs_14

abs_14 New Member

I love the feeling I get after exercising-- the endorphin rush is absolute bliss. I know if I sit on the couch all day and don't go exercise for at least 30 minutes I'm more likely to snack on junk food and ruin an otherwise perfect day of dieting. Furthermore, the feeling I get when I don't exercise just feels gross. I love the fact that by getting up to go to the gym that I'm choosing to do what's right for my body, so letting myself sit around and do nothing all day just feels wrong. Also, 125 lbs of flab is way less attractive than 125 lbs of lean muscle, so I keep that in mind every time I would rather take a nap than move a muscle. It sounds vain, but I want to look good in what I wear!

13. Jill Ellis

Jill Ellis New Member

Exercising makes me feel happier, calmer, and less stressed. When I exercise on a regular basis, I'm just an all around better person to be around. It's totally worth it to feel better. I also find that I have the same reaction to eating super healthy. I'd almost rather eat healthy than exercise, but try to keep a good combination of both.

14. mhague15

mhague15 New Member

Excercise is something I always try to continue to do, no matter how old I get. My mother & I push each other to get up early everyday & excercise in the morning. Whether it be walking outside, running on the treadmill or doing workout videos on the tv. Excercise is important to continue to live a healthy life. My mother motivates me to excercise because I motivate her. Being able to motivate her gives me the satisfaction that I will be able to enjoy my mother for many years to come.

15. Emma Ruth Nagano

Emma Ruth Nagano New Member

Clothes, clothes, clothes!! Being able to wear a sexy outfit that defines your curves and being able to fit on jeans easily is my motivation. Don't you wanna wear that outfit that defines your abs? Of course yes!! I love crop top and skinny jeans and being able to fit on it made me happy. Also, I love bikinis but I don't have the confidence yet to wear them around people I don't know. So, that motivates me to work out. I would want to wear a sports bra so I could show my abs and I would want to wear yoga pants to defines my ass. However, I don't have those yet so I need to keep working.

16. Marc

Marc New Member

My motivation comes from a number of benefits it brings, really. Firstly, it calms me down, mentally, both during and after a workout. Secondly, I like to care care of my external appearance, as well as internal health. Finally, I really enjoy it! I might even say it's become an addiction! Albeit a healthy one. I guess this comes from the endorphin's released during strenuous exercise.

17. Jessica Flowers

Jessica Flowers New Member

I exercise so that I won't feel bad about not exercising. Ha ha!

18. dAngelo

dAngelo New Member

My motivation is pure spite. I recently visited my hometown and met up with my ex and she didn't give me the time of day. We did talk but she kept giving me mixed signals on whether she liked me or not. We didn't break up on bad terms either. We broke up because I had to move and long distance relationship is a big no no to her. So the day I leave I check my snapchat and she's all over this other guy and this on her snapchat for week now. I'm going back next year and I want to look as fit as possible and if she wants to suddenly be attracted to me again. I'll have he advantage and say no. I'm a very spiteful person and it's very stupid of me, but I'm getting my body in shape and healthier. So the way I see it is that no matter why I'm doing it, as long as I'm improving my health it's fine. That's my motivation to excersice.

19. Marchant

Marchant New Member

Hi my motivation is most of the time looking at my self and to think of where i started , and i can't throw that al away now .Then also to whats a nice vidio that motivates you and listening to some of your best songs

20. drcamacho

drcamacho New Member

My motivation level for working out is low in the beginning. I believe that once I start working out that helps motivate me to continue. Workout motivation has to come from an internal motivational source. One has to want to make a difference or feel better./I also think that there are some external factors that can contribute to the internal motivation. I think that looking better, feeling better and possibly bonding with one's significant other can contribute to the wanting to workout.

21. ljlife

ljlife New Member

This might sound really "basic", but watching Instagram videos of fitness bloggers always motivate me to exercise. I like seeing how these women incorporate fitness into their daily lives, and the results it gives. Its social media and they constantly update so I know its not some airbrush or Photoshop "healthy lifestyle". Plus in video form I can really understand technique and get inspiration for new stuff if my routine gets boring.

22. greene2

greene2 New Member

I have so many motivations!! My son is 5 and only getting faster - I need to chase him around. I also want to be around for a long long time with him and my husband. My mom has health problems that stem from being unhealthy and overweight (type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, etc), and as much as I love her I don't want to be like her. I don't want my husband to have to worry about me like my dad worries about her.

I want to look better! That is a more vain goal, but it's true! I want to wear sexier clothes, I want to feel more stable in heels, I want to wear a smaller bathing suit. I want to be able to find clothes that fit and look good easier! I want to feel better when I look in the mirror!

I want to wear those skinny jeans again from 9 years ago... and I know I can do it!

23. kixapolinar

kixapolinar New Member

Of course my crush. I need to make sure that I am beautiful in his sight so I will do everything just to keep me thin. I will exercise very hard to make attractive. I used him to motivate myself to exercise more. Every time I look in the mirror I feel hopeless because I'm not beautiful like any other girls.

24. leradj001

leradj001 Member

I put effort in excercising because of only one reason: to eat more food that I love, very contradicting right? no one can't deny that eating good food is one of the greatest wonders God has given so I really appreciate the gift so I order to eat more of my favorite food I put high priority in excercising so that I can maintain a slim, healthy body and at the same time I can indulge more in eating.

25. Tunaturkeydog

Tunaturkeydog Member

My motivation is my son as well. I want to be able to play and travel with him even when I'm already old. It is really important to maintain your health in order to become productive even at an old age. That's a long term goal.

26. wjaen13

wjaen13 New Member

We only have one life and we only get one body in a lifetime, so we have to make the most of it. Now how we treat our body depends on the person, you can treat it like a temple and take good care of it or let yourself go and not do one healthy thing to it. And I think most people will choose the first one.

Motivation is the key to drive ourselves to make a better version of ourselves. There are many ways you can motivate yourself to exercise. Some people exercise because of looks, some are in it to become healthier and some do it for their careers.

Growing up, I was always the fat kid. I would get teased because I was so fat. I think every fat kid has gone through my experience. Then as I became a young adult, I noticed that I get tired easily in just a few flights of steps in the stairs. I would sweat with just little body movement. I feel tired and sleepy even hours before the day ends. I don't have energy when waking up in the morning.

Then one day, I decided that it was enough. I need to change how my life has been going. I need to step up my game and focus on the betterment of my health. If I don't change my lifestyle, I think to myself, how early will I die. Can I live a long life with what I have today. I changed all that and started to exercise and live a healthy lifestyle. After that, I never looked back and pushed forward to because a healthier me.

27. iansilvino18

iansilvino18 Member

Having fun. Exercise should be fun. If it isn’t, try a different kind of activity that you enjoy. As long as you’re moving, it’s good for you.

28. janden02

janden02 New Member

For better health, the benefits of exercise is very compelling. Simple exercise like walking makes u feel energized. It prevent myself putting an extra lbs.

29. Isakft

Isakft Member

The only motivation I have to workout is basically looking better and feeling better for every day that comes. I am very concerned with my body, and try building it as my own little temple. I lift weights, a sport I love! But after years of training, I really can feel the addiction of just wanting to look better and bigger. I often feel like my body is way to small, and not very well exercised, which also leads to my day to day clothing choices, which often consist of a hoodie...

30. ctabat0419

ctabat0419 New Member

My motivation is myself. Think about how you will look and feel in the future. You will feel good and confident. Few years ago, I was thin. I started working out and after a few months I feel bigger, stronger and a lot more confident. I also became healthier and did not became sick too often. You just have to keep motivating yourself and be consistent.