What Skills Do You Need to be Successful at Freelance Writing?

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Jobs' started by charris927, Jan 27, 2019.

1. charris927

charris927 New Member

What specific skill set does one require to be the best freelancer they can be? Do you need to be a particularly fast typer? How do you handle time management and self-discipline? What are the worst aspects of being a freelancer? I'm curious to know all of the above!

1 person likes this.
  2. Leonard7

Leonard7 New Member

In order to succeed as a freelance writer, one needs to communicate effectively. Effective communication is also a problem-solving strategy that needs to be deployed in this freelance writing field.
    Ability to adapt fast in freelance writing is also a requirement. Adaptability is a life skill for freelance writers who aspire to succeed in their career. It requires one to willingly learn, make mistakes and learn from them and also changing your working schedule.
    Successful freelancers are the ones who manage their time in the best way possible and they are diligently fast in their doings to save time and they also prioritize with their work at hand. Nevertheless, they are also disciplined, honest and integral -they build trust and their reputation with these key life virtues which gets their clients coming back due to their great service they eventually submit back.

3. Evergreen07

Evergreen07 New Member

You need to be resourceful. You must know your trade. You must know how to communicate with the client. You must take into consideration the purpose of your composition and what are asked to be in the paper. You must know where to look for references, in case it's needed. You must accept your mistakes and take responsibility, if you are indeed in the wrong, with regards to the literary piece you have made. You must always finish and submit on or before deadline to create a good reputation. Needless to say, you paper should have a good quality content. Correct grammar, punctuations, and spellings are mandatory. Most importantly, you should not accept anything that you think is just not for you. You may think that you do not know it now but you could later just learn about it. However, there are times that you are going to be wrong, fail miserably and ruin your reputation as a writer resulting to less jobs and pay. Anyway, there are also times that it works. You should just think things carefully before jumping into a writing job.

4. AshCo

AshCo New Member

I think it's important to know a decent amount about what type of freelance writing you want to do, and what the options are. Are you looking to write blog posts for companies? If so a content writing site is a great match for that. You can write content for companies that are too busy to post their own content, but you will not get to retain the rights to those posts. You will essentially be a ghost writer for them, and your name will not go on anything you write. I've done this in the past and enjoyed the work, but eventually decided I really did want to build a portfolio and be able to attach my name to the writing I was doing.

If you're more interested in keeping your name attached with your work, as mentioned above, then you'll want to have a good grasp of what kind of articles are popular on the internet right now. Companies rarely hire freelancers to write their core pieces, so you're going to be looking at what kind of articles you can write that will drive traffic to their site. This means looking at articles that are in list form, or can seem somewhat clickbait-like at times. Being smart about what kind of articles companies like Cracked.com are looking for in their freelancers is going to be key in getting published. I've written for Cracked quite a bit and enjoyed my experiences with them, but they really do expect you to have a lot of knowledge about what is going to drive traffic. Freelance writing isn't just about the writing anymore. Having a working knowledge of SEO, and even things like analytics really becomes a key factor.

5. Ethelmm

Ethelmm New Member

Writing is fun especially if you enjoy writing stuff. However, freelance writing is just another kind of writing. It is not solely a hobby or an income generating activity. It is a hybrid of the two. To be successful in freelance writing first, you need to be self-disciplined. Staying up late writing articles, blogs and writing other contents requires you to be focussed and well disciplined. Secondly, you need to be time conscious. Clients want a freelancer who can deliver within their time frame as agreed.

6. lychee842

lychee842 New Member

Writing is fun if writing is your passion you can make some piece that is very quirky to others. and the most important thing is put your heart in your piece

7. evequicho

evequicho Member

To be a good writer, one must have the skills. Talking about skills, these are things that can be practiced for you to be good at it. So, in order for me to improve my writing skills, I have to learn about English grammar and vocabulary specifically, since it is our second language and known globally. Another one, you must love reading. Reading books, magazines, blogs, posts and journals nurture our brain for ideas and imagination. Lastly, the secret ingredient is your passion and commitment in writing. Without a doubt, having all these, you can become a good writer.

8. Allanjohn30

Allanjohn30 Member

Writing is one of the best jobs that we can work with. It is really fun and interesting especially if we love what we are doing. To be an effective writer, acquiring skills are very important, such as reading skills, communication skills, grammar skills and more. We can acquire them and use in writing by reading educational materials, knowing and understanding our target audience, learning from basic to advance English courses (for international content), and evaluating ourselves.

There are many skills that we need to be an effective writer, but in my own idea, knowing the skills about yourself is the first best option because you are expected to evaluate the things that you can and improve the things that you cannot. I think going back to the basic always will help you reach the advance skills in writing and be an effective writer.

9. Georgeliner

Georgeliner Member

I need writing skills,understanding and how to connect ideas into onw thing.

10. snesz08

snesz08 Member

For me, You must have writing skills, communicate effectively. you will trade you self to get clients. find out what scope of work you want to work with and create content to make yourself known. you must have both good writing and speaking English.

11. Rexcydlp

Rexcydlp New Member

To be a successful freelance writer, you need more than just sound writing skills. Freelancing, after all, essentially involves running your own small business. You're not just doing your writing work; you're also managing all the other bits and pieces yourself – from invoices and payments to marketing and networking.
    It all sounds a bit overwhelming, but don't worry! With a little extra work and a bit of experience, you'll become the self-employed all-rounder you need to be to succeed.
    Here are a few skills you should acquire or brush up on in order to make the most of your freelance writing career.

1. Accounting And Business Management Skills
    2. Time Management And Organisation Skills
    3. Editing Skills
    4. Networking Skills
    5. Marketing Skills

12. mghica035

mghica035 New Member

I think the two main necessary characteristics are actually of a very paradoxical nature.
    In one hand, you need to be extremely dynamic and creative, because you will be faced with tasks and requests that require you to think about things you never really gave much thought before, or in ways you never considered doing before. And, of course, if you want to be productive, you need to do that in a very fast way and start typing away something good and lively as soon as possible. Even if most people are not able to judge a text rationally, they can intuit that something that is uninspired, lifeless and forced.
    But, on the other hand, given the extremely commercial nature of most work you will find, you also need to be very aware of what gets people's attention, what is considered professional and engaging according to what is trending at the moment. And that is, of course, very reductive and, let's face it, quite often boring and monotonous. Getting too creative and breaking even slightly, or even not being aware enough, of what most clients expect, will not let you go very far.
    So, personally and according to my experience, finding the way to balance these two, almost opposite, factors will require a good deal of training and even re-attuning, reshaping the way your mind works usually.

13. starheart

starheart New Member

For me freelance writing is not just about skills. Its about passion and determination in everything that we do. If we are passionate of what we're doing we won't notice that we're actually working because we just enjoyed it. Even if you don't have that kind of skills you could be a freelance writer as long as you know how to express yourself to different issues. Freelance writing is for everyone.

14. nheilm2020

nheilm2020 Member

Basically, to become a successful freelance writer online, you must possess a strong foundation in writing skills, (grammar and structure) knowledge on styles of writing, and its technicalities. Having all these 3 basic but crucial weapons, I'm pretty sure, you would become a victorious freelance writer.

15. glenda18

glenda18 New Member

Freelance writing is a viable avenue that can be used to earn consistent income if you’re proficient in writing any type of web content. Many established freelance writers make up to 6 figures every year engaging in this lucrative writing venture. With hundreds of freelance platforms now on the internet, you can be in touch with a client after a few clicks.

Gone are the days when writing prowess is all you need to complete freelance writing tasks. The evolution of the internet has resulted in the need to acquire other skills if you want a lasting freelance career.

16. splendour12

splendour12 New Member

We frequently talk about how many things are needed to be fruitful as a freelancer, but we seldom say which precisely, mostly because they really are a lot. Everybody who has tried out being a freelancer for at slightest a year or two, knows just how enormous the obligatory skill set can be. For those of you thoughtful about going into freelancing and wonder what they could do to grow their chances of accomplishment, here are some skills you are going to need

Determination

Not losing hope and being patient is definitely a must – whether you’re hunting for the next freelance project, waiting for clients to respond, trying to expand your network or working on a mainly weighty task, you have to learn to keep at it until you accomplish your aim.

Self-confidence

All freelancers need to have self-confidence in what you can do and your skills. If you don’t have faith in in yourself, potential clients won’t either. Confidence is not given and can definitely be learned by doing your job to the best of your abilities and being able to realize what you have accomplished so far.

Selling your concepts

Making others believe that they need your services is vital when you’re your own boss and completely responsible for your income every month.

Additionally, you need to be able to do that in a small period of time, whether that’s through writing, through your website, or face to face. Potential clients will go through a number of freelancers and you need the ability to make an impact quickly in order to keep their attention on you and your services.

Time Management

Being able to generate schedules and, most importantly, keep them, will decide how well your business does. Freelancing is unlike from working in an office environment – nobody will check in on you leading to much less external pressure. You’ll have to find out what works for keeping you motivated and keep your schedule organized with least delay.

Freelancers not only need to manage their own time and assignment on a weekly basis, but you should also be able to picture a lasting goal for the path you want your business to go in.

Well-organized interaction

You are going to need to converse a lot, mainly with clients. And it has to be done professionally. You should be able to carry in a short and detailed fashion what precisely you can offer and under which circumstances. On the other hand, you need to comprehend why the other side communicates in a certain way. This involves reading between the lines, recognizing red flags and understanding client anticipations.

Desire to learn

Nearly every freelancing field is tremendously dynamic. The game rules can change in a matter of months. It is your accountability to continuously improve yourself and learn new important skills that will keep your services up-to-date and alluring to new clients.

Controlling stress

Stress and fatigue are easy to wave off if you’re not currently in a comparable situation, but they can be a real challenge. Keeping a clear head and not overworking yourself will be one of the determining aspects in whether your business stays buoyant after the first several months.

17. Teachergeorge

Teachergeorge Member

Different online jobs require various skills. In Academic writing, one require to have language, computer and sometimes analytical skills or research knowledge. Data entry require language, Microsoft office skills while Content, Ghost, Copy-write writing needs a person to first undertake online course before signing up. Lastly, transcribing and translation require good listening and typing skills then mastery of the language. Each company will train a new member before assignments. Most websites conduct a test so as to assess the capability of an individual.