What songs did you grow up with?

Discussion in 'Music' started by ibce, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ibce

ibce New Member

Does anyone want to share their favorite songs or artists from their childhood?
    I've rediscovered two artists that I loved when I was 10-15 this summer and had a quite long nostalgic trip.
    Anyone else willing to have one too? :D

adrimora likes this.
  2. adrimora

adrimora New Member

Wow, great question! Now you have me racking my brain for any artists that I used to love as a kid. I was a kid in the 90's so I'm going to throw some obvious 90's names out here: Spice Girls, Britney Spears, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, S Club 7 (They had at least one good song!), 98 Degrees, Sisqo (LOL), and too many others to name! haha

There are just way too many people I loved but after naming all of them I am beginning to remember how cheesy the 90's were. LOL

Thanks for the brief trip down memory lane! Off to download some oldies now! haha :cool:

3. ibce

ibce New Member

I'm a bit younger, so I grew up in the 00's and I'm from Europe, so I was glued to the German TV-stations.
    Damn, I don't even know all of the names you named!
    I used to love Christina Stürmer and Rosenstolz :rolleyes:
    And Sido, an aggro-rapper also from Germany *blushes furiously and runs away*

4. adrimora

adrimora New Member

Wow, look at that! Don't be embarrassed, I don't know any of the artists you named either. I'll tell you what though, you look some up that I named and tell me what you think! lol :thumbsup:

5. MikeSki

MikeSki New Member

If I were to hear a song that I grew up with today that I'll get up and start dancing to probably would be "Trailer Load of Girls" by Shabba Ranks.

6. laksida

laksida New Member

Didn't really listen to music, only when i was 9 i started to listen to rap music. Such as lil wayn, emimen.

7. smckee

smckee New Member

When I was a little kid, I remember listening mostly to my mom's favorites. Queen, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Meatloaf (who I called Hamburger), Pat Benatar, and Heart were some of her favorites. I still listen to them today. As a teen, I was more into rap, hip hop and pop music, but as I got older my interests changed. Now, I listen to a little of everything. I just remarked to my hubby the other day that we listen to the same music that our sons will probably like. At six and two they are not quite listening to their own selections yet. :D

8. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords New Member

I was an odd duck. My uncle gave me my first CDs and they were such an eclectic mix: a Mozart CD, Tanya Tucker's Two Sparrows in a Hurricane CD, Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell II, a Beethoven CD, and Michael Jackson's Thriller. I loved them all, really one of the best gifts I've ever received.

9. livetoerr

livetoerr New Member

Since I was born in the late 70s, I consider myself an 80s baby. However, my parents still listen to late 50s/early 60s so that's what I grew up on. In the late 90s I started listening to heavy metal and then mellowed out a bit. I currently listen to hard rock from the 2000s on.

10. Tina_Joanne

Tina_Joanne New Member

Fantastic thread! =)

My musical personality is a little schizophrenic. I listened to all sorts of 50s and 60s artists with my dad - mostly Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash, both of whom I still adore and listen to constantly. He also introduced me to the Everly Brothers, Billy Joel and (of course) Elvis. Not quite so keen on them, anymore, but I still enjoy putting them on an taking a trip down memory lane.

At around fourteen, I started listening to more Canadian music - Blue Rodeo, Bryan Adams, The Tragically Hip. Blue Rodeo is still on my iPod; I'm over Adams and the Hip. But my favourite band of all time, the loves of my life, are the boys of Moxy Fruvous.

Don't laugh. To this day, Fruvous is one of the smartest, funniest, most talented and versatile bands to come out of Canada in the last two decades. I will fight you on this. ;) Just search them on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to Bargainville. ;)

11. paperkool2

paperkool2 New Member

I remember the Isley Brothers doing "Twist and Shout" many years before the Beatles attempted it. We used to play the 45 rpm record, until the groove were worn out. Then we had to get another copy. The song was mad crazy rhythmical and everybody liked dancing to it. They used to scream in key and go wild on the record. It was like an escape from reality listening to them.

12. ebby23

ebby23 New Member

My choice of music as I was growing up was a weird combination of genres. I was a 90's baby so the music I listened to then were the popular artist in the late 90s/early 00s. I was a huge NSYNC and Backstreet Boys fan. I listened to Destiny's Child a lot also. My favorite rapper then was Bow Wow, Lil' Romeo and Aaron Carter. Time has changed because now my music choices are the complete opposite.

13. Vrinda

Vrinda New Member

The Vengaboys were definitely a favourite of mine! Whenever the video for 'Vengabus' came on TV, I would literally get up from my seat and start dancing. I loved S Club 7 and The Spice Girls as well.