What was the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Books' started by hoypete, Jul 13, 2017.

1. hoypete

hoypete New Member

We all at more than one point in our life laid hands on a book to read. The purpose in which we read differs. It could be for leisure,academic purpose,research purpose and so on.
    Whatever reason we find ourselves reading though differs but it's still for the purpose of amassing knowledge and enlightening ourselves more.
    What was the last book you read?
    Is it a fiction or a non-fictional book?
    Who wrote the last book you read and for what purpose did you engage in the reading of the book?

2. Alice Carteleu

Alice Carteleu New Member

The last book I read was Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven. It's a non-fictional book. I started to read this book because the topic (about college students) seemed interesting to me and easy to identify with. Also the book was really nice from the outside and the introduction was unlike any book I've read.

3. hoypete

hoypete New Member

I will be willing to lay my hand on the piece soonest.:)

4. cnote

cnote New Member

The last book i read was think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill he developed a 13 step formula to help one identify your goals, master the secret of true and lasting success, join the ranks of the super-successful, obtain whatever you want in life.
    In this mordern age succesful people such as Bill Gate, Steven Spielberg exemplifies the principles that Hill put forward, its clear that Hills philosophies are still valid today as when they were first written.

jeffzod7 likes this.
  5. Authority

Authority New Member

The last book I read was ‘Romance on water Lilies’ by Kardashian Riley published on Amazon Kindle. I read the book for leisure but I learned a lot from it. The book is a fiction that centers of the romance scam. Wacky the central character lives in China and employs the services of his April (Filipino girlfriend) claim the identity of many profile photos on different dating sites. He also engages the Mr. Zong Wu, a Chinese, who help him to convince his scam victims with his accent.

Surprisingly, Wacky uses hypnotize his victims into parting with a huge sum of money, once entangled in the web of love. Ken falls in love with Diwata who is a false profile that Wacky uses to trap his victims on Asia dating sites. Ken parts with huge amount without coming to term with the reality that he is scammed. The love fantasy leads Ken to ‘Romance on Water Lilies’, an experience that leads to his death.

Wacky and Aprilyn have a quarrel on the sharing of their swag. It is sour bitter that Aprilyn poisons Wacky and commits suicide when the police come after her, and nobody is alive to tell the story. It is an interesting piece full of suspense.

6. Cliford marcelin

Cliford marcelin New Member

The last book I read was the giving three‚ The best book I ever read.

7. UnicornHeart

UnicornHeart New Member

The last book I read was Everything, Everything by the new young adult author Nicola Yoon. Everything, Everything is a fictional book about a girl named Madeline that has lived her whole life isolated from the outside world because she has a rare autoimmune disease called SCID which makes her extremely allergic to the world. Madeline doesn't feel the desire to venture outside her safe place until she falls in love with Olly, her next door neighbor. I read Everything, Everything for leisure. I saw so many rave reviews for this book, and when I initially read the blurb, I was instantly intrigued and excited to read it. I was pleasantly surprised by the twists and turns that the story presented. There are very many mixed reactions to the ending. Either people loved the ending or hated it. I feel neutral about the ending. There are some things I liked about the ending and there some things I really would have done differently If I had written the story. I wish I could tell you what happened but I don't want to spoil it for anyone, who might be interested in reading it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  8. aybee92

aybee92 New Member

The last book i read was "purpose driven life by Rick warren"
    really nice book, i advice you get and read it you haven't. thank me later

9. cehrulean

cehrulean New Member

I'm currently making my way through the Buck Owens biography written by Eileen Sisk. It's a brutal read about someone that I really enjoy, so it's hard to make it through certain chapters, but it's not changing my mind about him, just making it easier to understand and sympathize.

10. asterrhythm

asterrhythm New Member

Lately I got really hooked to Murakami's books!! They can be odd in a way, but also beautifully descriptive. Sadly I don't have much time to read. I wish I could do it more!

11. lopingbug

lopingbug New Member

Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin. I went on a guilt trip down mother's lane with this book. I wanted to hug my mom and tell her I love her so much after I finished it. I could well relate to the children in the book at how I take my mother for granted. It made me appreciate my mom more.

jeffzod7 and Westerlies like this.
  12. meinzerthurman

meinzerthurman New Member

The last book I read was "Drood" by Dan Simmons. This book is a historical fiction, based loosely on the biography of the beloved English author Charles Dickens. It's narrated by Dickens's friend "Wilkie" Collins, who describes his adventures in dealing Dickens, whose health is declining and who is toying with dark arts and a mysterious figure named Drood. I loved the book because it was a great marriage of biography, mystery, and adventure. I picked up the book as part of a summer reading challenge, and I'm so glad I did because it brought me many, many hours of entertainment (at 700+ pages long!) and it gave me a new perspective on the life of Charles Dickens!

jeffzod7 likes this.
  13. Quman

Quman New Member

Not counting a few small e-books I recently read, the last book I fully read was The Adventures of Peter Cottontail (by Thornton Burgess.) I've been reading a lot of classic children's stories, like Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan. Right now I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula (not exactly a children's story, but still a classic.) I like knowing the original version of famous stories so I can see how they've evolved over time.

jeffzod7 likes this.
  14. Danicrs1

Danicrs1 New Member

I recently found a secondhand books-bookstore near my house and I bought a lot of Agatha Christe's novels, the last one I read is The Crooked House. Great book just like everything from this author.

jeffzod7 likes this.
  15. Vincent Tales

Vincent Tales New Member

I would love the share the title of the last book I read. I did learn a number of new things from it. Just look up the rest of the title on Google. The title is - The Subtle Way of Not Giving a ___

jeffzod7 likes this.
  16. bdlj

bdlj New Member

The last book I read turned out to be really interesting, The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. I was a bit annoyed when it was recommended to me because on the surface, it sounds like the title of a self-help book, which I'm completely uninterested in. In actuality, it's a deep dive into the human psyche and what habit is, and how they're formed and changed. It did actually end up being useful to me for changing a few bad habits!

jeffzod7 likes this.
  17. Adebayo tobi

Adebayo tobi New Member

The last book i read was "Pride and Prejudice" written by Jane Austen. And it is about romance

jeffzod7 likes this.
  18. Shantana Blackwood

Shantana Blackwood New Member

The last book I read was an interesting novel by Billie Green entitled Star-walker.

jeffzod7 likes this.
  19. bbenitojr

bbenitojr New Member

The last book i read was the Bible. Aside from reading bedtime story book for my child, I also read most of the time the Bible.

jeffzod7 likes this.
  20. p4nd0r4

p4nd0r4 New Member

It's a book entitled " Magandang Balita Biblia ". It's the tagalized version of the all time best selling book named Bible. I was actually reading it since highschool but until now I was yet to complete it. I find it hard to completely read the whole book since I seldom read it. But everytime I had the chance, I make sure to read some lines or some pages. The goal of actually reading the whole book still burns in my heart, I just don't know when. Anyways, I'm not in a rush to do it nor in competition with anyone but myself.

21. Betroot1A

Betroot1A New Member

The last book I read cover to cover was "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory," a nonfiction biography by Caitlin Doughty which was super interesting to me. When she's a little girl she's at a fair or some sort of event and sees another kid who died from falling off of a building and it haunts her to the point she's OCD about things throughout her childhood because she believes nervous habits will stop her or people she cares about from dying

And then when she gets older she ends up working at a crematory? It sounds like it'd be super morbid and it is, she tells all sorts of stories about families or people she's dealt with and also gets into tons of beliefs about death from other cultures, but another huge half of the book is about her life outside of work or the people she's met inside of it so it's got that whole Yin-Yang thing going on

I've always been super interested in (and terrified of) the idea of death so it was a fascinating read to get a look in from someone who actually works in the industry, plus the writing is surprisingly charming and funny which is good or it'd be completely depressing, I'd definitely recommend it especially if you want to read something totally outside of the norm

22. Greevee

Greevee New Member

It was a short book called "Los Cachorros" by Mario Vargas Llosa, a really nice story about some teenage boys. It would under the slice of life category mainly because it just follows these boys on their daily labors, going to school and growing up as the author draws a portrait of society trough their actions and the way they relate with each other.

Definitely a good read, light and fulfilling.

23. BamVam Basmati

BamVam Basmati New Member

The last book i read was the Halo book series, it was actually a pretty good book and i am not a big reader either actually i hate reading most times.

24. bah38620

bah38620 New Member

I most recently read the Harry Potter series to my children. I grew up reading the books, and watching the movies, so it felt very special to share that experience with a new generation. It's amazing watching their expressions and hearing their reactions -- so similar to the awe I felt when I first experienced the stories.

25. Westerlies

Westerlies New Member

The last book that I physically read was Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams. It is a work of fiction and is third in the series of the cult classic science fiction, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The first two of the series were originally radio shows but Life, the Universe and Everything was the first to be released as a book originally. I have been reading through the works of Douglas Adams and so that's why it was the last book that I picked up. The last audiobook that I listened to was And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Agatha Christie was a famed mystery novelist, so you could probably guess that this is a work of fiction also. I wanted to listen to a thrilling tale so I decided to take on the classic piece.

26. Dedomor

Dedomor New Member

The Sound and the Fury. After reading that book I have realized why the Faulkner is a master. I have never felt such a gut-wrenching experience, combined with great sadness. It is an American story about the decline of the once great southern family, set at the beginning of the 20th century. The story is covered from the perspective of three brothers and it is centered on their own perspectives of their family history. What is so unique about this book is the "stream of consciousness" narrative method that the Faulkner has employed. This is a very daring method because it makes the reading of this book very confusing and it makes you feel very agitated, especially the first part which is written from the perspective of a mentally challenged brother. And yet, once you realize that the point of the book is to make the reader feel the same confusion and anxiety as its heroes, the book becomes a masterpiece. This is a hard but very rewarding book.

27. Iusa183

Iusa183 New Member

The last book that I read is titled "How to Win Friends and Influence People." The author of the book is Dale Carnegie. It is a very interesting book. The book will help you achieve new thoughts, acquire new visions and discover new ambitions. It is about making friends quickly and easily. It will help you to become a better speaker and more entertaining conversationalist. It will also help you how to win people to your way of thinking, increase your influence and your ability to get things done. The book taught me how to handle complaints, avoid arguments and keeping your human contacts smooth and pleasant.

28. Colosio

Colosio New Member

I recently read a book called Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It was one of those books that come along in your life when you really need it. I was at a turning point in my career and the words of encouragement gave me some much-needed insight into the dilemma I was experiencing at that time.

29. Reese K

Reese K New Member

The last book I read was The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It was an excellent read. It captured innocence, growing up, depression, and loneliness, all in the format of letters from the protagonist, Charlie. Charlie is a sophomore in high school trying to fit in and adjust after his best friend commits suicide. Set in the early 90's, it even includes a list of songs on Charlie's playlist, which I listened to while I read the book. I would recommend this coming-of-age story to anyone who enjoys stories about growing up and trying to figure out the life. The film adaptation is well-made as well, and I believe they cast the main characters well.

30. jaydee12

jaydee12 New Member

The last book I've read is entitled as "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", I know it sounds funny but believe me guys, this book makes me happy, this book is about the life of a wimpy kid from mid-school with his big brother named "Rodrick" which is the one who ruins his life and a little brother named "Manny" who really likes to ruin everything specially 'video games', I hope you guys read this book, I assure you'll enjoy it :)