What's more important to lose weight - diet or exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cafwen, Jun 26, 2016.

?

Which is more important - exercise or diet?

1. Diet

78 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Exercise

20 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Definitely both!

170 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. meaesteves878

meaesteves878 New Member

Both. In order to lose weight we should control the food that we eat, we should know how to cook our food, eat more veggies and fruits. So, if our diet is already controlled we should maintain it through exercising.

2. roastalmond

roastalmond New Member

Proper diet and regular exercise goes hand in hand to achieve healthy lifestyle ;). Even if you don't do regular exercises everyday, watching what you eat and eating right could make you look healthy. But having to do regular exercises is also important if you want to live a long, healthy life. Physical activity protects your body from diseases. Also exercises can motivate you to eat the right kind of food to prevent you from overeating. You may want to preserve the body you achieved. Those sweat and pounds you have shed during those intense workouts will keep you on your toes with your diet. Always remember to keep track of your activities. Listen to your body if you have been exercising and dieting too much. Just being thin is not healthy.

3. jhayc06

jhayc06 New Member

Definitely both are important, Because if you go to gym daily to lose weight. But when you come back to home you will eat to much your goal will be neglected. So my advice to those people that willing to lose more weight you may discipline your self. Go to gym daily or every other day, Specially if you are a beginner you watch some tutorial video in Yotube on how to do a daily routine correctly at the gym. and which is the right things you eat to build muscle and to lose more weight, Or you hire a gym instructor.

4. albino

albino New Member

For me more important is proper diet because you don't have to lose weight if you are in a proper diet, sooner or later your body will adjust to its natural size. Exercise will depend on the occupation of a person and physical condition, not all person requires to exercise everyday if you are working hard daily during work or any strenuous activity, if you are ill or not allowed to exert effort especially persons with heart problem, you need to exercise if you are living in luxury, but if you are striving everyday for food and financial support you don't need to exercise. Your daily activity while you work or any other things you did in your house cleaning, baby sitting, cooking, washing clothes, etc. is more than exercise.

5. sarah abrahams

sarah abrahams New Member

Weight loss is determined by the calories one consumes and exercise. We lose weight when we eat less calories than we expend. Conversely, we gain weight when we eat more calories than we expend. In order to lose one pound/Kg of fat, we must create a 3,500 calorie deficit, which can be achieved either through exercise or diet.

6. Verozan

Verozan New Member

From personal experience I do think diet is the most important thing in losing weight. I try to work out 5 days a week, but on weeks where I am not eating very well but still working out I don't see any weight loss results, whereas on weeks where I work out AND eat well the results are very clear.

7. janamila

janamila New Member

In my opinion definitely diet. I avoid a strict diet regimes and counting calories, because it makes me think about food all the time and I am always hungry. I had the best results with low carb diet which restricts the type and amount of carbohydrates you eat.This style of eating gives priority to proteins like meat, milk and eggs and natural fats like butter. I avoid processed food, it contains high amount of different types of carbohydrates. But we shouldn’t exclude physical activity, because exercise improves our mental health and sense of well-being. I mostly enjoy long walks and swimming.

8. GlykaXing18

GlykaXing18 New Member

Well for me a healthy diet is more important that exercising because having no discipline in diet while having exercise is less effective. Eating healthy food id very crucial such as fruits and vegetebles as well as avoiding unhealthy food such as junk foods, canned foods and others that loaded with preservatives and cholesterol.

9. jean cares

jean cares New Member

To lose weight properly would need both. Diet is needed to lose the extra body mass. It is done by taking in the right amount of calories recommended for body's height. So just eating the right amount should be enough but losing weight will not be as fast. Whereas, fasting would be the most sought for if you're looking to lose weight the fastest amount of time. However, it's really advisable to consult a nutritionist when planning to do this since some can really get into serious health issues like electrolyte and mineral imbalance. Another thing, diet must also be from the right kind of food. You need to think of the ratio of the food groups being eaten such as from carbs to vegetable to protein ratio. The food intake needs to be balanced to aspire for optimum health especially when trying to lose weight since the body will be undergoing some changes, it will need the support it can get, per say, or to try to lessen the blow of the sudden change from the usual food intake.

As for exercise, it increases the body's metabolism thereby also increasing the body mass you burn in a day. It is very helpful for weight loss and maintaining weight loss. It can also help maintain and increase lean body mass, which also helps increase number of calories burned each day.

10. zenerdblogger

zenerdblogger New Member

If I were to choose between diet or exercise, I would definitely choose diet! No matter how you exercise yet you don't have a discipline on your diet, it won't work at all. Diet is very important for a simple reason that, this is what you put inside your body, the fuel that keeps you moving and the nutrients you need to build some muscle. So be sure to have a proper diet if you want to lose or gain some weight, don't rely too much on exercising for it will greatly depend on what you take.

11. Vincent Patella

Vincent Patella New Member

Scientifically, diet is all that is required to lose weight. Biology dictates simply that if you eat less calories than you expend, you will lose weight. Now, whether or not this weight loss is healthy and how much muscle one retains during the weight loss depends on both diet and exercise. Strength training can help prevent muscle loss even when eating in a caloric deficit. Eating enough protein is also important to maintain muscle mass when eating at a deficit. It is highly debated in the scientific community what constitutes "enough" protein, but it is well known that the requirement is generally higher in men and even higher in athletes.

Thus, technically all that is required to lose weight is a change in diet. Whether or not this weight loss is healthy is much more dependent on both diet and exercise.

12. Joemax31

Joemax31 New Member

Its definitely diet, 90% of your weight loss is from your diet since proteins helps you burn fats and decreases the urge of craving for your favorite carbohydrates.. exercise is just 10% since it only causes to increase your metabolism.

13. ejay sancha

ejay sancha New Member

If you want to lose weight you need to follow them,exercising without a balanced meal will do nothing to you but if you do these both you will achieve your healthy body.Waking up in the morning and eating the right foods then exercise regularly will be a total success to a healthy body.

14. Holsz633

Holsz633 New Member

Diet is more important for the long run. While working out for you will have many benefits in the short and long run, a consistent well rounded diet will take you much further.

15. stephmassoglia

stephmassoglia New Member

Diet is extremely more important than exercise. It doesn't matter if you live on a diet of cheeseburgers and chips all day, every day - exercising will not show you the results you expect because you're still taking in more calories than you're burning. Changing your diet from cheeseburgers and chips to a lean meat and vegetables will prove to be so much of a difference. I've lost over 40 pounds recently because of changing my diet and eliminating carbs.

16. Greg C.

Greg C. New Member

Both are essential for weight loss, although diet plays a greater role due to the quantity and quality of the calories being consumed. Processed foods of any kind contain a great deal of throwaway "junk" calories, leaving the consumer not filled and unsatisfied. In addition, these foods often contain excessive amounts of sugar and salt, well exceeding any daily nutritional recommendations. Exercise has a good symbiotic relationship with diet because it wards off the consequences of a sedentary lifestyle, a major contributor to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other maladies. Those who exercise regularly often also learn about and fall into healthier eating strategies and learn better daily habits.

17. meannSanity

meannSanity New Member

I'd prefer losing weight with exercising regularly. Even though it's become a daily basis for you to run or walk or do sit ups, but you didn't receive a balanced diet, all your hardworks doesn't really pay off. Well, I don't really like calling it "to lose weight" but rather "to be physically fit", much proper way of calling it. Doing the both of it will definitely and will surely makes you feel healthier and stronger.

18. seraph0917

seraph0917 New Member

In as much as it is safe to say that both dieting and exercising are equally important, science itself would prove the point that it isn't. In fact, diet alone with minimal exercise proves effective in weight loss. There have been meal programs that has been available in the market, from different health and wellness companies and organisations. Fitness programs are more focused on body building rather than weight loss. Should we choose the healthier way to loosing weight, I highly, highly recommend to build that mindset of attaining a healthier self and to start with, drink the right amount of water every single day. Water intake has been a factor that has been taken for granted by most. To start with, downloading the Water Drink Reminder App and going about it would seem small but a great way to a healthier you.

19. Lindy

Lindy New Member

A friend of mine once said that you must exercise for your health and eat for you weight.
    Honestly, at that point I didn't feel like there was much truth in that. Everyone knows you can lose weight by exercising, right?

I discovered he was right about half a year later when I completely changed my diet.
    Even without exercise, I started to lose a lot of weight, just by eating whole grains, vegetables, skipping dairy and using olive oil. What's really important is to realize that healthy food doesn't have to be boring at all.
    Something I also learned was not to feel guilty about eating pizza or burgers every once in a while. Even with these indulgences, I kept losing weight!

Sure, exercise will help you lose weight or create a nice body shape, if done correctly.
    You can exercise as much as you want, but if you don't eat the right foods, it will be difficult to maintain motivation to keep your fitness routine.
    The main thing is to find a routine you really like. If you go to the gym but you really dislike going, then what's the effort for? There are so many different things to try and there definitely is something out there for everyone.

20. Kiel5688

Kiel5688 New Member

The main reason why people became fat is they eat a lot and without doing excercise at all. It means proper diet, proper choice of food, right time to eat and how much food they should intake was not taken into consideration.
    It is a fact, that proper diet and excercise are main partners to loose weight easily and be fit but I believe that the key elements is the person's attitude, willingness and determination to do so.
    Proper exercise really offers a greater contribution especially when you usually go the the gym, do jogging and flexing muscles everyday etc.
    Above all, it's still up to the person's will. Always remember that, if there's a will, there's a way :)

21. Kiel5688

Kiel5688 New Member

The main reason why people became fat is that they eat a lot and without doing exercise at all. It means proper diet, proper choice of food, right time to eat and how much food they should intake was not taken into consideration.
    It is a fact that proper diet and exercise are the main partners to loose weight easily and be fit but I believe that the key elements is the person's attitude, willingness and determination to do so.
    Proper exercise really offers a greater contribution especially when you usually go to the gym, do jogging and flexing muscles everyday etc.
    Above all, it's still up to the person's will. Always remember that, if there's a will, there's always a way.

22. aljessa31

aljessa31 New Member

Exercise is best when accompanied with diet. Being healthy, you must balance exercises and diet.

23. diana21

diana21 New Member

Both exercise and diet helps to lose weight. It also helps our body to maintain healthy and being active to our daily activities.

24. Riclaine

Riclaine New Member

Exercise...Exercise is a necessary part of a total and rounded program of Healtful Living. It improves Blood circulation, keeps the Muscles (including the Heart) and Bones in tone, and helps Body Metabolism by burning off excess calories. Just as important is the fact that a person who exercises regularly feels good about himself or herself and the world....

25. karim soun

karim soun New Member

from my experience i think diet because it doesn't matter how much you exercise if you not eat healthy .the right amount of calories. you won't be burning off the necessary amount of calories from exercises and as they said 80% diet and 20% exercise my advice is do both of them but diet is the most important

26. onnix

onnix New Member

Both really does the task but if i have to choose one, i would choose diet, as they say, a healthy body is made in the kitchen, not only in the gym, controlling your food intake, controling the calories, changing into a healthy lifestyle and having a blanced meal should do, you don't need to spend hours and pay money in the gym, there isn't a quick and healthy way of losing weight, it takes time, patience and effort. Yes, it's not easy, i, myself, literally can't do that, i'm not that fat but i want my body to be healthier. I prefer that you should plant vegetables at your garden, the cost would be less than it should be, it would be more organic, fresh, and safe, it'll surely lessen the hole in your pockets. Fresh vegetables doesn't require an airconditioned market giving you a pain in the neck price, planting what you buy can be more useful than you think it would be.

27. Ltheory

Ltheory New Member

Definitely both for the optimal results in terms of weight loss. As someone who exercises 5 days a week, and has a terrible diet, I can say that weigh loss through exercise alone is difficult. Maybe if I were to train 4-6 hours a day, it wouldn't matter what I ate because I'd be burning off all those calories! But without a proper diet, I doubt I could sustain such strenuous training.

28. shaira

shaira New Member

“Yes, you can lose weight with diet alone, but exercise is an important component. Without it, only a portion of your weight loss is from fat — you’re also stripping away muscle and bone density. Since working out stimulates growth of those metabolic tissues, losing weight through exercise means you’re burning mostly fat. The number on the scale may not sound as impressive, but because muscle takes up less space than fat does, you look smaller and your clothes fit better. Data show that to lose weight with exercise and keep it off, you don’t need to run marathons. You just need to build up to five to seven workouts a week, 50 minutes each, at a moderate intensity, like brisk walking or Zumba. Resistance training helps, too. But don’t just do isolated weight-lifting exercises like biceps curls — you’ll get leaner faster by using your body weight against gravity, as with movements like squats, lunges, push-ups and planks. And, of course, beyond burning fat, people shouldn’t forget that exercise can have other impressive health perks, like improving the quality of your sleep, lowering your cholesterol and reducing your stress level.”

29. francine1

francine1 New Member

Both. If you are just doing exercise then you are eating a lot, your exercise results for nothing. Proper and healthy diet helps our body against different diseases and gives us more nutrients while regular exercise can burn our calories, good for our muscle and bone, it improves our cardiovascular. Proper diet and regular exercise are both important to lose weight.

30. Ana Mae Laturnas

Ana Mae Laturnas New Member

Is it about self discipline. It is hard to do both it is like you're roasting yourself in your own fire if without proper discipline. And you have to set your goal and stick to it. I know how it hard to avoid foods that you really want to eat or you used to eat. It is very hard also to pick yourself up and start an exercise activities when you used to lay in your bed, or you're so busy and tired at work. But if you're really determined then start from yourself.