What's more important to lose weight - diet or exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cafwen, Jun 26, 2016.

?

Which is more important - exercise or diet?

1. Diet

87 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Exercise

21 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Definitely both!

194 vote(s)
    64.2%
  1. ammabee

ammabee New Member

Diet is 70% of your routine and only 30% is exercise based on scientific researches. So if you really want to lose weight, don't focus only to your exercise in the gym. Eat the right food and take the appropriate nutrition for your body. Just remember, every one of us is unique for taking nutrition in our body.

2. W130SN

W130SN New Member

I would consider both to be very important. Ignoring one or the other will not be the best solution.
    I think that before starting any diet or exercise program people should consult their Doctor for advice.

3. infectedspecimen

infectedspecimen New Member

I don't think you should separate the two, as they are both needed to lose weight and to keep you healthy. People are always afraid of exercising, because they think that they have to exercise for two hours every day, but even a small exercise will keep you in shape, and keep your body healthy (with good nutrition as well). When it comes to exercising or diet the hardest part is the first week, and it's the time where most people quit. So be strong, stay motivated and overcome your fears, you will like the results.

4. John28

John28 New Member

Exercise has many benefits, but there are problems with relying on it to control weight. First, it’s just not true that Americans, in general, aren’t listening to calls for more activity. Moreover, exercise increases one’s appetite. After all, when you burn off calories being active, your body will often signal you to replace them. Other metabolic changes can negate the expected weight loss benefits of exercise over the long term. When you lose weight, metabolism often slows. Many people believe that exercise can counter or even reverse that trend. Research, however, shows that the resting metabolic rate in all dieters slows significantly, regardless of whether they exercise.

5. Embassynight

Embassynight New Member

Well, i highly suggest to avoid dieting. However, one must eat in accordance with the recommended calories for your height and current weight. Eating healthy is an option. You do not have to do extreme "diet" to lose weight. You just have to change your eating habits which includes excessive sugar, carbohydrates and fats. The way to losing weight is to eat healthy and then do exercise to trim the loose skin and to tone your body when you lose weight. Do not be discouraged if you dont lose 20 kgs in 1 week because that is not the way to losing weight. Steady decline of your weight is the good way to go.

6. rency joy pudlao

rency joy pudlao New Member

well for me the most important is exercising it keeps you more energized and more healthy

7. FormerNarwhal

FormerNarwhal New Member

While most people may argue that exercise is more important than diet, I believe that diet is as important, if not more, than exercise. Even though a person might run 5k three times a week, bench press hundreds of kilograms (is this even possible? :eek:), run a marathon, or other intense forms of exercise, but then he or she consumes excessive amounts of junkfoods and fast food, most of the effort that he or she spends on working out will be totally useless!

I feel as though the saying: "You are what you eat" plays heavily on this. Sure, you can lose a few pounds by exercising regularly. However, drastic changes come after you start trading the path on adopting a healthier diet. I've read a couple of articles over at NerdFitness and Steve Kamb, the founder of this website, advocates greatly in improving your nutrition when beginning a weight loss program. You can read a couple of articles there. I believe they'll help in enriching your understanding on this topic! It sure helped me ;)

8. raych

raych New Member

Both diet and exercise should be done together, both are important factor to each other to lose weight. When you're on a diet you must exercise as well so that the result will be perfect. If you just diet without working some exercise, yes you will lose weight and get skinny, but your stamina and energy to sustain the daily routines you'll be shorthanded and you'll easily get tired and get hungry. Then if you do exercise without diet you won't lose weight but you can keep up with your routines. So it's best to do them both in able to be balance to sustain the energy and stamina you'll need while on a diet on your daily routine. Do exercise together with your diet and your on the go.

9. Starmaiden

Starmaiden New Member

There are so many fad diets out there, vegan being only one of them. I've tried them all except the ketogenic diet. (High fat, low carb)
    I didn't begin losing weight until I disciplined myself to eat properly, taking in all of my favorite foods in moderation, including sweets. I increased my daily intake of water which helped to reduce abdomen fat. I walk every day and also do yoga. Sticking with this regimen has taken off a few pounds while enjoying all of my favorite foods. No putting myself through the wringer to lose weight.

10. shadrsd

shadrsd New Member

I think both are important for us to lose weight. With proper diet and exercise, we can always achieve a healthy body. Its always a matter of descipline.

11. Willy1984

Willy1984 Member

We can lose weight with diet alone, but exercise is an important component, beyond burning fat, we shouldn’t forget that exercise can have other impressive health perks, like improving the quality of your sleep, lowering your cholesterol and reducing your stress level.

12. Willy1984

Willy1984 Member

We can lose weight with diet alone, but exercise is an important component, beyond burning fat, we shouldn’t forget that exercise can have other impressive health perks, like improving the quality of your sleep, lowering your cholesterol and reducing your stress level.

13. anjie2288

anjie2288 Member

for me both are very important because when your going to think about properly diets i think excersice is a must even if it only takes 30 minutes sit up a day or 30 minutes walking un a day or jogging every other day atleast you need to have excersice.. You can try https://wp.me/pacJv2-18 for having a healthy diets..

14. boogie080

boogie080 New Member

Definitely both, if you eat less and you work to much you definitely get thin, because you burn more than what you eat, and you'll get big if you more than you can burn. Body builders eat so much than they can take, but they burn them by weight lifting, all they eat become their strenght and muscle. Inproper diet can be risky specially when you have no idea how to diet properly, starving your self, thingking to get slim fast but not thingking the risk. I reccomend to diet and exercise to be fit and healty, or if you dont have enough time, a home workout can do the job, or just bought a diet book, a thousand of them in your nearest book store. One more tip, be motivated and inspire and you can reach your goal, just be positive and and active, you'll be fit and healthy in no time.

15. nabanaccountko1

nabanaccountko1 New Member

The same because its good in shape with healthy food

16. a_navor

a_navor New Member

A combination of a healthy diet and proper exercise is a key for weight loss. However, we need a self discipline to make this combination more effective.

17. SpaceReal

SpaceReal New Member

Honestly, losing weight follows a simple formula: Calories IN < Calories OUT.

If you consume more calories than you expend, you will lose weight.

Now, the way to achieve this can be through increasing your exercise or adjusting your eating habits.
    The faster way to decrease your caloric intake is by eating less, since it'll take you around 40 minutes of cardio to expend about 500 kcal, but if you don't want to take such a drastic cut to your diet, start doing about 1 hour or so of low-intensity cardio or 20 minutes of high-intensity training.

Note that weight-lifting isn't particularly useful for weight loss. But it's great for muscle gain, so for optimal results, you should pair weight-lifting with cardio, as that will make sure you're losing fat and increasing muscle mass

18. Nelo

Nelo New Member

For me, both. Healthy diet and proper excercise can help you to lose weight and discipline your self.

19. Jmag35

Jmag35 New Member

I can tell you from personal experience diet is definitely more important when it comes to losing weight. However, if you want a tone body you are going to need to workout too. The scale is really not that important though, it’s more how you look and feel. Since muscle weighs more than fat, losing weight is not always what we should care about. Gaining muscle is a lot more important, because muscle burns fat.

20. ellise

ellise New Member

I believe BOTH, you cant lose weight if you do only one of them. I experience it, when Im doing exercise but not dieting nothingd happend. So you better do the same routine . to lose more weight .

21. gabridosilang

gabridosilang Member

I f you wanted to be fit and healthy, I think you need to have both, proper diet and exercise. It will help you more to loose weight and achieve the body you wanted . It will easily burn your calories and cleanse your inner organs. There's a saying "you are what you eat".

22. “Yes, you can lose weight with diet alone, but exercise is an important component. Without it, only a portion of your weight loss is from fat — you’re also stripping away muscle and bone density. Since working out stimulates growth of those metabolic tissues, losing weight through exercise means you’re burning mostly fat. The number on the scale may not sound as impressive, but because muscle takes up less space than fat does, you look smaller and your clothes fit better. Data show that to lose weight with exercise and keep it off, you don’t need to run marathons. You just need to build up to five to seven workouts a week, 50 minutes each, at a moderate intensity, like brisk walking or Zumba. Resistance training helps, too. But don’t just do isolated weight-lifting exercises like biceps curls — you’ll get leaner faster by using your body weight against gravity, as with movements like squats, lunges, push-ups and planks. And, of course, beyond burning fat, people shouldn’t forget that exercise can have other impressive health perks, like improving the quality of your sleep, lowering your cholesterol and reducing your stress level.”

“As a rule of thumb, weight loss is generally 75 percent diet and 25 percent exercise. An analysis of more than 700 weight loss studies found that people see the biggest short-term results when they eat smart. On average, people who dieted without exercising for 15 weeks lost 23 pounds; the exercisers lost only six over about 21 weeks. It’s much easier to cut calories than to burn them off. For example, if you eat a fast-food steak quesadilla, which can pack 500-plus calories, you need to run more than four miles to ‘undo’ it!

“So, what should you eat? It’s true that low-carb diets tend to be the most popular because they offer the fastest results, but they can be difficult to sustain. I recommend striving for a more balanced plan that focuses on fruits and veggies, lean proteins and whole grain carbs. And never cut calories too low (this causes your metabolism to slow, and you can start losing muscle mass). For a healthy daily calorie count, allow 10 calories per pound of body weight — so a 150-pound woman should shoot for a 1,500-calorie target. That way, you should be able to lose weight no matter how much you exercise.”

23. user94

user94 New Member

The best exercise is swimming.I think that swimming is the best way to be in a good shape and weigh loss. Diet is also important, but less than exercise.

24. Shreen9833

Shreen9833 New Member

Good health is a key to success and happy lifestyle. Nowdays people are very cautious about there looks. They consult their respective dieticians for proper diet chart and reduce desired weight in order fit in branded outfits. The most important aspect is proper diet as there is a saying, '' You look what you eat''. There are many ways of exercising from attending gyms to dance classes. Best of all is yoga with 45 minutes walk everyday.

25. Willy1984

Willy1984 Member

Cutting calories through dietary changes seems to promote weight loss more effectively than does exercise and physical activity. The key to weight loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn. Exercise is also important because it can help you maintain your weight loss.

26. matiaspogi1968

matiaspogi1968 New Member

I think what's more important is that you have to be careful in what you put on your body because its gonna be useless if you exercise but putting more calories on you body. It will be wasteful to exercise bit not taking care of what you eat.

27. meekhil

meekhil New Member

I've always believed in the 80/20 Principle. In terms of fitness, it's 80% about nutrition and 20% about exercise. I've seen people who argue that they eat a lot because they burn the calories during exercise anyway. Unfortunately, the calories that they take in are usually so much more than the calories they use up when working out. So in the end, they still don't lose weight.
    On the other hand, if all you do is limit your food intake without exercising, you might not be able to sustain your weight loss. Regular exercise helps to build muscle that helps to burn body fat, even when you're at rest. So it should definitely be a combination of the two.

28. snesz08

snesz08 Member

I can say both. These things is one of the most important to do to get healthy. We need to exercise to improves our circulation, lower the risk of some disease and it will look you better. also we should have balanced diet, eating high fibre like fruits and vegetables that helps our body to take out all chemicals and toxins inside our body. it prevent constipation and gives better digest. avoid unhealthy food it may cause you some disease. it's better to take care our health, because health is wealth.

29. michpiong

michpiong Member

Well, if you really want to lose weight easily, then you need do exercise and diet. In order for you to lose weight, have a proper diet. You should eat healthy and low carbs food. Have at least 1 to 2 hours of exercise a day. You should drink 6 to 8 glasses of water everyday to keep hydrated and moisturize your skin. These two, exercising and proper dieting cannot just help you lose weight, but also make your life longer.
    upload_2019-3-22_14-7-8.png
    upload_2019-3-22_14-7-54.png
    upload_2019-3-22_14-8-32.png

30. BigEyes

BigEyes Member

I guess both.cause just like my body type I can lose weight by just dieting but I need to get rid of my stubborn fats on my belly ,my waistline and my arms.It will look saggy if I don't exercise.