What's more important to lose weight - diet or exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cafwen, Jun 26, 2016.

?

Which is more important - exercise or diet?

1. Diet

87 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. Exercise

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Definitely both!

194 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. MUKUL RAHUL ECKA

MUKUL RAHUL ECKA New Member

Both are necessary.Both diet and exercise should be complementary for your desired result(lose weight,gain muscles).If you want to lose weight you need to do cardio and other fat burning workouts and include a diet which complements such exercise.I personally do rowing which i think is an excellent cardio workout. My diet includes fiber rich food,protein foods(a minimum amount of protein intake is necessary),i stick to a low carb diet avoiding sugar and starch.And last but not the least you need to keep a track of your progression and make changes accordingly.

2. naseema

naseema New Member

Diet and exercise go hand in hand. However if you were only going to choose one it should be exercise. Exercise benefits the body and the mind where as dieting alone barely affects the body. I would rather exercise and feel great when I'm eating my cookie than sitting around wanting the cookie I turned down.

3. greene2

greene2 New Member

For my own will power, I started with changing my diet drastically. I needed to get that part under control first, to give me the fuel I needed to start working out again. I think diet changes can have an impact on your weight and health on its own, but exercise really needs to be paired with diet to make an impact. I am only 6 weeks into my diet change and I'm down 13lbs and half of that is because of diet alone, and half is due to both. The weight comes off easier when you combine the two, however if I exercised alone I don't think I would have had any changes.

4. tay1991

tay1991 New Member

I think both is absolutely essential for good health. If you have a bad diet but exercise, or have a good diet but are not active, you will not see as many benefits as if you practiced both a good diet and an active lifestyle. However, I feel like it is slightly more important to stay active. Many people develop health problems due to a lack of staying active, and I feel like it is important to keep your body active to feel younger, healthier and happier in your daily life.

5. Chantel LaValley

Chantel LaValley New Member

While both diet and exercise are needed to be wholly successful, I believe diet is key! One has to remember that 3,500 calories is one pound of fat. To burn these calories off it takes a tremendous amount of time and effort that most individuals don't have. If one keeps the number of calories consumed at a minimum, it results in lessened weight much faster than simply working out.

6. Han SeongHee

Han SeongHee New Member

No matter how sad it sounds, if you want good results there is no way to separate exercise from diet indeed. From my experience balance is the key. I know it seems hard to do, but it's not that bad as it may sound.

When trying to loose weight people usually tend to restrain from their eating habits all of a sudden and exercise like crazy hoping that they will quickly loose those nasty pounds. The truth is that a sudden change of your lifestyle is not the solution. The answer is improving your lifestyle little by little, so your mind and body gets used to the changes. Otherwise a rushed weight loosing programme will most probably fail.
    Here are some pieces of advice that helped me:

In what concerns diet, try to gradually reduce the amount of unhealthy food and replace it with healthy alternatives. For example, there's a good while since I don't use oil for cooking anymore (vegetable soup, water are two simple alternatives. It depends on what are you cooking.). Also, if you're craving sweets, try home-made fruit juice or desserts from oatmeal, yogurt and fruits. These are only a few ideas. Increase the quantity of water you usually drink (add some lemon if you don't like to drink simple water or add some fruits and make infused water). You could try to consume green tea too. Any small change cumulated with others will help you give up the unhealthy habits as long as you don't rush to change it all at one dash. Do not eat only vegetables or only meat. Eat what you like, but cooked in a healthy way (I'm referring to a long term change, not a strict diet to keep for a while, because you may gain weight again easily).

In what concerns exercising, start with easy things. Whether it's running in the park or home exercising, do not force yourself from the first week. Gradually add new types of exercises to let your body get used to the constant effort you are going to make (hopefully). Do not stick to a few types of exercises only. You are likely to get bored and give up. Work all parts of your body not only the ones with problems.

And to succeed in all the above, motivation is important. Here are some ideas: http://www.beachreadynow.com/motivation/weight-loss-motivation-visuals/
    All in all, try to 'attack' from all sides, making all the changes you can without exaggerating. And keep it up !

7. Zoran

Zoran New Member

From the perspective of one who has tried both, I think by personal experience that the diet gives better results due to the regulation of carbohydrate and protein .Stripping the bodyweight physical fatigue is a very long process and thesis or a combination of both to get the best results .

8. Alex King

Alex King New Member

The saying "You are what you eat" should come to remind you to think twice about what you eat. If you were say eating unhealthy fast food such as McDonalds or In N Out every single day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, you would come to gain weight very fast.

But say if you were to eat a healthy life style such as eating something like eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and Beef, chicken, pork, fish, tofu or beans for dinner, it doesn’t matter which one you pick all are protein-rich. Protein will keep you feeling fuller longer compared to carbohydrates and fat and which in the end will cause you not to eat as much causing you to lose weight.

9. jkplex

jkplex New Member

Categorically diet is more important, there's a famous saying "you can't outrun a bad diet". It comes down to simple thermodynamics if the amount of calories you take in is less than the calories you expend you'll lose weight. Many people overestimate the amount of calories they burn in a day or through exercise, jogging for an hour only burns 400 calories, whereas you can easily take that in by drinking energy drinks or having a pre or post workout snack. Long story short diet is key.

10. jblaylo1

jblaylo1 New Member

In my opinion diet is more important than exercise. Exercise has a lot of benefits like keeping your body in shape and muscles toned. The amount of calories you consume is what matters most. If you eat more than you burn than you are going to gain weight. Exercise can help burn some of the calories therefore, it is good to exercise when trying to lose weight.

11. laurardz

laurardz New Member

I have to say diet but both are super important! When you eat a healthy diet, your body doesn't store extra fat, and uses the energy from your own fat, which causes you to lose weight. However, muscle toning doesn't happen on its own, so it's really important to hit the gym; start lifting weights and get your cardio on! A proper diet will reveal the toned muscles you've achieved through exercise. The human body burns about 1,300 calories a day (varies from person to person, obviously) alone, given it uses that energy to carry out basic bodily functions such as digestion, breathing, blinking, and moving around, to name a few. In order to lose weight, you need a caloric deficit so your body can use energy from your own fat. Let's say that a balanced diet consists of 1,500 calories. You would need to burn more than 200 calories in order to have a deficit, which is easily burned off in a 25-30 minute session of uphill running, for instance. Also, when you exercise with weights (or resistance, as in uphill running), you cause your muscle to tear, which in turn uses energy from your fat to repair itself afterwards, resulting in the ever-famous "after-burn", which burns calories even when you are done exercising! I would say that in terms of physical fitness, exercise is 30% and diet is 70%.

12. bebeleblanc

bebeleblanc New Member

I want to preface this by saying that I am not a health professional but I have had my personal struggles with weight due to a thyroid condition. I have seen the greatest amount of success in my weight loss efforts when I have combined moderate exercise (walking for at least 30 minutes, 4 to 5 days a week) and I also practice intermittent fasting. The intermittent fasting change to my diet has lead to a quicker, but measured loss of 15 lbs over 3 months and I'm continuing to lose.

13. patchykitty

patchykitty New Member

A good combination of both has always worked well for me. Controlling my meal portions and a steady workout routine and the inches melt away.

14. Marshmallory

Marshmallory New Member

Losing weight is about 80% diet and 20% exercise. Calories in calories out, if you're eating at a deficit you will lose weight.

15. L.Terry

L.Terry New Member

Really only five people voted exercise? Less than 10%! Not to many people out there have taken any kind of nutrition class. You will learn;
    Exercise is truly more important than eating right, and you CAN out-exercise any bad diet.
    http://sciencenordic.com/exercise-better-health-dietary-changes
    Also if you take on exercise, eating habits fall into place naturally.
    http://www.drgourmet.com/exercise/eatinghabits.shtml
    And Exercise aid in digestion!
    https://www.enzymatictherapy.com/Be...-Diarrhea/How-Exercise-Affects-Digestion.aspx
    Personally I have always eaten a pretty well balanced diet, and I love cooking. I have never been able to change my diet. A few years ago, I got lazy and gained a lot of weight. I didn't change my diet, but after starting back to a regular exercise, I have lost over 50lbs. The amount of exercise needed to offset diet is dependent on the individual.
    Also, you will notice the more you exercise, the more you will crave healthier foods and beverages.
    For me I do an Aqua class 3-4 times a week. Zumba twice a week. Yoga 2-3 times a week. I keep a resistance band and light 5lb weights here in my room and use them daily during boredom and/or commercials. I try to do the weight machine circuit a couple times a week, and follow-up with either the stair climber or elliptical. I end up hitting the gym a total of 5 days a week, and on some of those days I am there a couple times in a day depending on when the group classes are scheduled for.
    Also I don't do it every night, but I do like to take a nice brisk walk here in my neighborhood, and sometimes I get really adventurous and walk to the local middle school and do a few laps around the track.

16. Dianekane

Dianekane New Member

According to what I have read, diet is more important than exercise for weight loss- calories in- calories out, however, the two are very intertwined. Speaking for myself, when I am careful with my diet I have more energy to work out. The more I work out, the more fit I feel which in turn causes my body to crave light, healthy food. It is like a teeter-totter. Keep both sides even. If one side is more heavily weighted than the other, it becomes unbalanced. The heavier one side is, the more difficult it becomes to move it back into its balanced state.

17. Krisinmt

Krisinmt New Member

18. Krisinmt

Krisinmt New Member

A few years back I was determined to lose weight. I have been bigger my entire life, as still struggle with the whole diet/exercise scene to this day. I joined a gym and began working with a personal trainer. She was wonderful! She taught me a lot about clean eating and even more about proper workouts. With the two combined, I was able to lose 50 pounds within probably 5 months. I completely believe that it takes work in both departments. I believe that your diet goes hand in hand with exercise. You may absolutely be able to lose weight with diet alone, and I have done that too. I guess in order to see better results, more results, including both is the best bet. However, there is such a thing as extreme! You expect to overwork your body without proper rest and nutrition. You may not see a budge in anything if you do it that way. Also, this always stuck with me from another trainer that worked at the gym I joined. She always said, " You can work out for hours a day and never see a change, abs are made in the kitchen. You must feed your abs correctly along with your work and they will come".

19. Dawn Wood

Dawn Wood New Member

Diet an exercise tend to go hand in hand when it comes to losing weight and keeping it off. Personally, I have tried one without the other and never seem to get the exact results I desire. I have found that the body needs to eat well in order to function well on a cellular level and the body needs an adequate amount of exercise to burn excess calories. I tried exercise alone and had decent results, however, I actually lost more weight when using diet and exercise together.

20. Daniel Chu

Daniel Chu New Member

Going through these replies, the general consensus seems to be that both are important, but the majority of of replies give more weight to diet than exercise. While I tend to agree, I think most people are skirting over the fact that diet and exercise are inextricably linked. The amount that you exercise affects your diet and your diet affects the quality of your exercise.

Think back to the last time you binged on a Big Mac and then tried to run a mile. Okay... maybe I'm the only one who is guilty of doing things in that order, but there was a distinct difference in my performance when I tried running on a clean diet vs. fast food. When I ran on fast food, the excess sodium and preservatives in the (admittedly delicious) burger caused me to dehydrate faster and my body felt heavier, as if I was sweating Big Mac sauce from every pore in my body. Maybe its simply the placebo effect, but I definitely get better workouts when I diet properly.

The relationship also works vice versa, as persistent exercise will raise your metabolism over time. There's a reason why Michael Phelps consumes more calories for breakfast than most people do in a single day. Michael Phelp's metabolism expects his body to need all the those extra calories to create energy for his work outs, so his body constantly sends signals to consume more calories.

Losing weight requires both diet and exercise, but I would definitely argue that diet and exercise are equally important. Successful weight loss is about a lifestyle change, which means incorporating both aspects to effectively lose weight and keep the weight off.

21. Yirei88

Yirei88 New Member

From personal experience and the experience of others, diet is most definitely more important when it comes to weight loss. Exercise is also very crucial. However, diet as in nutrition is key. The reason for this is consistency. Changing your diet can be very taxing on the mind and body. In order to accomplish this successfully, you have be happy and content with the change in diet. You have to eat the right foods in the right amounts at the right times. It is more of a mental game than anything because of the fact that one has to stick to the diet and be strong through it. It is most definitely a lifestyle change. Once the diet is consistent, then everything else falls into place well.

22. nm120

nm120 New Member

Both are good, but for weight loss, it's better to eat a healthy diet. I always see this phrase, The abs are made in the kitchen and it makes me think that for real weight loss you need to work on what you're eating not too much the working out. Since that is more the toning piece, while the food depends on the inside weight gain. However,
    to keep a healthy body, it depends on the food. If you keep a balanced diet and not end up restricting food or eating to less, you should be fine. I always keep in mind to have a rainbow on the plate, from fruits, veggies and a good dose of protein at every meal. ☺

23. Victoria1234

Victoria1234 New Member

I have tried only working out and not changing my diet and the other way around as well. Diet definitely made a much bigger impact on my weight loss. If I control my carbohydrate and sugar intake, I lose weight much faster than if I just work out but do not have a healthy diet. It is definitely more ideal to do both at the same time, but as someone who struggles with working out AND with eating healthy. I have to start with one or the other and slowly add the additional weight loss factor in over time. I usually try to start with the diet change and add in exercise.

24. Kelly Brown

Kelly Brown New Member

Losing weight and keeping it off is all about creating a new homeostasis, a new balance. This requires a lifestyle change that includes both eating a healthy diet and regular exercise. What is going to be more effective will depend on your current habits and also your body type.
    I agree with what the others are saying - drink lots of water, eat 3 balanced meals a day, and get at least 30 minutes of exercise 3 days a week, and you WILL see results. Seriously, if there was a shortcut we would all be doing it! There are so many sources our there for healthy meal guides, exercise routines, and motivation. It's all about finding what works for you personally. I have always hated working out at a gym, but walking my dog every day, swimming, rock climbing, and yoga DVDs keep me pretty fit. I do notice there is less fat on my body when I am eating better, but for me it's less about the body fat and more about how I feel. The energy, endurance, and mood boost that I get from exercise makes it worth it!

25. Carly Summers

Carly Summers New Member

You need both! Here is the trick. You will get results doing one or the other but at some point you will notice a plateau. It will become clear that you are missing half the equation. One of my favorite saying is "abs are made in the kitchen." This is a great reminder that all the crunches in the universe wont give you a six pack if you are stuffing bagels and cream cheese every morning for breakfast.

26. saraphtha

saraphtha New Member

The average American diet consists of 150-300g sugar a day; you shouldn’t have more than 30g. Want to know what works? Lean protein (120-150g/day average), low carb/sugar (30g/day or less), and adequate healthy fats (75g/day average: avocado, olive oil, butter etc). 3 meals a day, no snacking. Plenty of water (put down the Gdamn sodas and fruit juices) and ample rest. Reduce stress as much as possible (yoga, journaling, counseling). Go outside and walk around every day. Strength training a few times a week. For life. With very few (1-2 times a month) exceptions for parties, holidays, etc. There you go. That’s all there is to it. I promise. Also model/teach this behavior to your child(ren) if you have any.

27. olir1234

olir1234 New Member

The both are important. With exercises you burn more calories then with average day activities, so you lose weight. But you must consume more vegetables, because they contain fibers, and they are helping the intestines to digest better.

28. Ronda36

Ronda36 New Member

I definite believe both diet and exercise are essential to successful weight loss. Both play a role in how the metabolism processes food and burns calories. Cardio is great for losing weight. Cardio can come from jogging, walking or running the treadmill, dancing or even swimming. However, watching food portions and limiting sugar and fat intake is important as well. In my opinion, its all about finding the right balance of both and what works for you. I think our bodies respond differently to different things which explains why some are successful at certain diets and fitness regimens and others are not.

29. tabs63

tabs63 New Member

Nutrition first, exercise second. Nutrition and watching what you put into your body will help you lose weight, gain weight, bulk up, etc, depending on your goals. Exercise is typically used for maintenance. Have you ever tried to lose weight via exercising more but haven't changed what you're eating? You feel better, you get into better shape, but the scale doesn't budge...heck, you may even gain some weight, due to putting on muscle mass. It's the dietary focus that really makes a difference in your ability to transform your body. For folks looking to bulk up (ectomorphs), they need to consistently put healthy calories into their bodies. For those looking to slim down, they need to be particular about the content of their intake.

30. edinn

edinn New Member

My opinion is that diet is more important key to lose weight. Yes you should workout to, but if you don't have a healthy diet hard work will not pay off. I was overweight and i managed to lose 20kg. I used to do Freeletics only 30 minutes a day, 5 time per week. Healthy diet was my main key to success.