What's more important to lose weight - diet or exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cafwen, Jun 26, 2016.

?

Which is more important - exercise or diet?

1. Diet

78 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Exercise

20 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Definitely both!

170 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. Anne Dm

Anne Dm New Member

I believe you need the both of them. It should be a healthy diet by consuming a wide range of food in the right amount. It should have a proper balance proportion of protein, carbohydrates, fats, sugar, water, vitamins and minerals. You also need to exercise regularly to lose weight and it also helps reduces some diseases. Healthy diet and regular exercise is very essential because it has a long term benefits in our life.

2. MauiLani

MauiLani New Member

I firmly believe that how you eat and your diet is the most important thing if you're trying to lose weight. Everybody obviously needs to exercise, too, but you can lose weight by eating healthy even if you don't exercise. What we put into our bodies is key. Healthy foods like lean protein, nuts, vegetables, fruit and healthy fats will go a long way in helping you lose pounds or maintain your weight.

3. lynnedawan

lynnedawan New Member

If you're trying to maintain weight, diet matters more.As my personal experience when I started excercising the moment I stop it I notice that I become bigger ,so it is not advisable to start going to gym or exercising if you will not be able to maintain it regularly. Balancing your food intakes is much better .Earing fruits and vegetables always go a long way.

4. TopRated

TopRated New Member

While both diet and exercise are important for weight loss, I believe that nutrition is critical to shedding unwanted pounds for good. If you don't believe me, just take a look at a calorie chart. There are so many calories in food and, yet, it takes so much exercise to burn off even a few of them. Exercise can help boost energy which will keep you motivated, but it's very difficult to lose weight without some form of calorie restriction in place.

5. Karlo Baltazar

Karlo Baltazar New Member

Hi, this topic has been a long time debate, but most people and studies come down to dieting outweighing exercise when it comes to losing weight, and I agree. Now, I emphasize the word "losing" because with diet and no exercise, that's really all you can achieve. By dieting, and being in a caloric deficit, you will lose mass in the form of fats and even muscle. In a general sense, you will lose weight, but this might not be ideal to others.

On the other side, if we just exercise but disregard our eating habits, we can still gain weight. If you're solely trying to lose weight, then diet is a must. The reason being is, we can consume or intake a larger amount of calories than we can burn or lose from working out throughout a given day. It becomes easy math, if your caloric intake is higher at the end of the day, then you will gain weight.

Now if your goal is to lose weight, but shape your body or sculpture your body to keep as much muscle mass as possible, then doing both activities are needed. You will have to diet and work out in order to achieve such an outcome. Hope this helps :)

6. del_reign

del_reign New Member

Diet and exercise are both of the factors which are important for your health. Staying fit makes you feel strong and empowered. Staying healthy make you feel free from diseases. It is both in ways to consider in staying healthy, watching you diet and doing your exercise to stay healthy. Doing what suites for you will make you stay healthy.

7. Ephedrine

Ephedrine New Member

For me diet is EVERYTHING. If you dont follow a strict diet you are WASTING your time.
    You can't out train a bad diet !!! It doesn't matter how hard you work in the gym, if you don't control what you put on your plate !!!

8. chackie31

chackie31 New Member

BOTH.. you have to diet and exercise to maximize the result. Don't afraid to eat, just eat healthy foods.. you need to eat to maximize your energy during work out and you need to eat healthy food to maximize losing weight..
    Eat at least 5-7 time a days small healthy diet.. like for example, oatmeal, brown rice, fatty fish like salmon or tuna, avoid farmed fish, lean mean, chicken breast or turkey, yum, always eat whole food avoid processed food.. you can see the result very soon if you are very dedicated.

9. fattymadz

fattymadz New Member

I've been gaining a lot of weight this past few months. I did not notice that I am getting bigger (76kls. indeed). So now, I'm on diet and exercise to get back just at least 55kls.

10. dioxazine

dioxazine New Member

The question is "what's more important to lose weight," so the only answer I can give here is diet. Your weight is determined by a very simple math equation - the difference between calories in (what you eat) and calories out (what you burn). Your diet controls 100% of calories in. Exercise controls....maybe 20% of calories out. And that's only if you're trying to be active.

Your body is automatically burning a considerable amount of calories every day - this is simply the energy cost of keeping you alive and breathing. Keeping your body temperature at 98.6 degrees. Maintaining all your cellular functions. This is known as your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and it varies from person to person depending on their weight, sex, and age. There are many sites where you can calculate yours.

Other simple activities raise your daily calories burned from the BMR level to what is known as your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). These activities can include....waking up. Walking around. Cleaning your office. Cooking dinner.

If you decide to exercise on top of this, you can probably burn an additional 500 calories for several hours of strenuous work. However, that's a small number compared to how much energy your body naturally burns just from keeping itself alive.

Exercise is important for a great variety of reasons - it's vital to maintaining good heart health and strength. However, where weight loss (loss of body fat) is concerned, it barely matters. It's far easier to not eat that 500 calorie slice of cake than it is to run a mile and burn 500 calories.

Diet controls fatness.

Exercise controls fitness.

You can't outrun your diet.

11. paddygsound

paddygsound New Member

I'm currently in the midst of changing my diet and lifestyle after having a heart attack at 33 years of age.
    It has been an eye opening situation. I am still in the healing phase. But I have now began to realise how I can make small changes.

For me diet will be the main thing whilst I heal. So far I have began by incorporating more fresh fruit and vegatables in my diet along with making changes to portion size. This has already had an effect. So at this point I figure it out to be about 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise. This may well change as my health returns to me.

I think Dioxazine has some valid points

12. Alexander143

Alexander143 New Member

It’s true that exercise can give you an immediate surge of energy, but smart eating throughout the day will fuel you with a steadier supply. “With proper nutrition and well-timed meals, you’ll keep your blood sugar balanced.

13. shairine

shairine New Member

With the experience that i had i can say exercise but both together can help a lot

14. kgemmill

kgemmill New Member

I believe it's both! Although I have lost weight with just changing my eating habits, eliminating soda, etc. I ended up gaining it back. I wasn't doing much exercising at all during that time either.

I recently got myself a new gym membership and I wouldn't say I am "dieting" but I definitely am thinking more about what I eat, how much I eat, and what I'm drinking. The main thing I decided to do was cut out soda, and just eat smaller portions. That, along with going to the gym, will make these extra pounds drop quickly.

Also, the gym is a little bit of "me" time, some time to get away and do my own thing.

15. nbasturias

nbasturias New Member

losing weight is not simple as it sounds. to have an effective way of losing weight, one should do both: "diet and exercise." Diet doesn't mean you have to starve yourself, but rather eat the right proportion of fruits, veggies, meat and carbs. Exercise is also imprtant to our body since it helps our body healthy. Yes, you lose weight by only having a diet, but if you do not exercise, your important organs to your body will fail easily, such as our heart and lungs. Exercise strengthen our body. And if you exercise alone and you eat a lot, you might not lose weight especially of your calorie INTAKE is greater than the calories you REMOVE while you exercise. So, for effective and healthy way of losing weight is by doing BOTH.

16. KIMIAN

KIMIAN New Member

I believe that well balance diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight. Eating nutritious food will help protect your body against the manifestation of diseases. While having a regular exercise plays a vital role in making our bone strong and improve our immune system. Thus, holistic approach of losing weight is the best recommendation.

17. erenjein

erenjein New Member

I agree. Definitely both are very important when we are talking with fitness as well as health. You will not become physically fit if you only do diet but you do not exercise. You should do both for better result and good health.

18. AimMarie

AimMarie New Member

I try to do both, but I find that I have more success with weight loss through diet. Recently I have started intermittent fasting where I eat all of my calories within an eight hour window each day. I think that my stomach has really shrunk enough by doing this that I can get my portions totally under control. However, if I were to do it though diet alone I would just look sad and "skinny fat". Being fit overall is extremely important if you are watching your weight for the sake of appearance, and for your health too. Of course drinking a lot of water and getting lots of sleep are also super important. Water really helps flush everything through your body so you can avoid feeling heavier due to bloating. As far as sleep goes I think it is safe to say that we all feel better after a solid night of rest. If we are rested we are less likely to reach for food for comfort's sake, and have the energy we need to really kill it during our workouts.

19. Lhotte Noble

Lhotte Noble New Member

Both for me! I believe that diet alone will not work if we will not exercise. Diet will restricts us from eating unhealthy food or control the volume of food that we eat. While exercise can burn all of the fats and cholesterol that was banked into our body as we may eventually sweat it out during work out. They have to work together...

20. Lhotte Noble

Lhotte Noble New Member

Both for me! I believe that diet alone will not work if we will not exercise. Diet will restricts us from eating unhealthy food or control the volume of food that we eat. While exercise can burn all of the fats and bad cholesterol that was banked into our body as we may eventually sweat it out during work out. Proper diet and good exercise has to work together...

21. glomer21

glomer21 New Member

I think diet and exercise are both important to lose weight. Diet is simply to lessen your food intake than you normally do. It is important so that your body will not anymore gain more fats or cholesterol that cab make you gain weights. In addition, diet will make you more disciplined in eating. Also, exercise is important because this can help you in losing weight. Jogging, running or biking are some activities that can help you lose weight in just a week. I have done those activities and I they're effective.

22. Robert Manole

Robert Manole New Member

Hello, I found this article that I would like to share with you. It contains 10 habits of the most successful people and a course about personal development, success and creating wealth. Check it out! It is really worth it: http://bit.ly/2E4zy4w

23. Rachellecd

Rachellecd New Member

Let's face it a person is not going to get anywhere quickly if you workout on the elliptical 30 minutes a day and then visit McDonald's for that big mac right after. When a person commits to making a lifestyle change it involves what we eat, how much we eat, how we move and how much we move. People think that by eating sugar free, low fat or fat free it will make a difference. Even those small changes can work against you because the manufacturer must compensate for what is missing with some artificial substance to make the product palatable. It is about doing something different In order to affect change. That means not only engaging in physical activity but, different from what you may be use to. When it comes to food it needs to be quality and not junk. The more simpler and organic the better it is for your body. Chances are if it comes in a box or package it has been processed. Frankly the body does not require all that fancy stuff to operate. In fact it can work against you and be quite toxic. Anyone living a sedentary lifestyle needs to make a change if they want to see a change in their lives. That starts with preparing their own food with natural or organic options and becoming more active on a regular basis.

24. sarzfull

sarzfull New Member

I would prefer to do both "Diet and Exercises"
    If your goal is to lose weight then why you don't do both ( all you have to do is to lose more carbs than you eat)
    and i'm sure that you will see some changes within day's

25. Orl5998

Orl5998 New Member

Specifically when choosing one from the two options: diet or exercise, I would choose diet. As long as you remain active in the gym with either a weight or cardio exercise regime, 85% of the results will come from diet alone.

26. Rosamistika

Rosamistika New Member

Staying healthy is having enough food intake and going out for a walk everyday. Brisk walking for at least 30 minutes a day keeps our body fit. Drinking water can help a lot too. Thirty minutes before every meal makes us full and stops us from eating too much. Having a strong determination and self-discipline can make a big difference.

27. masterjed

masterjed New Member

I should go with both. Having a Good diet , and a good exercise are the main goal. Should I say getting fit, not getting less weight is very important. it depends really on what you wanna become. and ofcourse most of us want to be fit. I made this words before , EAT LIKE A KING AND WORK OUT LIKE A BOXER. But its still not enough.but its more than enough. I've abused everything with these words, I workout, like a lot of work out, but then I eat a lot as well. anything that I want, from fatty foods, burgers, fries, even those foods that are not on the list of healthy foods just to follow the eat like a king thing. And it puts a negative part on my health, Yes I sweat a lot but I eat useless foods shall I say. And as what they always say, You are what you eat. and we should follow this as a rule to get fit. So based on my experience, "I want to change my words to we should eat what we wanna be and we should work out what we wanna be ":)

28. masterjed

masterjed New Member

I should go with both. Having a Good diet , and a good exercise are the main goal. Should I say getting fit, not getting less weight is very important. it depends really on what you wanna become. and ofcourse most of us want to be fit. I made this words before , EAT LIKE A KING AND WORK OUT LIKE A BOXER. But its still not enough.but its more than enough. I've abused everything with these words, I workout, like a lot of work out, but then I eat a lot as well. anything that I want, from fatty foods, burgers, fries, even those foods that are not on the list of healthy foods just to follow the eat like a king thing. And it puts a negative part on my health, Yes I sweat a lot but I eat useless foods shall I say. And as what they always say, You are what you eat. and we should follow this as a rule to get fit. So based on my experience, "I want to change my words to we should eat what we wanna be and we should work out what we wanna be ":)

29. Pinz27

Pinz27 New Member

When we talk about diet I think it's better to re-phrase it with "proper diet " and exercise are both important for weight loss. What you eat affects your health and physical activity has numerous health benefits.
    If you eat unhealthy just like you love to eat more fatty foods, then expect it will store in your body as fats and calories you need to burn it through exercise, which we admit it’s hard to do, especially if we don't have much time to hit the gym or you can do it at home.
    You should aim to eat a healthy, balanced diet whatever your activity level, as this will provide you with all the nutrients you need. A demanding exercise routine can leave you feeling quite hungry if you're not refueling correctly in between exercise sessions.If you're trying to lose weight, you'll need to watch what you eat and drink after your workouts.
    If you consume more energy than you burned during your exercise, you may find yourself putting on weight rather than losing it.
    Balance your diet and exercise, always remember "Health is Wealth"!

30. Balatszki_07

Balatszki_07 Member

One of my family’s favorite shows is “The Biggest Loser.” Although some viewers don’t appreciate how it pushes people so hard to lose weight, the show probably inspires some overweight people to regain control of their lives.

But one of the most frustrating parts of the show, at least for me, is its overwhelming emphasis on exercise. Because when it comes to reaching a healthy weight, what you don’t eat is much, much more important.

Think about it this way: If an overweight man is consuming 1,000 more calories than he is burning and wants to be in energy balance, he can do it by exercising. But exercise consumes far fewer calories than many people think. Thirty minutes of jogging or swimming laps might burn off 350 calories. Many people, fat or fit, can’t keep up a strenuous 30-minute exercise regimen, day in and day out. They might exercise a few times a week, if that.

Or they could achieve the same calorie reduction by eliminating two 16-ounce sodaseach day.