What's The Last Book You Read? Be Honest!

Discussion in 'Books' started by Rhauze, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Rhauze

Rhauze New Member

Even if it was a silly romance novel, what's the last book you finished? I just got done with one called Savage Girl, it's by Jean Zimmerman. It's sort of a mashup of My Fair Lady and Blood Meridian. I pretty much love anything having to do with the Victorian Era and murder mysteries, so this was like heaven. It's filled with twists and turns, and I had NO clue who the murderer was until the end. I read the whole thing in a weekend. I'm going to pick up Zimmerman's other novel, I think it's called Orphan Train.

2. Courtlessjester

Courtlessjester New Member

The most recent book I read was a crime thriller by Michael Connelly titled "Trunk Music". It is part of the Harry Bosch series, a veteran LAPD homicide detective with a mission to stamp out evil. Overall, the series and this novel are great, never a clear like on who did it, many logical turns and a nice blend of humor, tragedy, romance and mystery. I am also very fond that the novels take place in Los Angeles and incorporate landmarks like Union Station, Dodger Stadium and the Bradbury Building. I would highly recommend these books and even the Amazon series they turned the novels into.

3. Vitani

Vitani New Member

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. I finally got it, I waited forever for the sequel and then dropped the ball on getting it. I could not put it down. I love his books, I mean Mistborn is what made him famous I guess and they were pretty good. I was already drawn in by one of his lesser known books Warbreaker. Then I got the Way of Kings, I finished it in only a few days before I had to study for finals. I watched for 2 whole years, while he popped out books like they were nothing for that sequel. I am going to get back into the Wheel of Time again, I am not sure where I left off but so far I have really liked the books.

4. Roxana Udila

Roxana Udila New Member

I am so ashamed of myself...:( my last book was Romanian-Spanish dictionary :D I gave up reading books years ago when I've touched a keyboard for the first time :)
    But, remebering this now, I will do my best to read something more complex than a dictionary :D

5. Ankerman

Ankerman New Member

The last book I read was "The White Castle" by Orhan Pamuk. I was really fascinated with the vision of doubles, changing roles and an Italian teaching a Turkish scholar science which was then used in another way. The book raised also an issue of manipulation. Now I am reading Pamuk's essays and I am very interested in his views on Dostoevsky, Nabokov and their works.

6. sumank5875

sumank5875 New Member

I keep reading but to remember the name of the author is a bit difficult task. I recently read - Your Erroneous Zones. Its amazing! covering all the topics like guilt, worry, disappointments, failure etc. All the topics are sensitive yet it has been dealt with utter care and has covered various aspects of human life. A person reading it will feel elevated a bit in psychological terms. A must read book for every one indeed!!

7. sumank5875

sumank5875 New Member

I keep reading but to remember the name of the author is a bit difficult task. I recently read - Your Erroneous Zones. Its amazing! covering all the topics like guilt, worry, disappointments, failure etc. All the topics are sensitive yet it has been dealt with utter care and has covered various aspects of human life. A person reading it will feel elevated a bit in psychological terms. A must read book for every one indeed!!

8. sumank5875

sumank5875 New Member

Well ! I keep reading but to remember the name of the author is a bit difficult task. I recently read - Your Erroneous Zones. Its amazing! covering all the topics like guilt, worry, disappointments, failure etc. All the topics are sensitive yet it has been dealt with utter care and has covered various aspects of human life. A person reading it will feel elevated a bit in psychological terms. A must read book for every one indeed!!

9. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

I was happy to see "Blood Meridian", one of the all-time great American novels, mentioned right up there at post no. 1. For me, it was Borges: "A Universal History of Infamy", which was a retelling of some of the stories of the most notorious criminals in history. Early Borges, dating from the mid-1930s. He wrote an apologetic preface, saying to the reader that while there was plenty of "lightning" in the book, there wasn't a lot of substance. He had to have been a self-deprecating man. I thought it was a fascinating read. It was my first Borges - and it won't be my last!

10. kitten_v

kitten_v New Member

The last book I read was "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, it was honestly a very eye-opening novel. Half of the book is set in Afghanistan in the 1970s and the other half is set in modern San Fransisco, where a man named Amir comes to terms with who he is and the all the regrets of his life. This book not only hits your heart, but it opens your eyes to the land of Afghanistan before it became invaded by the Taliban and effectively the United States. Despite being required to read this book for an AP Literature class, it honestly felt like I was reading this book for fun!

11. Medina Gustavsson

Medina Gustavsson New Member

Wow, you felt like you were reading this book for fun? I also had to read it for AP Literature last year but I couldn't stand it. It might just be because I forced myself to read it too fast, but it felt heavy and weighed down on me for days. I found it extremely depressing.
    I suppose I'm not much for literary fiction, though. All the books I read in that class gave me the same feeling of impending doom and frustration. The one that came closest to my taste was probably Othello or 1984.

12. Zimbitt

Zimbitt New Member

One of the Drizzt Duorden ones, pretty good read but this was like the 15th or so book in the series and it kind of gets old following an unkillable and unbeatable dark elf master swordsman around on his adventures.

13. bonikamen

bonikamen New Member

all the time i use to read horror book because i like it and also i staying with it . and i hope i will not leave it .because of that mom and dad telling me something but i don't care because i love it but sometime i get hart but i don't care i have to read that one without i cant sleep over the night so i hope all are my friend clear about it..

14. alannalynette21

alannalynette21 New Member

The last book I read was Paper Towns by John Green. I only read it to be fully ready for the Paper Towns movie but to my surprise it was actually a wonderful book, ha-ha! I loved all the characters, how the plot developed, and it was definitely worth reading even though the movie was such a great representation of the book!

15. astro.lux

astro.lux New Member

I read the most classic book anyone can read in an english class and its 1984. Let me just tell you that it's a combination of a detailed boring read/mysterious intriguing adventure. It can mess with your mind with its twisted concepts. It's an intelligent book to read at least once in your life.

16. fable

fable Member

Right now I'm reading a book called "If You Feel Too Much" by the founder of the non-profit To Write Love On Her Arms. It's great and so relatable because apparently I feel too much.

17. watsadamen

watsadamen New Member

The recent books I read were both authored by Kevin Kwan. I first read Crazy Rich Asians followed by its sequel China Rich Girlfriend. I preferred the former. Crazy Rich Asian is a very fun read. I am Asian but I couldn't relate to the characters since the book was about the lifestyle of the really, really rich Singaporeans. Anybody here who has read it? Are there really crazy rich AND crazy and rich people who act that way? Enlighten me ;)

18. Abby Bermudez

Abby Bermudez New Member

The last book I read was a Hard Case Crime novel called Joyland by Stephen King. It's my new favorite book, actually. It was very well-written and it sometimes kept me up at night. This was a very scary, thrilling, and fun book!

Now I'm halfway though The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.

19. Selvie

Selvie New Member

I just finished reading "Think and Grow Rich" again... for the 3rd time. Its amazing how each time you read the same book you discover new things like it was never there before. But of course it was... and we just had to be ready to see it. This book is an amazing insight into the human psyche and really holds the "secret" to creating a profitable business or career if that is your goal. Definitely recommended reading if you are in business school or contemplating any kind of business plan because it shows you the difference between businesses that thrive and those that don't and why. It even has a foolproof plan to get any job you desire if that is your goal. So go ahead and read it.

mainami, trini99, Lindzy and 2 others like this.
  20. Paul Ng

Paul Ng New Member

The last book I read was "1Q84" by Haruki Murakami. Prior to that, I had read only a couple of Murakami's other works, namely "Kafka On The Shore" and "Norwegian Wood", so I perhaps I was not really prepared for this absolute colossus of a novel.

I have to admit that I found the middle portions of the book a little draggy, but as it was with Murakami's other works, I found it a lot easier getting into the story by trying to visualise just about everything that he described in each dense paragraph. In all honesty, I reckon that this book is not for everyone. It can be quite overwhelming to go through the text, as Murakami (or rather, the translator) tends to try and weave in even the smallest and most subtle details - some of these could be incomprehensible if you are not used to his style!

If you are a fan of surrealist literature, and if you are able to appreciate a story built upon more than just "a few" sub-plots, I would highly recommend giving 1Q84 a go! Reading the entire story was a very rewarding experience for me.

21. Eras

Eras New Member

The last book that I actually finished reading, well, most of it anyways, is "The Lord Of The Rings". (The Trilogy Set)
    I know that (most) everyone here knows about "The Lord Of The Rings", but for those who don't, read them. They are such good books. Not only is the fantasy aspect amazing, but there is also a whole language for just the elves alone that you can learn. (Elvish)

There are also an assortment of books that go along with "The Middle Earth", such as "The Hobbit" and many others.

22. urunclebob

urunclebob New Member

The last book I read was "Dance with Dragons" by George Martin. The way he wrote the book was amazing. However, I will admit that I find the fillers and flashbacks sometimes irritating since Martin already covered those in earlier books. The plot and characters are what keeps this book and series alive. Each character has their own thought on the things and situations around them, but is connected to one thing.... the Iron Throne.

Another thing that was interesting about this series(not the book) is based on a historical event(which was the War of Roses). So if you're interested in ready historical fiction/fantasy, this book is definitely for you.

23. sunshine76

sunshine76 New Member

The last book I read was called: Afrocentricity, The Theory of Social Change. Although this sounds like a hard to understand topic, it really isn't. It simply refers to understanding phenomena that happens in the world from a black perspective. This idea is important, because in order for students to learn, they have to locate themselves within the subjects they are studying. For example, if a black child wants to be a doctor, it would be helpful for him to know of black doctors who have contributed to the field of medicine, so he can picture himself as a doctor. Similarly if a child was Caucasian or Hispanic and wanted to be a doctor, it would be helpful for him to see representation of himself in the field of medicine. Anyone can learn about the Afrocentric viewpoint. It entails getting to know black historical contributions, heroes and heroines, and major events that have influenced the black experience.

24. ish_k

ish_k New Member

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I read the book after the rave reviews I read everywhere and the highly acclaimed movie that it eventually, went on to become. The joys of reading the book first rather than after watching the movie is indescribable and so I picked up the book. The book seemed too pretentious and I'd rather read a book I read before, again than read this one fresh. I doubt I will watch the movie if it is anything like the book and I highly suggest that if you are anything like I am, you'd be better off giving this one a miss.

25. redcollar135

redcollar135 New Member

The most recent book I have read is "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. I had heard about the book on social media and decided that it sounded like an interesting read. It focuses around the Ebola virus and how it started spreading in more civilized areas. Since the recent Ebola epidemic, it really made the book more interesting. It was well-written and very hard to put down. There was some gore but lets be honest, it is the Ebola virus.

26. jed.deek

jed.deek New Member

After reminiscing on books I read at school I decided to pick up 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck again. It was surprisingly enjoyable despite analysing it to death at school, perhaps because I didn't need to find symbolism in every sentence. For those of you unfamiliar, the famous novel is about two men following the 'American Dream' and working on ranches to gain land for themselves, but one of the men, Lennie, has the mind of a child and his innocent actions get himself and his protector George into constant trouble.

27. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

I just finished The Strain trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I had finished the first book before the first season of the show started. I wanted to finish all three books before I watched the second season. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I did hit a bit of a wall after I finished the first book. I got a mild spoiler about the third book from a friend of mine. I guess it sort of ruined it for me for a while. I had a hard time picking up the third book for a while. But, I'm glad I did. I highly recommend it, if you are into that sort of thing.

28. samborabora

samborabora New Member

I just finished reading Stephen King's IT :D I'm fairly new to the world of King, starting reading The Shining last year and have been hooked since. I usually read Victorian era novels, as they are some of my favourites by Bronte and Dickens but Stephen King has a wonderful story telling talent that provides just as much entertainment, in a very different way, as those books.
    IT was a really good read, scary as you'd imagine, and with plenty of prose and time shifts which kept it very interesting.

29. fuzzle

fuzzle New Member

I just finished reading 'Thousand Cranes' by Yasunari Kawabata. It was a gift that I had misplaced and therefore hadn't gotten around to reading yet. I've been meaning to read more Japanese literature; what better way to start than with a Nobel Prize Winner?

This was a deceivingly complex novel, and one that I needed to research a bit upon finishing. Honestly, I still don't feel that I have a thorough enough knowledge of the history of the Japanese tea ceremony to fully appreciate the subtle changes that the characters in the novel go through each time they make tea. Although it obviously plays on the changes in Japanese society post-WWII, choosing to make the changes most apparent through the tea ceremony makes them a tad less accessible than they would otherwise be.

Overall, though, I enjoyed Kawabata's use of language and plan to read his 'Snow Country' next. Right now I'm in the middle of two other Japanese books, Hiraide's 'The Guest Cat' and Murakami's 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles'.

1 person likes this.
  30. acfreely7

acfreely7 New Member

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown was the last book I read from beginning to end. It tells the coming-of-age story of a young woman understanding and accepting her lesbianism as she matures in life. Molly Bolt is the name of the young woman in question and she is described as a remarkably beautiful individual. Without giving much away, I found myself connecting to Molly several times throughout the book. Rubyfruit Jungle is well-written, beautifully detailed, and not a disappointment. For people that enjoy LGBT literature, this is a must read!