What's The Last Book You Read? Be Honest!

Discussion in 'Books' started by Rhauze, Jul 23, 2015.

1. janoel

janoel New Member

The Last book was I read is "the TROY". Its Based on Homer's "Iliad," this epic portrays the battle between the ancient kingdoms of Troy and Sparta. While visiting Spartan King Menelaus (Brendan Gleeson), Trojan prince Paris (Orlando Bloom) falls for Menelaus' wife, Helen (Diane Kruger), and takes her back to Troy. Menelaus' brother, King Agamemnon (Brian Cox), having already defeated every army in Greece, uses his brother's fury as a pretext to declare war against Troy, the last kingdom preventing his control over the Aegean Sea.

2. gandilahaba

gandilahaba New Member

"THE GREATEST SALESMAN IN THE WORLD" by Og Mandino
    This has been my all time favorite book that teaches digs deep into your hidden talent that you have not discovered, recognize, or even notice that you already have it. It makes you realize that all of the talents that you see from other people is achievable. This is a story of boy who work as a camel boy and eventually became the richest person that created an empire of his time. The things that were taught on this book was about inspiration how the boy survives from poverty as well as improving yourself making you realize that you have your own miracle and be thankful that there is only but you that is making your own story of your life. If someone is depress, this is must read book that will definitely make you stand again.

3. migsmats

migsmats New Member

The last book I read was "The Sweet Gum Tree" by Katherine Allread. It's kind of a coming of age story and romance. The book is set in between 1970s-1990s, and it follows two characters as they grow up and fall in love with each other. Nick fathers an abusive man and seeks refuge in the barn of Alix's family. It came to a point where Alix only wanted to save Nick, and eventually the two fell in love. But things happened that forced Nick to leave town, leaving Alix pregnant and confused. Alix became consumed with hatred for Nick's abandonment. But years later, 10 years of so, Nick came back only to find a changed Alix. But as the story progresses, threads are slowly sewn between the two. It's very intriguing and well-written. I would definitely recommend it for those who like romance and second chances.

4. Mark Jun

Mark Jun New Member

I have never read a book for the last few years, but the last book I have read was Clive Cussler's "Raise the Titanic!". It tells the story of the effort to bring the remains of the Titanic in the surface of the Atlantic ocean. Although it is a fictional novel, I love how the writer plots the story perfectly. It is a thrilling novel that gives the reader an adventurous reading experience.

5. domie dave

domie dave New Member

The last book I've read is Rich dad Poor dad. It's an eye-opener for me to the reality of life regarding money. Robert Kiyosaki point out that we have two dads in reality. If you were told go to school, have a good grades and get a secure and safe job. It's poor dad's advice but rich dad said that go to school and learn how make money so you can find a company to buy. And also he added that he don't want work for the rest of his life so he made his money work for him instead he work for money. Rich dad said about being an employee forever is just like in a rat race but if you focus on building your own business and invest money to work for you, mostly likely you will get the financial freedom. Investing in stocks and bonds are not wise. But investing in own business and real estate would lead us to fast track in life. This book is for those people like me who wants success in life.

6. CatherineEsco31

CatherineEsco31 New Member

Oh my gosh, that was a long time ago but it was unforgettable. Sands of Time by Sidney Shelton. It's life changing. Best twists and turns. Though I'd also recommend the Sherlock Holmes series. :) All time favorite by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I also like the series released with Benedict Cumberbackh on it.

7. pasing

pasing New Member

The last book I read was the "BIBLE". Reading my Bible really gives me joy and it helps me to know more about my God-- His plans in my life. Bible is the life manual of the people, if you know about life and your purpose, definitely the Bible is the answer. Read it and live with it.

8. Antler

Antler New Member

I just found a beautiful copy of the Tao Te Ching at my local bookstore. It broke the bank a little bit, but was worth every cent. I'm a Daoist in training, I'm learning everything I can about it and I love what I know so far. I'm hoping this copy brings on some serious revelations.

9. vainporras07

vainporras07 New Member

The last book i read was Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan. But before that I'm really into a series called Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The heroes of Olympus. I really like Greek Mythologies and stories but every time I researched some of them online it always come down to me falling asleep, so imagine my happiness when i found an author that is a master story teller and he makes the learning of Greek Mythologies so fun that it really can get you excited.

10. Steve5

Steve5 New Member

Hi. The last book I read was a paperback book with two stories. I got it from a secondhand store.

The title of the book is "Royal Captive" by Dana Marton. It's a novella. I'd say it's a good read.

I can't say that it's really good because I'm not the target audience for this. But despite not being my chosen genre, I liked the story. To be honest, I only read it to pass the time. I woke up one night and couldn't go back to sleep. I decided to grab the book and read it until I fell asleep.

It feels like a modern take on the historical romance genre. It's about a royal family. The story focuses on the princes and the ladies they encounter. As usual, love turns into hate and romance happens.

What's great about the story is that it's streamlined. There are little to no unnecessary distractions from the main plot. I'd say there were a few subplots. But overall, it was a satisfying read. I usually read novels and non-fiction books and so reading a novella was a refreshing experience.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the love scenes. I wish there was less of this in Romance. It's become all too common and feels like filler at least, to me.

It would be nice to read books in this genre without focusing too much on that particular aspect. Instead, I'd rather they focus on the tension between the two romantic leads. It's always interesting to read about the uncertainty that stems from early romance.

11. junior40

junior40 New Member

The last book that I read was the “Wheel of Time: Book Eleven: Knife of Dreams” authored by James Oliver Rigney, Jr. Although I already finished reading Knife of Dreams a few years ago, I am reading it again today in E-book form just to refresh me with the plot, characters and highlights of the story before moving on to Book Twelve. A friend of mine, who was also a fan of this fantasy novel, introduced it to me when we were teaching in the same school. At first, I read it at a leisurely pace while killing time. I was reading whatever book that caught my attention when there was nothing so important to do. However, this particular book fascinated me in a sort of a spell. The writing style and the beauty of how the author tells the story captured me absolutely! The funny thing was I couldn’t stop reading this book. It was as if I was watching a movie that I was enjoying and would not want to go somewhere else or do something else because I was so captivated by the movie I was watching. I got so hooked that I finished reading Book One to Book Eleven within three or four months with a lot of sleepless nights. And so I did finish the complete sequel of “Wheel of Time”.

12. The last book that I've read is Dear Emerald. It is a cliché story about two best friends making fall in love each other and making a choice if they follow their heart or they will respect their friendship.

13. acam1510

acam1510 New Member

The Infinite Jest by Foster Wallace. It's an amazing book that crosses between many stories and plots. To read it, you actually have to use a map to not lose track of which character the writer is referring to. The book is quite long (arround 1400 pages) but it is very rewarding.

I love how Foster Wallace writes his books. The dark humor and loneliness he's able to project in his characters really moves me deeply. It is a long time investment, sure, but it is really worth it!

14. msg17

msg17 Member

I am not the kind of person who always reads. So, to be very honest, I really do not remember the name of the last book I read. But I am pretty sure that it was a textbook. Since it was our final exam last week. And I made sure to review all of our subjects. I am pretty sure that the last book that I read was a textbook. I just do not remember the name of it.

15. enjayneer

enjayneer New Member

The last book that I read was the Bible. I decided to read the bible because I really feel empty in myself. I have to fill my spiritual life through bible. I am now in the book of Genesis and my goal is to finish it up to Revelations on or before the year ends. Please if your looking for an answer on your questions, please read and open your bible.

16. koenjiemily

koenjiemily New Member

Harold and the Purple Crayon.

:p

Just kidding. It's been Don Quixote again. Yale puts courses online so I've been watching one (I'd have to check who by if anyone was curious). He's a professor of Spanish literature and takes the book from that literary tradition, which is not a perspective I had previously considered.

17. junrose123

junrose123 New Member

The last book that I read was regarding on the Book that was made by our National hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal which is the Noli Me Tangere which means touch me not in its own phrase. I like this book because it entails the events that happened during the Spanish times when the Philippines was colonized or under the colony of the Spaniards. The book itself depicts the abuses that the Spaniards committed to the Filipinos, they make Filipinos as their slave and servants. In this book, we can learned that Spaniards uses their religion for some purposes. they stay in power for how many years and until such time that Filipinos wake up to the abuses of the Spaniards.

18. Maria Salazar

Maria Salazar New Member

The last book I read was Embraced by the light by Betty Eadie. This book had a very deep effect on me because it talks about the author's near death experience. It also talks about heaven and the existence of Jesus Christ which can change a person's point of view about life and death. After reading this book, I don't fear death anymore. I begin to imagine what would it be like to face our creator. Some thoughts ran through my head or questions like, what kind of love did the author experienced when she met Jesus Christ? What made her come back and continue her mission here on earth? This book is amazing because it awakens a person's spirituality or faith. I recommend this book because it is truly inspiring.

19. Dhaneliie Roncal

Dhaneliie Roncal New Member

It's "The Alchemist"by Paulo Coehlo. I love reading books by Coehlo because of the twist and turns on the plot of the story that the author creates. The story also teaches it's readers on how to be determined in reaching and following their dreams.
    In the story the character shows great determination that despite all the hardships and tribulations he had faced he does not gave up and continue on to follow his dreams. In the end he turns out successful.
    I'll recommend this book to my friends for them to be inspired also, :)

20. MattTolentino02

MattTolentino02 New Member

People of Darkness by Tony Hillerman. It is a story about a stolen family box. The first few chapters took me longer than usual (the last Hillerman novel I read took me 3 days) because I kept on rereading many parts to know whom is telling the truth and whom is not. I was so surprised at how the crime was committed that I wanted to know who did the bad deed even before the next chapters revealed the culprit. If themes of ambition and greed are your thing then this book is perfect.

21. Yelle

Yelle New Member

I last re-read The Communist Manifesto. It's a very short read. I hadn't given it a look since undergrad, so I figured it was time to revisit it after finishing some Marxist feminist literature. It was pretty interesting to make new connections to other political works I've read in between readings of The Communist Manifesto.

22. undershirt123

undershirt123 New Member

It's been a long time since i've read a book, i think it's like almost 1 year? I don't know exactly because i hate reading a book it tires me and my eyes. The last book that i read is Guinness Book of World Records 2016, In here you will see the list of world records both human achievements and the extreme of the natural world. I love reading this book even though i hate reading books(doesn't make any sense but...) . Anyway, what i love from this book is looking/reading the craziest attempt of the world records that humans achieved like the largest Bollywood dance performed by 8,726 people.

23. whimsical_fool

whimsical_fool New Member

The last book I read was A Storm of Swords, by George R. R. Martin. It is the third book in A Song of Ice and Fire, which inspired the television series Game of Thrones. The book is the climax of the first act in the series, where a terrific massacre changes the course of the war decisively in favor of the Lannisters. Based on the Black Dinner in Scotland, the event is known as "The Red Wedding". In defiance of the laws of hospitality, the betrayed Freys and spiteful Boltons conspire to murder the King in the North and his supporters. The foreshadowing grows heavier as the event draws quicker, with prophetic dreams, ruins of long fallen kings, and torrential rains leading to this bloodbath.

At the same time, characters such as Jaime Lannister are given POV chapters for the first time. This begins Jaime's incredible transformation from an egotistical, incestous warrior to a crippled yet powerful political player. It has heavy feminist undertones, with the lady-knight Brienne of Tarth acting as the catalyst for his transformation.

This book is my favorite of the series, for demonstrating dynamic the story can still be after thousands of pages.

24. AngelaCat

AngelaCat New Member

I'm currently sort-of reading "The World of Ice and Fire" which is George RR Martin's history of the Game of Thrones universe. I say sort-of because it's not really the kind of book you read cover to cover, it's a big hardback encyclopedia or atlas type of a book. It goes right back as far into the history of Westeros and the rest of the GoT world and it's actually pretty incredible. The level of world building GRRM did for the Ice and Fire series is completely crazy.

It's written from the point of view of a pretty pompous maester, and it discusses the history of all the noble families, Aegon's conquest of Westeros and some information about the ancient races of creatures found in the ASOIAF universe. Including the Children of the Forest and the White Walkers, although they are spoken of as being mythical beings according to the narrator.

Anyone who is obsessed with the series and is out of books to read and show episodes to watch should give this one a try, seriously. It's also a really beautiful book to have on a bookshelf and has really lovely illustrations.

25. Anami07

Anami07 Member

The last book that I have read was For One More Day by Mitch Albom. I really love Mitch Albom so much. His works really touches the heart of his readers. Just like For One More Day , it is full of life lessons , value-adding and definitely worth the time investment. After reading this, I will surely not take my mother for granted. This is really inspirational and a must read for all teenagers who want to live their lives alone and independently. You must think of your parents as well and love them as much as you can.

26. manuel17

manuel17 New Member

Yom Kippur War. An Israel Survival documentary on how they fought and win the war in just few days inspite of the sorrounding nations who tried to destroy them.

27. Crazycale

Crazycale New Member

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    What a trip! This book is so bizarre in so many ways. It's about a boy who runs away from home buts it's also a reimagining of the oedipus myth on some levels. The author intentionally set out to make a book where you had to come up with your own answers to many questions so some things are kind of vague but you get the feeling there is a lot of hidden meaning in everything.

28. judemartin

judemartin New Member

The most recent book I read was a crime thriller by Michael Connelly titled "Trunk Music". It is part of the Harry Bosch series, a veteran LAPD homicide detective with a mission to stamp out evil. Overall, the series and this novel are great, never a clear like on who did it, many logical turns and a nice blend of humor, tragedy, romance and mystery. I am also very fond that the novels take place in Los Angeles and incorporate landmarks like Union Station, Dodger Stadium and the Bradbury Building. I would highly recommend these books and even the Amazon series they turned the novels into.

29. antonette061389

antonette061389 New Member

The last book I read is a pocket book story of romance. I am pregnant that time that's why I just read and read a short story of romance fiction. Every day i'm finishing two books with two hundred plus pages I think. Because i'm pregnant that time so less heavy activites for me, so I just read all the possible book I can borrow on book shop. Reading book is really amazing and entertaining.

30. ALEEZA FATIMA

ALEEZA FATIMA New Member

The last book was "Future of foods"