What's your favorite easy snack?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Erotastic, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Erotastic

Erotastic New Member

I had a major problem with eating chips while I work or study, so I traded Doritos in for raw pecans or cashews. I get all the crunchy deliciousness, but they're much better for you! Plus they're less messy. What is your go-to healthy snack?

2. zambothegreat

zambothegreat New Member

You can't go wrong with nuts. Almonds are one of my favorite snacks because they're not greasy at all, and they have a lot of protein. I also like eating trail mix bars. I make my own with oatmeal, honey, almonds, and yogurt.

3. xxirish

xxirish New Member

My favorite "easy" snack has to be roasted almonds. Great tasting, light, and low carb. Simply amazing.

analise likes this.
  4. Sleepy94

Sleepy94 New Member

Mine is definitely Instant Oats. I personally eat Sainsbury's own range (from a supermarket in the UK.) I know there is some debate on how healthy they are, compared to non-instant, but I think they provide a lot of energy for something that takes about five minutes to prepare. I also like the Ready-Brek brand, where you can get chocolate flavoured oats among others. You can also put anything you want on top of the oats, whether it be fruit, sprinkles, m&m's, whatever. I like to drizzle honey over them and chopped-up banana. I actually started getting up early for school last year, just so I could make this breakfast and leave time for it to digest before I had to leave. I can't even explain how much energy it gave me, even after losing about an hours worth of sleep on some days. Other than oats, I also like peanut butter on anything, as it is invariably delicious, in my opinion.

5. Vittrad73

Vittrad73 New Member

I'm a huge fan of roasted pumpkin seeds. While they aren't necessarily a low calorie food (so be careful how many you eat), they have plenty of healthy properties that make them a good and protein rich snack. Specifically they are high in zinc and have antioxidant properties that make them a snack with considering. I also like yogurt, but I am careful not to buy the yogurt with additives as those usually come with lots of extra sugar. If I want to add fruit or honey, I'll do it myself.

6. rima

rima New Member

whole wheat biscuits! This is a healthy choice. For once, many brands are cholesterol free, trans fat free and are low in calories. Additionally, whole wheat is rich in many nutrients such as magnesium and amino acids. Whole wheat is rich in vitamins too, mostly vitamin B complex. However, these are usually lost during processing. the fiber content in whole wheat is usually high, which means you will have smoother digestion and you will feel full for a longer period of time,

7. DonnieH

DonnieH New Member

For me, it really has to be sunflower seeds! I really cannot tell you the when was the last day I skipped snacking on some. Did you know that they are listed as one of the world’s healthiest foods? The amount of nutrients in a quarter cup of them makes you wonder why people forget about them in the 1st place!

· Vitamin E
    · Vitamin B1
    · Manganese
    · Copper
    · Tryptophan
    · Magnesium
    · Selenium
    · Vitamin B6
    · Phosphorus
    · Folate

I tend to like mind roasted in the shell with as little salt added as possible. It can be slightly inconvenient at times to find a place to spit the shells out though. Definitely not something to be chewing on when at the mall or the gym. I do a lot of yard work and they are part of my yard care regimen.

8. ddub1221

ddub1221 New Member

Almonds. They taste good, have protein, and have good fats. They also inhibit fat absorption.

9. smo11

smo11 New Member

Oat meal is a great option, although I am not sure they are as unhealthy as normal oatmeal. The concern with them is that your body breaks it down super fast, hence your feeling of a lot of energy, but you also crash sooner. Non-instant oats take the body longer to break down providing not an initial surge of energy but a longer lasting fullness. My personal favorite snack is pudla, a quick dish that is filling and offers a lot of variety.

10. shallaamor

shallaamor New Member

I avoid junk foods for quick snacks because it makes me hungrier. For quick snacks, I prefer a medium size of banana. Banana is a healthier choice because it is loaded with vitamins and nutrients. And I believe banana is a filling snack.

11. EvangelineFind

EvangelineFind New Member

My favorite snack is banana chips. These are a delicious treat! Healthy and nutritious, banana chips are by far the better option. In regards to potato chips these may come from an organic food too however they're certainly less healthier. Almost addictive, banana chips are filling and the best snack alternative.

12. Leah Shimi

Leah Shimi New Member

I have to admit I have a crazy sweet tooth, but I a trying to be eat healthily because of poor health I've been suffering. I find I quite enjoy a few cashew nuts, or a couple of rice cakes with lactose free cream cheese. I have found xylitol to be a great healthy way to get a bit of sweetness into my diet.

13. vegaspoker99

vegaspoker99 New Member

Potato chips used to be my weakness. I have since traded them for eating baby carrots.
    I have also started making spinach and kale smoothies.
    If you add frozen organic bananas and some blueberries in there, you wont even think you are drinking something so healthy.

14. ellequin

ellequin New Member

Macadamia nuts are great. They contain lots of monounsaturated fats, which improve your cholesterol levels, insulin levels and blood sugar control. That means a healthier heart and healthier kidneys too. I like them lightly salted, but unsalted ones are tasty too. They're more expensive than other kinds of nuts, but their taste and nutritional value make them worth the slightly higher price.

15. ellequin

ellequin New Member

Macadamia nuts are great. They contain lots of monounsaturated fats, which improve your cholesterol levels, insulin levels and blood sugar control. That means a healthier heart and healthier kidneys. I like them lightly salted, but unsalted ones are really tasty too. They're more expensive than other kinds of nuts, but their taste and nutritional value make them worth the slightly higher price.

16. ellequin

ellequin New Member

Macadamia nuts are great. They contain lots of monounsaturated fats, which improve your cholesterol levels, insulin levels and blood sugar control. That means a healthier heart and healthier kidneys. I like them lightly salted, but unsalted ones are really tasty too. They're more expensive than other kinds of nuts, but their taste and nutritional value make them worth the slightly higher price.

I also read somewhere that monounsaturated fats help to target the flab around your tummy area, if you're trying to lose weight. I don't know how true that is though.

17. ellequin

ellequin New Member

I also read somewhere that monounsaturated fats help to target the flab around your tummy area, if you're trying to lose weight. I don't know how true that is though.

18. ash87

ash87 New Member

I like a handful of blueberries. I pop them in the freezer so they don't go to waste and when I want some just pop them straight into my mouth, for some reason this also makes them taste sweeter. I also like to have a handful of nuts every now and then or some 85% dark chocolate.

OxfordFan likes this.
  19. OxfordFan

OxfordFan New Member

Almonds! Especially the cocoa-dusted ones - I believe they're called "Emerald" ?? No sugar, but really good and satisfying. They taste like they should make you feel guilty!

20. TKashurba

TKashurba New Member

I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and have to be very careful about what I snack on these days. I have to make sure I have plenty of healthy quick snacks to ensure I don't end up with a sleeve of pringles in my lap. I keep lots of fruit - kiwi, strawberries, blueberries and grapes handy. To keep my calcium intake up I keep a large array of yogurt in the fridge to curb my sweets cravings. Boston Crème Pie yogurt is delicious! I recently got a trail mix assortment at the grocery store but I can't stand dried fruit. It ends up being dried cranberries and raisins leftover.

21. Netra

Netra New Member

I don't know if you can consider this as a snack but sprouts with onions, tomatoes and a little mayonnaise is my favorite easy snack. It takes less than five minutes to chop an onion and a tomato and mix it with some sprouts. I use egg-less mayonnaise since it helps to keep your weight in check too! Sprouts make your skin glow and it's an added advantage.

22. Adelie

Adelie New Member

Definitely agree with everyone who posted about nuts - roasted almonds (I roast them at home in my oven) and cashews are my favorites! I'm also a sucker for peanut butter, although that's a lot less healthy and I mostly get the cheap processed kind instead of the natural kind, which isn't as good for you.

Low-fat yogurt is also a nice option: in the summer, I like to freeze the yogurt to make my own lazy frozen yogurt. It's not as good as the kind you get from real frozen yogurt shops, but it works.

Also, cherry tomatoes are a good quick snack.

23. thedow

thedow New Member

Here are a few of my favorites:
    • Raw, unsalted almonds: Almonds are high in fat, so should be eaten in moderation. I find the roasted/salted kinds to be a little too addicting. I can eat a small handful of raw almonds and feel satisfied.
    • Prosciutto and melon: The saltiness of the prosciutto mixed with the juicy sweetness of the melon makes for a a great flavor combination. This is also an easy appetizer for parties
    • Gala apples with crunchy peanut butter: Gala apples are usually fairly inexpensive and have a nice crisp texture. The peanut butter makes the snack a little more filling by providing protein.
    • Carrots and hummus: Buy a bag of carrots to peel and slice to save some money over baby carrots. Grab a tub of your favorite kind of hummus and you've got a healthy, easy snack.

24. SheWanders

SheWanders New Member

Triscuits and hummus, or plain yogurt dressed up with garlic pepper and dill, or a mix of salsa and avocado. That's my ultimate favorite snack! If there's no Triscuits to be found, I'll munch on string cheese and fruit slices.

25. ThePelican

ThePelican New Member

My favorite snacks are cashews. You can't really chow down on cashews the same way you chow down on chips because they are rather calorie dense. However, the healthy fats found in cashews are very good for your heart, and they're so tasty you would never even know they're a healthy food. I prefer the unsalted ones to the salted ones, but that's really up to you and how healthy you want your snack to be.

26. flipperchi

flipperchi Member

Popcorn is generally a good option, as long as you don't cover it with butter. I would recommend looking up some seasoning alternatives on Google. You can also eat just about any fruit or raw veggies as a snack. Those would definitely be some of the best options.

27. Jeremy LAngdo

Jeremy LAngdo New Member

Almonds FTW. Chock full of protein, delicious, and easy to carry around.. What more could you ask?

28. penny21

penny21 New Member

Nuts are really great but I also love cereal bars, graham crackers and fruit. I love to put cup an apple and top it with some cheddar cheese. It crunchy, sweet and salty. Plus you get fiber and protein. A really filling and delicious snack.

29. Jackolina

Jackolina New Member

My easy snacks would have to be Greek yogurt and blueberry almonds. They are especially easy for being on the go all the time!

30. JasmineW

JasmineW New Member

Peanut butter on apple slices! I love the combination of these two. It's a nice blend of fiber and protein, and sometimes I sprinkle a few raisins on top for extra flavor. It's a winner for everyone in my house, from the oldest to the youngest.