Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by nakama.strong, Dec 29, 2011.

1. nakama.strong

nakama.strong New Member

Are there any benefits of failing a task? Should an individual attempt a task that has a high probability of failure?

I think that when people fail, they feel as if they wasted their time. Is failure worth the disappointment? What do you think?

2. waterhands

waterhands New Member

Unless we're talking about trying just for the sake of it, I would say that I would rather fail than never try. But it all depends on how important that task is for someone, I guess. I'll give you an example: I studied contemporary dance and choreography, and was never really brilliant at either of them. When I had the opportunity to choreograph and dance my own dance solo, I went ahead and did it, even though I was really scared and I knew there were strong chances nobody would like it. Hadn't I done that, I would be left wondering for the rest of my days. There are other things I just wouldn't be bothered trying though, because they aren't important to me.

3. theinvoker

theinvoker New Member

I always believed that you will never know what could have happened or what could your full potential be if until you at least try. Not giving your shot at the things you want to do is worse than failing. Always remember that experience is the best teacher. When you fail, you can try again until you get what you want, because your mistakes at the first try can guide you to achieve your goals. And the successful people out there are not that perfect. They all have their own ups and downs in their life, and failing is one of them, but this failure serve as an inspiration for them to be better, or the best at what they do in life. I would rather fail, than not that try. I do not want blame myself when the time comes for not trying anything at all..

4. Abigailjane

Abigailjane New Member

There is nothing worse than never trying! You should always follow your instinct on all tasks or projects that you want to achieve. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you try something and you fail, this is just a part of life. You need to experience failure in life to be able to fully appreciate the feelings of success. There is a reason why they say, that it is not what you do in life that you regret, it is the things that you don’t do. You do not want to look back on your life and regret all the things you choose not to do, solely for the fear of failure.

5. Erica Blue

Erica Blue New Member

It depends on what an individual is trying to do. First off, if a person has failed at something that is considered to be illegal, then hey failing is good. Failing can even be good for a person trying to accomplish a task that is legal. Failure can be crucial to achieving success, because a person can flourish from their failures. This can create a learning process. However, if a person chooses not to learn from what was initially done wrong, failure can be detrimental. I agree with the idea of at least trying to accomplish something, even though there may be a high probability of failure. However, if a person does not change their approach, there may not be much likelihood of success. So, maybe the real key is having the confidence of knowing that he or she will succeed.

6. Cripfemme

Cripfemme New Member

I think it is way worse to never try than to fail. If you never try you won't know what you are truly capable of. Then you will end up looking back on your life and wondering, "Could I have done this or that?" It's my goal not to have that question in my old age.

Samuel Mumba likes this.
  7. CrownedClown

CrownedClown New Member

Better to fail and continue with your life, then to regret not even trying. Heck if people were afraid of failure most would die alone. Risk brings chances. You have to take a risk in order to be given a chance.

8. Kate Greenwood

Kate Greenwood New Member

It is always better to try and fail than to do nothing. We learn and grow as a direct result of dealing with challenges. If you never try you're not making things happen in your life, things just happen TO you. An active approach is always preferable to being passive.

meckty likes this.
  9. kenlee

kenlee Member

If you are working for a good, even failure is no disappointment. At least you tried. Life is to be engaged, not endured.

10. meckty

meckty New Member

There is a lot to gain by trying, and if you fail, keep trying until you succeed. There are three types of people when it comes to failing or succeeding:
    • there are people that have tried once, failed, and quit
    • there are those that tried, failed, tried again, failed and quit
    • there is this group of people i so admire and i'm trying to learn from them. These are the people that keeps trying no matter the circumstances, failure or success they never surrender. They classify their failures as learning curve, a bend and not the end.

11. William Bougher

William Bougher New Member

I don't believe there is a worse answer to your question nakama.strong. In a way I would prefer not to try because the lack of achievement is on my own terms. Yet I would also prefer to fail because of the experience gained through the effort of trying, knowing what went wrong, and making adjustments.

12. RonnieLuv17

RonnieLuv17 Member

I believe that never trying is worse than failing. My reason for saying that is because although you fail at something, you can always try again. I was one of those people that thought,"Aw man I failed this stinks now I'm not even going to bother with it anymore," thing is that although I did fail I could have kept trying. Once people keep trying and trying for whatever it is that they are trying to complete or accomplish then it can happen. That is only if they keep trying though. It's like riding a bike, you fall off and scrape your knee? You're still going to want to try again because you know that it will take more than once to get up on that bike and succeed, right? So failure may be a downfall, but you can always try at it again until you get it right....:)

13. TFL Coach

TFL Coach New Member

In my opinion there are benefits to failing! Don't get me wrong, I never set out to fail but failure is always a possibility and if you experience failure you then have that knowledge to get you through the next time you try!

However, in your post you say "Should an individual attempt a task that has a high probability of failure?" If something has a high probability of failing, then I would be far more sceptical about starting, if not turn it down completely, in this instance a lot more research would need to be carried out. However, if you believe that you can bring something different/unique to an already saturated niche/market or whatever and you're confident that you can succeed (even if you eventually don't) then I would definately go for it!

Failure is disappointing, but I don't think it's a waste of time, you will probably learn far more from failure many times over than you will with one time success. However, if I had the choice I would opt for one time success :D

I have failed a few times over, a long time ago but I kept going, dusted myself down, got back on the metaphorical horse and re-joined the race. I definately learned a lot from failing!

I think it also depends on the type of person you are, if you're not good at coping with failure then it may not be a path you would want to try!

14. Pratik SAnghvi

Pratik SAnghvi New Member

Failure is surely disappointing and shatters one's confidence. But failure teaches us from our mistakes and we never repeat those mistakes again. Without Failing you can never succeed. The graph of life always does not go in the positive direction it also goes in the negative direction too. We should not be afraid from failure we should keep trying because we never know the outcome Unless and until we try.

15. Kei Himekawa

Kei Himekawa New Member

I'd rather fail than not try anything. I always believe that experience is the best teacher so it's best that you try something then fail and learn from it rather than not trying anything at all. Failures makes a person strong and knowledgeable :)

Linah likes this.
  16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock New Member

There's an old saying that 'Anyone who never made a mistake never made anything,' and like most old sayings, it's very true. Unless you try and fail, you will never realise your true potential. While I would never attempt a hopeless task - for example, I am terrified of heights, and my balance isn't great, so I'd never try to climb a mountain, or walk a tightrope - I will always take on a challenge. I fear the regret of a missed opportunity more than the prospect of failure. If I tried and failed, at least I know I tried and it just wasn't meant to happen. The point is, I may succeed, and that success may open up a whole new world for me.

rachelealessi likes this.
  17. Vishal Sharma

Vishal Sharma New Member

I will feel better when i failed, rather than never trying. If you never tried, you will regret whole of your life. Therefore, the better approach is to try, try and keep trying. If you never participate in a race you will never come to know if you would have won or lose. I was scared of heights but now i love rock climbing. It gives me immense pleasure to sit at the top of mountain and relax. For me it is an gratifying experience, but if i had never tried then i would have never experienced this.

18. blueeyes

blueeyes Member

I believe the minute you stop trying to succeed at something, you lose all your potential. Lets face it, any failures we have teach us valuable lessons and I honestly believe they should be part of our life. Mind you, it is not very nice to fail at anything but on the other side of the coin, what a joy it is to succeed. But to succeed you have to try. Its a vicious circle, isn't it:)

19. Razielis

Razielis New Member

Never trying is worse than failing at something, in my opinion. I mean failing is surely a let down, but how pathetic is it to never give it a try? You don't know if you'll achieve your goals until you try, and if it's a goal then it's something worth trying until you DO achieve it, no matter how many tries it takes. It also gives you practice, when you don't succeed just try and find out why so you can improve. It's a learning experience.

20. Rick

Rick New Member

There are benefits of failing a task or an endeavor. One will learn valuable lessons from a failure, and these lessons can be used for the rest of one's life. It is not a waste of time if we can learn from the failure, and move on. We need challenges such as failures, including tasks that have a high probability of failure.

We all learn by trial and error, we grow intellectually and morally from these travails. Life's successes would be less enjoyable without the disappointments.
    In conclusion, never trying is most certainly worse than failing at something.

gbeihold20 and Diana888 like this.
  21. runi

runi New Member

Like most have said before failing is much better than never trying. My parents have always taught me that you will miss 100% of the times that you do not try. Therefore I always try to push myself to try because it is better to fail than to never try at all.
    Personally most of the time I prefer to save myself the embarrassment of failing, I have a very strange fear of falling, but when I don't try sometimes it makes you feel worse. We only have one life, better make the most of it and try it all, you never know when its going to come around again.

22. wordtrance

wordtrance New Member

I think there are benefits when failing a task. For one, it can be a challenge for you to become better at it. Of course, you should also consider the reality that it may not be the one for you. But still, it's better to try than not to try at all. Some people do feel like they wasted their time, but the best thing to do when you experience something like that is to think of it as a learning experience.

23. SallyintheValley

SallyintheValley New Member

I agree with the majority of people here that it is better to have failed than never try. BUT, and this is where I differ from most people, one should know their limitations! Every person can NOT accomplish the same things. People who say to try, try, try until you succeed may be actually harming some people who do not have a realistic viewpoint of themselves. In those cases, gentle guidance and instruction on chosing a different path would be much kinder. My heart bleeds for the obviously untalented performer or athlete who has found themselves in unbearable circumstances trying to compete. Know your shortcomings and strengths is one of life's greatest talents. Try everything if you must, and then chose the right direction.

24. Ic3coldh20

Ic3coldh20 New Member

I'd rather fail than never try. If you fail, at least you went through the process of learning something. You'll be able to take that failure, learn from it, and turn it into success in the future. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

25. SallyintheValley41

SallyintheValley41 New Member

I agree with the majority of people here that it is better to have failed than never try. BUT, and this is where I differ from most people, one should know their limitations! Every person can NOT accomplish the same things. People who say to try, try, try until you succeed may be actually harming some people who do not have a realistic viewpoint of themselves. In those cases, gentle guidance and instruction on chosing a different path would be much kinder. My heart bleeds for the obviously untalented performer or athlete who has found themselves in unbearable circumstances trying to compete. Know your shortcomings and strengths is one of life's greatest talents. Try everything if you must, and then chose the right direction.

26. nameless

nameless New Member

Never trying is always worse. Always. That is because you will never learn if you never stick your head out of your comfort zone and you will always be stuck in your old previous mindset. By taking a risk and trying, you risk failure, but you also have a chance to succeed. And there is never an ultimate failure, because you will always be able to learn and gain something from your mistakes, and that alone counts as a success, and you will know the things to avoid the next time you try something again, and you will increase your chances to succeed.

Winners never quit.

27. beckyv1265

beckyv1265 Member

Last year my 9 and 10 year old boys played their first baseball season. Their team lost every game. My 9 year old said loudly to the 10 year old we really sucked. My ten year old said no we didn't . We sucked when we first started and didn't know how to play. At the end of the season both boys could hit a ball and catch one. They knew how to steal a base. They knew when to run and when to hold. So even though their team didn't win the championships or even a game I felt that they were successful in learning how to play the game and how to be part of a team. I believe that next year with lots of practice they will succeed in maybe winning a few. So I say define what success means to you. If you don't learn anything from a failure then you have lost. If success was easy more people would be successful. To me life is a journey of successes and failures. Its not about the end goal but the journey getting there. Live life and have fun. Work hard . Sweat a little. Cry a little. Love often.

28. UsuiTakumi

UsuiTakumi Member

I believe that never trying is worse than failing. There is always that slim chance that you CAN succeed but by not trying, you will never know.

As Rick said, we all learn by trial and error. We learn better when we make mistakes rather than our successes.

29. gyugu

gyugu New Member

In my opinion it is better to try and fail than doing nothing. There are benefits of failure. There are a few thing that I have tried to do. Although some of them fail I've gain new knowledge like how to use new software. What works and what does not work.

30. Patricia Blough

Patricia Blough New Member

nakamka.strong, there are definite benefits to failing, you learn! You certainly learn what didn't work and that will bring you closer to what will work. Thomas Edison, the inventor of the electric light bulb, was asked by a reporter how he felt about failing 1,000 times. Edison answered "I didn't fail 1,000 times. The light bulb is an invention with 1,000 steps".