Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by nakama.strong, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Pen29

Pen29 Member

You have to fail before you achieve it. No one is perfect. You have to take the risks. Action speaks louder than words and failing is normal, how you stand up from ups and downs, how you learned from mistakes is important. Never trying is not an option.

2. Makinaru

Makinaru New Member

Don't be afraid to try because you never know that you can do something if you never try. And, if you failed you will learn something for you to grow.

3. AlienOcean

AlienOcean New Member

Failing surely doesn't feel good.
    Hoping for something or hoping to achieve a goal and then have to face the fact that you won't reach your goal is tough.
    But isn't it worse not even trying? No one can know for sure what will happen and honestly I would be always asking myself whether or not I could've made it.
    For example last year my school was choosing 3 people to participate in an exchange program in which yeach student would go to France for 3 weeks, stay with a host family and study there and then host a student from the same school we studied in.
    I applied and I was sure I would never get the spot because they were picking students based on their grades and we were 5 students who applied.
    The first 2 studients we jnew for sure would've been chosen but then the 3rd student changed his mind and didn't wanna stay at a stranger's house.
    The girl who was chosen insted of him was preparing everything when they told her the french student was a boy and her mother freaked out and decided not to let her leave.
    So, in the end, I was chosen to go to France it has been one of the best experiences of my life! And I would've never lived it if I had never even tried!

4. dreamer12

dreamer12 New Member

It is better to fail than never trying. When we give ourselves permission to fail, we at the same time give ourselves permission to excel. The difference between a successful and unsuccessful person is that the successful person has failed 10 times more than the unsuccessful person. Success can be achieved only through repeated failure. Allow yourself to fail. And when you do, forgive yourself and act again. Never label anyone a failure. The dreaded Yakuza members cut off their fingers whenever they failed in an assignment. They get a sharp knife, wrap their little finger with a handkerchief so the blood won"t spurt, and slice it off. What a terrible thing to do. Because for the rest of their lives, they"ll look at their hand and remind themselves of their failure. Instead of spending your energies on condemning yourself, spend it on acting again and trying one more time.

5. edanio

edanio Member

Well for me failing is just an ordinary part of life and most of the time we failed because we lack the knowledge to deal with it, oftentimes mistakes were made that results to failure in anything that we do, a certain thing to achieve needs specific knowledge required for us to have, it is the fact that nobody on earth have gone no failures, all of us sometimes failed but the beauty of failing cannot be taught by any brilliant teachers, it is our best teacher, for every time we failed we learn from it, it makes us wiser that what we are than yesterday.

In the other hand, never trying is real worse because if you don't try you will never learn, your knowledge will become stagnant and eventually you will become a pessimistic who will always think of a negative effect in doing things. This will add up to a more complicated things in life such as fear, a person will develop a fear for everything it does and will soon have a severe personality setback.

6. jrydelposo

jrydelposo New Member

Albert Einstein said " You never fail until you stop trying" Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. If you don’t try at anything, you can’t fail… it takes back bone to lead the life you want. Most of all, when you take risks you learn that there will be times when you succeed and there will be times when you fail, and both are equally important.

7. Venchy

Venchy New Member

Never trying because you'll never know if you didn't try, right? So before you say that it's impossible to do, why not try first and see the result.

8. Jeahan08

Jeahan08 Member

Never trying because you’ll never know if you tried to do it then you can do it. Even though you’re failing atleast you’v tried no regrets, no what if.

9. Babysj

Babysj New Member

Failures are quite painful, not trying is regrettable. For me, both are worse, but not trying won't help. I'd better fail and used it as a motivation to be better, everyone goes through it I guess. Failures powerful it may destroy everyone's' life, on the other hand, individual with a strong personality will use it to strive harder and be close to success.

10. Seriphif

Seriphif Member

I believe for most human beings and for most endeavors, it is always better to try and fail than to never have tried. Whether or not you should try something with a high probability of failure depends on the person and the thing they are trying.
    Several things must be taken into consideration truthfully answered and calculated. Are you the type of person who will crumble if you were to fail? Can you handle succeeding? Does success truly out weight the risk, are you trying this for a valid reason, what would the collateral damage be. Can knowledge can be gained even if the attempt fails?
    Life is a practice, if you never try you learn nothing. Not to mention that lingering what if thought, Kill Bill put it best, Do you want to die with regret or relief? You benefit from what you learn, one way or another, so you didn't waste your time. Perhaps you are disappointed because you didn't see the whole picture and expected too much.

11. mchll

mchll New Member

Never trying is worse as you have not given what you've got. How can people see what you can do if you didn't try and let them see it.

12. quercitron

quercitron Member

It is better to fail rather than regret never trying things out. Whenever you fail, you learn something. You get something from that experience that makes you one step closer to being the person you want to become. Reflecting back on your actions, you had the courage to commit to the action despite knowing that you could fail. Failing does not mean stopping and it being the end of your desired outcomes. It is simply a process that you needed to undergo in order to learn and realize something.

13. yetyet

yetyet Member

How would we knew that we fail if didn't even give a try?. Never trying is worse than failing. Life always gives us a lot of things and surprises and situations that pushes us to the limit. In cases like that, we have to decide on whether to take it or not, to give a it a try or ignore it, to came out from our shell or expand our horizon, it's all because doubt of one's capability came first before anything. We are always afraid of failure and tend to forget that we are human and our capability to do things are limitless but because of doubt it became limited. We have to change our mindset, we should stop from playing safe, we have to always give a try in everything because in that way we get to know more on things that we can or can't do. We should not be afraid of failure, it's always part of our living, in failure we learn a lot of things, how do we learn lessons in life if we don't fail, and how do we know we fail if we don't even give a try. Have confidence, always give it a try.

14. justyhet

justyhet New Member

The reason why we are afraid to try is because we are afraid to fail, but how do we know that we fail if we don't give ourselves a try?. Never trying is worst than failing because when we try to experiment, to explore, and go beyond that's the time we discover something new. We have to came out from our comfort zone and expand our horizon for us to find out the things that we can do or not, achieve or not and things that are useful or not in our existence. Successful individual are not afraid of failing, they may fail a hundred or million times but through their failure they learn a lot and they used it in reaching their goals and dreams. Being always afraid to fail is not a good character to posses, it is the character that is not afraid to try that will brought us to our pedestal.

15. Shawty05

Shawty05 New Member

Failing and never trying are part of worst thing in all aspect of our life. However how you will educate yourself if you're not going to try and learned from mistake. Just always keep positive and focus on every single positive instinct.

16. TRYING why? Because if you failed ATLEAST YOU TRIED ATLEST theres a LITTLE PROCESS in our life. LIFE IS NOT ABOUT HOW BIG and SMALL your achievement is its about the process you did in your life. INSTEAD OF SLEEPING IN YOUR HOUSE MAKE A LITTLE PROCESS APPLY SIDELINE JOBS do the things that make you GROW and WORTHY AS A PERSON. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT WE CAN'T PLESE ANYONE BUT WE CAN DO A PROCESS IN OUR LIFE SO PEOPLE WILL PLEASE TO US.

17. Amester2003

Amester2003 New Member

Never trying is worse, without trying how are suppose to know what you are good/bad at and what you should improve on. When no one tries, the society wouldn't progress. Everything would be stagnant.

18. MoCuishle4

MoCuishle4 New Member

Creo que es definitivamente mucho peor no haberlo intentado.
    El echo de fallar, es lo que nos hace aprender, avanzar y evolucionar.
    ¿No aprende un niño a andar despues de haber caido y levantado demasiadas veces como para contarlas?
    ¿No aprendemos a resolver problemas matematicos tras fallar y darle vueltas?
    Y en la vida en pareja y en la vida personal, ¿no aprendemos tras tener un problema, no aprendemos como verlo o resolverlo desde otros puntos?
    Si no intentas ni siquiera hacer algo, siempre te quedara pendiente el saber que habria pasado. Si hubieses fallado ¿lo habrias seguido intentando?, ¿y si lo hubieses logrado a la primera?
    Prefiero fallar mil veces y saber que al menos he dado todo de mi, que ni siquiera haberlo intentado.

19. analth

analth New Member

I hate to answer the questions like this, because it really depends on the situation, you will regret if you don't try, but what if the failure will almost kill you or letting you lose everything?

Instead of choosing two bad decision that make you having a bad time, maybe think another better decision, maybe it won't have too much gain but less risk and it still can lead you to your goal or dream.

20. shigitau

shigitau New Member

In failing you learn but if you do nothing,then you will never know what your gain would have been.At the same time do your research because you might also end up chasing a feather from the wrong bird.By researching you are actually heading to a path of awareness,and that way your action becomes more focused

21. ilanthirayan

ilanthirayan New Member

There is nothing worse than never trying.
    take olympic athletes for example.they always wake up at 5am everyday.whether it is a christmas or halloween.nothing matters.all for that single moment that comes once in four years.out of thousand people only one wins.but you can see their patience, perseverance.that's the spirit.

whereas in many case most people even don't make a try.obviously time is precious and it never comes again.i really feel sorry for those people not trying or not doing anything in their life.everyone dreams.even kittens dreams.it's our life.we must make try.winning or loosing is always secondary.

22. skifimba

skifimba New Member

I would agree with the most here and say, never trying is the thing that would hold you back for a long time. If something is on your mind you should simply execute.

That one thing could change your life for the good. That could be simple things as talking to that beautiful girl you have come across on the street, taking that job interview or just simply offering an unreturnable help to someone.

Do not be afraid and make your move. Count failure as a form of success too :)

23. stphniemaun

stphniemaun New Member

Never trying is worse than failing. Because if you never try, you will never know if you will succeed. Failing means you try and try again. And it means that if you fail, you can do it again and learn. But if you never try, you will never learn.

24. iwisting

iwisting Member

I think for us just having a limited time and once-in-lifetime chances better consider trying. Yes, you could fall by trying but we'll never know that some of our tries will be worth it. We really couldn't tell that's why we want to take risk. Falling is not that scary because you know you did your best but never trying is a different thing. You'll be left wondering or regretting that somehow, some part of your life you never tried.

25. LFuentes

LFuentes New Member

Looking at the posts in this discussion i see a lot of comments like "better to fail than never trying" or "you have to fail before you achieve it" and such.

Although i agree with posters stating that people must try to achieve, i think that there should be a method for it. According to Sun Tzu:

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

Moral is that victorious warriors plan in advance, analyze variables, consider multiple scenarios and manage the logistical aspects of the battlefield before going to war. That philosophy allows generals to win the battle with little to no probabilities of failure.

My point is that we shouldn't be afraid of trying to achieve our goals, but we should do it methodically and with logistic sense. Through my life i've seen people repeatedly trying to achieve something with no results just because they try to do it without a plan, or with a false sense of confidence because they feel they can do it because "they are great".

Quoting Einstein:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

26. choii0422

choii0422 Member

My dad keeps on telling me, Try and try baby until you succeed! That’s why dont blame yourself when you failed, because numbere one worst will happen to you when you cant try.

27. vebselpo

vebselpo Member

Worse is the one who never attempted to try. The answer for this person would always be a NO because fear always takes place. We are not measured by our failures in life but if how we tried to make things right.
    There's no limit in trying whatever that can make us successful or fulfilled. It's alright to rest because we tend to get tired of so many troubles, just rest and do not quit.

28. Jearnado

Jearnado New Member

What's worse is the regret you feel after not even trying.

When you fail at least the next time you attempt to do the same thing you know what you need to improve. You learn something from failing. Better to have people asking why you do it until they ask you how you did it.

29. always stand up never give up.

30. Brentnacionales

Brentnacionales New Member

Life is at its best. You Only Live Ones. These are just some sayings that millenials live about. Never trying is worse that failing. In failing, you learned lessons and might do it again your best - if you fail, you do it again and it is always or most of the time gives you best or increased results for some, it could be a motivation. But, Never trying something makes you miss half of your life as experience, memories and stories to tell to your young ones. :)